Francessa: Jets called Bucs about Glennon: MERGED

AFJF

2 minutes ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

Hi DCAT - I did see it and maybe I should have added to that thread, but it was long and wanted to see the reaction to an offer for multiple draft picks (not a first) and the maneuvering and smoke screen going on because I think the Jets want Glennon more than Fitz.

We can Merge them later.  For now, "Give us Glennon or give us death!!"

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have no problem going after Glennon, hopefully the pick cost would not be too high.  We'll still have the same dilemma next year as we have this year to some extent.  If he plays well we'll have to pay him big bucks so he'll have to play really really well, (that stupid Osweiler Houston deal is going to screw over lots of teams going forward) if he doesn't play that well we have given up a pick for a year of care taking.  He's certainly a better alternative than guys like Geno and Hoyer.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I'd have no problem going after Glennon, hopefully the pick cost would not be too high.  We'll still have the same dilemma next year as we have this year to some extent.  If he plays well we'll have to pay him big bucks so he'll have to play really really well, (that stupid Osweiler Houston deal is going to screw over lots of teams going forward) if he doesn't play that well we have given up a pick for a year of care taking.  He's certainly a better alternative than guys like Geno and Hoyer.

The difference is huge though, we'll have a lot more cap space next year and his ceiling would be much higher than Fitz being that he's a younger QB.  The biggest issue with Fitz is we would be paying him elite money for one good year when history proves there's a better chance he regresses back to the norm.

2 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

The difference is huge though, we'll have a lot more cap space next year and his ceiling would be much higher than Fitz being that he's a younger QB.  The biggest issue with Fitz is we would be paying him elite money for one good year when history proves there's a better chance he regresses back to the norm.

Oh yeah I agree there is more upside, but there is not way, no how we are paying fitz huge starter money, that is a given.  Glennon will come cheap year one but these deals are becoming insane to the point that it is now the 2nd contract that is forcing you to stick with a Qb rather than the previous 1st one.  If you are paying your QB 15 plus a year the promising rookie or 2nd or 3rd yer guy is riding the pine.  The Jets just need to figure out pretty quick, as in one year if Glennon is worth committing to.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh yeah I agree there is more upside, but there is not way, no how we are paying fitz huge starter money, that is a given.  Glennon will come cheap year one but these deals are becoming insane to the point that it is now the 2nd contract that is forcing you to stick with a Qb rather than the previous 1st one.  If you are paying your QB 15 plus a year the promising rookie or 2nd or 3rd yer guy is riding the pine.  The Jets just need to figure out pretty quick, as in one year if Glennon is worth committing to.

Think of it as "The deals are insane now, but imagine giving Glennon a 6 year deal in 2017 what that same deal would be like like in 2020 monetarily". The deals are insane, but the cap goes up every season. By the time Glennon's deal is gone it would look like a low-level QB deal. So it wont really matter. The quicker you find a solid QB, the quicker you lock him up, the better. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646088/article/jason-licht-bucs-weighing-interest-in-mike-glennon

While the San Francisco 49ersDenver Broncos and Colin Kaepernick's representatives spend the bulk of March engaged in a prolonged Mexican standoff, another quarterback might be entering the picture.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht acknowledged Monday that a trade for backup quarterback Mike Glennon is possible leading up to the 2016 NFL Draft.

"There's always interest. It's not a secret," Licht said, via the Tampa Bay Times. "There's always some interest. We'll see how it goes. We've got some time and this is something that could go all the way to the draft."

While the San Francisco 49ersDenver Broncos and Colin Kaepernick's representatives spend the bulk of March engaged in a prolonged Mexican standoff, another quarterback might be entering the picture.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht acknowledged Monday that a trade for backup quarterback Mike Glennon is possible leading up to the 2016 NFL Draft.

"There's always interest. It's not a secret," Licht said, via the Tampa Bay Times. "There's always some interest. We'll see how it goes. We've got some time and this is something that could go all the way to the draft."

0ap3000000638383.jpg
Watch:

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport cited Glennon as a name to watch in Denverupon Brock Osweiler's defection to Houston earlier this month, but cautioned that it would take a big offer to pry him away from Tampa.

Licht insisted in February, "I'm not going to give Mike Glennon up, I'll just tell you that."

Although WFAN host Mike Francesa claimed Licht was demanding a first-round pick from the New York Jets in exchange for Glennon, the Bucs' general manager insists that's a misleading report.

"That's not true," Licht said. "I mean, I tell them what I think he's worth. I tell that to teams. I say, 'this is what we might consider.' But that's not necessarily true. ... It's false that I've been calling every team saying I need a first (round pick). I haven't been calling every team. Even with those that have inquired, it's been 'Let's keep talking.' It hasn't been, 'we need this.'"

In a quarterback landscape where an unproven Osweiler is collecting $37 million in guarantees for the next two seasons, it's conceivable that Glennon would be a competitive advantage at $675,000 for the 2016 season.

Both are 6-foot-7 signal-callers. While Osweiler has an edge in athleticism, Glennon boasts a stronger arm. Osweiler posted a 48.78 QBR and 86.4 passer rating on 275 attempts last season versus Glennon's QBR of 48.04 and passer rating of 83.3 on 203 attempts with a weaker Bucs outfit in 2014.

With Kaepernick (and Ryan Fitzpatrick) in a holding pattern, Glennon and Bengals backup AJ McCarron are the two most attractive trade targets.

Cincinnati is already a playoff team with McCarron under contract for two years, leaving little incentive to sell. Tampa Bay, on the other hand, should understand that the season is essentially over if Jameis Winston is lost to injury.

With Glennon poised to reach free agency in 2017, Licht doesn't have the luxury of turning down a second- or third-round draft pick that could be used to land a starter at another position.

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Think of it as "The deals are insane now, but imagine giving Glennon a 6 year deal in 2017 what that same deal would be like like in 2020 monetarily". The deals are insane, but the cap goes up every season. By the time Glennon's deal is gone it would look like a low-level QB deal. So it wont really matter. The quicker you find a solid QB, the quicker you lock him up, the better. 

But it comes down to the quality of play in the end.  Houston as of now is committed to Osweiler for years and they have no real idea if he can play.  I have no issue with guys geting paid if they are truly your guy (even guys I think are not worthy such as flacco).  Money and cap is one thing, having to stick with a guy who...well..may be..maybe not is the guy while young franchise guys are drafted is the worry.

This is also why the cost to get glennon is a bit of an issue.  If we give up a 3rd, test him for a year and he is not what we hoped we can walk away.  It's worth the risk for us becasue sans Fitz we don't have a potentially good alternative like Glennon is.

In the end the whole Qb issue is grinding on us fans and no matter what decision the jets make half the fans will be totally pissed.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly just hope the little fella can stay healthy.  Watched him at Maryland. Kid could play.  Just fragile. 

I know sir. I read what you write. He didn't look very..."capable" in the limited we saw in 2015. (I saw him in 1 play and he looked like me trying to play cornerback... I can't play cornerback).

With Glennon making $3.5M this year, maybe we redo his deal comparable to the Oswieller deal?  It would take him a year or two to make up that small salary this year anyway and give him a shot for that crazy QB payday if he can do what Villian says he can :)

I'm sure he can be had for a second round pick. 

Think about this: he was a third round pick just a few years ago. He now has played in the nfl and has looked good...especially his td to int ratio. I live in tampa and couldnt help watching him and he looked very good. Ok, something happened and he went to the bench but yea, the bucs suck who knows why. They probably screwed themselves by not letting him develop. THe dude is young, is huge, has a rocket arm and is a hard working team mate. Plus, he plays QB, the most coveted position. If you could get him for a second rounder and have him sign a multi year contract, why wouldnt you?

because you want to draft another bust in the second? And wind up with nothing? Or maybe get a serviceable, starting LB in the 2nd instead of a potentially solid starting qb with lots of upside?

the only way you lose out is if the 2nd rounder u were going to draft turns out elite and he winds up being geno smith 2. Me thinks this is a far more unlikely scenario ...

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

I know sir. I read what you write. He didn't look very..."capable" in the limited we saw in 2015. (I saw him in 1 play and he looked like me trying to play cornerback... I can't play cornerback).

I would say small sample size but probably hate myself for it.  He looked good a pre-season ago.  Not sure what happen.  Im holding out hope for him.  For us as well.  We need a freaking draft pick to work out.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I would say small sample size but probably hate myself for it.  He looked good a pre-season ago.  Not sure what happen.  Im holding out hope for him.  For us as well.  We need a freaking draft pick to work out.

Amen to all you just said. 

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But it comes down to the quality of play in the end.  Houston as of now is committed to Osweiler for years and they have no real idea if he can play.  I have no issue with guys geting paid if they are truly your guy (even guys I think are not worthy such as flacco).  Money and cap is one thing, having to stick with a guy who...well..may be..maybe not is the guy while young franchise guys are drafted is the worry.

This is also why the cost to get glennon is a bit of an issue.  If we give up a 3rd, test him for a year and he is not what we hoped we can walk away.  It's worth the risk for us becasue sans Fitz we don't have a potentially good alternative like Glennon is.

In the end the whole Qb issue is grinding on us fans and no matter what decision the jets make half the fans will be totally pissed.

Osweiler played 7 games and Houston paid 72 million. That was straight desperate. Having the Jets trade a draft pick that they receive every year for a guy in order to see if he's good or not isnt quite the same. Also, you can trade for him and let him play out his deal just to see how he plays with the benefit of never having to negotiate with other teams during the offseason next season because you can simply franchise him in order to maintain his rights while working out a deal....or if you want to see him for another year just have him play on that Franchise tag. Spending money "wisely" or trading a high draft pick every now and then can be useful in finding out something for sure. At the end of the day if Mike Glennon was a Joe Flacco we could win a championship. We dont need an elite QB, we just need a good one. 

The problem is that everyone wants the best instead of looking for the good enough. Joe Flacco may not be worth it to you, but I guarantee that if you asked the Ravens about his Playoff history they'll let you know that not only is he worth the money but in terms of the playoffs the guy has another level when push comes to shove, and they are more than willing to pay for that. BUT you have to pay for that

If you want to find out about Glennon, then trade for him. Or, we can hope that we can get him in FA while competing with organizations ran by morons who are willing to pay 72 million dollars to a guy who's only started 7 games. Imagine when those teams find out that Glennon started 19 games and had a 2TD/1INT ratio! lol. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Osweiler played 7 games and Houston paid 72 million. That was straight desperate. Having the Jets trade a draft pick that they receive every year for a guy in order to see if he's good or not isnt quite the same. Also, you can trade for him and let him play out his deal just to see how he plays with the benefit of never having to negotiate with other teams during the offseason next season because you can simply franchise him in order to maintain his rights while working out a deal....or if you want to see him for another year just have him play on that Franchise tag. Spending money "wisely" or trading a high draft pick every now and then can be useful in finding out something for sure. At the end of the day if Mike Glennon was a Joe Flacco we could win a championship. We dont need an elite QB, we just need a good one. 

The problem is that everyone wants the best instead of looking for the good enough. Joe Flacco may not be worth it to you, but I guarantee that if you asked the Ravens about his Playoff history they'll let you know that no only is he worth the money but in terms of the playoffs the guy has another level when push comes to shove, and they are more than willing to pay for that. BUT you have to pay for that

If you want to find out about Glennon, then trade for him. Or, we can hope that we can get him in FA while competing with organizations ran by morons who are willing to pay 72 million dollars to a guy who's only started 7 games. Imagine when those teams find out that Glennon started 19 games and had a 2TD/1INT ratio! lol. 

Its a QB.  We've thrown away 2nd round picks on mediocre WRs, etc before.  This is for all the marbles, could change a teams fortunes for the next 8 years.  If you dont risk a pick you get nothing.  Trading a 2nd, a 3rd or a combo doesnt throw a teams future away.  There isnt a huge monetary commitment included.  Seems to me that the risk associated with Glennon is smaller than what it would take to move up and pick a kid and then wait for him to develop.

Trade for Glennon and draft a Hackenberg, C Jones developmental project to go along with Petty.  If Glennon fails its not setting anyone back and you have 2 others waiting in the wings.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Its a QB.  We've thrown away 2nd round picks on mediocre WRs, etc before.  This is for all the marbles, could change a teams fortunes for the next 8 years.  If you dont risk a pick you get nothing.  Trading a 2nd, a 3rd or a combo doesnt throw a teams future away.  There isnt a huge monetary commitment included.  Seems to me that the risk associated with Glennon is smaller than what it would take to move up and pick a kid and then wait for him to develop.

Trade for Glennon and draft a Hackenberg, C Jones developmental project to go along with Petty.  If Glennon fails its not setting anyone back and you have 2 others waiting in the wings.  

^^^This. 

You're on a roll my friend. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Offer a 3rd rounder for this beast!

Think it might have to be at least a 2nd.  No telling with comp picks, but the odds are very strong that Glennon would be paid enough as a FA, that the Bucs would get a 3rd back.  Right now they have what appears to  be a solid back up very cheap.

Think they will be hard to get off that 1st round demand.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hackenburg?  Ewwwwww...

I see your point about the Qb and the Jets are in more need than most teams. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hackenburg?  Ewwwwww...

I see your point about the Qb and the Jets are in more need than most teams. 

lol, just an example of a low round developmental type QB to add to the roster.  If we trade for Glennon it means Fitz is gone, Geno will be gone in a year too.  Glennon, Petty and whoever you draft sounds like a plan.  

Throw enough shlt against the wall, something is bound to stick approach

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

lol, just an example of a low round developmental type QB to add to the roster.  If we trade for Glennon it means Fitz is gone, Geno will be gone in a year too.  Glennon, Petty and whoever you draft sounds like a plan.  

Throw enough shlt against the wall, something is bound to stick approach

Agreed, I want to see is draft another prospect this year, have petty and the new guy fight for their spot and or time and have a reliable starter.  Glennon is enticing becasue he has the youth and upside to be a longer term starter.

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

^^^This. 

You're on a roll my friend. 

Can anyone explain why trading a 2nd for Glennon would set up back years but we should toss Geno away because it doesnt set us back in any way?

2 hours ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

I know this has been discussed before, but....

Yes, yes sir it sure has. Most forums have rules about starting duplicate threads for topics sitting right there on the first page.

Be glad Max is an old softie.

P.S. no to Glennon and every other Glennon-alike sitting at #2 or #3 of #6 on someone elses depth chart.  No more recycling failures.

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Can anyone explain why trading a 2nd for Glennon would set up back years but we should toss Geno away because it doesnt set us back in any way?

Geno sucks.  Documented fact.

Glennon isn't worth a 2nd.  No one is offering the Bucs a 2nd as yet.  He's a failure and a backup and a free agent (i.e. free) next year.

No one is paying a 1st or 2nd for that.

Archived