Brian Hoyer to Jets ?

kelly

Exactly three weeks after free agency began on March 9,Ryan Fitzpatrick remains a free agent & the Jets' quarterback situation remains unresolved.The Jets are investigating fallback options, in case Fitzpatrick happens to sign elsewhere, though he doesn't exactly have a lot of options right now. 

Could one of the Jets' backup plans be Brian Hoyer, whom they considered signing in free agency last offseason before they traded for Fitzpatrick ? 

Well, the Jets currently have former starter Geno Smith and second-year pro Bryce Petty in their quarterback room. And if Fitzpatrick bolts, it might not be a bad idea to bring in another veteran who can compete with Smith for the startingjob.But back to Hoyer, 30. He signed a two-year contract with Houston last offseason. The Texans replaced him as their starting quarterback when they signed Brock Osweiler earlier this month. And now comes an unsurprising report from NFL Media's Ian Rapoport that the Texans and Hoyer are heading for a split.

Note from @NFLTotalAccess: #Texans and QB Brian Hoyer appear headed for a divorce and both sides sound OK with a fresh start. He's available

Hoyer is under contract through 2016, but would anybody trade for him? Houston ideally would like to get something, anything back for Hoyer. But if the Texans can't trade him, they could release him, and he'd be available to sign as a free agent. For the Jets, that would be a more attractive scenario than trading for Hoyer, because they have just six picks in this year's draft. Remember, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, entering his second year on the job, used to work for GM Rick Smith in Houston. Maccagnan got the better of Smith in that Fitzpatrick trade last offseason.

Hoyer had a solid 2015 season in Houston (19 touchdowns, seven interceptions, 91.4 rating), but he threw four picks in a wildcard round playoff loss to the Chiefs.Also remember, the Broncos also have an unsettled quarterback situation, so Hoyer might want to go there and compete with former Jet Mark Sanchez.Browns quarterback Josh McCown could soon join Fitzpatrick (and Hoyer?) in the mostly lackluster group of free agent quarterbacks, since Cleveland has signedRobert Griffin III. At the very least, McCown now could be traded. 

At this point, all indications/reports point toward Colin Kaepernick remaining with the 49ers, so it appears he's out of the equation for the Jets and Broncos. 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/03/brian_hoyer_to_jets_hell_soon_be_available_if_they.html#incart_river_index

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping last season that we'd sign Hoyer. And I liked him way over Fitz. But if you watched the Texans he really wasn't good last season. Sure I'd take him over Geno (and even that is a question mark-I'd give Geno a shot in training camp). But if we can't sign Fitz I'd go first for McCown and after that consider Hoyer,. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I was hoping last season that we'd sign Hoyer. And I liked him way over Fitz. But if you watched the Texans he really wasn't good last season. Sure I'd take him over Geno (and even that is a question mark-I'd give Geno a shot in the dark in training camp). But if we can't sign Fitz I'd go first for McCown and after that consider Hoyer,. 

Not disagreeing, but none of those options looks attractive. Agree on Hoyer, whose regular season numbers make him look like he had a better season than he did. I posted a week ago how a bunch of his TDs came purely in garbage time in 2 games.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans and Brian Hoyer are "headed for a divorce."

Per Rapsheet, "both sides sound OK with a fresh start." The Texans have tried to claim this wasn't the case, but it's been the obvious endgame since they lavished $72 million on Brock Osweiler. Due $5.25 million in the final year of his contract, Hoyer can likely be acquired for a day-three draft pick. His status may not be resolved until Ryan Fitzpatrick and Colin Kaepernick know their 2016 fates.

It amazes me how much venom there is when QB's of the same caliber as Fitzpatrick
(McCown & Hoyer) are mentioned.  All three of them were options in 2015 and we
happened to end up with Fitzpatrick.  If this happens it means the organization
believes any QB that can handle the basics of the position will be successful:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3609/josh-mccown

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12477/brian-hoyer

I appreciate what Fitzpatrick brought last year but he's not Rodgers.  Just
because we had poor QB play for the six years prior don't overestimate what
Fitzpatrick did

Relatively cheap, one year deal, and can hold the fort in a not really expecting anything year until the Jets can see if Petty is the goods or a draft pick this year can have a year to learn. If Fitz isn't brought back they'll need a vet to lean on to start the season. Could do a lot worse than Hoyer.

IIRC, Hoyer was the Jets first choice last year. He decided to sign with Houston, making Fitzpatrick available by trade. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets signed Hoyer over Fitz if the Texans decide to release him. 

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

It amazes me how much venom there is when QB's of the same caliber as Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick did

If anyone doubts that fitzpatrick was not much better than mediocre in 2015, please read and watch these videos.  Fitzpatrick got very lucky he had Marshall.  If the article and videos don't convince you, then you just might be living an illusion.

http://presnapreads.com/2016/03/28/chan-gailey-new-york-jets-dont-need-ryan-fitzpatrick/

22 minutes ago, KRL said:

Fitzpatrick did

At least Fitz played well the year prior to coming here....

Hoyer and Mallet were playing hot potato with the starting job last year and when O'Brien finally decided he had enough of Mallet, Hoyer continued to be terrible

Been a fan for a long time, watch every play of every game. While fitz was ok, I can't remember how many times I saw him miss easy passes and completely destroy momentum because of his inaccurate throwing. Having a really good supporting staff made it even worse. Cant remember how many times I watched and yelled out, "why the **** is he still in there", "get him the **** out of there". So there really shouldn't be any threads wanting this guy to come back, but for all the smart guys on here, theres triple that in idiots.

52 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I was hoping last season that we'd sign Hoyer. And I liked him way over Fitz. But if you watched the Texans he really wasn't good last season. Sure I'd take him over Geno (and even that is a question mark-I'd give Geno a shot in training camp). But if we can't sign Fitz I'd go first for McCown and after that consider Hoyer,. 

Fitz was better with O'Brien and Gailey than Hoyer was with O'Brien and likely would be with Gailey.

Hoyer was the type of bad in the playoffs last year that would scar our fanbase forever. No thanks.

I'm actually thinking Fitz or McCown at this point.

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If anyone doubts that fitzpatrick was not much better than mediocre in 2015, please read and watch these videos.  Fitzpatrick got very lucky he had Marshall.  If the article and videos don't convince you, then you just might be living an illusion.

http://presnapreads.com/2016/03/28/chan-gailey-new-york-jets-dont-need-ryan-fitzpatrick/

You don't think Fitz threw some/most of those passes the way he did because he was throwing to Marshall and knew he'd go and get it? Of course he throws ducks and his arm is not great, but when you can a receiver like Marshall, you throw him open more than you hit him in stride.

7 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Been a fan for a long time, watch every play of every game. While fitz was ok, I can't remember how many times I saw him miss easy passes and completely destroy momentum because of his inaccurate throwing. Having a really good supporting staff made it even worse. Cant remember how many times I watched and yelled out, "why the **** is he still in there", "get him the **** out of there". So there really shouldn't be any threads wanting this guy to come back, but for all the smart guys on here, theres triple that in idiots.

So what's your alternative to Fitz? Who is the QB savior of the New York Jets?

37 minutes ago, KRL said:

Fitzpatrick did

You're not wrong that they're similar caliber QBs. But at this point, bringing any of those in means learning a new offense for all of them but Fitz, who already knows it well. Also a learning curve for the coaches, who have customized the play book to Fitz's limitations, and would need to experience by fire what these other guys can/can't handle.

That said, I'm not sure any of it matters. We're looking at a worst case scenario season where we get anywhere from 6 to 9 wins. Whoever is the QB in 2016 is a stop gap, at least we better hope so. Honestly, we're probably better off with a 3-4 win season given that next year and beyond are our only realistic shot at becoming an elite team.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You don't think Fitz threw some/most of those passes the way he did because he was throwing to Marshall and knew he'd go and get it? Of course he throws ducks and his arm is not great, but when you can a receiver like Marshall, you throw him open more than you hit him in stride.

So what's your alternative to Fitz? Who is the QB savior of the New York Jets?

there is no savior this year.  Then again, I'm a fan of moving up to get Goff or Wentz, because it all starts and ends with a franchise QB.  We have the #20, Mo Wilk plus I'd give more picks to get into position.  

But that's me. 

Honestly, signing these terrible veterans literally does nothing for this franchise but set them back.  

Fitz great year last year, has the Jets in a sh*t situation.  Would have been better off with Geno last year. 

Start Geno or Petty.  I mean for **** sake, who cares who the QB is?  They all suck donkey dick..  Everyone of them.  The Jets are lucky to win 8 games next year, so why not ride or die and maybe get Watson?

I hate this team.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno > Hoyrr

And I think Geno sucks

35 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

If we trade for Hoyer I will scream! 

I'd rather go back to Geno then give up a pick for Hoyer

Hoyer will have jets fans screaming for Geno or Petty by week 2.

Just start Geno or trade for Glennon.  I am worn out by this stupidity 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Honestly, signing these terrible veterans literally does nothing for this franchise but set them back.  

Fitz great year last year, has the Jets in a sh*t situation.  Would have been better off with Geno last year. 

Start Geno or Petty.  I mean for **** sake, who cares who the QB is?  They all suck donkey dick..  Everyone of them.  The Jets are lucky to win 8 games next year, so why not ride or die and maybe get Watson?

I hate this team.

Fitz was good last year but we win  8 or 9 games with Geno starting,. Geno is more turnover prone but he is a better thrower and can make downfield plays Fitz cannot.

Id prefer Fitz back but Geno  is not the extreme downgrade the media and fans make him out to be.  And oh yeah I would take Geno over terrible Hoyer 

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Fitz was good last year but we win  8 or 9 games with Geno starting,. Geno is more turnover prone but he is a better thrower and can make downfield plays Fitz cannot.

Id prefer Fitz back but Geno  is not the extreme downgrade the media and fans make him out to be.  And oh yeah I would take Geno over terrible Hoyer 

With Geno starting as what, punt protector?

48 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is a darn good article and an excellent break down of Fitz.  The article also highlights what a BEAST Marshall truly is....

Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Agreed 100%.  As much as I enjoyed Fitz and his passion, etc.  I dont think for one second that Geno would have been that far of a fall in production at all. And even if it was, so what?  At least we'd know something and could move forward.  Now we're being held hostage by ******* Ryan Fitzpatrick who does nothing for this team, at all.

So we are stuck with, what if and zero solution other than hoping a QB falls to 20 or a bunch of sh*tty vets that nobody wants.

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

This is a darn good article and an excellent break down of Fitz.  The article also highlights what a BEAST Marshall truly is....

Thanks!!

agreed.  It was the most informative thing I have read to date about Fitzpatrick and I am convinced that the Jets should not spend more than market for him, which should be about $ 7 million.  Frankly, I'd rather move forward .  I am leaning more and more towards a trade up. But I value the QB position a lot more highly than many here.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Agreed 100%.  As much as I enjoyed Fitz and his passion, etc.  I dont think for one second that Geno would have been that far of a fall in production at all. And even if it was, so what?  At least we'd know something and could move forward.  Now we're being held hostage by ******* Ryan Fitzpatrick who does nothing for this team, at all.

So we are stuck with, what if and zero solution other than hoping a QB falls to 20 or a bunch of sh*tty vets that nobody wants.

Brian Hoyer was so bad in that wildcard game some people think he was point shaving

Archived