What do you think the Jets record could be if....

Villain The Foe

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A fair question, actually, given that we were outscored by 97 points that season. 

Other 8-8 teams that season and their point differentials:

Steelers (+ 9)

Cowboys (+ 9)

Dolphins (- 18)

Ravens (- 32)

Bears (- 33)

Also, the 7-9 Lions were + 19.

8-8 is the number that ultimately matters no matter how you spin.  It so inconceivable to you that he could come close to that number of wins again, with another year of playing experience, another year on the bench watching and a much better supporting cast which includes a OC who is known for getting the most out of average or below average quarterbacks?  

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jett said:

Fitz : 7-9 or 8-8

Geno : 6-10

Petty : 4-12

Hackenberg : 5-11

If that is the case we go with Geno, no need to rush Hack; let him take over after we have been eliminated from playoff contention, and definitely no need to sign Fitz. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

If that is the case we go with Geno, no need to rush Hack; let him take over after we have been eliminated from playoff contention, and definitely no need to sign Fitz. 

As much as I hate geno I have to agree here. If for whatever reason this would be the case I'd rather have geno/petty take their licks with hack riding the pine 

2 minutes ago, jett said:

As much as I hate geno I have to agree here. If for whatever reason this would be the case I'd rather have geno/petty take their licks with hack riding the pine 

Yep, the bottom line that too many people who are caught in Fitz or Geno camp seem to not realize or really focus on is that no matter who starts this year, they are just keeping the seat warm for Hackenberg, either for later this year or next season.  

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yep, the bottom line that too many people who are caught in Fitz or Geno camp seem to not realize or really focus on is that no matter who starts this year, they are just keeping the seat warm for Hackenberg, either for later this year or next season.  

While I'm optimistic about the young duo.  There is no guarantee whatsoever either will be better than Geno.  Heck they may not even be on par with Fitz.

Just now, Mike135 said:

While I'm optimistic about the young duo.  There is no guarantee whatsoever either will be better than Geno.  Heck they may not even be on part with Fitz.

That is true but you can tell the team is sold on Hack and unless he falls flat on his face, this team is going to be his.  Of course stranger things have happened.  The best case scenario is that Geno finally matures, has an excellent season and we are able to get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick when he is signed by another team.   Hack and Petty continue to battle it out and the best man wins, who it this case I think will be Hackenberg.  

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

That is true but you can tell the team is sold on Hack and unless he falls flat on his face, this team is going to be his.  Of course stranger things have happened.  The best case scenario is that Geno finally matures, has an excellent season and we are able to get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick when he is signed by another team.   Hack and Petty continue to battle it out and the best man wins, who it this case I think will be Hackenberg.  

I must've missed something.  How do we know the team is sold on Hack?  All I know is the Jets first tried to trade away their 2nd pick to move up for Tunsil.  Once that didn't work, they grabbed Hack in the 2nd.  Did Macc or Bowles say something that would lead you to believe Hack is our future guy?

Best case is Geno leads us to the playoffs vs this insane schedule and we extend him.

30 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I must've missed something.  How do we know the team is sold on Hack?  All I know is the Jets first tried to trade away their 2nd pick to move up for Tunsil.  Once that didn't work, they grabbed Hack in the 2nd.  Did Macc or Bowles say something that would lead you to believe Hack is our future guy?

Best case is Geno leads us to the playoffs vs this insane schedule and we extend him.

No.

The best case scenario is that despite being a flaw team, with flawed players, the Jets win the SB.

What you're talking about is the ceiling for Geno as the QB of this team, in your opinion.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No.

The best case scenario is that despite being a flaw team, with flawed players, the Jets win the SB.

What you're talking about is the ceiling for Geno as the QB of this team, in your opinion.

Yeah, I should've said that's what I think is the best, most realistic option.

The absolute best option would be for Hack to somehow take over and then win the SB.  Youngest guy that we could keep for cheap for the longest.

6 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Can you give me the teams you see the Jets beating to reach those record.    Thanks . Pretty tough Jet schedule next year.

I was just taking a quick look through next year's schedule, and wondering where I'd put my money if I were a betting man. Here was my rough thinking.

Bear in mind I'm making one assumption - that, whoever we start under center, we get decent QB play. Not great, not dreadful, just decent.

Anyway ...

NFC West - two really good teams, and two not very good. I'm thinking 2-2 here

AFC North - two really good teams, one not very good, and one that's tough to read due to how many injuries they had last year. I'm going to go 2-2 again, but 3-1 or 1-3 wouldn't be surprises

2nd place teams (KC, Ind) - I don't think KC are as good as they got credit for last year (their opponents in that 10 game run were hardly a murderer's row). But our game is on the road which makes it tougher. Ind may bounce back on last year, but we get home field, and again I'm not convinced they're as good as people make out. Proving that QB is not the be all and end all. I'll go 1-1 here, but 2-0 not out of the question

AFC East - the toughest games to predict. I still see Miami as weakest of the lot, 2-0 a possibility, but 1-1 wouldn't surprise me; don't see us getting swept by Rex again, but also don't see us sweeping them so I'll go 1-1. NE, best case 1-1, worst 0-2.

Taking the absolute low end of my guesses gives me 6-10, and the absolute high end 11-5. Quite a range, but my gut feel comes out at either 8-8 or 9-7. Just remember my assumption that these are based on. :-) 

Fitz best case:  9-7

week 1  Bengals - win

week 2 @ Bills - loss

week 3 @ chiefs  - win

week 4 seahawks - loss

week 5 @ Steelers - loss

week 6 @ cardinals - loss

week 7 Ravens - win

week 8 @ Browns - win

week 9 @ Dolphins - win

week 10 Rams - win

week 11 Bye

week 12 Patriots - win

week 13 Colts - loss

week 14 @ 49ers - win

week 15 Dolphins - win

week 16 @ Patriots - loss

week 17 Bills - loss

Geno best case:  12-4

week 1  Bengals - win

week 2 @ Bills - loss

week 3 @ chiefs  - win

week 4 seahawks - win

week 5 @ Steelers - loss

week 7 Ravens - win

week 8 @ Browns - win

week 9 @ Dolphins - win

week 10 Rams - win

week 11 Bye

week 12 Patriots - win

week 13 Colts - win

week 14 @ 49ers - win

week 15 Dolphins - win

week 17 Bills - win

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Yeah, I should've said that's what I think is the best, most realistic option.

The absolute best option would be for Hack to somehow take over and then win the SB.  Youngest guy that we could keep for cheap for the longest.

lol, it would be very Jetsy for us to finally find a QB, then lose him in FA for some stupid reason... 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Fitz best case:  9-7

week 1  Bengals - win

week 2 @ Bills - loss

week 3 @ chiefs  - win

week 4 seahawks - loss

week 5 @ Steelers - loss

week 7 Ravens - win

week 8 @ Browns - win

week 9 @ Dolphins - win

week 10 Rams - win

week 11 Bye

week 12 Patriots - win

week 13 Colts - loss

week 14 @ 49ers - win

week 15 Dolphins - win

week 17 Bills - loss

Geno best case:  12-4

week 1  Bengals - win

week 2 @ Bills - loss

week 3 @ chiefs  - win

week 4 seahawks - win

week 5 @ Steelers - loss

week 7 Ravens - win

week 8 @ Browns - win

week 9 @ Dolphins - win

week 10 Rams - win

week 11 Bye

week 12 Patriots - win

week 13 Colts - win

week 14 @ 49ers - win

week 15 Dolphins - win

week 17 Bills - win

lol

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont mind cutting Breno, I mind cutting Breno and not having a replacement. Some of us are just gifting Brandon Shell this job. Now, I can admit, it probably wont take much to outperform Breno given what we seen from him last year. At the same time though, a replacement needs to be on the team. 

I wouldnt want to put Geno or Fitz behind a line with a glaring hole at RT. Granted, it already seems like that, but as Jets fans we most definitely know the difference between Breno Giaccomini and Wayne Hunter. lol. Give me Giaccomini every day of the week!

If cutting him is the thing to do, then his replacement cant be worse. 

If you don't want to pay an extra $5M for a bridge QB, why would you want to pay an extra $5M for a bridge RT? They have a few young guys, so start the best of them and keep the extra $5M. They'll be fine without Breno. 

I don't even want Fitz back that badly and I'd still say if we're locking ourselves into spending every dollar available this year then I'd rather throw $5M to Fitz than to Breno. It's not like he provides a lot of time and one of Fitz's traits (and this is both good and bad) is that he gets rid of the ball right away. He'll do that with Breno same as he'll do that with Shell or someone else. Also then I don't have to listen all season long to the #science about how, with Fitz instead, we'd have still won every game we did plus we'd have also won every close game we didn't.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you don't want to pay an extra $5M for a bridge QB, why would you want to pay an extra $5M for a bridge RT? They have a few young guys, so start the best of them and keep the extra $5M. They'll be fine without Breno. 

I don't even want Fitz back that badly and I'd still say if we're locking ourselves into spending every dollar available this year then I'd rather throw $5M to Fitz than to Breno. It's not like he provides a lot of time and one of Fitz's traits (and this is both good and bad) is that he gets rid of the ball right away. He'll do that with Breno same as he'll do that with Shell or someone else. Also then I don't have to listen all season long to the #science about how, with Fitz instead, we'd have still won every game we did plus we'd have also won every close game we didn't.

Because I have another QB here that im comfortable moving forward with than paying that bridge QB 7-10 million. I cant say that at the moment for Breno and the RT position because who have we seen play? The Jets will have plenty of time to look at Shell and then make a decision on Breno, however, making that decision blindly doesnt make sense to me. 

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Can you give me the teams you see the Jets beating to reach those record.    Thanks . Pretty tough Jet schedule next year.

Listen the schedule is insanely difficult I agree, especially in the beginning part of of the season, which is just cruel. However there are an insane amount of variables in play. 

1. We have a pretty good team, and our defense got better and will give us a chance to compete in every game. 

2. I can't even count how many times I've looked at a schedule for the upcoming season and think a team will be good and they flat out stink. Anyone think before last season started Colts would be awful? In fact, when we beat them week 2 I thought of it as an incredibly impressive win. So teams that we think will be difficult, they might stink, and absolutely vice versa as well. Not too mention, the Jets have usually always played good teams tough. It's always the easy wins we screw up on. 

3. Injuries. Can't predict them. Maybe tom goes down? Or Ben? Who knows.

There are more but you get the idea. We won't know what teams are for real, including our own until a few weeks into the season, then we can really evaluate our schedule. I have no problem using all these variables why we can't squeak out 8 or so wins with fitz, 6 with Geno, etc etc. 

Regardless of the QB situation I feel if the Jets can make it out of the first 6 weeks at 3-3 then 9-10+ wins is very realistic. Usually one 9-7 team (Jets were obviously extremely unfortunate last year) gets a wildcard spot so I'd take our chances at that point. Even though I still believe Geno's ceiling is higher than Fitz, the abundance of talent surrounding them on both sides of the ball will make us a playoff contender regardless of who starts. Trying my best to be "logically" biased. ;)

14 hours ago, Colgateman said:

I love it how you ran out of the other thread a few days ago after I gave you the facts.

now you came back in shame avoiding that thread because you were wrongs so you decided to come to another thread to spew bullsh*t. 

colgateman laying the hammer down!! lol

Fitz costs too much to be a realistic option in my opinion, so lets roll with Geno.

Teams will be looking to rattle Geno and get him to make mistakes, point blank. Teams that can do that will be the ? games.  Our D should bail Geno out in a couple of those games, so I dont think this season looks like a write off entirely.

week 1  Bengals - win ? (D saves Geno IMO)

week 2 @ Bills - loss ?

week 3 @ Chiefs  - loss

week 4 Seahawks - win ? (D saves Geno IMO)

week 5 @ Steelers - loss

week 6 @ Cardinals - loss

week 7 Ravens - win ?

week 8 @ Browns - win

week 9 @ Dolphins - win

week 10 Rams - win

week 11 Bye

week 12 Patriots - win ?

week 13 Colts - win

week 14 @ 49ers - loss

week 15 Dolphins - win

week 17 Bills - win

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

We won more than I expected last year, if that's what you mean?

Teams win games, not QB's.  If Geno's play warrants giving him credit, I'll happily give it to him.

However, as stated, I don't believe that is going to be the case.  I do, tho, hope to be proven wrong if Geno is indeed the starter in 2016.

this! no matter how many times you say it, its still argued to death. the ultimate straw man topic

19 hours ago, Jet9 said:

If I were a betting man I'd say Fitz gets us 1/2 - 1  more wins. That said, Geno gets us 8-9 wins this year.

There's really no way to measure that but if I had to bet, I'd bet on Geno getting more wins than Fitz in this offense. 

Honestly, why the heck are people calling for Petty to start? This is a guy who just recently commented on him being able to read defenses in madden, freaking madden. This is a guy who had a mad inconsistent arm in college and was drafted in the 4th round cause he couldn't read a defense. He shouldn't be anywhere near the starting job. We either go with Geno or Hack for this year if we don't sign any other qb.

2 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

Honestly, why the heck are people calling for Petty to start? This is a guy who just recently commented on him being able to read defenses in madden, freaking madden. This is a guy who had a mad inconsistent arm in college and was drafted in the 4th round cause he couldn't read a defense. He shouldn't be anywhere near the starting job. We either go with Geno or Hack for this year if we don't sign any other qb.

He was drafted in the 4th because he didn't read defenses in college. That's different from not being able to. Maybe we'll wait and see how he does before deciding. He said something he shouldn't have, but seriously do you want him to be out playing against real defenses in our development league? 

There are 14 padded practices allowed for the year now with 11 of those in the first 11 weeks. That means he has practiced exactly 3 times since week 11. Anything that he's done will have to have been on his own. The coaches have no idea how far he has, or hasn't come. 

13 hours ago, jett said:

Listen the schedule is insanely difficult I agree, especially in the beginning part of of the season, which is just cruel. However there are an insane amount of variables in play. 

1. We have a pretty good team, and our defense got better and will give us a chance to compete in every game. 

2. I can't even count how many times I've looked at a schedule for the upcoming season and think a team will be good and they flat out stink. Anyone think before last season started Colts would be awful? In fact, when we beat them week 2 I thought of it as an incredibly impressive win. So teams that we think will be difficult, they might stink, and absolutely vice versa as well. Not too mention, the Jets have usually always played good teams tough. It's always the easy wins we screw up on. 

3. Injuries. Can't predict them. Maybe tom goes down? Or Ben? Who knows.

There are more but you get the idea. We won't know what teams are for real, including our own until a few weeks into the season, then we can really evaluate our schedule. I have no problem using all these variables why we can't squeak out 8 or so wins with fitz, 6 with Geno, etc etc. 

I find KC's schedule from last year a very good case in point of all of the above :

Insanely difficult especially in the beginning part of of the season

First 6 weeks - Texans, Broncos, Packers, Bengals, Bears, Vikings ... there's FIVE eventual playoff teams right there, 4 of them division winners. Result : 1-5 start. Most people wrote them off at this point. Much like if the Jets start 1-5 this year they'll be buried and forgotten about

Last 10 weeks - Steelers, Lions, Broncos, Chargers, Bills, Raiders, Chargers, Ravens, Browns, Raiders ... a total of TWO playoff teams, BOTH of whom were missing their franchise QB when KC played them (or in Denver's case Manning left the game part way through). Denver were also missing Ware and Talib, and Sanders was playing injured. Other than that the toughest match ups were Buffalo and Raiders * 2, with only one of those being on the road. Ravens were an injury riddled mess, SD likewise, and the Browns and the Lions were ... the Browns and the Lions. Result : 10-0 finish and a WC spot

We have a pretty good team, and our defense got better and will give us a chance to compete in every game

In many of the games it was the D that kept them in it  - direct quote from the Denver game report on NFL.com ...

The Chiefs won their third straight game thanks to a stifling defense and Cairo's field goals of 48, 49, 34, 33 and 50 yards.

In 7 of those 10 games overall the opponents failed to score more than 14 points. The Chargers managed a single FG in each of their matchups.

Teams you'd expect to be good that flat out stunk

SD going 4-12? Balt 5-11?No-one would have predicted that at the start of the year

Injuries. Can't predict them.

Big Ben. Manning. Flacco. Suggs. Talib, Ware, Sanders as mentioned above. And I'm sure there were more. Chiefs main injury was Jamaal Charles - great player, but an easier position to fill in, West did a great job and in fact they may have played better after that injury.

Now I'm not predicting the same for the Jets - a 10-0 finish would be a miracle especially playing NE twice in that span. But NE twice w. Brady is very different from NE twice w. Garropolo, just like Steelers w. Ben is very different from Steelers w. Landry

Aside from that there are no games I would see as truly scary after Week 6. So yes, a tough start, but it's a 16 game season, and the later it gets in the year the more the injuries mount up. Maybe you're on the positive side of that, maybe the negative side.

First 6 weeks - 5 playoff teams from last year (sound familiar?)

Last 10 weeks - 2 playoff teams from last year (both NE) (sound familiar)?

11-5 and a WC spot here we come! :D 

Archived