Pierce to IR, Jets sign RB Antone Smith

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Smith is a good runner and class act but also has had issues staying healthy.  Macc is trying hard to work through this rough RB patch, hopefully it gets ironed out before regular season.

I'm sure Bowles would like all of his starting RBs to be healthy and able to practice, participate in pre-season. But the three-headed monster should be ready to roll come week one, so I'm not worried. Between Powel, Seastruck, Morris, the two Williamses and now Smith, that's plenty of bodies for pre-season. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Whats up with Khiry Robinson? He's hurt too? 

I think he is still recovering from broken leg. He's on schedule for season opener and is currently off the PUP list, so sounds to me like the Jets are just being extra careful. 

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I wonder how many injuries we need to have before they give Ray Rice a call?

they should-he said he would play for free with his salary going to charity if I am not mistaken

see if he can still run

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We sure like awful, injured aging crap rbs.  The one big fail of the mac era for me so far.

Is it? Cuz you seem to complain about everything he does. Including the tiny linebacker who was all over the field in the first actual game he got to play in. 

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Not this again.  He was done before he knocked out his crazy wife

No he wasn't, he had ONE down year where he played hurt.  I don't know what he can do, I know he is in great shape and refreshed but 2 years out may be too much?  it's a no risk gamble though.  it's not like they'd have to give him a big contract.

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Rice was averaging 3 yards per carry before the scandal.  He was overused at Rutgers and worn down after being the Ravens featured back for several seasons

it's so dishonest for this to be used against him, he had one down year b/c of an injury.

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We sure like awful, injured aging crap rbs.  The one big fail of the mac era for me so far.

Teams with good young RBs tend not to turn them loose and drafting RBs seems to be a complete crapshoot, so I don't mind Macc not overpaying for a younger RB and not blowing needed draft picks at this position. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Forte is an excellent, injured, aging, great rb ... I'm sure you aren't including him in your comment

Edit for more details - the injury is supposed to be minor, aging is entering his 9th season .... Hasn't shown drop off yet.

averaging give or take 1,000 YD's rushing 4.2 per carry, 500 yards receiving , 8 TD's per season

lol ... Is that your definition of awful & crap ?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

JMO. Jets are holding out Forte on purpose. Using the hammy as a justification. He doesn't need TC workload. 

33 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

No he wasn't, he had ONE down year where he played hurt.  I don't know what he can do, I know he is in great shape and refreshed but 2 years out may be too much?  it's a no risk gamble though.  it's not like they'd have to give him a big contract.

Signing a guy who knocked out his (then) girlfriend with an uppercut, on video, is anything but a no risk gamble. 

39 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

db2c46cf307edf0ebbe0892f9edf6122.jpg 

"OK You and the rest of your bastages can gamble, but don't try no fargin trick, otherwise you wind up with your bells in a sling."

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Signing a guy who knocked out his (then) girlfriend with an uppercut, on video, is anything but a no risk gamble. 

if he can't play you cut him.  unlike others who have been in trouble he admits his mistake, he is working to help prevent domestic violence, he has stated he will give up his first years salary to DV charities, he will do great things off the field for any team that signs him.  I am 100% biased in this situation and I don't expect others to understand.

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I'm sure Bowles would like all of his starting RBs to be healthy and able to practice, participate in pre-season. But the three-headed monster should be ready to roll come week one, so I'm not worried. Between Powel, Seastruck, Morris, the two Williamses and now Smith, that's plenty of bodies for pre-season. 

agree, I am quite happy w/RBs an depth. The top 3 of Forte/Powell and Khiry may not be ESPN headline worthy, but trust me, maybe when it comes to  a teams top THREE RBs we are near the top!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Antone Smith was a pretty solid RB/FB for Atlanta right? He's the one that threw up some good stats as a fill-in when their starter got hurt a couple years ago??? 

That is correct.  If he stays healthy I would see us keeping him around possibly as a #4 possibly

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Because he added Ridley or whoever at the back end of the RB core last year?  

What part of the Macc era isn't a fail to you?  

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

if he can't play you cut him.  unlike others who have been in trouble he admits his mistake, he is working to help prevent domestic violence, he has stated he will give up his first years salary to DV charities, he will do great things off the field for any team that signs him.  I am 100% biased in this situation and I don't expect others to understand.

And no matter what he does or donated you'd be the team that brought in a woman beater.  In the media capital of the world.  You're not understanding what will happen.  Tebow, Vick and Rex were enough.

Archived