Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Actually on a one year deal there doesn't have to be that much difference in money. You start negotiating at 12 mil and go down from there. Maybe he'd take 8 or 9. As for the two indentured servitude clauses those will have to be dropped. They don't need Fitz as their insurance policy. They can go in another direction without Fitz. Like sign Hoyer (who will be a UFA in 2017) to back up Hack and there will be other guys available who can start if Hack is not ready.  Or go for it and sign another starting Qb like Tyrod Taylor. Plus they save guaranteed money. So it's stupid to go further in that direction by Mac if that is the point of contention which it seems to be. 

On one hand, I do get why the Jets want Fitz under contract for years 17 and 18.  Certainly for 17.  Looking at Petty and Hackenberg, there is no assurance one will be ready to start.  The hope is one will be, perhaps both ready in the sense one will start, the other be viewed as an acceptable backup.  But as of now?  No assurance either will be ready.

Having said that, it also makes no sense to put this season in the toilet just to maintain the team's options in 17, or even 17 and 18.  As you say there will be other options, including of course possibly signing Fitz to another deal if it comes to that.

The discussion here and I take it among too much of the fanbase gets focused on some combo of complaining about Fitz supposedly not being worth as much as is offered in 16 and saying adding that number to the current offer in 17 and 18 is too much.  But the FO Homers do not question why it is so important to get a 3 year deal. 

My suggestion of a compromise was to make 17 and 18 years option years for the Jets with no guarantees, but at a higher salary if the option(s) is/are exercised.  But as between a one year deal and the 3 year one currently on the table, the one year deal makes more sense to me.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

My suggestion of a compromise was to make 17 and 18 years option years for the Jets with no guarantees, but at a higher salary if the option(s) is/are exercised.  But as between a one year deal and the 3 year one currently on the table, the one year deal makes more sense to me.

There is a really good reason why a one year deal doesn't make sense: if Fitz has a good year then we're back in the same boat next year with him wanting even more money. The front office must believe we are decently competitive for the playoffs to spend any serious money on Fitz--or any QB not already on the roster. Otherwise we're just throwing away salary space for the **** of it. No rational GM signs a QB to that kind of deal unless he believes the QB is going to be worth it. So if you want one year of Fitz you want to at least have a shot at getting him back for a reasonable sum for at least 2017 if not 2018 as well. 

Taking one year with two option years is an okay option for the team although they will have to pay Fitz something this year for the options. A higher salary in the next two years is nice but it still allows the Jets to get something (the options) for potentially nothing to Fitz. His agent will want more money this year. 

5 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

There is a really good reason why a one year deal doesn't make sense: if Fitz has a good year then we're back in the same boat next year with him wanting even more money. The front office must believe we are decently competitive for the playoffs to spend any serious money on Fitz--or any QB not already on the roster. Otherwise we're just throwing away salary space for the **** of it. No rational GM signs a QB to that kind of deal unless he believes the QB is going to be worth it. So if you want one year of Fitz you want to at least have a shot at getting him back for a reasonable sum for at least 2017 if not 2018 as well. 

Taking one year with two option years is an okay option for the team although they will have to pay Fitz something this year for the options. A higher salary in the next two years is nice but it still allows the Jets to get something (the options) for potentially nothing to Fitz. His agent will want more money this year. 

I didn't say a one year deal is optimal, with no potential issues.  You are correct there are issues.  But being a player and locking one's self into two years of successive pay cuts no matter how well you have played is also a problem. 

And the big problem will be if in trying to get Fitz to be on the hook for 17 and 18, no deal at all is done, and the 16 season goes down the toilet, how is that an effective approach?

Too many here accept "the logic" of the FO's position without acknowledging that if the end result is no deal, then nothing will have been accomplished by insisting on a 3 year deal.

The New York Jets open training camp July 27 at their year-round facility in Florham Park, New Jersey. Here’s a closer look at the Jets' camp, which wraps up on Aug. 24 :

Top storyline : Who's the starting quarterback ? The Jets aren't the only team facing this question, but they're the only one with a quarterback competition taking place off the field -- front office versus agent. Welcome back to the Ryan Fitzpatrick saga, one of the most bizarre contract disputes in recent memory. Crunch time is fast approaching, as the Jets have indicated their desire to have it resolved by training camp. Don't bet on it; this could go into camp. Chances are, it'll get done at some point, but it's not a slam dunk. As we learned with Muhammad Wilkerson, negotiations are hard to predict. If the impasse lingers into August, it will be a major distraction -- a media feeding frenzy. Only the Jets create drama like this.

If the starting QB doesn't … re-sign, the Jets are in trouble. They say they'd be comfortable with Geno Smith as the starter, but let's be real: This is Fitzpatrick's team. Even though last season may have been an aberration -- he set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes -- he still offers more hope than Smith, whose career record as a starter is 11-18. Plus, if they lose Fitzpatrick, they'd have to sign an experienced No. 2. because neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg is ready.

rest of above article : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61094/with-camp-approaching-jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-qb-drama-intensifies

Just now, joewilly12 said:

It was a GIF I rest my case you have nothing are nothing know nothing it showed Fitzpatrick under pressure succumbing to in a pitiful manner.

I know the Jets current FO views Fitz as a better QB than Geno, but you just keep churning out those Pats highlights...LOL

Fitz or no Fitz the Jets are going to have a good season and make the playoffs. I've been a Jets fan longer than many of you have probably been alive, 1969. I have endured the "same old Jets" syndrome for a generation but I think it's gonna be different this year. Why? Good coaching staff, a top 5 NFL defense, much improved speed at LB positions, a great tandem WR package, Matt Forte who is gonna open the Offense up on many levels and keep defences on their heels. Yeah the QB issue. Not worried about it. O line, a little concerned. Special teams ??? An unknown. Even with the schedule I'm optimistic for the first time in a long time. Can't wait. 

43 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Let me know when the Jets play in their 5th straight AFCCG.

We played in 2 in a row and that had many of the fans here set for life.

The only thing better was Penningtons 41-0 route of Indy.

They'll make excuses all the way to a 1st round loss.

Exactly one week now until the Jets report to training camp, next Wednesday. 

And here is a less-than-encouraging report about free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, from ESPN's Jeremy Fowler : 

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jets have time to close gap, but I’m told as of now both sides haven’t talked in over a month.

All offseason, Fitzpatrick and the Jets have been locked in a contract stalemate. In March, the Jets offered Fitzpatrick a three-year, $24 million contract that includes $15 million in guaranteed pay and $12 million in Year 1.Despite no other team being willing to pay Fitzpatrick what he wants, he hasn't signed the Jets' offer. There's a chance this stalemate could drag on into camp. 

Meanwhile, Fitzpatrick has decided to not renew the lease on his Chatham rental house, though it's not clear exactly why. And wide receiver Brandon Marshall has expressedconcern that Fitzpatrick hasn't returned his recent text messages, though it's also not clear why that happened. 

The Jets cleared $5.701 million in 2016 salary cap space by signing defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson to a five-year contract. (And remember, the Jets and Wilkersonweren't talking at all until just before he signed his deal.) But they still must clear about $6.7 million to $7.7 million in additional cap space, if they want to fit Fitzpatrick under their cap at that $12 million number. The Jets can do that by restructuring contracts of players currently on the roster. 

Jets coach Todd Bowles has said there is no drop-dead deadline for the Jets to re-sign Fitzpatrick. But Bowles didn't sound too comfortable with the possibility of the Fitzpatrick stalemate dragging on past the first couple weeks of camp. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/jets_ryan_fitzpatrick_havent_talked_in_over_a_mont.html#incart_river_index

16 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Fitz or no Fitz the Jets are going to have a good season and make the playoffs. I've been a Jets fan longer than many of you have probably been alive, 1969. I have endured the "same old Jets" syndrome for a generation but I think it's gonna be different this year. Why? Good coaching staff, a top 5 NFL defense, much improved speed at LB positions, a great tandem WR package, Matt Forte who is gonna open the Offense up on many levels and keep defences on their heels. Yeah the QB issue. Not worried about it. O line, a little concerned. Special teams ??? An unknown. Even with the schedule I'm optimistic for the first time in a long time. Can't wait. 

The 2016 NY Jets are the sleeper team in the AFC

4 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Sure they are, every July the Jets are the sleeper team in the AFC.

Too bad September has to roll around.

lance-armstrong-doping-wh-008.jpeg

5 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Let me know the relevance of your troll response.  Because none of your asinine remarks make you smart or answer the question 

Let me know the relevance of your troll response.  Because none of your asinine remarks make you smart or answer the question 

First off, I am very smart.

Second, those are facts.

Pats have played in 5 straight AFCCG's.

Jets haven't sniffed the playoffs in the last 5 years.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Second, those are facts.

Your QB is suspended for a quarter of the upcoming season for cheating. There is something to be said for honor, though it is sadly overlooked in this day and age. 

Your QB is suspended for a quarter of the upcoming season for cheating. There is something to be said for honor, though it is sadly overlooked in this day and age. 

Are you serious?

The only thing that matters in the NFL is winning.

You want honor, go support your local Pop Warner team.

57 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Second, those are facts.

Again, what the Patriots have done had nothing to do with what I said.  To keep answering. Question that was never asked doesn't make you smart.

it does pound home that you're a troll who's not very smart

On 19/07/2016 at 3:07 PM, Mike135 said:

Text Message Conversation 

Marshall (to Fitz):  "Waaaasssss-uppppp Fitz-MAGIC?    Ya lucky bastard!  You got to miss OTAs.  Man those suck.  But you did miss Decker's wife!  Like WHOA :strip1:!  So when ya finally coming back?"

Fitz (to Marshall):  "Hey bud.  Good to hear from ya.  Actually I wanted to talk to you about that.  I'm real close to coming back, just need your help with something."

Marshall (to Fitz):  "Anything man!  I loooove you.  You're so great!  ...and that beard!  Whatcha need my homie?  Just name it.  Anything."

Fitz (to Marshall):  "Macc will be in touch with you.  Thanks man, appreciate it."

Macc (to Marshall):  "Hi Brandon, it's Macc.  Hope you and your family are enjoying the break.  My family and I are.  (But I still can't get Decker's wife outta my head.  Like WHOA!  She can get this Deck!  Amirite?  She better be around during camp.)  Fitz wanted me to reach out to you."

Marshall (to Macc):  "No doubt!  Mrs. Decker...  'sooooo hot, want to touch the heiny'.  What's up?  What do you need for my man Fitz?"

Macc (to Marshall):  "At the end of the day, gonna need you and a couple others to take a 10% pay cut."

Marshall (to Macc):  "Phuck you!  Phuck Fitz (dumbass, weak armed, nasty @ss beard having loser of a QB)  Geno is my boy!  Got it?"

Macc (to Marshall):  "lmao...  I knew it!  Fitz called me saying you and others were down to help any way possible.  I didn't believe him, but had to check.  Mangold, Decker and Revis all said the same.  See ya in a couple weeks."

Marshall (to Macc):  "Besides didn't you see that fan poll on JetNation.com?  Over 2/3s would rather roll with Geno instead of paying Fitz over 7mil."

Macc (to Fitz):  "Sorry man, NFLPA won't let guys take pay cuts for you."

Fitz (to Agent):  "Macc says NFLPA won't allow my guys to take pay cuts."

Agent (to Fitz):  "Lies.  I spoke to their agents.  Man, they're not taking pay cuts for you.  They screwed ya.  I say we keep holding out for what you're worth.  No less than 15mil per!  If it's not the Jets, so be it.  (Though it'll suck not seeing Mrs. Decker!)"

Fitz (to Agent):  "Phuckin dicks.  Don't they know I got 10 wins last season?  They're nothing w/o me.  Ok, 15mil it is."

Days later...

Marshall (to Fitz):  "What up Fitzy?  Reporters nagging me about you.  When ya coming back?  Remember, I'll help however I can."

Fitz (to Agent):  "Marshall is texting me... should I reply?  Fyi, I may be rethinking things.  I was playing some ball with neighborhood kids and a couple of them have stronger arms than I do.  Maybe we should take whatever they're offering?"

Agent (to Fitz):  "No way.  Don't talk to or text anyone!  I got this.  Trust me.  A 15mil offer is coming any day now."

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MY NOMINATION FOR POST OF THE YEAR. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Are you serious?

The only thing that matters in the NFL is winning.

You want honor, go support your local Pop Warner team.

You are right.  

When you're a shltty fan who jumps on the bandwagon at the start of a teams winning, wins would be important.

Now you can be half a man and walk into a bar, puff out your chest and proclaim that you've been a diehard Pats fan since 2001.

Too bad the cowboys still sucked in 01.  Another 2 years you would have been BoysFanTX

True blue  

Keep that in mind when you start 0-4 this season.

Your team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 5 years.

And you're crapping on a team that has won the AFCE 8 straight years and played in the AFCCG 5 straight years?

Must be great to be a Jets fan.

Congrats.

You are right.  

When you're a shltty fan who jumps on the bandwagon at the start of a teams winning, wins would be important.

Now you can be half a man and walk into a bar, puff out your chest and proclaim that you've been a diehard Pats fan since 2001.

Too bad the cowboys still sucked in 01.  Another 2 years you would have been BoysFanTX

True blue  

You don't have a clue, do you?

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

And you're crapping on a team that has won the AFCE 8 straight years and played in the AFCCG 5 straight years?

Congrats.

TX no biting remember when you brought home the stray dog and your parents said you can keep him as long as he doesn't bite anybody.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:40 AM, southparkcpa said:

FUKK FITZ.   This is like a prom date who disses you for weeks and on the day of the prom realizes her date wont show and then you still think you can take her.

Only an insecure, weak man would take her back. Thats a lot of JETS fans I suppose.

At this point , I dont care what FITZ does.  Ill come out and state it...I hope he doesnt come back.

He has NEVER, not once, seen a playoff game with a better view than me.  Why would any reasonable fan think he is a difference maker?

He has clearly shown the only difference he will make is you are certain to again MISS THE PLAYOFFS.

What do you think by getting emotional in your post that Fitz is going to read it, feel bad that your upset, and suddenly sign???!! Hold your breath and see how soon that happens...

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Pats will finish dead last in afc this yr.. Father Time is finally going to catch up with Tammy Brady 

What you just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even remotely be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. 

11 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Congrats.

We sniffed it last year. Since some of our fans love "almost statistics" we almost won and made it last year. Kembrall Thompkins almost caught that TD pass. So if almost interceptions count why not almost playoffs. Again football is not just winning SBs And your team hasn't won that many. Most years they don't win. Does that mean you didn't have fun. It's entertainment first. I had a good time last year I don't know about these guys. They probably never have a good time. Go out and do a little tail gating and lighten up. Have a beer... and send your bill to Tex. For all of the endless bragging he does he owes us a couple hundred of cases. :beer:

7 hours ago, Mainejet said:

What you just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even remotely be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. 

Lol ahh a closet pats fan ! Now it all makes sense.. listen I don't know what you and Tex have been do late at night on the weekend parked in dodgy areas but next time please cover the windows people have been forging complaints

9 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Ryan fatzpatrick? That's a seriously unflattering angle, the gut looks massive and the camel toe is not a good look

This pic was taken today at a golf tournament... Is Fitz really out of shape? Or is it just the shirt..imagejpeg

He's weak no muscles flab he's got what they call a dad body,Geno is pumped up muscular in shape ready to lead this team to the playoffs.

Archived