Revis??? Or the D playcalling???

paulyjet

38 minutes ago, paulyjet said:

Is it him playing way off, allowing Green space, or is it the Defensive player calling???

We saw the same thing against Watkins in last years finale. I'd tend to go with the defensive play calling. Bowles should be blamed for most of the 180 yards. Marcus is to be blamed for the 50+ yard TD. Revis had the underneath covered like he was supposed to. Safety help would've turned that into an int. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

We saw the same thing against Watkins in last years finale. I'd tend to go with the defensive play calling. Bowles should be blamed for most of the 180 yards. Marcus is to be blamed for the 50+ yard TD. Revis had the underneath covered like he was supposed to. Safety help would've turned that into an int. 

Glad someone else realizes this.  If Williams stuck to his assignment that TD would've turned into an INT.  Because to me that

coverage was baiting Dalton to throw the ball to the middle of the field thinking he had Green in single coverage.  If Williams

did his job he would've been able to come over and pick it off or at least knock it away

I've asked this since last season and it annoys me. Watch when Revis is up tight on AJ, Dalton threw the damn bubble screens in which Revis was picked twice. I'd say the Bengals confused the Jets to some degree. Hell AJ was passed on that coverage, Revis wasn't even running hard..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

There was a lot of that playing off last year, & people blame Revis. But I'm starting to think it's the way Bowles has them play... & that worries me. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Revis... He's not elite, he's not shut down....he's in the "solid starter" category.

Maybe Todd Bowles has been reluctant to accept this and adapt his coverage accordingly...but he needs to.  

Um... until week 17 last year, Revis was being used like we're all accustomed to. Then there was an adjustment, in week 17 that carried into week 1... and in both games, Revis has been torched.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Um... until week 17 last year, Revis was being used like we're all accustomed to. Then there was an adjustment, in week 17 that carried into week 1... and in both games, Revis has been torched.

not sure I understand your point.  Are you agreeing with or disagreeing with me?

He wasn't as effective as we were all accustomed to last year and he's certainly not getting any younger.  CB's are like RB's...they hit a wall once they lose their explosiveness and that can happen in an offseason.  It's not a slow decline, you go from great - to average very quickly (no pun intended)

He was still left in single coverage much of the game and it clearly didn't work out.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Glad someone else realizes this.  If Williams stuck to his assignment that TD would've turned into an INT.  Because to me that

coverage was baiting Dalton to throw the ball to the middle of the field thinking he had Green in single coverage.  If Williams

did his job he would've been able to come over and pick it off or at least knock it away

this is what i dont understand about that play.  Williams is not the safety, he was playing the opposite corner.  he is supposed to drop his coverage and get deep middle? hrmmmm

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

cant blame last week on his wrist...

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

not sure I understand your point.  Are you agreeing with or disagreeing with me?

He wasn't as effective as we were all accustomed to last year and he's certainly not getting any younger.  CB's are like RB's...they hit a wall once they lose their explosiveness and that can happen in an offseason.  It's not a slow decline, you go from great - to average very quickly (no pun intended)

He was still left in single coverage much of the game and it clearly didn't work out.

I'm suggesting they did adjust, and it's been worse. Perhaps go back to how it was, because and old Revis playing it his way, physical, on the line, disrupting rouites - was a lot better than Revis giving a 10-yard cushion.

20 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

this is what i dont understand about that play.  Williams is not the safety, he was playing the opposite corner.  he is supposed to drop his coverage and get deep middle? hrmmmm

You're right Williams was on the other side of the field.  But the man he was covering was running a crossing route, Williams was

supposed to hand that guy to Gilchrist and fall back into a safety position.  Hopefully fooling Dalton at the last second to throw into

double coverage

31 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm suggesting they did adjust, and it's been worse. Perhaps go back to how it was, because and old Revis playing it his way, physical, on the line, disrupting rouites - was a lot better than Revis giving a 10-yard cushion.

I would say that Revis looks fine physically.  He still has speed and quickness.

Rodgers and Bowles leave a lot to be desired, though . . .

Just now, detectivekimble said:

I would say that Revis looks fine physically.  He still has speed and quickness.

Rodgers and Bowles leave a lot to be desired, though . . .

you just can't stick him on elite wrs 1 on 1 anymore and expect perfection.  and since there are enough teams with big, fast and physical wrs, revis will need help.  i wonder how many more tds will happen until they figure it out.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

You're right Williams was on the other side of the field.  But the man he was covering was running a crossing route, Williams was

supposed to hand that guy to Gilchrist and fall back into a safety position.  Hopefully fooling Dalton at the last second to throw into

double coverage

Then that is some complex sh*t right there.  he goes from one sideline to deep middle to catch a flyer coming from the other side of the field???  I dont think that is possible. sorry. The WR that he is initially covering does an "in" and the CB covering him takes off deep middle?  I get the deception part but I dont think that is reasonable or even possible.

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Then that is some complex sh*t right there.  he goes from one sideline to deep middle to catch a flyer coming from the other side of the field???  I dont think that is possible. sorry. The WR that he is initially covering does an "in" and the CB covering him takes off deep middle?  I get the deception part but I dont think that is reasonable or even possible.

I agree with you. On that play , Cincy did a good job of hanging that single high safety out to dry. If the safety backpedaled to cover the deep middle Cincy still has a huge gain on the "in" route. Williams did such a poor job on covering the "in" route that the safety felt compelled to help him....instead of staying in the deep middle of the field. sh*t, Dalton probably fooled the safety, with his eyes, into biting on the "in" route.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This

lets see Revis bumping Watkins (if he plays) at the LOS 

if he gets torched that is on Revis ... Certainly would prefer to gamble on that than what we've seen with Revis playing soft 2015 week 17 & 2016 week 1

From Cimini:

Many of the receptions by Green were short gains on which Revis gave significant cushion. Coach Todd Bowles said Revis has the freedom to decide on his own whether he wants to play bump-and-run or "off" coverage.

Bowles said Revis has earned that right.

"Not everyone [has it]," Bowles said. "He does."

Seems maybe Revis has lost some confidence since the wrist injury.  Not sure...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17540865/darrelle-revis-new-york-jets-confident-rebound-week-1-woes

A combination of both. AJ Green's long TD reception was the result of busted coverage - Williams was supposed to give help over the top. Revis, though, billing himself as being $14m elite CB, should have covered him sufficiently nevertheless. He gets paid to specifically stop the other team's best WR from making that kind of catch. If he can no longer do that, he's gonna become Ed Reed or Nnamdi Asomugha version 2.0.

I wouldn't be surprised if Revis is playing for another team for the vet's minimum at the end of the year. 

42 minutes ago, baamf said:

From Cimini:

Many of the receptions by Green were short gains on which Revis gave significant cushion. Coach Todd Bowles said Revis has the freedom to decide on his own whether he wants to play bump-and-run or "off" coverage.

Bowles said Revis has earned that right.

"Not everyone [has it]," Bowles said. "He does."

Seems maybe Revis has lost some confidence since the wrist injury.  Not sure...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17540865/darrelle-revis-new-york-jets-confident-rebound-week-1-woes

I heard Bowles say the same thing in hi spresser yesterday.  More comments from Cimini -- wonder the same thing about Revis confidence if he is choosing to play off.

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Jets coach Todd Bowles said CB Darrelle Revis has the freedom to play press-man or "off" coverage on each play; it's his choice. Bowles said he trusts Revis because he's "pretty sharp." Does every corner have that freedom? "Not everyone," Bowles said. "He does." Revis gave a cushion to A.J. Green on a handful of completions on Sunday.

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

I heard Bowles say the same thing in hi spresser yesterday.  More comments from Cimini -- wonder the same thing about Revis confidence if he is choosing to play off.

How bout he's playing off because he no longer has the wheels or reactions to avoid getting juked out of his jock and burned.  

Archived