Pierce to IR, Jets sign RB Antone Smith

JETSfaninNE

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get your point but I'll say it again.  There isn't video of Marshall doing anything wrong.  It didn't become a national story like Rice.  No matter what we believe happened with Marshall in the past there is a chance that it didn't happen like we assume.  There's a chance nothing happened.  Who knows for sure.  There is no question what happened with Rice.  We all saw it.  Started a huge shlt show that effected the players, the commission and the league.  Huge difference. 

obviously the video changed everything but the things Brandon has done have been far worse b/c he's a repeat offender. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

obviously the video changed everything but the things Brandon has done have been far worse b/c he's a repeat offender. 

All right, now you're just making it up.  You have not a single fact that says what he did was worse, or that he actually did anything more than once.  I get it, you're friends and think he's better than what's portrayed.  But dragging Marshall down with allegations doesn't change what we know far a fact that Rice did.  And everyone saw it, women, children, parents, etc. non football fans know Rice and hate him.  Different, face it

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

All right, now you're just making it up.  You have not a single fact that says what he did was worse, or that he actually did anything more than once.  I get it, you're friends and think he's better than what's portrayed.  But dragging Marshall down with allegations doesn't change what we know far a fact that Rice did.  And everyone saw it, women, children, parents, etc. non football fans know Rice and hate him.  Different, face it

other than the numerous times he was arrested for DV you are right.  I guess those aren't facts, I guess his long rap sheet is all made up.

I am not trying to drag Marshall down, I find it hypocritical for fans to say they would never want Rice but then cheer for Marshall.  it doesn't make sense to me.

32 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

other than the numerous times he was arrested for DV you are right.  I guess those aren't facts, I guess his long rap sheet is all made up.

I am not trying to drag Marshall down, I find it hypocritical for fans to say they would never want Rice but then cheer for Marshall.  it doesn't make sense to me.

If you're not dragging someone down why do you keep bringing it up?  And actually trying to claim he's worse?  

It's not hypocritical.  I know exactly what Rice did.  I only know what Marshall was accused, once, of doing.  I also know Marshall has an issue that he's treated.  Don't know why Rice did what he did.  Or if he's ever done it before.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If you're not dragging someone down why do you keep bringing it up?  And actually trying to claim he's worse?  

It's not hypocritical.  I know exactly what Rice did.  I only know what Marshall was accused, once, of doing.  I also know Marshall has an issue that he's treated.  Don't know why Rice did what he did.  Or if he's ever done it before.  

b/c I like to talk about reality.  what he has done is far worse whether there is a tape or not.  he appears to have completely turned his life around and should be commended for that but it's hypocritical to think what he did was ok and just bash Ray.  they both deserve bashing for what they have done and they both deserve praise for how they have come back from it. 

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

did any women's groups protest Brandon Marshall last year? and I assume you want him gone b/c he did beat his wife and has a long list of offenses.  Brandon got a 2nd chance, he appears to have turned around his life.  Ray Rice deserves that chance as well.

I think Marshall and his wife used to beat each other up.

Ray Rice isn't getting a chance because he's nearly 30, hasn't played in 2 years, and the last time he did play meaningful football he averaged 3.1 yards per carry and 5.5 yards per catch, both career lows. His physical ability is the bigger reason why he hasn't gotten work, the DV certainly doesn't help, but it's mostly because he's not very good anymore.

Good Lord.

Powell and Khiry Robinson are both better RB than Rice is right now. Some people go beyond beating a dead horse, and apparently need to beat it, slaughter it, grill it, eat it, crap it back out, burn it, spread the ashes on the ground and then pee on them.

12 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I think Marshall and his wife used to beat each other up.

he was arrested for DV w/ other women too

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Good Lord.

Powell and Khiry Robinson are both better RB than Rice is right now. Some people go beyond beating a dead horse, and apparently need to beat it, slaughter it, grill it, eat it, crap it back out, burn it, spread the ashes on the ground and then pee on them.

you obviously don't get my point.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you specifically. There's a handful of "sign this beast" guys advocating for Rice. I didn't actually read your post, I'll look now.

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

b/c I like to talk about reality.  what he has done is far worse whether there is a tape or not.  he appears to have completely turned his life around and should be commended for that but it's hypocritical to think what he did was ok and just bash Ray.  they both deserve bashing for what they have done and they both deserve praise for how they have come back from it. 

So, yea. I agree - from the standpoint of 2nd chances, he deserves another shot. If guys can get second chances after murdering dogs, and vehicular manslaughter, and illegal narcotics, then so can Rice, and I only say this because the standard should be consistent... personally, there's so many guys that would love a shot in this league, my stance would be more of a 1-strike and your out, but that's me. The league is clearly more tolerant, except for when they don't feel like it. It's a double-standard, for sure.

From the standpoint of playing ability, let him get that 2nd chance on another team's roster. 

21 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ray Rice comeback would be the feel good story of the 2016 NFL season 

He made a brutal mistake paid the price like so many others everyone deserves a second chance except a killer,rapist and a child molester. 

Do you have a time machine?  Kaepernick, Rice, you like everyone who was good up to 3 years ago and now sucks

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He had DV charges filed twice.  They were dropped.  So we have no idea.  The only one that followed through was after his wife stabbed him. 

If he can get a second chance, fine.  I just don't feel for the little, if anything, he brings to us he's not worth the headache.  He's not going to get touches here.  He's not good enough.  I'm not getting why you needed to bring in Marshall to help your case.  They're as different cases as their positions. 

How is this thread still about Ray Rice....  Let it go people, Rice will never play in the NFL again.  He was already declining when he was outed.  Be excited for Khiry getting back into action and hope he actually turns into even 20% of what Curtis Martin was for the Jets!

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

There's no rule saying you have to have 1 of every type of back. In fact, having similar skill sets means that if option A gets hurt, option B can step in without necessitating a scheme change. Especially nice, if the scheme works!

So then he'd be option "C" ..... got it!

Do you really think their going to cut a 3rd rd. pick participating in his 1st TC?

Doubtful.

36 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So then he'd be option "C" ..... got it!

Do you really think their going to cut a 3rd rd. pick participating in his 1st TC?

Doubtful.

You never know. Didn't expect them to start Wlson over Flynn.

I think this is very different, the man has been blackballed for over 2 years now.  It's not like signing Greg Hardy.  this isn't a star caliber player anymore, he's a role player.  They can turn that negative publicity into a positive which would start w/ him donating all of his salary.  it will take an organization w/ a backbone- that probably isn't us.

What he did is horrible but even violent felons can find work after they do their time. Why should a rapist, for example, be allowed to earn a living at his profession: be he a film director (Roman Polanski), actor (Bill Cosby), Boxer (Mike Tyson), Quarterback (Big Ben)--as just a few examples--but Rice is denied the ability to work and to (ironically) support his Wife, the very victim of this assault? Yes he was caught on tape and it was nauseating and despicable but seems he is being punished less for punching her and more because he was filmed. That's not justice that's a black balling, as many others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the suspension when it was 2 games was too short, it's been over 2 years now.  Brandon was constantly involved in domestic disputes.  We need to be fair, if we can't ever sign Ray then how can we have Brandon?

we know every case that is thrown out means nothing happened.  he was a repeat offender, what he did was worse.

I agree, it appears(b/c we don't really know) that Brandon has completely turned his life around.  My point was not to bash Brandon b/c he appears to have finally settled down, received treatment for his issues and is in a good place but he has a LONG history of domestic violence and other charges.  I am glad he appears to have corrected those issues and that he is an advocate for mental health issues.  Ray would be an advocate against domestic violence.  I know he's not coming here, I just hope he gets another shot so he can do what Brandon has done(not as a player but using his platform as a high profile athlete to raise awareness).

Well in that particular case charges were dropped because there was video proof of Brandon doing absolutely nothing...so again, being fair to the guy, nothing happened.  The only big issue that happened with Marshall was his wife stabbing him.  Ray just straight-up knocked out his wife.  On video no less.  He's done in the NFL and for good reason.  We have no use for him and I'd rather gamble on fixing Trent Richardson before picking up Rice.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

What he did is horrible but even violent felons can find work after they do their time. Why should a rapist, for example, be allowed to earn a living at his profession: be he a film director (Roman Polanski), actor (Bill Cosby), Boxer (Mike Tyson), Quarterback (Big Ben)--as just a few examples--but Rice is denied the ability to work and to (ironically) support his Wife, the very victim of this assault? Yes he was caught on tape and it was nauseating and despicable but seems he is being punished less for punching her and more because he was filmed. That's not justice that's a black balling, as many others have mentioned.

Who is denying Rice the ability to work?  Hes not good enough to overcome the negative pub he brings so no one will sign him.  

If he was the old Rice I would think he would have been given a chance.  

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who is denying Rice the ability to work?  Hes not good enough to overcome the negative pub he brings so no one will sign him.  

If he was the old Rice I would think he would have been given a chance.  

He had one off year, when it was shown he was injured, and has had no tryouts (nevermind being signed). That's a prototypical and undeniable black balling. You can argue all you want but come on now.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

He had one off year, when it was shown he was injured, and has had no tryouts (nevermind being signed). That's a prototypical and undeniable black balling. You can argue all you want but come on now.

agree, blackballed..not saying I want him for Jets, but something smells fishy at NFL HQ

12 hours ago, jgb said:

I understand he may never get another chance, he understands that to and he understands he has no one to blame but himself but you are right.  if this wasn't on tape he would have been playing in September a couple of years ago.  he deserved his suspension, he deserved to miss at least a year and he doesn't necessarily deserve another shot but he's done all the right things and will continue to do so.  I think he can be a positive example going forward but I definitely understand why he hasn't received that chance.  

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Bad timing for Rice that he had his worst season right before getting caught on tape knocking out his wife and dragging her out of an elevator. I wouldn't be so certain that there's some sort of collusion going on to blackball him, as it could just as easily be 32 owners all coming to the same conclusion: what he last showed on the field isn't worth the PR nightmare of bringing him in. I haven't seen the tape of Rice clocking the gf in a long time now, but you can bet it'll be shown 24/7 in the local market where he's signed and probably nationally, too. That's press no team wants. 

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Maybe.  Or maybe no one thinks he would be productive enough to overcome the baggage he brings. Point was no one knows for sure, 100% what the reason is.  Why aren't others blackballed?  Because teams still think they can be productive

1 hour ago, slats said:

Bad timing for Rice that he had his worst season right before getting caught on tape knocking out his wife and dragging her out of an elevator. I wouldn't be so certain that there's some sort of collusion going on to blackball him, as it could just as easily be 32 owners all coming to the same conclusion: what he last showed on the field isn't worth the PR nightmare of bringing him in. I haven't seen the tape of Rice clocking the gf in a long time now, but you can bet it'll be shown 24/7 in the local market where he's signed and probably nationally, too. That's press no team wants. 

he had his lone bad year and he played hurt.  that is the excuse teams are floating out there but don't buy it.  they aren't touching him b.c of the tape and solely b/c of the tape.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he had his lone bad year and he played hurt.  that is the excuse teams are floating out there but don't buy it.  they aren't touching him b.c of the tape and solely b/c of the tape.

I gotta agree.

Seems to me he could be effective on some roster in the NFL, but hes persona non grata at this juncture.

4 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I gotta agree.

Seems to me he could be effective on some roster in the NFL, but hes persona non grata at this juncture.

I think he can still help a team, he's in better shape now than he was 3-4 years ago.  he's ready to go but needs to work back into football shape.

I understand he may never get another chance, he understands that to and he understands he has no one to blame but himself but you are right.  if this wasn't on tape he would have been playing in September a couple of years ago.  he deserved his suspension, he deserved to miss at least a year and he doesn't necessarily deserve another shot but he's done all the right things and will continue to do so.  I think he can be a positive example going forward but I definitely understand why he hasn't received that chance.  

Yeah it was the tape. That's the differentiator here. My only point is it should be about the crime.

Hard to disagree if his final season was a pro bowl year maybe could've been different. Doubt we ever know. In hindsight should gone for CFL after suspension ended (maybe they won't take him either) and proven he had something left.

Maybe.  Or maybe no one thinks he would be productive enough to overcome the baggage he brings. Point was no one knows for sure, 100% what the reason is.  Why aren't others blackballed?  Because teams still think they can be productive

If Greg hardy or any of those guys had a video of their assault it would be the same for them. My opinion it's more about the tape than the deed at this point.No tape somebody would test this theory that he has nothing left with a camp invite. I mean Kellen freaking Winslow is still getting NFL tryouts.

After this amount of time, I agree

I think he can still help a team, he's in better shape now than he was 3-4 years ago.  he's ready to go but needs to work back into football shape.

Don't think we will see it

Archived