the longer this goes on the less i want Fitz

MetsJets1962

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Throwing the football 55 yards has nothing to do with arm strength. High School QB's can do that.

How was Fitz's arm strength in the 1st and 4th quarters in Buffalo when he had to throw into the wind?

Oh yea, the Jets had no passing game whatsoever.

Correct. If he wants 16 million, so long and thanks for all the fish

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone looking to sign fitz, imo, will pay more than a top back up qb, but not as much as a starter. and i dont think anyone is looking to sign fitz for more than 2 real contract years. he is year to year after that. paying fitz a coupla more dollars than maybe he is worth is worth it if he is your best option and you really only want him for 2 years. i am pretty confident that fitzpatrick will be the day 1 starter for the jets

I'd say I'm about 60/40... Cause at the end of the day, he's just a bandaide. A Lexus bandaide albeit, but a bandaide nonetheless. The crown jewel is the rookie they're planning to draft this year (I believe it's a certainty)... He's the one they're focused one. They obviously want the best bandaide and mentor available but Fitz isn't a must on their eyes. They can make do without him for a year if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz is a smart guy who I am sure has saved alot of money.  He may be saying to himself and his family that he will go back out onto the football field, put a helmet on, and risk brain damage for another year or two if he is paid fairly.  If not, he will hang out at home and play Rubiks Cube.

He would be silly to sign as a backup, because the starter could get punched in the jaw and end up out for an extended period of time.  Then he ends up starting without being paid like one.

Because he will start for the next year or two and provide valuable fan entertainment, but he is not the long term answer, has not upside and requires good highly paid players around him, he should accept and be paid $8-10mm.  Let's call it $9mm.  The Jets should throw a third year onto that to guarantee him more money when he would be a back up.  The Jets could pay for this by making Brick take a pay cut (in return for a greater chance of making the playoffs his last year) and stretching out the Ks of Marshall and Mangold, who would like contribute beyond their current contracts.

I think we can afford the push costs out a bit as some contracts run off (Brick, Breno, Gilcrist, Revis).

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd say I'm about 60/40... Cause at the end of the day, he's just a bandaide. A Lexus bandaide albeit, but a bandaide nonetheless. The crown jewel is the rookie they're planning to draft this year (I believe it's a certainty)... He's the one they're focused one. They obviously want the best bandaide and mentor available but Fitz isn't a must on their eyes. They can make do without him for a year if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but i think we both agree, fitz signing a reasonable 2 year contract (probably 8 figures) is in the jets best interest till the new guy is ready

37 minutes ago, varjet said:

Fitz is a smart guy who I am sure has saved alot of money.  He may be saying to himself and his family that he will go back out onto the football field, put a helmet on, and risk brain damage for another year or two if he is paid fairly.  If not, he will hang out at home and play Rubiks Cube.

He would be silly to sign as a backup, because the starter could get punched in the jaw and end up out for an extended period of time.  Then he ends up starting without being paid like one.

Because he will start for the next year or two and provide valuable fan entertainment, but he is not the long term answer, has not upside and requires good highly paid players around him, he should accept and be paid $8-10mm.  Let's call it $9mm.  The Jets should throw a third year onto that to guarantee him more money when he would be a back up.  The Jets could pay for this by making Brick take a pay cut (in return for a greater chance of making the playoffs his last year) and stretching out the Ks of Marshall and Mangold, who would like contribute beyond their current contracts.

I think we can afford the push costs out a bit as some contracts run off (Brick, Breno, Gilcrist, Revis).

He has a net worth of 24 million.. http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nfl/ryan-fitzpatrick-net-worth/

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Wow, Eric Decker is really in the poor house for an NFL veteran, with a net worth of only $1.32 million. Good thing he married well.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nfl/eric-decker-net-worth/

:) 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wow, Eric Decker is really in the poor house for an NFL veteran, with a net worth of only $1.32 million. Good thing he married well.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nfl/eric-decker-net-worth/

:) 

So did Brady his wife and him together is worth close to a half a billion.. http://www.celebritynetworth.com/couples/tom-brady-gi-net-worth/

Just now, ylekram said:

just get used to the idea that he will be the jets starting qb this season. i hope to god we dont have to hear you complain all year, good games or bad

Until he signs he's no longer a NY Jet. 

I root for every player who wears a NY Jets uniform. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Until he signs he's no longer a NY Jet. 

I root for every player who wears a NY Jets uniform. 

except for fitz, as you complained most of the year, then flip flopped until after the buffalo game, then  back to complaining. when he is signed, are you gonna start with a clean slate?

22 minutes ago, ylekram said:

except for fitz, as you complained most of the year, then flip flopped until after the buffalo game, then  back to complaining. when he is signed, are you gonna start with a clean slate?

No I support for every player who wears a NY Jets uniform Fitzpatrick included I root for the Jets to win every game they play.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

That's because Kraft pays Brady cash under the table to circumvent the Salary Cap rules.

The thing about you is that you admit the Pats cheat and you love it. I don't know why considering the great players of the past like Geno Cappelletti and Andre Tippett worked their asses off.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The thing about you is that you admit the Pats cheat and you love it. I don't know why considering the great players of the past like Geno Cappelletti and Andre Tippett worked their asses off.

Tex was being sarcastic..:)

"Based off last year's production, and the way Brandon [Marshall] has talked about the chemistry he's built with Ryan, I would expect and hope it would be him, just based off what they had last year," Forte said in a conference call with reporters.

The Jets and Fitzpatrick are locked in a stalemate, far apart on a new contract. The only other quarterbacks the team has under contract are former starter Geno Smith, who had only one relief appearance last season, and the inexperienced Bryce PettyThe Jets visited with free agent Robert Griffin III last Friday and Saturday.

Forte said he chose the Jets because they have a "really good defense and a consistent offense. I know Fitzpatrick will be a big part of that, too."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14970459/matt-forte-hopeful-ryan-fitzpatrick-return-new-york-jets

I agree with Forte...

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

that's more bullsh*t. In the beginning of the season he had issues with a weak lower body coming off a broken leg which it takes a good amount of time for those muscles to get their strength back go ahead tell me the legs play no part like Im excpecting some idiots to argue. As he regained his strength his arm started to improve Fitz does not have a great arm but he also does not have a bad arm either. Idiots on this board said he could not throw a deep ball then he was throwing more deep balls than we have seen in years some going 55 yards in the air which is the norm in the NFL for a deep pass. If you have to throw it deeper than that you waited too long . The bullsh*t I read on these forums is starting to make them unreadable some people just don't like Fitz so they start making sh*t up to support the idiotic argument. If the ******* Jets didn't want Fitz then they should not be signing post 30 year old players especially at the RB position but they are and any one who thinks this is for Moron Geno should really take a step back and stick to golf or tennis not football.

Gil Brandt agrees with you, as noted in a 11 March column:

Fitzpatrick, an unrestricted free agent, has never gotten the respect he deserves. Almost every place he's gone, he's added a spark and elevated the offense. Problem is, he's never gotten a shot with a title-contending club. If I were the Broncos, this is where my attention would be right now, and not on offering compensation for a player like Colin Kaepernick. Fitzpatrick has a good arm and athleticism. I understand the concerns with him, but I also know he's had success in this league, and what he did with the Jets last year, securing must-win games down the stretch with his play, is nothing short of remarkable. I think if Denver signed him, he could do the same thing Peyton Manning did last season. He might be the only quarterback available whom I'd trust with a Super Bowl-ready team like theBroncos.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000643759/article/ranking-top-available-quarterbacks-via-draft-free-agency-trade

And for those who would question Gil's credentials...

Gil Brandt, the vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960 to 1989, helped Dallas grow into one of the most powerful and popular sports franchises in America. His innovative management and personnel systems are standard operating procedure today for many teams at the professional and collegiate levels nationwide. As NFL Media's personnel guru, Brandt offers insight and commentary on all aspects of players and teams.

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

"Based off last year's production, and the way Brandon [Marshall] has talked about the chemistry he's built with Ryan, I would expect and hope it would be him, just based off what they had last year," Forte said in a conference call with reporters.

The Jets and Fitzpatrick are locked in a stalemate, far apart on a new contract. The only other quarterbacks the team has under contract are former starter Geno Smith, who had only one relief appearance last season, and the inexperienced Bryce PettyThe Jets visited with free agent Robert Griffin III last Friday and Saturday.

Forte said he chose the Jets because they have a "really good defense and a consistent offense. I know Fitzpatrick will be a big part of that, too."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14970459/matt-forte-hopeful-ryan-fitzpatrick-return-new-york-jets

I agree with Forte...

Funny how everyone who has to like, you know catch passes from the Jets QB next year unanimously wants Fitz back. But I heard on Jetnation.com that he sucks???

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think @PatsFanTX point sailed right over your head

1 hour ago, slats said:

So if Gil Brandt were an NFL GM, there'd be one NFL GM willing to pay Fitz what he wants. Good to know. 

What about the fact that a guy with 29 years of head NFL scout experience says Fitz has a good arm? When you ignore the arguments you don't like, it's an easy way to convince yourself that you're always right, isn't it?

I have been saying this for a week now... Sexton and/or Fitz seriously misjudged his market value. Elway, who knows a thing or two about QBs would rather trade for Sanchez than overpay Fitzpatrick. Fitz has neither skill, talent, pedigree or age of Bradford, Cousins, Brock or even Kaep or RG III. Jets iMaster Mi-Kel Macc has played this perfectly! Last off-season Fitz was brought in to backup Geno & Marshall said he chose the Jets because of "Geno". I would rather have Geno (God forbid) vs RGIII (Lord help) compete in Chan's system than overpay Fritz. So please. This is a very different regime than we've probably ever had & I been a Jets & NFL fan for over 40 yrs. So please, let's all relax & allow this little saga to play itself out. And I don't think Macc will risk it to continue too much further.

9 hours ago, jgb said:

What about the fact that a guy with 29 years of head NFL scout experience says Fitz has a good arm? When you ignore the arguments you don't like, it's an easy way to convince yourself that you're always right, isn't it?

Lol, I'm not gonna question an area where you clearly have the expertise. 

I like Gil Brandt, but I disagree with him here. I think you'd have a hard time finding many (any?) other so-called experts who do. Fitz is coming off a strong statistical season and can't find a team willing to even talk to him at the numbers he and his agent are apparently throwing around. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with that noodle arm of his. 

21 minutes ago, slats said:

I like Gil Brandt, but I disagree with him here. I think you'd have a hard time finding many (any?) other so-called experts who do. Fitz is coming off a strong statistical season and can't find a team willing to even talk to him at the numbers he and his agent are apparently throwing around. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with that noodle arm of his. 

This says it all.... Heck, RG3 probably rolls in on an incentive laden $4m deal.

Teams could wait SF out and see if they cut Kap.... but that's a long time to wait if they don't

Kap 12m becomes guaranteed 4/1. Does Chip roll with him? I doubt it ... too much bad blood.

C'mon Mac/Fitz get it done @ $9m and call it a day.

CdmDY6dWwAA06pM.jpg

28 minutes ago, slats said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/03/nflcoms_gil_brandt_on_jets_qb_geno_smith_i_saw_him_grow_a_lot.html

Gil Brandt, a senior analyst for NFL.com, is not at all worried that Geno Smith will make progress in his second season as the Jets' quarterback this fall.

Brandt says Smith's problems last year resulted from "factors beyond his control" (ahem), but that Smith has "real potential" and "has what it takes to become a solid player for New York one day."

lol

52 minutes ago, slats said:

And the fact that last season was an outlier  in the context of his whole career...no one wants to over pay for lightning in a bottle...give him a deal loaded with incentives so he  can make his money...if he makes last season more the rule rather than the exception.

17 hours ago, slats said:

You think or you know? If Fitz's arm was a noodle doubt one of the most respected scouts in NFL history would call it good.

Archived