the longer this goes on the less i want Fitz

MetsJets1962

I never mentioned Geno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you. But here in real world rational people know what the likely scenario is without fitz. Reality is a good thing to consider when playing Internet GM.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Can't figure out the last one.  Any ideas?

Fitz situation in movie titles:

Fitz at the start:  I am Legend

Nfl reaction to Fitz:  American Psycho

Browns reaction to Fitz:  Better Off Dead

John Elway:  He's Just Not That Into You

Denver fans view of Fitz's arm:  Gone with the Wind

Jets view of Fitz and his agent:  Dumb and Dumber

Fitz at the end:  The Crying Game

Jets in the end:  ???

Lord Of The Rings

5 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

If Marshall, Decker and Forte are healthy, Amaro gives them anything, all with a year in the same system together except Forte, I see no reason they can't at least duplicate last year, if not even exceed it. Schedule difficulty is hard to gauge from one season to the next.

This is honestly what I think. I think he excelled in Gailey's system and because he had WR that work so hard to create chemistry. In 2016, if he's here, he'll already have that chemistry with Marshall and Decker and he should be able to hit the ground running. Mac will likely add more weapons for Fitz to use; another WR, Forte as a pass catching threat, better blocking, etc. There's a lot of reasons to think he'll actually be better than 2015.

6 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Cindy, Seattle, Arizona, KC are all tough defenses, and will continue to be, but Indy and Pitts defense don't really scare me, but overall I agree on paper, it looks tougher than this year, but I also expect the Jets offense to improve, when Powell was healthy, it was a different offense, I think Powell and Forte provide a much needed receiving threat out of the backfield. I also thought they improved as the season went on.

Of course, health plays into all of it.

Whether they scare you or not aside, would you be that shocked if both of those teams prove to be difficult matchups? How about more difficult matchups than the Jaguars, Titans, Giants, Romo-less Cowboys, Raiders, Iggles, Browns, no-receiver/no-OL/no-secondary Redskins...and the injured-Luck/no-secondary Colts of September, 2015?

I think Pagano is a meathead, but if Luck is healthy & on his game they can generate points in a hurry on anyone.

Pittsburgh wasn't "scary" last year but they were a good team who merely choked a pair of 1 FG losses against an inferior Ravens team twice. Hey, we choked against Buffalo twice. Doesn't make us or them bad teams. We (and they) weren't cakewalk matchups that opponents were eager to face. Ball bounces the other way on 2 plays and they finish 12-4 last year.

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Who knows,Geno is young strong and athletic maybe he excels under Gailey and with an offense around him. 

Geno got his shot and he blew it when he showed complete and total immaturity by getting into an altercation with another teammate. He does not deserve another opportunity. Get over it. The NYJ is an organization of professionals, not the multiple chance league. And personally (and somehow I do not believe I am alone on this) I do not want him back even if he played like Joe Montana in another city, I could care less. Most people would agree with me that Geno is  f*cking punk.

9 hours ago, jgb said:

No chance huh? There is a greater chance that Fitz breaks the single season TD record than Geno ever has a season like Fitz just did.

7 hours ago, MetsJets1962 said:

I never mentioned Geno

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Good for you. But here in real world rational people know what the likely scenario is without fitz. Reality is a good thing to consider when playing Internet GM.

Lol, a one track broken record.  Geno talk even when no one mentions him it goes back to him. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Lol, a one track broken record.  Geno talk even when no one mentions him it goes back to him. 

Welcome to the real world. Someone will play QB for the Jets. If not Fitz, the most likely candidate is Geno. They are inexorably linked whether your sensitive eyes can stomach reading about it or not. 

Internet GM !!! you cracked a funny

The reality is if they don't get anyone else they overpay for Fitz. Geno isn't the QB for the Jets next season.

4 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Geno got his shot and he blew it when he showed complete and total immaturity by getting into an altercation with another teammate. He does not deserve another opportunity. Get over it. The NYJ is an organization of professionals, not the multiple chance league. And personally (and somehow I do not believe I am alone on this) I do not want him back even if he played like Joe Montana in another city, I could care less. Most people would agree with me that Geno is  f*cking punk.

So a locker room altercation where he was assaulted is what you base your claim on that he shouldn't be the QB of the Jets meanwhile a journeyman who has been with 6 teams in 10 years and never made the playoffs is a better option. Who by the way wants to be paid crazy money that we dont have is a better option. 

I know I'm not to alone on this. 

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whether they scare you or not aside, would you be that shocked if both of those teams prove to be difficult matchups? How about more difficult matchups than the Jaguars, Titans, Giants, Romo-less Cowboys, Raiders, Iggles, Browns, no-receiver/no-OL/no-secondary Redskins...and the injured-Luck/no-secondary Colts of September, 2015?

I think Pagano is a meathead, but if Luck is healthy & on his game they can generate points in a hurry on anyone.

Pittsburgh wasn't "scary" last year but they were a good team who merely choked a pair of 1 FG losses against an inferior Ravens team twice. Hey, we choked against Buffalo twice. Doesn't make us or them bad teams. We (and they) weren't cakewalk matchups that opponents were eager to face. Ball bounces the other way on 2 plays and they finish 12-4 last year.

Im not saying I think we are going to win the games, or they won't be hard or anything like that. My point was centered around whether the offense could match or improve on last year. That is why I was only bringing up the defenses of those teams, rather than the whole team. There is no doubt our schedule had some softies on it, but I also thought we played a lot of those softies very conservatively, and my hope is that it was because of new systems and new players coming together. Our schedule on paper looks difficult for sure, but things change so drastically year to year. 

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So a locker room altercation where he was assaulted is what you base your claim on that he shouldn't be the QB of the Jets meanwhile a journeyman who has been with 6 teams in 10 years and never made the playoffs is a better option. Who by the way wants to be paid crazy money that we dont have is a better option. 

Even Jim Jones had followers

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I believe Geno is a better option than Fitz.

Especially if you have to pay Fitz more than $7mm a year.  

I believe Geno is a better option than Fitz.

Especially if you have to pay Fitz more than $7mm a year.  

Opinions are neither right nor wrong but boy it's really interesting that anybody thinks Geno has any shot to be better that terrible.

I think it is an 8-8 team with Fitz against this schedule. It is probably not much worse than that without him.  It is not what Fitz is, but what he isn't.  He isn't Geno.  But not being Geno does not get you to the post season.  I think Marshall made Fitz last year, not the other way around. He might do the same or better for another QB. And also,  not being Geno  should not get you 10+ million for 3 years at age 33---not with the sour taste  of that Buffalo game still in our collective mouths.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Opinions are neither right nor wrong but boy it's really interesting that anybody thinks Geno has any shot to be better that terrible.

I saw a QB that had no weapons, with a team in entire disarray in his second.  

I saw growth his rookie year.

I would like to see him with Marshall.  His top receiver for most of his starts was Kelrey. A guy who couldn't even get on the field.  

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to become a star, but the choice between him and the known quantity in Fitz.  I choose giving Geno a shot. 

I saw a QB that had no weapons, with a team in entire disarray in his second.  

I saw growth his rookie year.

I would like to see him with Marshall.  His top receiver for most of his starts was Kelrey. A guy who couldn't even get on the field.  

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to become a star, but the choice between him and the known quantity in Fitz.  I choose giving Geno a shot. 

It would be amazing if he turned a corner

13 hours ago, ljr said:

Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated this week that Petty will get to compete with Geno Smith for the backup job behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom the Jets expect to re-sign.

That will be determined in preseason and how well he does in summer camp and spring,” Bowles said.

“I think he’s developed. I think he’s still developing,” Bowles said. “We’ll see when preseason and camp rolls around next year how much he’s developed and whether the game has slowed down for him a little bit. We know he’s a talent and he can throw. He’s bright and he’s learning and he will keep progressing forward.”

“Right now, Geno’s our backup quarterback,” Bowles said.

So, sans Fitz the presumptive starter, I interpret this as Geno and Perry will both be in open competition for the starting job this season.  Assuming they don't bring in a vet starter at some point.

I hope jets come out asap and say fitz is not in their plans and say they dont want to overpay for a guy who has a history of being a jaq and never making the playoffs

fitz will have to settle for 3-4 million if anybody even signs him-each team should show him the buffalo tape when they sit down to work a deal-when you needed to just win to get in you crumbled like a stale cookie

good riddens fitz

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Welcome to the real world. Someone will play QB for the Jets. If not Fitz, the most likely candidate is Geno. They are inexorably linked whether your sensitive eyes can stomach reading about it or not. 

Other than you repeating this over and over again we have no proof that Geno will ever play QB here again. Unless he's looked good in practice this past year and deserves to play.  Somehow I doubt it, but why I worry about that.  This FO has made the point that you play only if you deserve to play.  I don't see why they would change now.  

They are not inexorably linked.  Unless you're thinking its fate or Geno deserves it.  None of this has anything to do with being too sensitive.   Every Fitz or QB post doesn't have to turn into a Geno sucks thread.  Especially when this whole friggen mess is Fitzs fault, not Geno's.  Geno isn't the one over valuing his worth.  

3 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Im not saying I think we are going to win the games, or they won't be hard or anything like that. My point was centered around whether the offense could match or improve on last year. That is why I was only bringing up the defenses of those teams, rather than the whole team. There is no doubt our schedule had some softies on it, but I also thought we played a lot of those softies very conservatively, and my hope is that it was because of new systems and new players coming together. Our schedule on paper looks difficult for sure, but things change so drastically year to year. 

They do. But things didn't look as easy (as it turned out being) for 2015 either back in March.  Even if it looked a little easier on paper 1 year ago, last year was the benefit of everything that could go wrong going wrong for our opponents.

• Play Indy? Luck's at half strength and a secondary consisting of 1 CB for half a game followed by no secondary in the 2nd half.
  • Play Washington? They were missing their LT, C, #1 receiving target, #2 receiving target, #1 CB, #2 CB. Forget their final record; we played them at 1/3 strength.
  • Play NE late in the season? Also a bunch of injuries (incl Edelman and more)
  • Play Houston? They pick up TJ Yates off the street at the end of Oct and 3 games later they had to actually start him against us. And we didn't even win that one.

On paper, by just looking at these opponents' names, these were 4 of our hardest matchups in 2015. They were so badly weakenedI'm saying even when looking at our SOS in hindsight (which can a misleading stat anyway) we didn't even play those teams' average games because of injury. That doesn't even include easy SOS matchups that looked hard in the spring (or even at the end of August) of 2015, but really (or should have been) cake walks for us not nail biters, like Philadelphia, Dallas (starting Kellen Moore), and the Giants.

Point being, schedule-wise 2015 was the year everything fell just right. Unless we get impossibly lucky, won't see its equal for a long time. We played maybe 1 good team at full strength in our 16 games (just the first NE game). No way that good fortune happens again a year later.

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than you repeating this over and over again we have no proof that Geno will ever play QB here again.

We also have no proof he WON'T play QB here again.

Right now, today, he is the only QB on the Roster with NFL experience.  While that can change of course, and almost surely will, presuming Geno Smith will not get a chance is premature.

Wanting to 'move on' becasue one is impatient with a guy who is bargaining for a new contract is silly and just the thing bad front offices do.  Get mad and let that get in the way with running a team.  It's all about business right now.  Fitzpatrick and his agent are looking at the idiotic insane deals being handed out to QB's in this league and saying, 'hey we deserve to be in that ball park.'  The jets and other teams are rightly saying 'Just because other teams are dumbasses doesn't mean we will be.'

At some point in time party A or B will decided it is time to commit to a course of action one way or the other.  The big domino in all of this is Kaepernick, once he goes or stays in SF for sure the market will be more clear.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Wanting to 'move on' becasue one is impatient with a guy who is bargaining for a new contract is silly and just the thing bad front offices do.  Get mad and let that get in the way with running a team.  It's all about business right now.  Fitzpatrick and his agent are looking at the idiotic insane deals being handed out to QB's in this league and saying, 'hey we deserve to be in that ball park.'  The jets and other teams are rightly saying 'Just because other teams are dumbasses doesn't mean we will be.'

At some point in time party A or B will decided it is time to commit to a course of action one way or the other.  The big domino in all of this is Kaepernick, once he goes or stays in SF for sure the market will be more clear.

SF needs to make a decision on him or else his salary is huge.  

I don't think there's any way in hell that Smith will ever start another game  for the Jets.  If we move on from Fitzpatrick, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Jets will sign RGIII, trade for Kaeperick, or get ANYONE else to be the QB over Geno.  There's no coming back from getting your jaw broken by a teammate and then having no one on the team stand up for you.  It showed Geno's lack of character, lack of self control, and lack of intelligence that he put himself in a situation where a teammate wanted to assault him, and whats even worse is that not one teammate vouched for him afterwards which spoke volumes as to the lack of leadership he brought to the table and the lack of respect he had in the locker room. 

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

So, sans Fitz the presumptive starter, I interpret this as Geno and Perry will both be in open competition for the starting job this season.  Assuming they don't bring in a vet starter at some point.

Certainly can be interpreted that way ... I Interpret it to mean Mac & Bowles are well aware that Geno is not a starter ... And Petty is not ready yet to try and become one ... So if Fitz doesn't work out, they def will bring a different hold-the-fort vet to be the starter.

On 3/12/2016 at 10:51 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Dont let that be a convincing factor though. Big Marsh is just that type of guy. I remember Cutler being a brother from another mother, then I remember him having a hand in the trade to NY because he actually wanted to play with Geno Smith, now Fitzpatrick is the greatest thing ever. 

Marshall will move on just like this fanbase. 

Exactly.  And apparently he hasnt talked to him 2 years, which would include a season they played together. 

Other than you repeating this over and over again we have no proof that Geno will ever play QB here again. Unless he's looked good in practice this past year and deserves to play.  Somehow I doubt it, but why I worry about that.  This FO has made the point that you play only if you deserve to play.  I don't see why they would change now.  

They are not inexorably linked.  Unless you're thinking its fate or Geno deserves it.  None of this has anything to do with being too sensitive.   Every Fitz or QB post doesn't have to turn into a Geno sucks thread.  Especially when this whole friggen mess is Fitzs fault, not Geno's.  Geno isn't the one over valuing his worth.  

Have no proof sun will rise tomorrow but intelligent people know how to calculate odds and make rational decisions here in the real world

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If he could put up numbers and win games football players would follow anyone, no matter the crime to get to the promised land.  Only fans worry this much about BS like the punch to Genos face.  I'd bet the house that its long forgotten by the team.

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Right now, today, he is the only QB on the Roster with NFL experience.  While that can change of course, and almost surely will, presuming Geno Smith will not get a chance is premature.

So you sit up at nights and worry that because there is no actual proof that he wont play again it means he will. 

Of course by editing what I wrote you also left out the part where I said unless he has proven to the CS that he can play, that he's the best option.  

Yeah just a typical weak burden shift attempt. Nice call out

So you sit up at nights and worry that because there is no actual proof that he wont play again it means he will. 

Of course by editing what I wrote you also left out the part where I said unless he has proven to the CS that he can play, that he's the best option.  

So your rank speculation stands inviolate while others have to prove everything they say. Nice try bud but ain't nobody buyin today best move on down the road

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

NO, Fitz and his agent are looking at the contract of a much younger QB, one who a team is gambling will improve and provide stability for years to their organization and thinking at 33 hes in a similar situation.

Or theyre thinking if another team fu(ks up the Jets have to pony up to the same level of some clueless org.  Because.  No other reason.

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree. But as of right now it's looking decidedly more difficult. Only way it rivals last year's matchups is if key players on like 5 different teams sit out the game when we play them.

• NE was hobbled when we played them (but there's always that delusional hope for us, that Brady is suspended when we play this year).
  • Baltimore sucked last year - worse than expected - so they should be better. Still, they may not be good yet.
  • Rams? Hard to say. They could be a tough matchup due to their D or they could be on their way to another top 5 pick in 2017.
  • Cleveland will be a joke. There is no way they will be a good football team in 2016.
  • I suppose it's possible San Fran mimics Chip Kelly's Philadelphia, in that they'll still be a meh or bad team, but they'll find a way to put points on the board.

Yes it's possible these are all or mostly flops this year, but the rest of our non-divisional games are Cincy, Seattle, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Kansas City. Combine those with the pair of divisional games vs NE and that's 8 legitimately tough opponents as of right now. It's only as low as 8 if all the rest are as bad or worse than expected and don't have good games the week we play them.

Anything can happen. Schedules in the fall often - if not commonly or even usually - are different than they looked back in the spring. But it doesn't look good at all.

The other factor in Fitz's success last season was unusually mild weather. It wasn't windy or cold pretty much until the last game of the season - when he laid a massive egg. His obvious physical limitation gets seriously exposed in a good fall breeze. I'm glad the team recognizes it, and it would seem the entire league does, too. The man is a stopgap/backup, and should be paid accordingly. 

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

Have no proof sun will rise tomorrow but intelligent people know how to calculate odds and make rational decisions here in the real world

And this is pointless analogy.

You want to convince yourself that it has anything to do with the conversation but we're not buying it.  Geno playing QB here isnt anywhere close to the same odds as the sun rising.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

So your rank speculation stands inviolate while others have to prove everything they say. Nice try bud but ain't nobody buyin today best move on down the road

WTF are you talking about?

All I said is Geno isn't playing for the Jets again.  You're so hell bent on scaring people into loving Fitz that you'll argue for Geno, that he will be the QB if we don't bend over and bow to Fitz demands.  Newsflash, Fitz maybe good enough to start over Geno but he isnt good enough to make the demands hes making.  No one wants him at his asking price.  

What kind of response is prove it to any of this?  

Archived