Are we more dominant without Sheldon Richardson in the lineup?

CobraVerde

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think OP is misreading the situation.  First, Sheldon is playing a different position this year than last year.  Last year he was a straight-up OLB.  Bowles switched to a base 4-3 this year and has Sheldon playing weak side DE, where he can manhandle finesse LTs and worry less about containing the edge run.  I like it.

The Jets game plan tonight was to not sell out for the sack, but instead focus on containing Taylor and making him throw from the pocket.  It was a good game plan, they gave up 24 points after adjusting for the Bills defensive TD, which isn't an abomination for a shootout type of game with 2 deep ball TDs on miscues by the secondary.  Don't misread it as Sheldon not playing well.  Sheldon made a big stop on 4th and 1 tonight too.

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Are you kidding me? Leonard Williams? 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

First time watching football?

Sheldon is the more athletic, explosive and instinctive football player.  You can prefer Williams because he seems like a good kid while Sheldon is a knucklehead and trouble maker but that doesn't change those basic facts. 

3 minutes ago, JetsFan12 said:

Sheldon is the more athletic, explosive and instinctive football player.  You can prefer Williams because he seems like a good kid while Sheldon is a knucklehead and trouble maker but that doesn't change those basic facts. 

I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that Sheldon is a better 3-technique DT than Leo, but both are so dominant that the difference between the two isn't much.  Sheldon is the more adaptable, versatile player and by putting him at weak side DE you get the elite talents of both players on the field at once.  I'd say doing that is a "net positive" as opposed to having just Sheldon on the field as the 3 technique, no?

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

I don't necessarily disagree that Sheldon is a better 3-technique than Leo, but both are so dominant that the difference between the two isn't much.  Sheldon is the more adaptable, versatile player and by putting him at weak side DE you get the elite talents of both players on the field at once.  I'd say doing that is a "net positive" as opposed to having just Sheldon on the field as the 3 technique, no?

I'm just saying Williams should be the more expendable one considering his recent high draft pick and no reported off field stuff artificially raise his value despite him being a being a significantly less gifted player than Sheldon.

11 minutes ago, JetsFan12 said:

Yeah. Williams is great but Sheldon is basically a unicorn. 

13 minutes ago, JetsFan12 said:

I'm just saying Williams should be the more expendable one considering his recent high draft pick and no reported off field stuff artificially raise his value despite him being a being a significantly less gifted player than Sheldon.

"significantly less gifted"?  hell no

31 minutes ago, JetsFan12 said:

The fact that doesn't change is Sheldon isn't more explosive or more instinctive.  You just like him better

56 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah. Williams is great but Sheldon is basically a unicorn. 

Williams can grow into being a very solid player who could possibly make a few pro-bowls.  Sheldon with his head on straight is a game changing, defense uplifting talent.  And he's only 25... 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No I don't.  

PAnd I'll bet anything that as soon as LW learns the NFL game there will be no comparison.  He bigger, faster, more of a threat. 

There's no way you can say he's faster, and Sheldon is a lot stronger with tons of more agility.

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I think OP is misreading the situation.  First, Sheldon is playing a different position this year than last year.  Last year he was a straight-up OLB.  Bowles switched to a base 4-3 this year and has Sheldon playing weak side DE, where he can manhandle finesse LTs and worry less about containing the edge run.  I like it.

The Jets game plan tonight was to not sell out for the sack, but instead focus on containing Taylor and making him throw from the pocket.  It was a good game plan, they gave up 24 points after adjusting for the Bills defensive TD, which isn't an abomination for a shootout type of game with 2 deep ball TDs on miscues by the secondary.  Don't misread it as Sheldon not playing well.  Sheldon made a big stop on 4th and 1 tonight too.

This. It was all about keeping the lanes closed. We'll get to see the sacks again against pure pocket passers.

7 hours ago, CaliforniaJet said:

Why? Because we didnt get 7 sacks? Different QB we faced today, not saying he is better than Dalton by any means, but he is hard to get. Lets see in a couple of weeks. 

Tons of tackles behind line of scrimmage, QB hurries, and play that should have resulted in sacks if not for Buffalo OL holding (called and uncalled).

54 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Williams is a power player.  Richardson is definitely more athletic and explosive.

I just don't see it.  They're both so athletic.  Don't see Richardson having an advantage. Either way he's trying to make the point that Richardson is much better player.  Less gifted is what I think he said.  And expendable 

24 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

This.  This is a silly thread looking for something to complain about.

Hint: the defensive line is not it.

Yes.  I have been down on M Williams, but he certainly came up with a big play on that interception, and it was great as far as I am concerned that it came with him playing man.

And Skrine had that nice pass defended in the end zone.

But... the secondary on the whole was bad.  Not just Revis, how about Miles letting Salas (?) get behind him?  Yikes that was awful.  And was Pryor even in the game?

Well at least M. Williams made that play.

Just now, Big Blocker said:

Yes.  I have been down on M Williams, but he certainly came up with a big play on that interception, and it was great as far as I am concerned that it came with him playing man.

And Skrine had that nice pass defended in the end zone.

But... the secondary on the whole was bad.  Not just Revis, how about Miles letting Salas (?) get behind him?  Yikes that was awful.  And was Pryor even in the game?

Well at least M. Williams made that play.

The secondary is a completely valid gripe on this team.

Archived