WAS Observations

KRL

In any other sport when I watch during pre-season I never go "crazy", but when it
comes to football I always have to catch myself before I start screaming at the TV.
I wonder why that is?  After watching the game again there's a ton to clean up.  Bowles
is probably going to turn the heat up this week in practice:

Special Teams

- So far so good with Lachlan Edwards and the punt coverage.  Every punt had good distance,
hang time and "flipped" the field

- Unfortunately we had nothing in the return game due to touchbacks and good WAS coverage

- Ross Martin may be a good kicker in the future but he's not ready yet

Defense

- The "whiffs" and missed tackles need to start decreasing.  They've led to big gains and extended
drives

- Third down efficiency has to increase, too many third and longs are being converted

- It's good that the defense is "bending" and not giving up points.  But I'm tired of seeing the
opponent march down the field for 7-8 minutes at a time

- Bad games from Marcus Williams and Erin Henderson.  Williams was soft in coverage giving up 
completions and Henderson vacated his lane a few times allowing a couple of big runs

- Jordan Jenkins had a rookie up & down game.  He had two QB hits (which were almost sacks) but
he badly whiffed on a clean sack of McCoy

- Lorenzo Mauldin needs to get better cleats or improve his balance.  Because multiple times he
was closing in on the QB off the edge and he ended up on the ground.  He also lost containment
on a couple of runs

- Good games from Rontez Miles & Ronald Martin.  Both patrolled the middle of the field and made
multiple tackles at the line of scrimmage.  In addition Martin showed good range knocking passes
away on sideline patterns

- Even though Juston Burris gave up two TD's (which he had good coverage on) he had some impressive
PBU's

- Is Leonard Williams going to average a sack a game for the year?

- Solid games from Deon Simon and Mike Catapano particularly killing WAS running attack

Offense

- Horrible drops which led to multiple three and outs and prevented the offense from developing
any kind of flow

- Zach Sudfeld made a nice TD catch, other than that the TE's were awful in their ball security.  Kellen
Davis and Sudfeld have no excuse for allowing DB's to knock the ball out.  And Jace Amaro had multiple
brutal drops that killed drives

- When Bilal Powell was at RB the running game looked good.  When Tommy Bohanon and Julian Howsare took
over our running game disappeared, enough said

- Considering Mangold sat out the OLine was solid.  Ben Ijalana & Brent Qvale alternated at RT and both
were not noticeable (which is what you want)

- Jalin Marshall had a down game with multiple drops, he needs to bounce back next week

- Charone Peake also had a couple of drops but fought through and made some plays

- Robby Anderson was the big standout and it was good to see him high point the ball and take it away
from CB's.  Has he moved up in the WR pecking order?

- Shocked at how poorly Geno Smith performed.  Playing against #2's you can't be inaccurate and short
hopping balls.  In my eyes the #2 spot is now up for grabs between him and Bryce Petty

- Petty had a good game and continues to grow.  He showed good mobility in the pocket and was able to
make plays when the protection broke down

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Great observation and analysis of the game now if only we can get the Geno haters to comment on the game as a team and not individual efforts. 

Because in the preseason you can usually gauge how good or bad a team is gonna be during the regular season.

Thanks as always KRL. This was a bad game for the Jets. Other than Special Teams nothing stood out. But this is preseason and games like this will evantually help us clean up the mistakes. 

Looking forward to the Giants game as it will be a good dress rehearsal before the real dance. I hope we see a cleaner game without any injuries. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree with all points.  

I would add that it's time for the starting offense to step up.  Geno was so horrendous that people are ignoring Fitzs struggles to this point.  He needs to step it up too

He only threw a handful of passes and had two drops and a fumble on a completion after going 3-4 last week.  Non issue.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He only threw a handful of passes and had two drops and a fumble on a completion after going 3-4 last week.  Non issue.

He was 4-9.  Starting offense hasn't looked too crisp.  I get he hasn't played a lot.  Then again it's hard to play well throwing when you don't have a RB in the game, 

Its just time for the starting offense to look like it can score.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was 4-9.  Starting offense hasn't looked too crisp.  I get he hasn't played a lot.  Then again it's hard to play well throwing when you don't have a RB in the game, 

Its just time for the starting offense to look like it can score.  

He was 4-9 with two drops and an alligator arm from Marshall on his first pass means he was on target on 7 of 9 passes after 3-4 last week. 

It will look like itheycan score when they hold on to the ball to move it down the field.  Marshall's aligator arm and Amaro's drops were both easy first downs if they make the play.

The o-line hasn't looked very good early on either...hopefully that's the only reason, that it's early on.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He was 4-9 with two drops and an alligator arm from Marshall on his first pass means he was on target on 7 of 9 passes after 3-4 last week. 

It will look like itheycan score when they hold on to the ball to move it down the field.  Marshall's aligator arm and Amaro's drops were both easy first downs if they make the play.

The o-line hasn't looked very good early on either...hopefully that's the only reason, that it's early on.

Those alligator arm plays are the reason we got Marshall for a 5th. They've been a common occurrence throughout his career.

Thanks KRL. No running game is hurting the O. The drops are putting the nail in the coffin. Amaro should not be dropping passes like he did. He reminded me of another Jets TE who dropped passes. Name started witha B..lol. If he plays next week he needs to do much better as they may hold out Enunwa (The Q).

ST is making it happen. Lac is the real deal thus far. Been decades since a the Jets had a punter like this, if ever. 

B Marshall did not want to take the hit in PS so he short armed the ball. I agree with that play. 

Leo is the Lion King. Delicate Dee still living up to his name. I did not even see how he got hurt. Williams was not ready last night. That Number 2 CB position is the weak link for now. Rontez is showing up. Pryor made a nice hit early on too.Revis had a nice pick.

The OL is leaky when Winters is in. He still cannot pass block well. RT looks solid. 

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Marshall was a first down play they did nothing after that drop, went 3 and out.  Guess not so much Fitz but the starting unit has to show a little more.  

Not panicing, it's just nice to see something positive as a highlight

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Lol...Becht...he was a drive killer

Amazingly he had a long NFL career

Wasnt Becht the one who was thrown a would be game winning TD vs Cincy except he stepped out of the back of the EZ on his own?

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wasnt Becht the one who was thrown a would be game winning TD vs Cincy except he stepped out of the back of the EZ on his own?

I am not sure. Hopefully someone can answer this...lol

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Jets tight end position has been a total blur since the 80's. I long for the days of the Mark Boyer Chris Dressel tandem.

The big thing for Petty is that his ball placement is impeccable, even on the final incompletion to J Marshall he put the ball inside shoulder away from the defender, that kind of accuracy is what makes Rodgers great. Petty's two TDs were throws Geno and Fitz couldn't make because mechanically Petty has a shorter release than Geno and holds the ball higher and his arm strength is far beyond Fitz's so he didn't have to set his feet.

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The big thing for Petty is that his ball placement is impeccable, even on the final incompletion to J Marshall he put the ball inside shoulder away from the defender, that kind of accuracy is what makes Rodgers great. Petty's two TDs were throws Geno and Fitz couldn't make because mechanically Petty has a shorter release than Geno and holds the ball higher and his arm strength is far beyond Fitz's so he didn't have to set his feet.

that's exactly what stood out to me.  this and his ability to move in the pocket.  he passed the eye test last night.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Those alligator arm plays are the reason we got Marshall for a 5th. They've been a common occurrence throughout his career.

Don't even care, Fitz was leading Marshall to injured reserve where he put that ball.  Marshall has nothing to prove in preseason, I'm glad he "noped" out of risking injury on that play.

19 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Mauldin has been a mild disappointment all camp.

Edwards has me excited about the punting game.  We've neglected the position for so long.

Mauldin needs more time in the oven and to build a better toolkit to shed blockers.  Right now he keeps getting put in the dirt b/c he keeps trying to beat everyone outside with speed and he's losing balance and leverage b/c of it.  He needs better technique in his toolkit.

Definitely not Fitz's best performance. Want to chalk it up to getting the rust off in preseason because he's a lock on the starter position. We can't have him making sh*t throws all season.

Geno is looking less each game like a guy who is going to wear a Jets uniform next month. 

Petty is looking like the reason why.

Geno Smith-001

In any other sport when I watch during pre-season I never go “crazy”, but when it comes to football I always have to catch myself before I start screaming at the TV. I wonder why that is?  After watching the game again there’s a ton to clean up.  Bowles is probably going to turn the heat up this week in practice:

Special Teams

– So far so good with Lachlan Edwards and the punt coverage.  Every punt had good distance, hang time and “flipped” the field.

– Unfortunately we had nothing in the return game due to touchbacks and good WAS coverage.

– Ross Martin may be a good kicker in the future but he’s not ready yet.

Defense

– The “whiffs” and missed tackles need to start decreasing.  They’ve led to big gains and extended drives.

– Third down efficiency has to increase, too many third and longs are being converted.

– It’s good that the defense is “bending” and not giving up points.  But I’m tired of seeing the opponent march down the field for 7-8 minutes at a time.

– Bad games from Marcus Williams and Erin Henderson.  Williams was soft in coverage giving up completions and Henderson vacated his lane a few times allowing a couple of big runs.

– Jordan Jenkins had a rookie up & down game.  He had two QB hits (which were almost sacks) but he badly whiffed on a clean sack of McCoy.

– Lorenzo Mauldin needs to get better cleats or improve his balance.  Because multiple times he was closing in on the QB off the edge and he ended up on the ground.  He also lost containment on a couple of runs.

– Good games from Rontez Miles & Ronald Martin.  Both patrolled the middle of the field and made multiple tackles at the line of scrimmage.  In addition Martin showed good range knocking passes away on sideline patterns.

– Even though Juston Burris gave up two TD’s (which he had good coverage on) he had some impressive PBU’s.

– Is Leonard Williams going to average a sack a game for the year?

– Solid games from Deon Simon and Mike Catapano particularly killing WAS running attack.

Offense

– Horrible drops which led to multiple three and outs and prevented the offense from developing any kind of flow.

– Zach Sudfeld made a nice TD catch, other than that the TE’s were awful in their ball security.  Kellen Davis and Sudfeld have no excuse for allowing DB’s to knock the ball out.  And Jace Amaro had multiple brutal drops that killed drives.

– When Bilal Powell was at RB the running game looked good.  When Tommy Bohanon and Julian Howsare took over our running game disappeared, enough said.

– Considering Mangold sat out the OLine was solid.  Ben Ijalana & Brent Qvale alternated at RT and both were not noticeable (which is what you want).

– Jalin Marshall had a down game with multiple drops, he needs to bounce back next week.

– Charone Peake also had a couple of drops but fought through and made some plays.

– Robby Anderson was the big standout and it was good to see him high point the ball and take it away from CB’s.  Has he moved up in the WR pecking order?

– Shocked at how poorly Geno Smith performed.  Playing against #2’s you can’t be inaccurate and short hopping balls.  In my eyes the #2 spot is now up for grabs between him and Bryce Petty.

– Petty had a good game and continues to grow.  He showed good mobility in the pocket and was able to make plays when the protection broke down.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nRZMyo-JrCM

Click here to read the full story...

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Nice write up; if one of these TEs emerges we could have a top 5 offense (seriously). Too bad that's unlikely.

Such a brutal night for the tight ends. There was this:

And then Sudfeld had that terrible fumble. Amaro just had a drop. Davis and Sudfeld fumbled. Insanity.

Archived