#TEAMPETTY

CobraVerde

9 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I don't care what happens to Geno if he leaves the Jets. What I care about is a team that is built to win now relying on a weak armed journeyman QB who has an injury history. This has the potential makings of Parcells relying on Rick Mirer when Vinny went down. Could Petty truly hold down the starting job if Fitz gets injured

We don't know. 

What we do know is that Geno can't.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SMC said:

I know the writers speculated on it, but I never thought there was possibility for this FO to cut Petty over Geno. There's 3 QBs on the roster that Mac signed. He has nothing invested in Geno.  

Geno had to play lights out in preseason and practice to be considered a keeper over Mac having to consider getting rid of a guy he personally chose.

This post is to the point.  I'd add that at the very least Geno was required to play better than Petty, and not worse than or equal to Petty.  If this trend continues then Geno is all but gone.  

I'm hoping it does: 1) it's written all over Geno's face; it's uncomfortable watching someone blow it.  2) we open up a roster spot while saving 1.5 or so million off the cap.      

“I thought Bryce played well,” starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. “I think the biggest difference from him last year is when the ball comes out of his hand. You can tell he’s more confident in his reads and therefore the ball is coming out a lot better. I think he’s done a great job all preseason.”

The Baylor product was handed the keys to the offense for the entirety of the second half. He finished the game with 242 pass yards on 16 completions coupled with two touchdowns and a QB rating of 117.8.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Here's what you need to buy into, these truths should be self-evident:

1. The odds of the Jets making the playoffs with a schedule this hard is less than 10%.

2. If Fitz goes down for even one game, the odds of the Jets making the playoffs goes to 0%.

3. So the answer to your question is "it doesn't matter for 2016, but it can make all the difference for 2017". 

This is going to be a wasted season if all we do is chase the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  We will be in the same spot a year from now, questioning if Petty or Hackenberg could be good or if Fitzpatrick needs to be re-signed.  You should look at the backup QB role for this year as the spot for the QB on the roster most likely to be our starter in 2017.  And that QB is not Geno Smith.

SAR I

I agree with everything else you say here.  None the less I want to make the post season.

Making it to the post season is never a waste.

Geno Smith had one pass broken up and another intercepted because he stared down his target and didn't see - or account for - another defender dropping off their man into the passing lane. He had one pass dropped by Jace Amaro, but that should have been an easy throw as he threw it behind him on the roll-out. His hesitation also led to him getting flagged for intentional grounding as he eventually threw the ball away, but didn't get it back to the line of scrimmage.

He had one throw (to Robby Anderson) broken up because the throw was too late and then another was thrown on time but behind the receiver (Charone Peake) on fourth down. Or did the receiver break too early on the first one and too late on the second one? 

These are issues Smith has had in the past, seemingly waiting for a receiver to make his break before making the throw and giving a defender time to recover and break it up. Is this because he doesn't trust the receiver to make the break at the right moment so is reluctant to let the throw go? Perhaps, but that's the wrong approach. On fourth down, he made the right decision to release the throw when he did and trust the receiver to break to the right spot. We'll never know if that throw was off-line or the receiver just made his break a little late, but he seemed to put it in a spot where an easy completion could have been made.

Third-stringer Bryce Petty was able to generate production from the same set of receivers though. While that's perhaps partly due to the fact he has better chemistry with those reserves after Smith spent much of the offseason working with starters, it still doesn't reflect well on Smith.

Petty was noticeably progressing through his reads on some plays and his footwork remains superior to Smith's. Smith wasn't stepping into his throws, even when he apparently had room to do so. This forces him to rely more on his arm to get the ball there, which is always risky.

One throw did sail over the middle and should have been intercepted. On another, he didn't see the linebacker dropping into the passing lane and had his pass broken up. He also struggled with pressure on a couple of occasions.

On the whole, though, it was a positive performance from Petty against Washington's back-ups. He mostly threw the ball well and, even though his consistency was lacking at times, some of the successful throws he had were highlight reel material. That's sure to get some people in his corner to earn the number two job outright. We still need to see more though.

I'm not ready to announce Petty the future but keep in mind the progress he has made in one year where many considered him a 3-4 year project based on the offense he had at Baylor. In the article mentioned above, it explained how his footwork was better than Geno's and he was progressing through his reads. This was done only after one year. I'm excited what progress should be made after another.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Here's what you need to buy into, these truths should be self-evident:

1. The odds of the Jets making the playoffs with a schedule this hard is less than 10%.

2. If Fitz goes down for even one game, the odds of the Jets making the playoffs goes to 0%.

3. So the answer to your question is "it doesn't matter for 2016, but it can make all the difference for 2017". 

This is going to be a wasted season if all we do is chase the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  We will be in the same spot a year from now, questioning if Petty or Hackenberg could be good or if Fitzpatrick needs to be re-signed.  You should look at the backup QB role for this year as the spot for the QB on the roster most likely to be our starter in 2017.  And that QB is not Geno Smith.

SAR I

1. I agree - does the front office

2. I disagree I don't think the drop off from Fitz to Geno is that significant.

3. If it doesn't matter for 2016 then why did they sign Fitz , they could have either started Geno and brought in Petty if and when he faltered. Or Just started Petty from the get go  and saved a bunch of cash and a roster spot to boot. The problem is this team doesn't believe 2016 doesn't matter. 

9 hours ago, ljr said:

Wasn't Mirer the seasoned vet with the poor resume in that example (I.e. - Geno) ?

that part of your post sounds like you are supporting Petty

i believe in another post you add the caveat of ... As long as the coaches aren't basing there decision just on the last 2 weeks ... And then your final sentence here "could Petty truly hold down the #2 QB job"

These seem like you are doubting that Petty the moderately known > Geno the known to be bad

the coaches certainly seem to be ready to give Petty the passing grade as long as he doesn't stumble these last 2 weeks!

No Mirer was signed because Tuna left himself with no other option as he stacked the roster for a SB run. The Jets in essence are doing the same thing if they make Petty the #2. The are putting all their eggs in the Fitz basket.  Unlike SAR and others here I feel the Jets can remain competitive with Geno taking over for Fitz , 

Are the coaches ready to promote Petty ?   Is he really ready ???  Again I pray they're not basing that decision on a few meaningless  PS games .  I know the fanbase has anointed him the savior and heir to the throne based on the hype and their abject hate for Geno - I trust the team decision makers will be less emotional in their analysis.

9 hours ago, ljr said:

I want to see 1 (or even 2)more game, and against the 2's ... But as long as he plays similarly to what he's shown so far then yes.

How about you?

if Petty plays equal to or better than he did in Washington who do you want as our #2 ... If you had to use your brain and venture an opinion that chose 1 player vs. the other based solely on your thoughts and you not being just some robot follower of someone else

I can tell you who I prefer but I know for damn sure I can't base my decision off the limited amount of time I've seen Petty play in meaningless PS games. I haven't been in practices and in team meetings I haven't seen the work he's put in the classroom and film study - I'm not privy to that information and I believe 99% of the posters here fall into the same category.. 

7 hours ago, pointman said:

If Fitz goes down and Petty becomes the guy, isn't it worth the chance that he loses a game or two more than Geno would have, in order to find out what we really have in Petty?

If its a losing season then yes by all means . If we're in the midst of the playoff hunt then absolutely not. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I can tell you who I prefer but I know for damn sure I can't base my decision off the limited amount of time I've seen Petty play in meaningless PS games. I haven't been in practices and in team meetings I haven't seen the work he's put in the classroom and film study - I'm not privy to that information and I believe 99% of the posters here fall into the same category.. 

Great points. I'll add that if Bowles is really considering Petty as #2, he has to let him play with the 1's saturday vs. the Giants #1 d.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

We don't know. 

What we do know is that Geno can't.

Based on what ??? Your observations of him in 2 preseason games . Your observation of him running an offense that Joe Montana couldn't win with under Rex. Based on the fact he got suckered punched by a Rex thug. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Based on what ??? Your observations of him in 2 preseason games . Your observation of him running an offense that Joe Montana couldn't win with under Rex. Based on the fact he got suckered punched by a Rex thug. 

All the above. 2 preseason games be it from an untrained eye (my own) Geno looks like the same old Geno. Sanchez was run out running that same offense. As for the sucker punch Geno's leadership skills or lack of helped lead up to that punch.

53 minutes ago, Schmidt said:

Geno Smith had one pass broken up and another intercepted because he stared down his target and didn't see - or account for - another defender dropping off their man into the passing lane. He had one pass dropped by Jace Amaro, but that should have been an easy throw as he threw it behind him on the roll-out. His hesitation also led to him getting flagged for intentional grounding as he eventually threw the ball away, but didn't get it back to the line of scrimmage.

He had one throw (to Robby Anderson) broken up because the throw was too late and then another was thrown on time but behind the receiver (Charone Peake) on fourth down. Or did the receiver break too early on the first one and too late on the second one? 

These are issues Smith has had in the past, seemingly waiting for a receiver to make his break before making the throw and giving a defender time to recover and break it up. Is this because he doesn't trust the receiver to make the break at the right moment so is reluctant to let the throw go? Perhaps, but that's the wrong approach. On fourth down, he made the right decision to release the throw when he did and trust the receiver to break to the right spot. We'll never know if that throw was off-line or the receiver just made his break a little late, but he seemed to put it in a spot where an easy completion could have been made.

Third-stringer Bryce Petty was able to generate production from the same set of receivers though. While that's perhaps partly due to the fact he has better chemistry with those reserves after Smith spent much of the offseason working with starters, it still doesn't reflect well on Smith.

Petty was noticeably progressing through his reads on some plays and his footwork remains superior to Smith's. Smith wasn't stepping into his throws, even when he apparently had room to do so. This forces him to rely more on his arm to get the ball there, which is always risky.

One throw did sail over the middle and should have been intercepted. On another, he didn't see the linebacker dropping into the passing lane and had his pass broken up. He also struggled with pressure on a couple of occasions.

On the whole, though, it was a positive performance from Petty against Washington's back-ups. He mostly threw the ball well and, even though his consistency was lacking at times, some of the successful throws he had were highlight reel material. That's sure to get some people in his corner to earn the number two job outright. We still need to see more though.

the throw Petty had over the middle didn't sail, if was a freaking laser into a tight window.  If the first defender doesn't get a finger on it, it was a big play to Marshall.  The second defender simply dropped it after it was deflecfed.  The throw itself was probably the best throw of the night. 

9 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

All the above. 2 preseason games be it from an untrained eye (my own) Geno looks like the same old Geno. Sanchez was run out running that same offense. As for the sucker punch Geno's leadership skills or lack of helped lead up to that punch.

IK got into a skirmish with an teammate at Bills camp  a few weeks ago and punched him - was  it due that players lack of leadership. IK punched a cop during college . Bottom line he's a loose cannon. If the punch happened to any other Jet that the fanbase liked , it would have clearly been seen that way, because it was Geno who most dislike it gets attributed to Geno's leadership . 

46 minutes ago, hawk said:

the throw Petty had over the middle didn't sail, if was a freaking laser into a tight window.  If the first defender doesn't get a finger on it, it was a big play to Marshall.  The second defender simply dropped it after it was deflecfed.  The throw itself was probably the best throw of the night. 

Is it just me or does Petty show a pretty quick release?  I think quicker than both Fitz and Geno. 

43 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

IK got into a skirmish with an teammate at Bills camp  a few weeks ago and punched him - was  it due that players lack of leadership. IK punched a cop during college . Bottom line he's a loose cannon. If the punch happened to any other Jet that the fanbase liked , it would have clearly been seen that way, because it was Geno who most dislike it gets attributed to Geno's leadership . 

In no way did I try to defend  IK just that Geno did not help himself in that situation. Clearly IK has to bare his share of the responsibility. The issue at Bills camp is something that happens at many camp between bubble players still no excuse and shows a pattern of ill advised behavior. My guess is IK has seen his last camp.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

No Mirer was signed because Tuna left himself with no other option as he stacked the roster for a SB run. The Jets in essence are doing the same thing if they make Petty the #2. The are putting all their eggs in the Fitz basket.  Unlike SAR and others here I feel the Jets can remain competitive with Geno taking over for Fitz , 

Are the coaches ready to promote Petty ?   Is he really ready ???  Again I pray they're not basing that decision on a few meaningless  PS games .  I know the fanbase has anointed him the savior and heir to the throne based on the hype and their abject hate for Geno - I trust the team decision makers will be less emotional in their analysis.

The big mistake the Tuna made was waiting so long before putting Lucas in who was 6-3 in the games he started Mirer was 2-4 ..

Although it was against 3rd stringers, still I'm happy with what I've seen from Petty so far, and hopefully he can keep improving

I actually did not like Petty in college and was upset when the Jets drafted him. I really wanted Brett Hundley, and part of me is still upset we passed up on him.

That being said, I'm still rooting for Petty either way

We have a pretty good idea what Mac and Bowles think of Geno based on their actions.

They played Fitz with a broken hand last year over starting Geno

There was no market for Fitz this year but still paid him $12 million.

It makes no sense to cut Geno until they believe they have a viable backup. If they're not sure I think they'll make a move to keep all 4 such as IR'ng Hack.

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

We have a pretty good idea what Mac and Bowles think of Geno based on their actions.

They played Fitz with a broken hand last year over starting Geno

There was no market for Fitz this year but still paid him $12 million.

It makes no sense to cut Geno until they believe they have a viable backup. If they're not sure I think they'll make a move to keep all 4 such as IR'ng Hack.

A thumb on his non throwing hand - let's not get crazy here. 

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

A thumb on his non throwing hand - let's not get crazy here. 

Yes, and if the Jets had any faith in Geno they would've done the prudent thing and rested Fitz for a week.

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yes, and if the Jets had any faith in Geno they would've done the prudent thing and rested Fitz for a week.

Mediocre Qb's know they're 1 great game by their understudy of losing the job. Fitz would have played if his nuts were hanging off. Qb's never want out of the lineup and I'm sure Fitz in conjunction with team Dr's assured Bowles he wouldn't risk further damage..  

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News believes Bryce Petty is a lock to make the Jets' 53-man roster.

Mehta is calling this the "Summer of Bryce." Petty has had a strong preseason, which only complicates the Jets' already muddled quarterback situation. It would have been easy to move on from Petty but his emergence means the Jets may end up keeping four quarterbacks on their 53-man roster. Petty and Geno Smith are battling for the No. 2 role behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick while second-round pick Christian Hackenberg is a distant fourth on the team's depth chart.

On August 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM, CobraVerde said:

Let the madness begin. He's better than Geno. And honestly not that far away from Fitz. If you want to get real he's better than Fitz. Id like to see him with the 1's.

He certainly played well, that's for sure. The Bret Ratliff award goes to Petty!

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News believes Bryce Petty is a lock to make the Jets' 53-man roster.

Mehta is calling this the "Summer of Bryce." Petty has had a strong preseason, which only complicates the Jets' already muddled quarterback situation. It would have been easy to move on from Petty but his emergence means the Jets may end up keeping four quarterbacks on their 53-man roster. Petty and Geno Smith are battling for the No. 2 role behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick while second-round pick Christian Hackenberg is a distant fourth on the team's depth chart.

Our situation isn't complicated.

Petty might have a future here.

Geno doesn't.

Petty has shown improvement.

Geno hasn't.

We're hosed if Fitz gets hurt regardless, Petty or Geno.

Geno should be cut after the last preseason game.

MOve on, Fitz holds for now, Petty and lolHack can fight it out to see who starts in 2017.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno doesn't.

Geno hasn't.

MOve on, Fitz holds for now, Petty and lolHack can fight it out to see who starts in 2017.

Geno has experience, is as good as Fitzaverage (which is not good) and costs a $1million against the cap. We could likely get a 2018 compensatory pick for him. He might be traded. Very very unlikely he is cut.We could have a situation where Geno is #2 but after Fitzloser F*(@s us up the a$$ the first 6 games they turn it over to Petty and not Geno

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno doesn't.

Geno hasn't.

Or we draft another QB 

Archived