Jets Release Jeff Cumberland

JetNation

Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland managed just six receptions last season.

By Glenn Naughton

As expected, the New York Jets have parted ways with long-time tight end Jeff Cumberland.

Coming off of his worst performance as a starter, Cumberland was all but invisible for the Jets on offense this season, logging just 5 receptions for 77 yards without a touchdown.

An undrafted free agent out of the University of Illinois, where he was a wide receiver, there was never any doubting Cumberland’s physical attributes, but the speedy Ohio native never put produced the way the Jets and their fans had hoped.

The move will free up $1.9 million in cap space.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
6AqNnnDxUmA

Click here to read the full story...

6 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Offensive coordinator doesn't care for TE in his offense. I completely disagree with this in the pro game. College yes you could split out 4 receivers but I go back to Parcells days and the TE is a necessary.

But this is Jeff Cumberland.  He really isn't very good.

I do understand that but in general when Amaro comes back from injury he could be a big part of your offense. Galley will bury him and that will be a mis fortune. Look at what the Patriots and Carolina do at tight end.  See what a TE did for Bree's and Rivers. Just don't like Gaileys offense.

Just now, Tony The Wiz said:

I do understand that but in general when Amaro comes back from injury he could be a big part of your offense. Galley will bury him and that will be a mis fortune. Look at what the Patriots and Carolina do at tight end.  See what a TE did for Bree's and Rivers. Just don't like Gaileys offense.

Amaro can play the Enunwa role - and do a much better job...

26 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Offensive coordinator doesn't care for TE in his offense. I completely disagree with this in the pro game. College yes you could split out 4 receivers but I go back to Parcells days and the TE is a necessary.

Agree 100% Gailey is terrible at both game planning and play calling in the first half, 

you can't make it in the NFL without using the TE position, the sooner the Jets brass realizes

Chan sucks, the better, but the fact he is even our OC speaks volumes, our GM is lost.

It's not a big deal. But I think Cumby has more talent than he was allowed to show in 2015 under Gailey and should make another team as a no. 2 tight end and play a lot. He did start most of our games so he must have been doing something right. 

4 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Where does this rhetoric come from?  Gailey has used TE's in his offenses before and not just for blocking.  We just didn't have any damn TE's on the roster worth sending out to catch passes.  Things will look different this year with Amaro back and hopefully a FA signing as well.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Amaro always appeared to be lazy and out of shape. I don't care for Amaro hopefully he proves me wrong. 

We'll see but you are right, he has great potential but the Jets brass during minicamp/TC (before back injury) basically kept him with the 3rd stringers and rumors were that he was "too soft"

Archived