Way Too Early 53 + 8

Doggin94it

QB (3) (Petty to IR with phantom injury)

1. Fitz
  2. Geno
  3. Hackenberg

RB (4)

1. Forte
  2. Powell
  3. Robinson
  4. Romar Morris (calling this shot right now - has special teams versatility, fits as a pass catcher and runner out of the backfield. With Pierce suspended the first two games, Morris gets this slot - and may keep it)

FB (0) (Just putting this here to note: yes, Bohannon gets cut. He's in the last year of his contract, doesn't bring all that much added value to the table (they'll use Enunwa, Sudfeld @Hback when they want a blocking back), and cutting him in favor of a UDFA like Morris saves the team $240K in cap room.  He'll be a tough cut, but I don't think he makes this team).

WR (6) (Tough competition here, and Kenbrell Thompkins, Kyle Williams, Robby Anderson, and Jeremy Ross are the losers.  Cutting Thompkins and Ross for Marshall and Peake saves roughly 1.6M against the cap, and the Jets are in no position to turn that savings down.  Hopefully they can flip Thompkins to a receiver needy team for a late round pick, because his 1.617M cap hit is impossible to justify for a No. 5 WR at best).

1. B. Marshall
  2. Decker
  3. Smith
  4. Enunwa
  5. J. Marshall
  6. C. Peake

TE (3)

1. Jace Amaro
  2. Zach Sudfeld
  3. Kellen Davis/Wes Saxton (I'm really hoping they cut Davis for Saxton, but I doubt it happens)

OL (9)

1. Clady
  2. Carpenter
  3. Mangold
  4. Winters
  5. Shell (no, I don't think he starts. But he's the T with the most job security)
  6. Giacomini/Qvale (I think one and only one of these two make the team. If Qvale can't displace Breno yet, then it's time to cut bait, and Breno isn't being kept as a backup)
  7. Ijalana
  8. Harrison
  9. Johnson/Dozier (one of these two will be Mangold's backup and a swing guard. Dozier was drafted as a project but has now had two years of NFL coaching. Again, time to fish or cut bait)

DL (5.5) (the Jets get an extra roster spot with Sheldon suspended for week 1. Odds are they don't use it to keep an extra DL for the one game, especially with Catapano's flexibility)

1. Wilkerson
  2. Williams
  3. McClendon
  4. Ja. Jenkins
  5. Simon

LB (9)

1. Mauldin
  2. Harris
  3. Henderson
  4. Jo. Jenkins
  5. Lee
  6. Carter
  7. Catapano
  8. T. Jones
  9. Deion Barnes

DB (11)

1. Revis
  2. Williams
  3. Skrine
  4. Milliner
  5. Burris
  6. McDougle
  7. Pryor
  8. Gilchrist
  9. Bailey
  10. Martin
  11. Middleton

ST (3)

1. Folk
  2. Edwards
  3. Purdum

Practice Squad (8)

1. Robby Anderson
  2. Wes Saxton
  3. Jason Vander Laan
  4. Julien Howsare
  5. Freddie Bishop
  6. Rontez Miles
  7. Ross Martin
  8. Kyle Friend

What I would like to see is some of the younger OLmen make this team.Qvale, Watts Shell and Harrison to name a few . Would also like to see a fair competition with the Kickers and the kid gets the Job if he can match folk saving us a few pennies .

16 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I can't see him being cut, all you hear about how he is the vocal leader of the line. He brings the intensity and attitude.

he saves the Jets 5mil if he's not on the opening day roster I believe   . In my opinion, he and Folk better hope their competition sucks .

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

What I would like to see is some of the younger OLmen make this team.Qvale, Watts Shell and Harrison to name a few . Would also like to see a fair competition with the Kickers and the kid gets the Job if he can match folk saving us a few pennies .

Why would anyone neg rep this? 

I hope the Jets have the balls to pull the mystery injury trick with Bryce Petty. If they cut him, and someone else claims him, they're looking at one QB being under contract next year: Christian Hackenberg. 

I resoundingly applaud the removal of the FB position. Matt Snell and John Riggins are two of my all time favorite Jets, but the position has been evolved out of the modern NFL. Base offenses now are three WR sets. If you want to run a tradition set, depending on the circumstances you can put a second RB back there, a TE, or Sheldon "The Refrigerator" Richardson. 

I think Trevor Reilly makes the team ahead of Taiwan Jones. 

Ok. So a couple of things. Why are people so concerned with pinching pennies at this point in the off-season? That should not play a role in whether a depth guy getting paid 1-2 mil max gets cut, not at this point. If we are over the cap, even after slimming down to 53, which the Jets won't be, ONE contract re-structure will fix that.

I also disagree with a few of the roster moves here, some of which have been mentioned already. Although, I will say putting Petty on phantom IR is a pretty sneaky move that I didn't even think of.  

QB (3) (Petty to IR with phantom injury) This sounds great, sign me up. 

1. Fitz
  2. Geno
  3. Hackenberg

RB (4)

1. Forte
  2. Powell
  3. Robinson
  4. Romar Morris (calling this shot right now - has special teams versatility, fits as a pass catcher and runner out of the backfield. With Pierce suspended the first two games, Morris gets this slot - and may keep it) I disagree, I think if Robinson is fully healthy, they keep 3 RBs and keep Bohannon. 

FB (0) (Just putting this here to note: yes, Bohannon gets cut. He's in the last year of his contract, doesn't bring all that much added value to the table (they'll use Enunwa, Sudfeld @Hback when they want a blocking back), and cutting him in favor of a UDFA like Morris saves the team $240K in cap room.  He'll be a tough cut, but I don't think he makes this team). As I mentioned above, I think Bohannon stays. He actually has a unique skill set as a blocker that Enunwa, Sudfeld or anyone else can't really match. 

WR (6) (Tough competition here, and Kenbrell Thompkins, Kyle Williams, Robby Anderson, and Jeremy Ross are the losers.  Cutting Thompkins and Ross for Marshall and Peake saves roughly 1.6M against the cap, and the Jets are in no position to turn that savings down.  Hopefully they can flip Thompkins to a receiver needy team for a late round pick, because his 1.617M cap hit is impossible to justify for a No. 5 WR at best). For the most part, I agree, except I think Smith is placed on IR, opening up a spot for Thompkins, the vet of the remaining group. I don;t see anyone trading anything for Thompkins. This also assumes Marshall finds a home as a returner. Otherwise, if Marshall is catching everything thrown his way, Thompkins struggles and Ross or Worthy show they can be return guys, all of a sudden Thompkins gets bumped for Ross or Worthy....make sense? Should be an interesting competition to watch.     

1. B. Marshall
  2. Decker
  3. Smith- (IR) Thompkins replaces him
  4. Enunwa
  5. J. Marshall
  6. C. Peake

TE (3)

1. Jace Amaro
  2. Zach Sudfeld
  3. Kellen Davis/Wes Saxton (I'm really hoping they cut Davis for Saxton, but I doubt it happens) Def. gonna be Davis. He is the blocking TE and will be utilized primarily as such. 

OL (9)

1. Clady
  2. Carpenter
  3. Mangold
  4. Winters
  5. Shell (no, I don't think he starts. But he's the T with the most job security)
  6. Giacomini/Qvale (I think one and only one of these two make the team. If Qvale can't displace Breno yet, then it's time to cut bait, and Breno isn't being kept as a backup). I disagree with this. I think Qvale sticks. I don't really see why he has a shorter leash to be a backup than any of the other backup tackles. He's a 'project' thats only been in the league 3yrs any ha yet to be given a chance to start. Why wouldn't the Jets cut bait on Ijalana and his creaky knees instead- a guy who has been in the league 6 years and not shown much? Gio stays simply b/c he is the best option. If Qvale takes the starting job from him he may get cut as a cap casualty. Otherwise, we would be the best backup option. 
  7. Ijalana- CUT
  8. Harrison
  9. Johnson/Dozier (one of these two will be Mangold's backup and a swing guard. Dozier was drafted as a project but has now had two years of NFL coaching. Again, time to fish or cut bait) My bet is on Johnson getting cut. 

DL (5.5) (the Jets get an extra roster spot with Sheldon suspended for week 1. Odds are they don't use it to keep an extra DL for the one game, especially with Catapano's flexibility) Simon's on the bubble, but I just don't know enough about the rookie backups fighting for that spot to make a judgement call. So for now, Simon sticks. He's actually the only true NT of the group. 

1. Wilkerson
  2. Williams
  3. McClendon
  4. Ja. Jenkins
  5. Simon

LB (9) IMO- Catapano, Reilly, T.Jones, Barnes, and Bishop are all on the bubble. Of the group, I think Barnes gets a spot as the backup ILB/Thumper. I think Catapano has the edge b/c of his versatility but it all depends on how he bounces back from injury. I think T.Jones is out as he has not shown enough. And if Bishop can show that he is an effective pass rusher, he could very well take away Reilly's spot. Should be another great competition to watch. I would not overlook Bishop. And Reilly has already shown he is productive on special teams as well. I'm gonna bet on those guys to make the roster. The other reasoning is that you look at this list and there are only 2 OLBs (Mauldin, Jenkins). Jets need depth at OLB- Reilly and Bishop will bring that (and I do realize that guys can play multiple positions).   

1. Mauldin
  2. Harris
  3. Henderson
  4. Jo. Jenkins
  5. Lee
  6. Carter
  7. Catapano- CUT for Reilly 
  8. T. Jones- CUT for Bishop
  9. Deion Barnes

DB (11)

Most interesting battle here will be bet. Rontez Miles and the rook Middleton, who's doing well in camp. Also, can McDougle fend off Morris and the others? So far he's been banged up. But I agree with this list.   

1. Revis
  2. Williams
  3. Skrine
  4. Milliner
  5. Burris
  6. McDougle
  7. Pryor
  8. Gilchrist
  9. Bailey
  10. Martin
  11. Middleton

ST (3)

1. Folk
  2. Edwards
  3. Purdum

Some great competitions. Nice list! 

On 7/31/2016 at 2:57 PM, Doggin94it said:

Giacomini/Qvale (I think one and only one of these two make the team. If Qvale can't displace Breno yet, then it's time to cut bait, and Breno isn't being kept as a backup)

This is illogical.

If these 2 are the top two options we have for RT, and if Breno narrowly beats out Qvale, you don't just cut bait on Qvale. He's still the 2nd best option you have for that position and cheap to keep.

This is illogical.

If these 2 are the top two options we have for RT, and if Breno narrowly beats out Qvale, you don't just cut bait on Qvale. He's still the 2nd best option you have for that position and cheap to keep.

I don't think so. Qvale isn't a swing tackle, and they really like Shell, so he'd be the 5th OT (after the starters, Ijalana, and Shell) on the squad. I don't think it's likely they keep 5, do you?

If it's actually close, they cut Breno. If not, they cut Qvale. That's how I see it

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I don't think so. Qvale isn't a swing tackle, and they really like Shell, so he'd be the 5th OT (after the starters, Ijalana, and Shell) on the squad. I don't think it's likely they keep 5, do you?

If it's actually close, they cut Breno. If not, they cut Qvale. That's how I see it

Not worth arguing about, I just don't see the logic in cutting 1 of the best 2 RT options we have, in favor of keeping someone he's better than.

I think the reality is that if Qvale and Breno are close, like 1a/1b, and Qvale is 1b by a narrow margin... and maybe Shell is 2 by a narrow margin as well, then you dump Breno because of his salary. So it becomes a salary cut, not a performance cut.

In your original post that I replied to, you talked about cutting Qvale if he can't beat Breno - but that suggests he's still our 2nd best RT, and maybe 3rd best OT overall. Which makes no sense to cut.

Either way, let's hope someone steps up and plays that position better than last year.

On 7/31/2016 at 7:45 PM, Joe Jets fan said:

Nice job, three things. 

Smith will be put on IR with option to return 

Forte likes having a FB 

Bishop will never make it to the PS, bunch of teams tried to sign him when we did  I think he makes the 53   

Won't they just keep him on the PUP rather then IR him?

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

PUP is only for preseason I think, IR is for when season starts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unable_to_perform#Regular-season_PUP

Preseason PUP and Regular Season PUP are different... Most often players who are going to be out longer then 6 weeks to start the season are put on PUP meaning they can't play until week 6 but have to be activated by week 12 or placed on IR.

9 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Either way, you cut Ijalana, not Qvale. He's a six year vet who never developed into a starter and he has had 2 ACL tears.

Qvale was a project the Jets really liked and hes been in the league only 2 years. This is the time when the Jets want to see what they have in him. He's getting first team reps right now (since Breno is hurt) and not falling flat on his face, odds are he's not going to be cut. He just has to hold his own to get a roster spot, and if he excels, he may even take the starting spot from Breno- although I doubt that will happen.

Archived