Jets Offer to Fitz at $11 million?

JetNation

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's not crappy and everyone who's reasonable knows that. As for the money let the FO make that call not us. I'm ok with whatever decision they make. 

Really the only view we can take, tbqh.

If Macc and Bowles and Chan believe in Geno Smith, well, ok.  Stop chasing Fitz, lets go to War with Geno, and the chips (and future employment for our team) will fall where it may.

Otherwise, get Fitz signed and get to work on 2016.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Johnny Manziel had more TD's (7) than INT's (5) last season and is out of the league.

Proves your examples don't work.

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do I need to keep going?

You're spinning in mud with bald tires.

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz was not an elite Qb but he was ok and actually not that bad when he started. His entire career before he came to the Jets was with bad teams. Of course he didn't have a good winning record and didn't make the playoffs. Nobody is saying he's great but last year he was good. You don't get rid of a starting Qb after a good year or find reasons to explain why he succeeded (schedule, weather or something else crazy). The bottom line is he won and we were competitive. You can analyze that all you want. You want to win or rebuild?

If Fitz wins us a SB he'd be worth Bobby Bonilla money. I wouldn't care how much he's paid. I said that months ago in my recommended deal structure post. 

Seeing that Fitz played mostly fall behind catch-up ball with last season's butter schedule, and seeing that Geno never had an honest shot with a quality team and OC, and seeing that Fitz has defined himself as a sub .500 hack over 10 years & choke artist and Geno is just beginning, I don't automatically assume we'll win more with Fitz than with Geno this year. 

Unless the team quits on Geno and there's bad blood in the locker room and nobody wants Geno as their leader ... that's another story.

I'd rather then accelerate Hack than overpay Fitz. 

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Well OTAs begin today.  Let's all hope Geno, Petty and Hack (or at least 2 of the 3), really impress.  

+1, we should ALL want that, no matter who we think the best choice is today.

Same way we should all hope Fitz does well too if the team resigns him, no matter how much they choose to pay him.

5 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Proves your examples don't work.

You're spinning in mud with bald tires.

I won the argument with Derek Carr alone.  With an offense that featured such weapons as Mychal Rivera and Andre Holmes, he threw 21 TD's to 12 INT's as a rookie.  In Year 2 after adding Amari Cooper to the mix he went for 32:13, one of the best years of any QB last year, not just among young guys.

Even when circumstances are weak, expectations for young QB's are higher than ever before in NFL history.  Geno didn't live up to those expectations, not even close actually, and anyone hoping for a worthwhile year with him under center this year are fooling themselves.  Either Fitz comes back as the bridge guy and we have a decent year, or we end up benching Geno early in the season to throw Petty or Hackenberg out there. 

Geno would be the guy who results in us "spinning in the mud with bald tires".

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I won the argument with Derek Carr alone.  With an offense that featured such weapons as Mychal Rivera and Andre Holmes, he threw 21 TD's to 12 INT's as a rookie.  In Year 2 after adding Amari Cooper to the mix he went for 32:13. 

Even when circumstances are weak, expectations for young QB's are higher than ever before in NFL history.  Geno didn't live up to those expectations and anyone hoping for a worthwhile year with him under center this year are fooling themselves.

I won't agree until he gets a legit chance. Mornhinweg + Rex + Idzik = automatic free pass for Geno

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I won't agree until he gets a legit chance. Mornhinweg + Rex + Idzik = automatic free pass for Geno

He already had his chance.  This past year.  In the Raider game.  He could have taken the job by the horns.  Instead the Jets rushed back Fitz after just having hand surgery 9 days before, because they know Geno is garbage.  And they drafted Petty and Hack and continue to try to bring Fitz back as the starter for that exact reason.

You don't just "get your shot" in games.  You also get it in camp and practice.  The coaches see him every day.  They have a very good idea about what they can expect out of Geno at this point.  And its very little.  The Jets' actions speak volumes.

Let him get his shot for another stupid team out there in 2017, after handing us a compensatory 7th rounder in the process.

I think even Geno's fans admit you'd be taking a chance starting him. His performances so far and he has a fair sample size (29 starts) were league lows. He had a lot more bad games than good ones. So if we start him we're taking a chance with our second best option and not going into the season with our best available Qb. This to me is not smart. 

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He already had his chance.  This past year.  In the Raider game.  He could have taken the job by the horns.  Instead the Jets rushed back Fitz after just having hand surgery 9 days before, because they know Geno is garbage.

Because Gailey (3 yrs experience with Fitz) felt he was further along with Fitz and at 4-2 switching to Geno midseason would've disrupted their progress just for the sake of changing QBs - to a QB they knew little about. 

It made no sense when (a career sub .500) Fitz was doing better than expected.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

And 3.5 less would be 4mil.  No big deal.  Fitz should just take 4 and make everyone happy.

It'd be like the hostage taker had dropped the gun, everyone lived, and he had psychological treatment.  3 months later criminal, hostage and cops all sit down and enjoy some tea.

4 mil may not be a lot of money to you, but that's not the case for everyone.  

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First, this is patently false; you merely think everyone has the same opinion you do because you pay attention and give more credence to those who agree with you and do the opposite to those who don't, as usual. This is hardly the first time you've done this, no matter how many times your "obvious" moves were proven to be wrong, if not disastrous. Next, there are a higher proportion of people at JN (than off it or in the media) who are more likely to think/care long term instead of childish instant gratification. Fitzpatrick will not make us a true contender this year and, at this money, he will then necessarily rob the team of $11M in usable cap space in 2017. He is not the future, and he is not good enough to warrant pissing away more future for the present.

Then next year (or more likely, as early as the latter part of this season) we can have this lovely discussion about which players we "need" to cut in Feb/March 2017 because we won't have enough cap room to sign this or that younger and more desirable FA in March. Meanwhile without signings like an absurd 8-figure season for Fitzpatrick, and a 1 yr extension (tag) for Mo at $16M, no such sacrifice would have been needed. Every GM who lets a high-priced player go to FA is not an imbecile. Between them we're talking about some $27M for those 2 players alone, and only a simultaneous meltdown among a half dozen formidable Jets opponents this year, as well as among the AFC's better teams at large, and no up-and-comers nor bounce-back teams getting better, will make it seem worthwhile in hindsight.

Renting Fitzpatrick for $11M+ for this upcoming season is a fool's errand. It's only compounded by doing the same for Mo at $16M (if he is to become a FA next year, which is where it appears we're headed). A year later neither looks to be on the team (albeit for different reasons) and, when combined with the addition of "last missing piece" type of FA acquisitions this year, like Jenkins, we'll have robbed some $30M and a minimum of 2 draft picks from the 2017 season (not counting Shell, which was fine with me if Maccagnan likes him that much). 

Can we sticky this post?

^

I don't agree that we as fans should think the Jets should not put the best players they can on the field because we are afraid of some of the opponents on the schedule.

It's not like the Jets are considering signing Fitz to a long term contract with big money in the out years.  I really don't see the downside here to signing him at some number around $10mil or so.

Just now, Big Blocker said:

^

I don't agree that we as fans should think the Jets should not put the best players they can on the field because we are afraid of some of the opponents on the schedule.

It's not like the Jets are considering signing Fitz to a long term contract with big money in the out years.  I really don't see the downside here to signing him at some number around $10mil or so.

Because the money spent on Fitz impacts the ability to sign other players.  $11mm goes a long in salary cap dollars.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Because the money spent on Fitz impacts the ability to sign other players.  $11mm goes a long in salary cap dollars.

The Jets will be wasting the entire salary for the rest of the team if they go into the season with Smith as their starter.

They will cover Fitz's contract.  Just watch.

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The Jets will be wasting the entire salary for the rest of the team if they go into the season with Smith as their starter.

They will cover Fitz's contract.  Just watch.

Even if you believe that - the Jets aren't going anywhere with Fitz either.  That's the point most people are saying...Even if you believe Fitz gives you a better chance to win (with btw, I don't believe) he's still not going to be good enough to get you to the playoffs, let alone win a Super Bowl....In fact, I believe Fitz will be benched by week 7 or so....

Save the money and use it next year to keep your home grown starts and bring in impact free agents.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So who can we sign with that money which is less than 1/15 of our salary cap that we would have signed and who'd make a bigger difference than the starting Qb? 

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So who can we sign with that money which is less than 1/15 of our salary cap that we would have signed and who'd make a bigger difference than the starting Qb? 

I honestly don't know what the free agency market looks like next year.  But I'm sure there are plenty of quality players ..The Jets are certainly in need of players at multiple positions (Tackle, Pass Rusher, MLB, Corner, RB etc)..  Moreover, you can use that money to keep Richardson, sign Mo long term or re-sign any other players we find valuable.

Is Fitzpatrick hoping a starting qb trips over his shoelace in OTAs or training camp ? Only other way he is playing this yr if not with jets. I'd give him a stern deadline. As long as gailey is being real in his praise for geno. I think fitz is more likely to get injured than geno. Imagine we cut geno, along with other players to bring in fitz and then he gets hurt.. 

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Let's be reasonable. He signed last year for 3.5 which is backup money. He became the starter and even low starter money is about 10 and that's much lower than the average. Paying him even double or 7 mil is not being nice to him. 

He signed a contract that allows the team to extend him at 110% of last years money.  They had every right to exercise that option.  He signed the deal, no one held a gun to his head,  even though you'll say we don't know that they didn't.   That they offered him 7 mil was nice.  No matter how insulting you find 7 mil per to a journeyman, bottom of the league QB with no potential and who probably doesn't duplicate last seasons success.  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He signed a contract that allows the team to extend him at 110% of last years money.  They had every right to exercise that option.  He signed the deal, no one held a gun to his head,  even though you'll say we don't know that they didn't.   That they offered him 7 mil was nice.  No matter how insulting you find 7 mil per to a journeyman, bottom of the league QB with no potential and who probably doesn't duplicate last seasons success.  

The way I read his deal on Sportac he is a UFA in 2016. His deal was a 2 year deal signed in 2014 with the Texans who traded Fitz to the Jets. Maybe I'm wrong but where does it say he signed a deal that includes 2016 at 110 % over last season. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The way I read his deal on Sportac he is a UFA in 2016. His deal was a 2 year deal signed in 2014 with the Texans who traded Fitz to the Jets. Maybe I'm wrong but where does it say he signed a deal that includes 2016 at 110 over last season. 

It was discussed in detail on Jet Nation.  The Jets owned the clause in the deal he signed.  They could have been shlts and let his deal run the way it was written. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

It was discussed in detail on Jet Nation.  The Jets owned the clause in the deal he signed.  They could have been shlts and let his deal run the way it was written. 

I saw nothing about this 110% clause for 2016. How's about some verification. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Even if you believe that - the Jets aren't going anywhere with Fitz either.  That's the point most people are saying...Even if you believe Fitz gives you a better chance to win (with btw, I don't believe) he's still not going to be good enough to get you to the playoffs, let alone win a Super Bowl....In fact, I believe Fitz will be benched by week 7 or so....

Save the money and use it next year to keep your home grown starts and bring in impact free agents.

Imo you are far too pessimistic.  It's probably coming from your failure to understand Fitz is a better Qb than Smith. 

11 million is a little steep for my blood, first I would like to see a solid source I read the whole thread didn't see anything maybe I missed it. I would be OK if it was for tops 9 to 10 million. I am no Fitz fanboy believe me , because I remember what happened in Buffalo when he got that big salary and the next year he sh*t the bed. I just don't want to go into the season with Geno Smith as our starter. 

5 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Imo you are far too pessimistic.  It's probably coming from your failure to understand Fitz is a better Qb than Smith. 

You may be right, but if the Jets with Fitz couldn't get to the playoffs last year - when virtually everything fell into place for them - I simply don't see them coming close this year.  

Fitz's arm is awful. 

34 minutes ago, ylekram said:

this board is funny. writing off the 2016 season before it starts because of the big, bad schedule.lmao

I could say yeah I don't get it, but it's more than not getting it.  I do sort of get it, but it's because it's coming from a different perspective than I have.

Those saying it pretend that Fitz sucks, or put another way is no better than Smith.  So focusing on the latter way of looking at it, they say "If Fitz is not better than Smith let's play Smith so that he gets another chance, because this time he might actually make something of it."

So the stated pessimism is really a cover to argue for Smith to be the starter.

Now of course if the FO announced tomorrow that they were going to go with Smith as the starter and to hell with Fitzpatrick, some percentage of those people would suddenly be much more optimistic about the season.  Not all mind you.  But certainly some. I think it would be larger than not.

The fact is the Jets won 10 games last year losing some they probably should have, but didn't because they had a rookie HC, a new CS and an OC who had been on a couch for two years, a new Qb, even Marshall was new.  Then they never had a TE, had problems all year figuring out who the 3rd wideout was and never did.  Ferguson was declining and they were working Carpenter into the lineup.  Then by year's end they had no dependable running back.

I get the strength of schedule argument, but imo it does not outweigh all those things which held the team back last year.  And oh year one more thing that held them back was that their backup Qb sucked and  did nothing to help the team.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fitz's arm is awful. 

Yup.  Not that we really have to worry about it, but just imagine Fitz playing in January weather in Jersey, Pitt, NE, Baltimore... lol the entire D could live inside of 10 yards.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yup.  Not that we really have to worry about it, but just imagine Fitz playing in January weather in Jersey, Pitt, NE, Baltimore... lol the entire D could live inside of 10 yards.

Yes. Would be ugly.  

But my biggest problem with Fitz is he requires long sustained drives to score. 

That's very hard to do consistently in the NFL  

His inability to hit the big play Is what worries me the most. 

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Good point but at least he won't be throwing to the other team 30 times a season (hopefully) or fumbling it 15 times and  running into his own Endzone or taken 30 yard sacks. It's not easy being a Jets fan when it comes to our current quarterback situation.  Hopefully hack or Patty comes out of nowhere and pulls a Russell Wilson I'll probably have a better chance at winning a lottery, but I hope hack develops into our franchise QB, hey at least I'm being optimistic about Hack. 

Archived