Macc seeks middle ground with Fitz

Freemanm

It would be so SOJ to cut Fitz's blindside pass protector to pay Fitz instead and have him carted off to IR on Week 1.

Middle ground is a no brainer. Let Mac set the base salary and make Fitz's requested amount payable per postseason bonuses/incentives.

It gives both sides a chance to win. If Fitz delivers a SB victory wouldn't it be worth an $18-20M payout? The ultimate goal would be attained by all. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The term - middle ground - is concerning to me. I take it as the Jets are willing to move up substantially from their initial offer. 

$10 or $11mm for Fitz is just too much. 

For all we know his top offer was $7.5M per, with some fluff in year 3 that Fitz won't see, bringing up that average, and Mac's idea of "middle ground" is an $8.5M average with the same fluff year 3. Or a low base that only reaches as high as $10-11M if Fitz more or less repeats his 2015 numbers.

Or maybe he's willing to go as high as $12M as middle ground, but won't go there until he knows he has to do so to outbid someone else. If Fitz signs elsewhere (i.e. Denver) for $10-11M, and we don't match, we'll find out which.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The term - middle ground - is concerning to me. I take it as the Jets are willing to move up substantially from their initial offer. 

If they can get him to do a 1 yr. contract at that price, I'd be OK with that.

If that's AYS for 3 years.... Uh-Uh.... No Way!

Fitz will cave. IF he doesn't and leaves, then the Jets are all the better for it for not compromising the LongTerm future on the next Steve DeBerg. We all expected a MASSIVE ugly Rebuild in 2015 and got a CLASSIC BlueBalls Çocktease of potential playoff football. So in the end, you swap 2016 for what 2015 SHOULD have been according to most fans' expectations: Bad QB play. 

7 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Joewilly complaining about a redundant thread.............awesome

Look around at all the Fitzpatrick threads no need to start another one. Whats next Fitzpatrick takes a dump or Fitzpatrick scratches his balls this place is the Facebook of Fitzpatrick threads.

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Middle ground is a no brainer. Let Mac set the base salary and make Fitz's requested amount payable per postseason bonuses/incentives.

It gives both sides a chance to win. If Fitz delivers a SB victory wouldn't it be worth an $18-20M payout? The ultimate goal would be attained by all. 

This is brilliant and is what I was going to say.  

You pay a QB 10 figures because he offers you at least a chance of making the playoffs.   There is supposedly alot of cap space next year.  The Jets should not be investing money in a 2016 QB if there is not a good chance to make the playoffs.  They should be spending that money on other people, like Wilkerson, or Upshaw.  

So give Fitz 7mm, +1mm for each game over 8 they win, +1mm if they make the playoffs, +2mm for every playoff game they win.  If the Jets have a big year with this veteran team, that gets Fitz to his number, and the money comes out of the 2017 cap.  

Man, I can't believe we've spent so much time talking about a mediocre QB.  Maybe it's just the whole "instant gratification" culture that I'm used to, but at this point I'm annoyed with Fitz.  

Wish Macc would make a public announcement.  Deal today is 7mil.  It goes down 100k every day it's not accepted.  

In the meantime maybe we can make another topic/forum and keep all Fitz crap in there?  I understand people like him.  But he's not currently a Jet.  He's a career journeyman trying to rob this team and hurt its future.  

It'd be nice to come to the board and not have to see Fitz stuff.  Unless he signs for 7mil or less (which is still too much for him), F-him.

Or is there a thread filter?  Maybe I can just exclude any thread titles with "Fitz" or "Noodle".

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think its a general term.  There is no chance that the come in at the middle between the ridiculous 18 mil he wants and the 8 or so mil they offered.   Hes just not worth 14 mil

33 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Man, I can't believe we've spent so much time talking about a mediocre QB.  Maybe it's just the whole "instant gratification" culture that I'm used to, but at this point I'm annoyed with Fitz.  

Wish Macc would make a public announcement.  Deal today is 7mil.  It goes down 100k every day it's not accepted.  

In the meantime maybe we can make another topic/forum and keep all Fitz crap in there?  I understand people like him.  But he's not currently a Jet.  He's a career journeyman trying to rob this team and hurt its future.  

It'd be nice to come to the board and not have to see Fitz stuff.  Unless he signs for 7mil or less (which is still too much for him), F-him.

Or is there a thread filter?  Maybe I can just exclude any thread titles with "Fitz" or "Noodle".

Fact is there are many different perspectives on Fitz as QB of the NYJ 

if I read yours right it's "I don't like him, I don't want him ... Even for backup QB money!"

i am of the opinion he is better than the major other options available now ... If we find a reasonable # for salary in 2016 ... With flexibility in 2017 & beyond to move on we should do it.

if you, or others, have a creative way to get someone else (I.e. Glennon) with potential I am open to that possibility as well ... Again with reasonable compensation and salary.

the big debate is ... How do we define reasonable.

anyway, unless you have a better idea, I think it''s foolish to cut your nose off to spite your face with him.

jmo

18 minutes ago, ljr said:

Fact is there are many different perspectives on Fitz as QB of the NYJ 

if I read yours right it's "I don't like him, I don't want him ... Even for backup QB money!"

i am of the opinion he is better than the major other options available now ... If we find a reasonable # for salary in 2016 ... With flexibility in 2017 & beyond to move on we should do it.

if you, or others, have a creative way to get someone else (I.e. Glennon) with potential I am open to that possibility as well ... Again with reasonable compensation and salary.

the big debate is ... How do we define reasonable.

anyway, unless you have a better idea, I think it''s foolish to cut your nose off to spite your face with him.

jmo

Makes sense.  Actually after I posted it, realized it was a bit harsh.  In the off-chance Fitz follows his threads and read that...  my bad.  Do appreciate the effort last season.  

I'd definitely want him back.  He is a great backup and somewhat solid starter when needed.  Just don't want to handicap the team paying him too much (defined as 7mil+).  Especially on a multi-year deal.  

If Geno or Petty beat him out in camp this year or next, really don't want 7mil+ tied up on a backup QB.

RG3 had a visit with the Browns today so expect some action in the next two weeks

Final offer to Fitz, Vet minimum plus 1 million per win, including playoffs, -2million if Jets miss playoffs or he get benched for another 3 interception game with playoffs on the line

+ Free cars for divisional wins, I would be ok in cap hell after a Super Bowl victory

9 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Nothing we already didn't know, other than Macc putting on a poker face and basically saying that he's willing to part ways with Fitz if need be

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15008648/mike-maccagnan-new-york-jets-seek-middle-ground-ryan-fitzpatrick

Cimini talks about options that the Jets have wont be as good as Fitzpatrick, as if he would have said that this time last year. 

Jack-ass-hat. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Just re-watched Geno's win over the Falcons on MNF....let Fitz walk, hand the keys to Geno.  Super Bowl!

Fitz is average. He wants to be paid like he is above average.

You can't pay players more than they are worth in the salary cap era. Not if you want to win.

If Fitz somehow gets someone to pay him more than the Jets feel he is worth, I still don't see the Jets handing Geno the starting job.

Performance based contract only! Starting with you get more money by winning another QB competition in camp. I don't want a handsomely paid comfortable Fitz like he was when the Bills gave him his 1st big contract.

I want a chip on his shoulder, run through a brick wall, I'm gonna show everybody again Fitz with every win like a carrot hanging in front of him with the playoffs the only big incentive bonus. 

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Performance based contract only! Starting with you get more money by winning another QB competition in camp. I don't want a handsomely paid comfortable Fitz like he was when the Bills gave him his 1st big contract.

I want a chip on his shoulder, run through a brick wall, I'm gonna show everybody again Fitz with every win like a carrot hanging in front of him with the playoffs the only big incentive bonus. 

Yes, @KRL mentioned this as well. Makes a ton of sense. This is probably what it will take to get him back here, both sides seem pretty well entrenched in their opinions.

There should be no middle ground with this player . The Jets need to make this guy a strong firm take it or go pound sand offer . If I am paying you top dollar, you should be capable of making those around you better, not looking to those around you to improve your standing .

It would be so SOJ to cut Fitz's blindside pass protector to pay Fitz instead and have him carted off to IR on Week 1.

Fitz delivering a SB victory?

The guy has never played in a playoff game in 11 years.

Look, there are no bonafide 100% can't miss Qbs available and on the open market. The guys in the discussion like Kap are regressing players. We've seen players in that category who were starters and end up out of the league early. We just had one guy in the same category as Kap who visited us and was recently cut by his team after just a few years ago they traded a boat load of draft picks to get him. Kap even got benched last year for Blaine Gabbert another failed entity. So why would we want him. Even franchise Qbs like Aaron Rodgers who aren't available did not have perfect seasons. Actually Fitz was one of the best Qbs in the NFL last season. So for all of those Jets fans who bemoan the fact that they will die before we make the Super Bowl. We have a chance this coming season to compete. And who knows, nobody expected the Panthers to be the best regular season team in the NFL last year and to be the favorite to win the SB. So for those who say let's plan for the future and get a developing Qb I say the future is now. In 2016 I definitely don't want to develop a new Qb and go back a step one or two and hope that in 3 years maybe we can win. We can win now. Sign the dude.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look, there are no bonafide 100% can't miss Qbs available and on the open market. The guys in the discussion like Kap are regressing players. We've seen players in that category who were starters and end up out of the league early. We just had one guy in the same category as Kap who just visited us and was recently cut by his team after just a few years they traded a boat load of draft picks to get him. Kap even got benched last year for Blaine Gabbert another failed entity. So why would we want him. Even franchise Qbs like Aaron Rodgers who aren't available did not have perfect seasons. Actually Fitz was one of the best Qbs in the NFL last season. So for all of those Jets fans who bemoan the fact that they will die before we make the Super Bowl. We have a chance this coming season to compete. And who knows, nobody expected the Panthers to be the best regular season team in the NFL last year and to be the favorite to win the SB. So for those who say let's plan for the future and get a developing Qb I say the future is now. In 2016 I definitely don't want to develop a new Qb and go back a step one or two and hope that in 3 years maybe we can win. We can win now. Sign the dude.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuu1XMbbCEVj2ulfIsXNN

Archived