What's not to love?

Integrity28

The QB position has been talked about relentlessly, and as a result, I believe that the moves this front office has made this offseason... and how directly those moves correlate to addressing why we lost games... has been under-represented. So, given that I don't feel like being productive... I'm going to do a fly-over on some of the key themes from losses/struggles last season, and I'll connect them to moves that have been made to address them.

Let's just get the whole "if we don't have a QB, then we aren't winning sh*t" thing out of the way now. Denver did it last year with the corpse of Peyton Manning, but that was the exception, not the norm. I believe adding 3 QBs in 2 seasons is indicative of the front office trying to solve this problem, and last year, they found a mid-level solution, with mixed results. If you want to discuss hypothetical outcomes that would require time travel, magic and perhaps hallucinogens to be proven out, do it in another thread, but only after you've gone and ****ed yourself proper.

If you want to talk about MacCagnan, and how different he is than what we're used to from a GM and front office, in terms of addressing problems with immediacy versus letting them ruminate for a couple years at a time.... then this is the thread for that. I hope.

Anyway, here's what I've got. I love this guy's pragmatism.

Kick returns: several games were immediately impacted by our inability to return kicks well, most notably Devin Smith taking that ball out of the endzone, and fumbling which basically resulted in a loss

Action: there have been several back-of-the-roster moves that have brought in capable punt/kick returning talent, as well, we've let other players move on.

Field position: I separate this from kick returns, because we literally couldn't field a kick and return it, but overall we also sucked when it came to field position, most notably where it concerned punting. There were several games, losses, where bad punting made holding a lead, or mounting a comeback, completely impossible

Action: We drafted a punter, and signed another as an UDFA. We didn't over-invest any assets in the position, because you shouldn't, but we did  make clear moves to not allow this problem to fester any longer.

A dying running game: As the season wore on, we saw a huge dropoff in effectiveness from the entire running game. Specifically, Chris Ivory was completely ineffective versus Buffalo, and our mid-season losing streak corresponded to Bilal Powell's injury absence. Powell also played no role in week 17, something that is often overlooked.

Action: Let Ivory walk. Bring in Forte, a better fit for this offense, and a player that has effectively put up over 1,200 yards from scrimmage, despite being only a mediocre runner between the tackles. Bring in Khiry Robinson, often compared to Ivory for his thumping style, and once compared to Curtis Martin by Bill Parcells... Khiry is younger, less beat up and equally as effective. Retain Powell, who many fans underrate, as the offense looked completely different with him and his skillset on the field. The rebuilt RB corps features more depth of talent (which means if we have to start our 3rd RB in week 17, it'll be Khiry instead of Stevan Ridley), and better skills to system matches with both Forte and Powell being fantastic receivers.

No 3rd receiving option: Marshall and Decker are beasts. However, when the passing game needed a 3rd option (and Powell wasn't around to be that guy), the dropoff was huge. Whether it was rookie Devin Smith being knocked off routes, Enunwa and Thompkins dropping passes, or our blocking TE not being able to get open in space... there were immediate problems when the offense needed to lean on anyone not named Marshall and Decker.

Action: Despite drafting a WR last year in R2, draft picks were spent this year on the position as well. As well as UDFA and back-of-the-roster moves to try and bring in talent to augment this WR corps. In the past, drafting a WR in round 2 would have meant not adding another for 3 years, while we wait and see if he develops. 

Burned by the deep ball: Cromartie killed us last year. Seriously, there was at least one loss on him. 

Action: Let him go. Keep adding more corners.

Burned by the wheel route: Our LBers got eaten alive by RBs in space last year. It felt like there was a 6-week stretch where we gave up a big TD to a RB on a wheel route every week. 

Action: Continue to add speed to the defense, most specifically at the LBer position. Taking the way that position was constructed under Mangini/Idzik/Rex to be classic run-stuffing LBers, and changing it to use that position to defend against the pass 60%+ of the time, because that's the way the league is. If this defense, namely Darron Lee, can do their job in coverage, this could be a defense that limits teams to 17 pts per game.

Getting off the field on 3rd down: This was a bigger problem under Rex, but it continued to be an issue at times last year for our defense. Largely because RBs were eating our LBers for lunch, but secondarily because our pass rushers were always half-a-step from a drive-ending sack at the point where the QB would get the pass off and pick up the 1st down.

Action: Continue to fill the OLB "pipeline", not just with draft picks, but with solid, low-cost signings. If we can get just one more guy to bring pressure, then those times when Wilk is beating a double-team and misses the sack by one tick of the clock, will turn into sacks, or bigger disruptions where the pass is at least incomplete, or up for grabs for a turnover. Sheldon, Wilk, Big Cat penetrating, with pass rush coming from LBer and/or secondary will do a world of good. When we blitz a safety, we have LBers fast enough to cover, and when we rush the LBers we already know our secondary can get their job done. Lots of cause and effect surrounding this one.

J-E-T-S-Meme.jpg

I love Mac slightly more than I've loved every previous GM  around this time in their tenure. Think he's legit...but his job security you will most likely come down to Hackenburg's development ( or finding any other long-term QB) just as ultimately mike's came down to Sanchez and idziks geno.

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The QB position has been talked about relentlessly, and as a result, I believe that the moves this front office has made this offseason... and how directly those moves correlate to addressing why we lost games... has been under-represented. So, given that I don't feel like being productive... I'm going to do a fly-over on some of the key themes from losses/struggles last season, and I'll connect them to moves that have been made to address them.

Let's just get the whole "if we don't have a QB, then we aren't winning sh*t" thing out of the way now. Denver did it last year with the corpse of Peyton Manning, but that was the exception, not the norm. I believe adding 3 QBs in 2 seasons is indicative of the front office trying to solve this problem, and last year, they found a mid-level solution, with mixed results. If you want to discuss hypothetical outcomes that would require time travel, magic and perhaps hallucinogens to be proven out, do it in another thread, but only after you've gone and ****ed yourself proper.

If you want to talk about MacCagnan, and how different he is than what we're used to from a GM and front office, in terms of addressing problems with immediacy versus letting them ruminate for a couple years at a time.... then this is the thread for that. I hope.

Anyway, here's what I've got. I love this guy's pragmatism.

Kick returns: several games were immediately impacted by our inability to return kicks well, most notably Devin Smith taking that ball out of the endzone, and fumbling which basically resulted in a loss

Action: there have been several back-of-the-roster moves that have brought in capable punt/kick returning talent, as well, we've let other players move on.

Field position: I separate this from kick returns, because we literally couldn't field a kick and return it, but overall we also sucked when it came to field position, most notably where it concerned punting. There were several games, losses, where bad punting made holding a lead, or mounting a comeback, completely impossible

Action: We drafted a punter, and signed another as an UDFA. We didn't over-invest any assets in the position, because you shouldn't, but we did  make clear moves to not allow this problem to fester any longer.

A dying running game: As the season wore on, we saw a huge dropoff in effectiveness from the entire running game. Specifically, Chris Ivory was completely ineffective versus Buffalo, and our mid-season losing streak corresponded to Bilal Powell's injury absence. Powell also played no role in week 17, something that is often overlooked.

Action: Let Ivory walk. Bring in Forte, a better fit for this offense, and a player that has effectively put up over 1,200 yards from scrimmage, despite being only a mediocre runner between the tackles. Bring in Khiry Robinson, often compared to Ivory for his thumping style, and once compared to Curtis Martin by Bill Parcells... Khiry is younger, less beat up and equally as effective. Retain Powell, who many fans underrate, as the offense looked completely different with him and his skillset on the field. The rebuilt RB corps features more depth of talent (which means if we have to start our 3rd RB in week 17, it'll be Khiry instead of Stevan Ridley), and better skills to system matches with both Forte and Powell being fantastic receivers.

No 3rd receiving option: Marshall and Decker are beasts. However, when the passing game needed a 3rd option (and Powell wasn't around to be that guy), the dropoff was huge. Whether it was rookie Devin Smith being knocked off routes, Enunwa and Thompkins dropping passes, or our blocking TE not being able to get open in space... there were immediate problems when the offense needed to lean on anyone not named Marshall and Decker.

Action: Despite drafting a WR last year in R2, draft picks were spent this year on the position as well. As well as UDFA and back-of-the-roster moves to try and bring in talent to augment this WR corps. In the past, drafting a WR in round 2 would have meant not adding another for 3 years, while we wait and see if he develops. 

Burned by the deep ball: Cromartie killed us last year. Seriously, there was at least one loss on him. 

Action: Let him go. Keep adding more corners.

Burned by the wheel route: Our LBers got eaten alive by RBs in space last year. It felt like there was a 6-week stretch where we gave up a big TD to a RB on a wheel route every week. 

Action: Continue to add speed to the defense, most specifically at the LBer position. Taking the way that position was constructed under Mangini/Idzik/Rex to be classic run-stuffing LBers, and changing it to use that position to defend against the pass 60%+ of the time, because that's the way the league is. If this defense, namely Darron Lee, can do their job in coverage, this could be a defense that limits teams to 17 pts per game.

Getting off the field on 3rd down: This was a bigger problem under Rex, but it continued to be an issue at times last year for our defense. Largely because RBs were eating our LBers for lunch, but secondarily because our pass rushers were always half-a-step from a drive-ending sack at the point where the QB would get the pass off and pick up the 1st down.

Action: Continue to fill the OLB "pipeline", not just with draft picks, but with solid, low-cost signings. If we can get just one more guy to bring pressure, then those times when Wilk is beating a double-team and misses the sack by one tick of the clock, will turn into sacks, or bigger disruptions where the pass is at least incomplete, or up for grabs for a turnover. Sheldon, Wilk, Big Cat penetrating, with pass rush coming from LBer and/or secondary will do a world of good. When we blitz a safety, we have LBers fast enough to cover, and when we rush the LBers we already know our secondary can get their job done. Lots of cause and effect surrounding this one.

J-E-T-S-Meme.jpg

What would Winnie Cooper say about that picture ?

15 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I love Mac slightly more than I've loved every previous GM  around this time in their tenure. Think he's legit...but his job security you will most likely come down to Hackenburg's development ( or finding any other long-term QB) just as ultimately mike's came down to Sanchez and idziks geno.

Not sure I agree.

2nd round, 4th round and 7th round draft picks spent on QBs so far. 

I think he's positioned himself well to be judged against the overall success of the team.

QBs ultimately get more people hired and fired than anything else though, so by default you can't be wrong here. :)

Thanks for starting a post that isn't about our QB situation.

I'm optimistic with the job Mac's done turning this roster over. You may not be able to fill every need in every offseason, but he's done a nice job getting more athletic on defense and special teams while providing our QB.. Whoever that may be.. With some legit weapons.

Even when Wilk leaves, I'm feeling good about the core of our defense for the next few years and have to expect the 2017 offseason will focus on improving the OL and getting a young playmaker or two on the offensive side of the ball

2 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

In a totally unrelated observation, my fridge is making low noises that sound like bagpipe music.

Could it be an issue? Nah, EFF-it.

I said the same thing.....  now I have a plumber over and a $500 bill. Seriously.  Dont ignore strange noises from underneath..... :)  TRUTH. Plumbers here now.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I said the same thing.....  now I have a plumber over and a $500 bill. Seriously.  Dont ignore strange noises from underneath..... :)  TRUTH. Plumbers here now.

LOL, well I guess I should take a peek.

Might be an excuse to get a really sweet fridge, to replace this 8 year old one.

17 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Great post, good to see something different and interesting on here.

I figured I've pointed out and griped about the redundancy enough, time to put my money where my mouth is.

Plus, I had time to do it today, which is rare.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

TL;DR but Macc is ungradable at this point

Grades are measure of data, used to reflect quality of performance, and typically derived from weighted, tangible factors.

I'm not assigning a grade.

I'm talking "love" man, like the intangible mushy stuff... for example, you love to read your own posts back to yourself, but nobody is grading your posts.

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I figured I've pointed out and griped about the redundancy enough, time to put my money where my mouth is.

Plus, I had time to do it today, which is rare.

Yeah free time is a rare thing lately, pretty annoying.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What about your toe fungus? I think we can safely grade that.

Does "my toes are the anti-poon" really map to a grading system, rather than just being the curse of T0mshane?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

TL;DR but Macc is ungradable at this point

This is pretty much where I'm at. But if by the end of next season we're not seeing the playoffs or a path to a quarterback then it's time to start looking elsewhere. 3 years is more than enough time to get going on one of those two things.

Love this post in a big way. This TEAM is BETTER than it was last season. We injected the only weakness on our defense with a ton of speed, talent, and youth. On offense we upgraded at LT, RB, are still trotting out one of the best WR duos, Enunwa is going to mature and get better, and we are getting Amaro back.

Does our QB suck? Yes, Geno sucks. But overall, the team around him might be better than it was last year.

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Grades are measure of data, used to reflect quality of performance, and typically derived from weighted, tangible factors.

I'm not assigning a grade.

I'm talking "love" man, like the intangible mushy stuff... for example, you love to read your own posts back to yourself, but nobody is grading your posts.

To clarify, I'm just checking my posts for typos.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is pretty much where I'm at. But if by the end of next season we're not seeing the playoffs or a path to a quarterback then it's time to start looking elsewhere. 3 years is more than enough time to get going on one of those two things.

I think Hackenberg buys Maccagnan until the end of 2017-2018 before the seat gets hot. You've gotta give him a chance to get his QB on the field before he takes the hit, and it just so happens his QB is a long-term project.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Hackenberg buys Maccagnan until the end of 2017-2018 before the seat gets hot. You've gotta give him a chance to get his QB on the field before he takes the hit, and it just so happens his QB is a long-term project.

And given this owner and fanbase, there is no reason to believe we won't tolerate it. If we were willing to put up with Sanchez for 5 years and Geno for 4, that's pretty much what we deserve.

46 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And given this owner and fanbase, there is no reason to believe we won't tolerate it. If we were willing to put up with Sanchez for 5 years and Geno for 4, that's pretty much what we deserve.

Hey I thought good things come to those who weight?  Kinda why I keep eating. 

I like the fact that he's taken OL in the fifth round two years in a row. That's my preferred way to build an OL, to develop them rather than draft them high or pay huge premiums in free agency. But when Brick retired, he was quick to acquire Clady - potentially a big upgrade. Because while it's smart to develop inexpensive homegrown talent, you can't put all your eggs in one basket. Same on the DL. Leonard Williams fell into their laps, but in the 7th round they took Deon Simon, who's getting very good reviews early this year. But same thing, they lose Snacks in free agency, and pick up Steve McLendon - who is almost certainly not an upgrade, but they have more than one player in the pipeline to maintain a dominant DL. 

You can nitpick a couple contracts and his comp pick management, but overall there's not a ton to complain about. 

For those who feel it's all about the QB, if he's hit on either Petty or Hackenberg, he wins! If not, if the rest of the team is showing real improvement, I think the fact that those two QBs were selected in the 4th and 2nd rounds gives him the leeway to select one in the first before the torches and pitchforks come out. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So the end of 2017-18 is the end of next season. So I agree with you. But I don't think that nec. translates to Hack being a long term project?

You're going to hear from coaching and Jets brass that he needs to work on some things, he needs to develop, he will sit this year and learn (which he will and he should). But unless Geno has a great season, resigns, and solidifies himself as a starter (or the Jets find a legit starter elsewhere)- Hack will have a legitimate shot to start next year. To me, that is not a long term project. That's pretty standard sitting a rookie QB for one season stuff. And I think Mac and the Jets coaching staff believe Hack will be ready next year to take that leap.

Mentally, I think he is probably pretty close already- and that is the key. That's the edge he has over guys like Geno and Petty. 

Regardless of his overthows in practice and 'looking like a rookie' in camp, if he has a good pre-season and shows continual improvement throughout the year (which would not be that surprising), he will be positioned to competent for the starting job next year. And (for better or worse) Mac will want to see   

Archived