Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

I don't know he will or not, but Im hoping he doesn't because he doesn't offer an upside to the team in the long run or even in the short term.

Geno in a game that had no meaning for the Jets but meant everything for the Dolphins, had a perfect QB rating n that was without Marshall.
Fitz, in a game that meant everything to the Jets and nothing for the opponents, had his worst game of the year with healthy Decker n Marshall.

Even if we sign Fitz for $12mil, I still feel Geno will outplay him. It would then depend on the FO whether they wanna go with the better player like Seattle did or save their face n keep the overpriced journeyman under center.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, j4jets said:

I don't know he will or not, but Im hoping he doesn't because he doesn't offer an upside to the team in the long run or even in the short term.

Geno in a game that had no meaning for the Jets but meant everything for the Dolphins, had a perfect QB rating n that was without Marshall.
Fitz, in a game that meant everything to the Jets and nothing for the opponents, had his worst game of the year with healthy Decker n Marshall.

Even if we sign Fitz for $12mil, I still feel Geno will outplay him. It would then depend on the FO whether they wanna go with the better player like Seattle did or save their face n keep the overpriced journeyman under center.

That game meant nothing to the Dolphins and they had rolled over that game hard. They barely even showed up. 

But on Wednesday evening, the internet was dying to know whether Fitzpatrick had let himself go. The evidence is a photograph of Fitzpatrick at a celebrity golf tournament near Lake Tahoe, Nev., according to Twitter: 

This pic was taken today at a golf tournament... Is Fitz really out of shape? Or is it just the shirt...

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitz is hoping the Jets crumble he wants to get paid this is probably his last contract.

The Jets are not gonna crumble.

The only way Fitz gets any leverage back is if some QB goes down for season during the pre-season.

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

You could not be more wrong.   Go back and watch the Geno Miami game.   Miami quit in a big way.   Watch how Geno got his numbers, all easy throws to wide open wrs. 

That said Bills were trying like crazy.  Rex was always great at getting his teams up for a end of season games.  

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, he will not.

This is no longer about athletics.  This is a business negotiation, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is an employee who has overvalued himself and has backed himself into a corner against a corporation that is not interested in changing their position.  Compounding matters, he is at the end of his career and has made more than enough money to sustain his lifestyle which from all appearances appears to be rather humble.  The Jets have put him in a position where he will have to compromise his values and work for less than he feels he is worth.

Add it all up, Ryan Fitzpatrick will not be a Jet, he will sit idly by and wait for the first contending NFL team to lose its quarterback to a devastating injury and then he will do what he does best-  pack his bags, play the journeyman, and collect more money for this single season elsewhere than he would have from the Jets, save face, and try for the big long-term payday in 2017.

SAR I

Drives a late-90's 3-series. Y'all need to take notes. ^^^

He'll be back. He's not leaving 12 million on the table. Whether he's set or not he's not stupid, coming off his best year ever, and even if another team loses their starting QB chances are they won't be in a position to give him more than 12 million.

They should send him a new contract offer right before camp starts that reduces the over from 12 million to 6 million if he loses the starters job in camp. It's not out of the question ( he's a game managing journeyman who has NEVER made the playoffs).

Your team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 5 years.

And you're crapping on a team that has won the AFCE 8 straight years and played in the AFCCG 5 straight years?

Must be great to be a Jets fan.

Congrats.

Leave Tex alone, everybody, he's special...cc15a37a307bd33ce2fb3417727f7525.jpg

15 hours ago, cant wait said:

Unless fitz retires, which I think is a distinct possibility, then yes. I wouldn't blame him either... there was a couple rushing plays last season where he looked like he got his bell rung and I'm sure there's a point where the risk of head injuries outweighs the dollars

He has been ordered to slide, but simply refuses to. If Fitz doesn't play I will blame him and NOT Maccagnan. I think the Jets offer is more than enough and they should not get into a bidding war with themselves. I hate Geno Smith, but he is not going to be with the Jets beyond this season. If Jets have losing season, I will have a Haitian make me a Fitzpatrick voodoo doll which I will mercilessly rip apart.

10 hours ago, cant wait said:

something like "I don't want to retire (but I will unless I get my number)" I'm not saying he will retire, but he may decide another year isn't worth it if he's not happy with the offer. It's a very personal decision, especially for a smart guy in good health with 5 kids at home. its called FU money for a reason and I'm sure he's got enough in the bank to live on if he decides to move on

He'd still be an idiot if decided to retire. It's not like he wouldn't be there for his kids. He always expected to play this season anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

He has been ordered to slide, but simply refuses to. If Fitz doesn't play I will blame him and NOT Maccagnan. I think the Jets offer is more than enough and they should not get into a bidding war with themselves. I hate Geno Smith, but he is not going to be with the Jets beyond this season. If Jets have losing season, I will have a Haitian make me a Fitzpatrick voodoo doll which I will mercilessly rip apart.

Well, I WILL blame MacCagnan. There's no excuse for not getting the guy that played QB the best since Brett Favre was here. Especially when the going market rate for a veteran starting QB is around 18 million per season. Even more so no excuses when you consider Fitz was willing to play for less than 18 million per season. What will anger everyone even more is GENO starting. They'll see that stupid f*ck running out on the field, doing his best impression of a turnover machine, turning multiple positive plays into negative ones. They'll also be angry to begin with because they wanted so badly to see Geno Smith get cut altogether. Quite frankly, that's a pretty long list of reasons that are legitimate. Those are reasons just about everyone will see in the NY papers and it will make their blood pressure go through the roof.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, I WILL blame MacCagnan. There's no excuse for not getting the guy that played QB the best since Brett Favre was here. Especially when the going market rate for a veteran starting QB is around 18 million per season. Even more so no excuses when you consider Fitz was willing to play for less than 18 million per season. What will anger everyone even more is GENO starting. They'll see that stupid f*ck running out on the field, doing his best impression of a turnover machine, turning multiple positive plays into negative ones. They'll also be angry to begin with because they wanted so badly to see Geno Smith get cut altogether. Quite frankly, that's a pretty long list of reasons that are legitimate. Those are reasons just about everyone will see in the NY papers and it will make their blood pressure go through the roof.

If my memory serves me right Fitzpatrick was a turnover machine in the most important game of the season 3 INTs in a row he won nothing here but have a decent season the ceiling is low considering the success of QBs within the history of the organization. Resilient fans like myself have supported this team through thick and thin I sat out every game during the 1-15 season with Kotite when the smoke clears I will still be a fan with or without Fitzpatrick you should try it sometimes you root for the team not the players stop the Geno hate.

3 hours ago, EM31 said:

The Jets weren't going to crumble on Mo either until they crumbled on Mo.

The Jets had a one year, $15.7(?)M offer on the table for Mo, and saved the team over $5M against the cap by signing him to a long term deal. Not to mention that he's a young, top five (or better) player at his position. 

Fitz is not, shall we say, a top five performer at his position. Also not young. And going from the three year deal on the table to the one year deal Fitz wants will almost certainly cost the team more -not less- against the cap this season. And even after Mo's cap cutting contract, the team is still tight against the cap with their first round pick still unsigned. 

So yeah, extremely different situations. 

Seems like the FO is pretty tight lipped about what's going on with contract negotiations considering the last minute Mo contract. No leaks on that one. I got to think if Coach Bowles and Chan felt insecure with what they have he would be signed already, but who the hell knows. There was a decent article today on how Geno performed the last 5 games he played. Completed- 65%, 1266 yds, 8 TDs, 3 int. We'll all find out soon I hope and then we can put this all to bed.

I don't think the Mo deal was that smart. The smart move was keeping the tag on him. Again the cap excuses for not giving Fitz a one year deal make no sense at all. It would save the Jets guaranteed money. If Fitz is good and they want him back it will cost them money, sure if he has a good season and they want him back to start.  Next year could be a rebuilding year. And there might be a lot of cap space if they cut players. 

36 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

So out of one side of your mouth, the Jets suck because they played a super easy schedule last season. Out of the other, Fitzpatrick is a record setting QB we should be happy to have for the bargain price of less than $18M/year. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. 

In 1967, Joe Namath became the first professional QB to throw for over 4000 yards. He also had 26 TDs that year. Mark Sanchez tied that 26 TD record a couple years ago. In a league where the best QBs often throw for over 5000 yards, that 4007 mark from 1967 still stands as the Jets record. Breaking Jets passing records is the epitome of no big deal. Also, Brett Favre had the same 1:1 TD:int ratio as Geno Smith had two years ago, with Geno putting up a better ypa number despite not doing as well in comp%. Again, performing better than past Jet passers means basically nothing. Especially against an historically easy schedule. 

9 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Seems like the FO is pretty tight lipped about what's going on with contract negotiations considering the last minute Mo contract. No leaks on that one. I got to think if Coach Bowles and Chan felt insecure with what they have he would be signed already, but who the hell knows. There was a decent article today on how Geno performed the last 5 games he played. Completed- 65%, 1266 yds, 8 TDs, 3 int. We'll all find out soon I hope and then we can put this all to bed.

Macc and Bowles know all too well what Fitzpatrick brings to the table if the Jets had any plans to make him the 2016 QB he would have been signed already I think the Jets have moved on and will roll the dice with Geno.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I hope he plays just one snap and one snap only. Just to prove all the no people wrong. That'll show you. That'll show all of you.

So you're wishing he plays 1 snap and blows out his achiiles?????????????  Is this what you are saying????????????

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Geno is set up to do great things this season. I think he will do well. He may not have a Pro Bowl season, but he will once again cut down on turnovers (something he did the last full season he played) and increase his TDs and completion %. The improvement on both sides of the ball and a better understanding of the offensive scheme will serve him well.

I think there are a lot of fans that want to see Geno succeed and understand that this is the last and best opportunity for him to do so. Nobody will be 'angry' at Geno if he starts and plays well, even when the Jets don't win. There are some really tough games early on and most will not expect the Jets to go much more than .500 during that stretch. I think Geno can do that and, barring injury, finish out the season as a starter, pushing the Jets to get into contention for a playoff spot late in the season.      

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

If my memory serves me right Fitzpatrick was a turnover machine in the most important game of the season 3 INTs in a row he won nothing here but have a decent season the ceiling is low considering the success of QBs within the history of the organization. Resilient fans like myself have supported this team through thick and thin I sat out every game during the 1-15 season with Kotite when the smoke clears I will still be a fan with or without Fitzpatrick you should try it sometimes you root for the team not the players stop the Geno hate.

Being a Jets fan has always been my thing. For you to question that shows how little you know. I always root for the team and YES, I tend to get very picky about the players. Don't like it? Don't read my posts. But most of all, I want what is best for the NYJ and under no circumstances will Geno Smith EVER be what is best for the team. Fitz on his worst day is far better than Geno could ever hope to be.

1 hour ago, slats said:

So out of one side of your mouth, the Jets suck because they played a super easy schedule last season. Out of the other, Fitzpatrick is a record setting QB we should be happy to have for the bargain price of less than $18M/year. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. 

In 1967, Joe Namath became the first professional QB to throw for over 4000 yards. He also had 26 TDs that year. Mark Sanchez tied that 26 TD record a couple years ago. In a league where the best QBs often throw for over 5000 yards, that 4007 mark from 1967 still stands as the Jets record. Breaking Jets passing records is the epitome of no big deal. Also, Brett Favre had the same 1:1 TD:int ratio as Geno Smith had two years ago, with Geno putting up a better ypa number despite not doing as well in comp%. Again, performing better than past Jet passers means basically nothing. Especially against an historically easy schedule. 

You need to start listening better.. Or better yet don't even respond to my posts you don't seem to be smart enough to be able to read between the lines.

6 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You need to start listening better.. Or better yet don't even respond to my posts you don't seem to be smart enough to be able to read between the lines.

So what is it? Does Slats have to listen better to what you're saying or does he have to "read between the lines" of what you're really saying? You make no sense bro. 

I cant wait for training camp to begin. This is the last week of non-football in 2016. This has been one of the most ridiculous offseason's in recent memory. 

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Geno is set up to do great things this season. I think he will do well. He may not have a Pro Bowl season, but he will once again cut down on turnovers (something he did the last full season he played) and increase his TDs and completion %. The improvement on both sides of the ball and a better understanding of the offensive scheme will serve him well.

I think there are a lot of fans that want to see Geno succeed and understand that this is the last and best opportunity for him to do so. Nobody will be 'angry' at Geno if he starts and plays well, even when the Jets don't win. There are some really tough games early on and most will not expect the Jets to go much more than .500 during that stretch. I think Geno can do that and, barring injury, finish out the season as a starter, pushing the Jets to get into contention for a playoff spot late in the season.      

Well, I appreciate your optimism although I do not share your warm, fuzzy view. I have nothing to point to in the line of evidence to say it, but common sense can take you a long way in life. If you want to criticize what I am saying, go to it. Like I said, I have no evidence whatsoever to back it up. Just a really strong intuition.

Most of the NYJ fan base HATES Geno Smith. I do not have an official poll to rely on, but I would bet money (if there were any way it could be determined) that MOST of the fan base has a strong dislike for players that not only play like sh*t after they've been given multiple shots to get it right, but they also irritate teammates through ignorance so much that they end up getting their jaw broken. That is called stupidity to the enth degree. It is also the very opposite of ANYTHING resembling a leader. Jets fans are intelligent enough to know how to identify someone who simply has been a failure, is no longer deserving of another opportunity, is IGNORANT, etc. They simply want to see him get cut........And rightfully so I might add.

The polar opposite solution to that is to go with a guy that merely wants to try and get top compensation for his services. Personally, I have no problem with Fitz attempting to get the best deal for him and his family. That's the smart thing to do given how much time he has left to play. Besides that, you have ZERO problems in reference to leadership or performance for that matter. Fitz numbers from 2015 were night and day better than anything Geno has ever done and that is a fact that cannot be debated. Now, if you want to point to the Buffalo game where Fitz pretty much folded up? well, I would point to the Buffalo Geno played in 2014. What was that? Like 3 interceptions in one quarter??? Geno very clearly takes the cake in terms of failure.

Now, if you want to continue this Fitz/Geno debate? Go get yourself into a debate with Mike MacCagnan or Todd Bowles. They not only see things exactly the way I do, but they are the people in charge. The buck stops with them.

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, he will not.

This is no longer about athletics.  This is a business negotiation, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is an employee who has overvalued himself and has backed himself into a corner against a corporation that is not interested in changing their position.  Compounding matters, he is at the end of his career and has made more than enough money to sustain his lifestyle which from all appearances appears to be rather humble.  The Jets have put him in a position where he will have to compromise his values and work for less than he feels he is worth.

Add it all up, Ryan Fitzpatrick will not be a Jet, he will sit idly by and wait for the first contending NFL team to lose its quarterback to a devastating injury and then he will do what he does best-  pack his bags, play the journeyman, and collect more money for this single season elsewhere than he would have from the Jets, save face, and try for the big long-term payday in 2017.

SAR I

Don't quit your day job. You'd be broke as an agent.

47 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, I appreciate your optimism although I do not share your warm, fuzzy view. I have nothing to point to in the line of evidence to say it, but common sense can take you a long way in life. If you want to criticize what I am saying, go to it. Like I said, I have no evidence whatsoever to back it up. Just a really strong intuition.

Most of the NYJ fan base HATES Geno Smith. I do not have an official poll to rely on, but I would bet money (if there were any way it could be determined) that MOST of the fan base has a strong dislike for players that not only play like sh*t after they've been given multiple shots to get it right, but they also irritate teammates through ignorance so much that they end up getting their jaw broken. That is called stupidity to the enth degree. It is also the very opposite of ANYTHING resembling a leader. Jets fans are intelligent enough to know how to identify someone who simply has been a failure, is no longer deserving of another opportunity, is IGNORANT, etc. They simply want to see him get cut........And rightfully so I might add.

The polar opposite solution to that is to go with a guy that merely wants to try and get top compensation for his services. Personally, I have no problem with Fitz attempting to get the best deal for him and his family. That's the smart thing to do given how much time he has left to play. Besides that, you have ZERO problems in reference to leadership or performance for that matter. Fitz numbers from 2015 were night and day better than anything Geno has ever done and that is a fact that cannot be debated. Now, if you want to point to the Buffalo game where Fitz pretty much folded up? well, I would point to the Buffalo Geno played in 2014. What was that? Like 3 interceptions in one quarter??? Geno very clearly takes the cake in terms of failure.

Now, if you want to continue this Fitz/Geno debate? Go get yourself into a debate with Mike MacCagnan or Todd Bowles. They not only see things exactly the way I do, but they are the people in charge. The buck stops with them.

You know your opinion and a few others does not speak for " everyone else " ?The fan base "dislikes" Fitzpatrick more than geno now.. They are tired of his diva  grossly overvaluing selfishness.. In a few days the jets will pull the offer.. The fan base will rally behind geno.. If Fitz comes crawling back at the 11th hour, he better produce like he did last yr or fans will be all over him.. 

Archived