Fitzpatrick supporters, Geno supporters, come forth

jett

Here's why signing Fitz is actually almost necessary.  It's become very evident that Fitz if signed will be under the terms of a 1 year deal. Whether that would be an actual 1 year deal or 2 year contract with only one year guaranteed, it's pretty much a one year go. But that doesn't mean he has to be the starting qb the whole season. 

If he plays well then great we have a winning team. If not Geno comes in and Geno supporters  get their wish. If Fitz gets  hurt Geno comes through and not Petty/Hack which is even better. 

This is all obvious, but i feel like with the war between the two sides, nothing really is set in stone and with wilk signed there's no negative in bringing back Fitz. I know some of you will say if Fitz comes back and plays well then we will never know what Geno could have been with this offense. Well if Fitz plays well then I don't care because that means we're winning. Idc whose our qb as long as we're winning. 

4 minutes ago, jett said:

Here's why signing Fitz is actually almost necessary.  It's become very evident that Fitz if signed will be under the terms of a 1 year deal. Whether that would be an actual 1 year deal or 2 year contract with only one year guaranteed, it's pretty much a one year go. But that doesn't mean he has to be the starting qb the whole season. 

If he plays well then great we have a winning team. If not Geno comes in and Geno supporters  get their wish. If Fitz gets  hurt Geno comes through and not Petty/Hack which is even better. 

This is all obvious, but i feel like with the war between the two sides, nothing really is set in stone and with wilk signed there's no negative in bringing back Fitz. I know some of you will say if Fitz comes back and plays well then we will never know what Geno could have been with this offense. Well if Fitz plays well then I don't care because that means we're winning. Idc whose our qb as long as we're winning. 

厕所

1 hour ago, 鲍勃不是我的名字 said:

厕所

I kinda have to agree that it was a $h!t post and rather redundant of ALL the other Fitz/Geno threads already posted a billion times. 

But no need for THAT TYPE of graphically vulgar Mandarin profanity. 

I am actually of the First book of Pennington-ology spanning 2000-2004. :) That short-lived savior was NEVER the same after the shoulder surgery. 

2 hours ago, jett said:

Lol.. I have yet to meet " die hard geno smith fans " just because half of jet fans don't worship Ryan Fitzpatrick, and/or are not racist doesn't mean we are "geno smith die Harders." Some of us just think it's funny how a average journeyman is acting like a diva who deserves a big payday.. In reality he should have kissed the feet of ik  enemkpali otherwise he probably is fighting for a 3rd string position somewhere.. Any qb would put up the numbers he did with Marshall/decker, and a good OC who protects qbs weaknesses.. Geno stepped in one game rusty and put up decent numbers.. Bowles and mac are much smarter than Ryan Fitzpatrick fans, why they aren't chasing after a weak arm journeyman..

I don't think petty is ready to step into the #2.. Which is why the jets are Still going to give a good effort to bring fitz back.. You need two decent qbs in the nfl..

2 hours ago, jett said:

Um, no it's not obvious. We don't have unlimited cap. With Mo's deal, we currently stand around ZERO cap space for 2017 and that's without Fitz. We have about 8mil of space right now n need to sign a punter n Lee, which will leave us like $4 mil, most of which will be needed for in season moves due to injuries etc. if we sign Fitz, we would have to move a ton of space towards 2017 (where we already have zero cap if not over the cap due to rookie signings) and beyond. 

Fitz makes no sense. He doesn't offer the upside required to put the team in yet another cap hell season. 

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol.. I have yet to meet " die hard geno smith fans " just because half of jet fans don't worship Ryan Fitzpatrick, and/or are not racist doesn't mean we are "geno smith die Harders." Some of us just think it's funny how a average journeyman is acting like a diva who deserves a big payday.. In reality he should have kissed the feet of ik  enemkpali otherwise he probably is fighting for a 3rd string position somewhere.. Any qb would put up the numbers he did with Marshall/decker, and a good OC who protects qbs weaknesses.. Geno stepped in one game rusty and put up decent numbers.. Bowles and mac are much smarter than Ryan Fitzpatrick fans, why they aren't chasing after a weak arm journeyman..

I don't think petty is ready to step into the #2.. Which is why the jets are Still going to give a good effort to bring fitz back.. You need two decent qbs in the nfl..

This is what you guys don't get. Geno should have stood up to IK. Can't get suckerpunched if your standing up looking someone in the eye.

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

Um, no it's not obvious. We don't have unlimited cap. With Mo's deal, we currently stand around ZERO cap space for 2017 and that's without Fitz. We have about 8mil of space right now n need to sign a punter n Lee, which will leave us like $4 mil, most of which will be needed for in season moves due to injuries etc. if we sign Fitz, we would have to move a ton of space towards 2017 (where we already have zero cap if not over the cap due to rookie signings) and beyond. 

Fitz makes no sense. He doesn't offer the upside required to put the team in yet another cap hell season. 

We'll have more than zero cap space for 17' buddy.

To Geno's credit IMHO, this is year 4 for him. The first 2 yrs under foot fetish Rex's coaching and his staff was a shamble. We have a new Head coach, new OC and new QB coach. Gailys offence is simplified and tailored to what he has to work with. Patullo and Gaily must have a good level of confidence in him considering they were going to start him last year. I believe Geno has matured and worked hard to be the starter. He has weapons he didn't have the first 2 years he played. We've seen shades of greatness with Geno. Most QB's starting in the NFL struggle including the likes of Manning, Elway, etc. He deserves his shot under a good coaching staff and an excellent receiver and backfield host. Fitz can't throw the ball with any accuracy or zip past 25 yds. Let's face it he just threw the ball up there and Marshall went in got it. How many in stride long balls did you see Fitz throw last year? The short stuff should be easy for Geno this year and he does have a rocket arm. ?? for Geno!!

25 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

To Geno's credit IMHO, this is year 4 for him. The first 2 yrs under foot fetish Rex's coaching and his staff was a shamble. We have a new Head coach, new OC and new QB coach.

That coaching staff saw him all season (practice matters, contrary to popular opinion), only used him 1 game when Fitz got hurt, and proceeded to rush Fitz back to the field.  Last year was as much "his shot" as any, and he failed.  This year won't magically be different.  Either Fitz signs or he doesn't.  But the coaching staff has shown no desire to start Geno if they can avoid it.  Any argument against this is just wishful thinking. 

There is definitely a downside to signing Fitz...and that is if they have to restructure some guys deals in a way that they would otherwise NOT do (i.e. Push cap money to future years when you have questions as to whether this is wise) to Fitz's contract. At that point you have to ask, is it worth it to do that for Fitz for one year?

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That coaching staff saw him all season, only used him 1 game when Fitz got hurt, and proceeded to rush Fitz back to the field.  Last year was as much "his shot" as any, and he failed.  This year won't magically be different.  Either Fitz signs or he doesn't.  But the coaching staff has shown no desire to start Geno if they can avoid it.  Any argument against this is just wishful thinking. 

Fitz had good chemistry with the team last year. I would agree and Geno came in pretty much cold training. If the coaching staff was hot for Fitz and they thought he was that vital to the team, let's face it, he would have been signed already.

Just now, MaxAF said:

Fitz had good chemistry with the team last year. I would agree and Geno came in pretty much cold training. If the coaching staff was hot for Fitz and they thought he was that vital to the team, let's face it, he would have been signed already.

Would he?  Even after signing Wilkerson they still don't have enough cap space to sign him to the deal still on the table.  That's not to say the money won't be there, as I think it will, but all that tells me is there's no rush.  Fitz is a veteran and knows Chan Gailey's system very well.  He doesn't have to be here right now. 

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

They were hot for Fitz because he was winning games. If he was losing games they would have started Geno. It was a no-brainer. And it's a no-brainer this season too. You go with what is successful until it isn't successful. 

There's been this theory floating along out there that the FO was going to have to see what happened with Wilkerson before they dealt with Fitzpatrick's situation.  As I understood it the thinking was that until they knew one way or the other what was going to happen with Wilk, they would have a more limited flexibility to deal with Fitz.  With the deal they did it was reported this has freed up significant cap space, so that in turn could mean under this theory that they will now be able to come up with a more flexible deal that Fitz could accept.

I hope so.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

WILL THIS NEVER END

Couple of days, yes.

Then the "XXX should start, not XXX" and "XXX didn't get a fair chance to win the job over XXX" threads will begin.

Shortly after that, the "XXX is playing poorly, we should play XXX" and "Here is why advanced stats say XXX is good/sh*t" and "It's not XXX's fault because..." threads will begin.

Then, later, the "XXX should be our QB in 2017" and "Draft XXX QB, He's Legit Franachise QB" threads will start.

Rinse, repeat.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

They were hot for Fitz because he was winning games. If he was losing games they would have started Geno. It was a no-brainer. And it's a no-brainer this season too. You go with what is successful until it isn't successful. 

Good point but Fitz blew up the last game of the season and kept us out of the playoffs. I'm Okwith bring him back but If Fitz thinks he's worth 16 mil he's dreaming. He's just not that good.

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

There's been this theory floating along out there that the FO was going to have to see what happened with Wilkerson before they dealt with Fitzpatrick's situation.  As I understood it the thinking was that until they knew one way or the other what was going to happen with Wilk, they would have a more limited flexibility to deal with Fitz.  With the deal they did it was reported this has freed up significant cap space, so that in turn could mean under this theory that they will now be able to come up with a more flexible deal that Fitz could accept.

I hope so.

Could be. Hard to know what they're thinking without being in the room. One way of looking at it is it cleared up a little space this year to help sign Fitzpatrick. Another way of looking at it is that, since the bulk of the Fitz money would have to come from 2017, that a future-robbing Fitz deal would only be offered if Mo was not retained, since Mo's deal adds so much to 2017 as it is.

I tend to think the former, otherwise we'd find out by today that Fitz's contract offer has been rescinded; either in favor of starting Geno or someone else they make a trade to acquire (e.g. Glennon, etc.). 

5 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Good point but Fitz blew up the last game of the season and kept us out of the playoffs. I'm Okwith bring him back but If Fitz thinks he's worth 16 mil he's dreaming. He's just not that good.

He didn't blow it up. That game was not personally just on him. There were many mistakes by players that could have meant the difference in winning and losing that game. And we were in it until the end. I'm tired of hearing people blame one player for that game. The team was flat after winning five in a row. 

9 hours ago, jett said:

Your post is terrible. It would be shocking for Fitz to be signed one a one year deal as with our cap situation, a one year deal would be even more destructive in terms of future cap and loss of depth this year than a 3 year deal which is also destructive.

Second, NO ONE knows for a fact that Fitz will perform better than Geno. Up until last year, Fitz was pretty lousy and then has one good year, and year a fourth year player with dramatically better skill in almost every area cannot also have a really good year with the same weapons and situation?

The best thing for the Jets to do is to see what Geno can do and provide clarity to the QB situation. Start Fitz, and not only is he likely to lay a pterodactyl egg this season, we go into next season with even less clarity at the QB position than last year.

Geno starting is the best option for the Jets. 

14 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I hope so.

Well nothing's happened yet but looks like Mac can keep secrets when he wants to. I guess it will take a few days for their money people to figure things out in terms of cap space, etc if they want to sign Fitz. And there would be reconstructing of other players contracts, etc. Although you'd think some of these things would be in place after all of these months. So estimates of July 27-30 could be accurate. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He didn't blow it up. That game was not personally just on him. There were many mistakes by players that could have meant the difference in winning and losing that game. And we were in it until the end. I'm tired of hearing people blame one player for that game. The team was flat after winning five in a row. 

Agreed they were flat,  but the 3 INT's didn't help. Guess I'm just not a big Fitz supporter. If he does come back, I hope he's as good as he was last year. Just want to win and see than in the playoffs 

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be. Hard to know what they're thinking without being in the room. One way of looking at it is it cleared up a little space this year to help sign Fitzpatrick. Another way of looking at it is that, since the bulk of the Fitz money would have to come from 2017, that a future-robbing Fitz deal would only be offered if Mo was not retained, since Mo's deal adds so much to 2017 as it is.

I tend to think the former, otherwise we'd find out by today that Fitz's contract offer has been rescinded; either in favor of starting Geno or someone else they make a trade to acquire (e.g. Glennon, etc.). 

Yes, good point about the Jets still leaving that offer on the table in light of your second possible scenario. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

When you throw an int from 15 when all u need is a FG to take the lead against a team that couldn't score on our D, it's on you. Then you follow that up with 2 more ints and it really doesn't matter if a 6th string WR dropped a 40 yard bomb after getting knocked. 

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

I hope so.

This is far from the truth. As it stands, we are at zero cap space for 2017 and about 8 mil for 2016. We still have to sign a punter n Lee. We also need $3-4 mil for in season pickups, so we essentially have zero space left for 2016 as well. Any restructures would push $ back towards 2017 n beyond n we don't even have space to sign the rookies in 17 as right now. So Mo deal essentially killed it for Fitz. 

Archived