Possible Geno Smith VS Bryce Petty battle for the #2 job.

Lupz27

8 hours ago, ljr said:

You also believe we will carry 4 QB's this season then, correct?

It's possible. But I think they will either IR or PS Petty. It really depends on their evaluation of him. IMO some of the fans on this board are attracted to him because of the arm: he has a good fastball. But can he efficiently run the offense. So far I don't see it on a consistent level. I could see it more coming from Geno than Petty. But there are 3 more exhibition games to go. As for trading Geno it's a possibility but only if Petty or Hack is capable of backing up Fitz. I'd really like to see Hack play during pre-season. Bowles said he though it wouldn't be fair to play him last week because he didn't have enough reps in practice. You'd think he's a guy they'd be grooming and trying to develop right now. Esp if he's going to start next year. Because they only gave Fitz a year and he can walk in 2017. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ljr said:

You also believe we will carry 4 QB's this season then, correct?

It's possible. But I think they will either IR or PS Petty. It really depends on their evaluation of him. IMO some of the fans on this board are attracted to him because of the arm: he has a good fastball. But can he efficiently run the offense. So far I don't see it on a consistent level. I could see it more coming from Geno than Petty. But there are 3 more exhibition games to go. As for trading Geno it's a possibility but only if Petty or Hack is capable of backing up Fitz. I'd really like to see Hack play during pre-season. Bowles said he thought it wouldn't be fair to play him last week because he didn't have enough reps in practice. You'd think he's a guy they'd be grooming and trying to develop right now.And other rookie Qbs played in their exhibition games. Esp if he's going to start next year. Because they only gave Fitz a year and he can walk in 2017. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's possible. But I think they will either IR or PS Petty. It really depends on their evaluation of him. IMO some of the fans on this board are attracted to him because of the arm: he has a good fastball. But can he efficiently run the offense. So far I don't see it on a consistent level. I could see it more coming from Geno than Petty. But there are 3 more exhibition games to go. As for trading Geno it's a possibility but only if Petty or Hack is capable of backing up Fitz. I'd really like to see Hack play during pre-season. Bowles said he though it wouldn't be fair to play him last week because he didn't have enough reps in practice. You'd think he's a guy they'd be grooming and trying to develop right now. Esp if he's going to start next year. Because they only gave Fitz a year and he can walk in 2017. 

Bowles does trust Petty to be the #2 right now.  

4 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Bowles does trust Petty to be the #2 right now.  

I disagree with that but I don't know what he's thinking. If they feel that right now he's capable of winning games in the NFL then that's fine with me. He's also said that Geno is light years ahead of last year. Based on what I saw on Thursday Geno is ahead of him. And has a firmer grasp of the offense. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I disagree with that but I don't know what he's thinking. If they feel that right now he's capable of winning games in the NFL then that's fine with me. He's also said that Geno is light years ahead of last year. Based on what I saw on Thursday Geno is ahead of him. And has a firmer grasp of the offense. 

They, Macc and Bowles, very easily could have signed a vet last year to back up Fitz for the games that Geno was out with the Jaw injury.  They trusted that Petty could be the back up then.  They obviously still believe it since Petty has not done anything that would change there minds.

6 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

They, Macc and Bowles, very easily could have signed a vet last year to back up Fitz for the games that Geno was out with the Jaw injury.  They trusted that Petty could be the back up then.  They obviously still believe it since Petty has not done anything that would change there minds.

That was really a surprise to me last year.when they went with Petty as the backup. But as soon as Geno returned they went with Geno as the backup. And then  they drafted Hack. So maybe they don't think he's in their future plans. But we'll see. To me he's getting playing time because he's 3 on their depth chart and they want to see what he can do in training camp before making a final decision on him. But to my way of thinking Hack is the guy who should be getting reps and playing time. 

I honestly think the Jets entered training camp trying to showcase Geno to trade him. The reality is now its starting to get to the time when you need to just get ready for the season. Geno will be gone after the Giants game at the latest, one way or another, imho.

I've been somewhat of a supporter of Geno. Physically and as far as his arm goes he will probably be a QB somewhere in the NFL as a #2 or maybe even a starter. As for the Jets I don't see him being the guy and if Petty continues to improve he may be leaving sooner rather than later. I noticed on the side lines he seems to be a loner. Doesn't mix well with his teammates or the other QBs. Theres a chip on his shoulder and I don't think that will change. He's just not gonna ever fit in the Jets system IMHO. The fan base just has no confidence in him and that won't sell tickets. And I don't think he even wants to be in NY. Petty looked good and Hack needs to continue to develop. 4QBs may hinder that. My prediction is he will be gone before the end of the season maybe sooner if a team shows interest in him.

I loved the Petty pick last year and am really rooting for him. He's a big arm, tough quarterback who is easy to root for. In the end, if Petty and Hack, whichever way become a starter and back up then we struck gold. 

Geno's future is not here. Fitz will probably start for us next year and Geno will be gone. 2018 Hack and Petty can fight for the starting spot

This is a talented Jets team. This is good that there is competition at the QB position. If Petty does well with the two's this week he may have a shot as the backup. As for Geno, I think that he is trade bait. He does not have a future here barring injury to Fitz in game 3.

Easy to see that Geno never went to charm school

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What if Geno or Petty outplay Fitzpatrick in pre-season. 

One game down and it hasn't happened.  We'll see what the future brings.

Personally, I'd love to see Petty blow Geno's doors off, so we could cut Geno, and move on with Fitz (the now, the mentor) and Petty & Hack (the young, the future).

Geno Smith has no future in NY, and IMO has no future in the NFL beyond being a #2 or #3 somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One game down and it hasn't happened.  We'll see what the future brings.

Personally, I'd love to see Petty blow Geno's doors off, so we could cut Geno, and move on with Fitz (the now, the mentor) and Petty & Hack (the young, the future).

Geno Smith has no future in NY, and IMO has no future in the NFL beyond being a #2 or #3 somewhere else.

If thats the case then yes you are correct then Jets fans can move the hate to the next player up. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If thats the case then yes you are correct then Jets fans can move the hate to the next player up. 

No hate here, just observation and analytical opinion.  Trying to make it "hate" is just more of the same deflecting tactics used to prop up poor players.

Is it "hate" when I say Fitz is limited, has a weak arm, and has never made the playoffs?

Is it hate when we show Geno was the worst QB in the NFL his first two years?

Is it hate to say Petty needs time and has to show real development this preseason to warrant giving it to him?

Is it hate to say Hack looks and sounds like a major long-term project, a guy who'll need years (at least 2) before he's ready to be looked at as a possible starter?

Nope.  Just calling it as I see it, and how the production warrants it.

Don't know any of these guys, never will.  All I know is I want what I think is best for my team, so we can win a title.  Root the laundry.  Whomever can wear that laundry and bring us a title, or give us progress towards it, is my guy.

22 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

When that same list has Nick Foles and Josh McCown as top 3 in the league, yes! 

Let me go mind my business again. lol. 

Lol ... Unable to accept negative truths about Geno without attempted deflection

14 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Thats fine and well.  I think Bowles wants Petty to show him he is good enough to be #2 even if it means he isn't as good as Geno, but good enough for him to trust him with the back up job because Bowles does not think highly of Geno, again this is the opinion I have formed from watching what has transpired since last offseason, I get that you disagree with this point, and you have every right to disagree because what I am stating is just an opinion I have formed after looking back at every turn since Bowles got here.

This is what I think is happening. I don't necessarily think that Bowles has a low opinion of Geno, but he can see his demeanor, and that of his teammates. He knows what went down with the punch last year. Geno is trying to play the good soldier, but I'm sure he wants out, too. Asking to be cut or traded would just bring more wrath of fans down upon him. He's in a no win situation. 

I think it's more of an organizational decision than just on Bowles, too. I'm sure they'd rather not carry four QBs, and it's Petty. not Geno, who has a potential future beyond this year with this team. I think Petty still has a gap to close between the two players, but that the team will be giving him every opportunity to do exactly that. 

2 minutes ago, ljr said:

Lol ... Unable to accept negative truths about Geno without attempted deflection

We live in world where people, in full seriousness, deny the holocaust ever happened.

We live in a world where people, in full seriousness, deny that we could effect our climate with pollutants.

Why should we expect that people wouldn't also deny the reality in front of them over a QB's poor performance?

11 minutes ago, slats said:

This is what I think is happening. I don't necessarily think that Bowles has a low opinion of Geno, but he can see his demeanor, and that of his teammates. He knows what went down with the punch last year. Geno is trying to play the good soldier, but I'm sure he wants out, too. Asking to be cut or traded would just bring more wrath of fans down upon him. He's in a no win situation. 

I think it's more of an organizational decision than just on Bowles, too. I'm sure they'd rather not carry four QBs, and it's Petty. not Geno, who has a potential future beyond this year with this team. I think Petty still has a gap to close between the two players, but that the team will be giving him every opportunity to do exactly that. 

i start with the premise that geno will not be on the team next season, period.  given this, i think he's cut as soon as mccags/bowles think petty is at least as good as geno.  thus i think they start out keeping all 4 qbs, but wouldn't be surprised if they release geno during the season when injuries happen and they need another position.  geno has zero trade value, he mostly stunk when he played, came from a pop gun college offense and has a bad rep in the league.  he's only there b/c petty probably needs another year.

Wow, one fans speculation and crystal ball reading turns onto over 50 post. As Shakespeare said "much to do about nothing".

The hate for Geno is just beyond belief, guys are now writing crap in hopes of willing him cut.

To the point that they are telling you what is going on in the locker room, like they would actually know something.

When Petty is sent to the PS or traded and Geno locks up the backup role, you will start hearing from the same group how Hack is looking great in practice and Geno might be let go to free up a needed roster spot.

Please people give it a rest, Geno will be the backup this year, get use to it. For those who hate him that much, pray Fitz stays healthy.

Just now, fltflo said:

When Petty is sent to the PS or traded and Geno locks up the backup role, you will start hearing from the same group how Hack is looking great in practice and Geno might be let go to free up a needed roster spot.

There is no chance this could happen.

If Petty was sent to the P.S., why would the team need to open a roster spot for a "playing well in practice" Hackenberg?  He'd already be on the roster.

And if Petty is on the P.S., and isn't taken (I don't think he would be unless he really lit it up in Preseason), his playing well in practice is great, but irrelevant from a roster standpoint.  

Just now, fltflo said:

Please people give it a rest, Geno will be the backup this year, get use to it. For those who hate him that much, pray Fitz stays healthy.

Agreed, Geno is the backup, and should be all year long.  

I prefer he not be, because I'd rather give reps to Petty and Hack who may have futures here, but Geno absolutely will be the #2.  

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no chance this could happen.

If Petty was sent to the P.S., why would the team need to open a roster spot for a "playing well in practice" Hackenberg?  He'd already be on the roster.

And if Petty is on the P.S., and isn't taken (I don't think he would be unless he really lit it up in Preseason), his playing well in practice is great, but irrelevant from a roster standpoint.  

Agreed, Geno is the backup, and should be all year long.  

I prefer he not be, because I'd rather give reps to Petty and Hack who may have futures here, but Geno absolutely will be the #2.  

just because geno may start out as the #2, doesn't mean he has to be all year.  i think it's possible petty overtakes him, not probable, but possible.  it's not advantageous to the team to keep all 4 all season, especially if they're in playoff contention and could really use the roster spot for another position.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We live in world where people, in full seriousness, deny the holocaust ever happened.

We live in a world where people, in full seriousness, deny that we could effect our climate with pollutants.

Why should we expect that people wouldn't also deny the reality in front of them over a QB's poor performance?

Kind of like when you go on and on about how the "win-now" jets are a playoff team, and now that Fitzpatrick is back he shouldn't be expected to make the playoffs

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i start with the premise that geno will not be on the team next season, period.  given this, i think he's cut as soon as mccags/bowles think petty is at least as good as geno.  thus i think they start out keeping all 4 qbs, but wouldn't be surprised if they release geno during the season when injuries happen and they need another position.  geno has zero trade value, he mostly stunk when he played, came from a pop gun college offense and has a bad rep in the league.  he's only there b/c petty probably needs another year.

I could be wrong but Geno may have value next year in the Comp Picks if he rides out his contract and is signed to another team...is that true?

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I could be wrong but Geno may have value next year in the Comp Picks if he rides out his contract and is signed to another team...is that true?

IDK.  but i can't imagine that even if he does make another team's roster, that he's the starter.  he'll compete for a backup job anywhere he goes.

42 minutes ago, slats said:

I endorse this post !!!! :)

The organization is not dumb and they aren't trying to "stick it" to anyone.

They just have to make sure that the best players are on the field come game day and that is precisely what they are attempting to do. 

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

IDK.  but i can't imagine that even if he does make another team's roster, that he's the starter.  he'll compete for a backup job anywhere he goes.

Geno will probably be handed the #2 job wherever he winds up, and may even be able to find a place where he can compete for the starting job. I'd expect him to get a contract worthy of a potential comp pick. 

QBs are expensive.  If Geno signs with another team at the end of this year the Jets will get a draft pick.  Thus, the Jets will try and trade him to so someone so they can recover that draft pick.  If the Jets just get him, they get zippo,.

So do they keep a player like Jarvis Harrison on the roster and lose a draft pick?

12 hours ago, ljr said:

if Mac is able to make that more worth our longterm while , than say another team offering us a 2017 7th now for Geno, that could also sway him into keeping 4 QB's now & losing a borderline player elsewhere.

Petty is going to be on the roster unless he completely sh*ts the bed the rest of the way.   What's the point of drafting a 4th rd developmental QB from the Air Raid if you don't actually, you know, develop him?    

Let's say it comes down to keeping Geno, Marshall, or Peake for the last roster spot - who do you think they keep?   

My guess is that at this point Geno is done here one way or another.   There is a long preseason left and who knows what happens with injuries.   If anything happens to the top of the depth chart I think there is little chance that we keep 4 QB's.   If there are 0 injuries then there's a chance we keep 4 but not much of a chance.  As Gailey said, 4 QB's retards the development of Hack and Petty so what is really the point?   

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Geno will probably be handed the #2 job wherever he winds up, and may even be able to find a place where he can compete for the starting job. I'd expect him to get a contract worthy of a potential comp pick. 

i think you're overvaluing him.  most teams won't want him in their locker room.

Archived