Continuity

Jetster

Amazing what can be accomplished when you have it. How many "systems" has this Jet team been through since 2002? I've always wanted a team that could execute a play so well on offense that even when the opposing team knows what your doing...they can't stop it.

How cool were those drives Thursday night? How much fun was it to see back to back, back shoulder throws, the hardest play to defend in the NFL. How sweet was it to see Forte gliding along the LOS then BOOM, picks an opening & gets 7 yards. 

Then seeing Decker go off..then Marshall...chunks of yards eaten up at a time. Then lo & behold our rookie UDFA makes 2 big catches. This REALLY bodes well going forward. It's a known fact when opposing teams watch film & have to practice for SO MUCH STUFF it confuses them. Your brain will tell you one thing that you think is coming & wham, it's a sprint draw to Enunwa or J.Marshall. Or you REACT to a fake but it's going the other way. Or you don't react & it is coming at you back your back peddling and can't recover.

Fitz really, really showed me something Thursday. I know he's a journeyman but the guy has the MIND to run Gaileys offense. Just 2 games so far but there were a few plays he hurried for no reason & made the wrong decision. He seems like the kind of guy that will learn from it & be looking for that again. The shovel to Bilal, where Decker was WIDE OPEN in the flat 5 yards beyond. What I really love is that when you have that many weapons your NEVER OUT OF A GAME. The opposing team is NEVER comfortable. The Jets now have some "pet" plays that are difficult to defend. They force a defense to HAVE TO play a certain way to stop it. It's called DICTATING. When have we ever been DICTATORS when playing teams in our own division like the Pats? BB use to be able to scare Geno just by guys feigning they were coming. Same with Sanchez, these guys made DCs jobs EASY! Well at least we can say that sh*t is over with Fitz in his 2nd year in this system, with these players. You can tell he has faith in these young guys too, Quincy & Jalen. Marshall & Decker are already in sync & Forte will just get more comfortable.

Imagine being Fitz with these veterans in the huddle telling him what they're seeing. How invaluable is that to young guys like Quincy & Jalen being around these guys. It's a great mix. The one thing that was disappointing was losing Khiry, I thought he could be our muscle. One more great offseason could really solidify this team. This season is gonna be really fun though, even with our warts.

Now we have talent and continuity.  when we had the great '98 season we lost Vinny game 1 of '99 and Chrebet for the first 6 weeks then we traded Keyshawn after that season.  After the O had a great 2nd half in 2002 we let Coles go, after we got it going w/ Moss and co in 2004 we traded Moss after that season.  2010 we had a ton of talent and after that season we let Braylon and Cotch go.  It is nice to see all this talent come back in the same system for a 2nd year.  Of course we did add one big piece in Forte but he is perfect for this O.

I was not a fan of the Chan Gailey hire at the time but the guy in my  eyes has been down right brilliant.  The OC of any team gets more grief that any other coach but he has been everything he was advertised imo.  The fact the Jets have scored at least 17 points in every  single game he has coached the jets so far means we have had a chance to win every single game.

What you guys don't miss the 9-6 and 12-9 losses? LOL - funny we all thought our D would carry us; it looks like, certainly against certain teams, this offense could be a juggernaut. Wait? I thought that wasn't possible with a defensively minded HC? Jets just have to keep getting better and find a way to continually win the close games.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I was not a fan of the Chan Gailey hire at the time but the guy in my  eyes has been down right brilliant.  The OC of any team gets more grief that any other coach but he has been everything he was advertised imo.  The fact the Jets have scored at least 17 points in every  single game he has coached the jets so far means we have had a chance to win every single game.

I was the same way.  When it was announced I said Chan Gailey?  Are you kidding me?  Well hard do be more wrong.  The only people killing his calls are the type who blame the OC whenever a play doesn't work.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I was the same way.  When it was announced I said Chan Gailey?  Are you kidding me?  Well hard do be more wrong.  The only people killing his calls are the type who blame the OC whenever a play doesn't work.  

Too bad for Rex he couldn't fire our OC before the game, because the O made his vaulted D look stupid. Would love to see Roman join a team and embarrass Rex's defense again this year...

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is exactly how I feel about Gailey. 

Look, I'm as excited as anyone to be 1-1 and seeing the offense firing on all cylinders on a short week but lets not get ahead of ourselves.  The Buffalo Bills are ******* god awful, void of any legitimate talent, they fired their OC and are now having team meetings to discuss that firing that exclude the Head Coach.

While it was great getting a win, beating the Buffalo Bills shouldnt give anyone unwavering confidence in the Jets.  The Jets have a lot of work to do.

7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

For the first time in my Jets-watching life, I enjoy watching the offense. 

not merely this - i finally have faith in the offense.  it's not that i always expect them to win, or to score.  but i have faith they can score.  i have faith they aren't dogging it.  i have faith they're locked in and raring to go.  i have faith that the gm has guys waiting on the bench who can also get it done.

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

For the first time in my Jets-watching life, I enjoy watching the offense. 

Lol. Even with Parcells here our #2 WR was I believe Dedrick Ward? Now our #2 is Eric Decker, and already you can tell Enunwa will be way better than Ward. Hell, I think Jalen & Robbie will be better than Ward.

I can't believe I've ever uttered these words referring to the Jets offense.."these boys are going off", lol.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Lol. Even with Parcells here our #2 WR was I believe Dedrick Ward? Now our #2 is Eric Decker, and already you can tell Enunwa will be way better than Ward. Hell, I think Jalen & Robbie will be better than Ward.

I can't believe I've ever uttered these words referring to the Jets offense.."these boys are going off", lol.

and anything devin smith provides...

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Look, I'm as excited as anyone to be 1-1 and seeing the offense firing on all cylinders on a short week but lets not get ahead of ourselves.  The Buffalo Bills are ******* god awful, void of any legitimate talent, they fired their OC and are now having team meetings to discuss that firing that exclude the Head Coach.

While it was great getting a win, beating the Buffalo Bills shouldnt give anyone unwavering confidence in the Jets.  The Jets have a lot of work to do.

Perhaps, but it's not just last Thursday's game.  The simple truth is that 18 games into Chan's Jet tenure as OC, the offense has been mostly a success overall and very consistent.  Credit goes to the talent we've accumulated on offense, but it has to go to Chan as well. 

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but in each of those 18 games, the offense has put up at least 17 points.  It's easy to shrug that off, and suggest that every offense should be capable of doing that in today's NFL, until you factor in that there has literally been no other team in the NFL that has done that in that stretch.  Not one outside of the Jets. 

We went from one of the NFL's biggest laughing stocks on offense to arguably the league's most consistent offense.  Mind you, that does not mean we have an elite offense, but it's definitely the most consistent in the league since Chan took over.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

When the quarterback is a spicy Mexican chick, sure. When the quarterback's a frumpy nerd the OC gets the credit.

You must have missed the wailing on here in the cincy game about all the awful calls in the red zone.  The moment the offense goes  south the OC is the pinata.   The OC has to take any poor play by a QB, even if he is shi* plus the game plan, plus the play calls.  As lousy as Shotty was for us he should have been pitied more than anything having to put up with 1s year dunder head QB's

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps, but it's not just last Thursday's game.  The simple truth is that 18 games into Chan's Jet tenure as OC, the offense has been a success overall and very consistent.  Credit goes to the talent we've accumulated on offense, but it has to go to Chan as well. 

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but in each of those 18 games, the offense has put up at least 17 points.  It's easy to shrug that off, and suggest that every offense should be capable of doing that in today's NFL, until you factor in that there has literally been no other team in the NFL that has done that in that stretch.  Not one outside of the Jets. 

wow.  it means they're basically in every game.

29 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Too bad for Rex he couldn't fire our OC before the game, because the O made his vaulted D look stupid. Would love to see Roman join a team and embarrass Rex's defense again this year...

That would be payback.  Lol

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

wow.  it means they're basically in every game.

Exactly.  We're in a position to win nearly every game.  Only once in that 18-game stretch have we lost by double digits, and that was the Raider game when Fitz got hurt.  That's the only time we haven't had a shot in the Macc/Bowles/Chan/Fitz era thus far. 

We've also had 5 games where we WON by double digits, and almost added to that list last Thursday if Buffalo hadn't scored late.

Again, it's not necessarily something to admire, but it is noteworthy. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I am excited about the performance we saw..it was def. impressive and Fitz looked as good as i've ever seen him..BUT....

It was one game, coming off a game where the offense didn't look good at all...Let's see how they do in KC....if they move the ball well there then I'll buy in.

the positive is the O did not look good week 1 and we still scored 22 points. if that is a bad performance I will gladly take it.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps, but it's not just last Thursday's game.  The simple truth is that 18 games into Chan's Jet tenure as OC, the offense has been a success overall and very consistent.  Credit goes to the talent we've accumulated on offense, but it has to go to Chan as well. 

We went from one of the NFL's biggest laughing stocks on offense to arguably the league's most consistent offense.  Mind you, that does not mean we have an elite offense, but it's definitely the most consistent since Chan took over.

That's great but if it doesnt equate to wins, like week 1, then it doesnt mean anything.

With an offense this loaded, it should be an every week thing they score like that.  We have 30 foot tall child eating monsters.  I'm not saying we should go undefeated but you shouldnt be losing to the Bengals at home struggling to score in the Red Zone.

So, going off vs. Buffalo is great but it's 1 game vs. a very poor Football team.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

That's great but if it doesnt equate to wins, like week 1, then it doesnt mean anything.

With an offense this loaded, it should be an every week thing they score like that.  We have 30 foot tall child eating monsters.  I'm not saying we should go undefeated but you shouldnt be losing to the Bengals at home struggling to score in the Red Zone.

So, going off vs. Buffalo is great but it's 1 game vs. a very poor Football team.

It's led to 11 wins so far.  With a little better defense in Week 1, we're 2-0.  I don't think you can argue that the offense was the bigger problem that day when Dalton threw for nearly 400 yards, was it?

This is half glass full vs empty stuff right here, my man.  By and large the offense has done its job under Chan.  We couldn't say that about this team's offense since what, 1998?

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I liked Dedric Ward. He was sneaky good. This by far is the deepest roster of WR's I have ever seen on a NY Jets team. 

Lac is also bailing us out when we sputter. 

Chan's biggest two achievements are #1 continuity and #2 changing his game to fit the players (which probably feeds into #1). Look what he has done with Fitz (for the second time) and now what he has done with Q. He basically 'invented' a new position on the team for him.

The last group of OC's all tried to mold the players to the system and one just wanted to outsmart the world.

Give Bowles credit. He hired a good OC and didn't dictate terms (like you must be ground and pound - or play good enough to stay in the game in the 4th). They both preach discipline and practice, game plan for each opponent, and Chan has showed the ability to adjust his game plan.

Last season my concern about the O was that the team had no reliable options in the passing game after Marshall and Decker.  The trope on Gailey was that he did not incorporate the TE in the passing attack, and that certainly seemed the case last year, too.  But was that him or the available personnel?

The Jets have essentially done nothing to upgrade TE, and that still concerns me.  But the Forte move should give more options at RB in the passing game, and most of all Enunwa is looking more and more like a dependable option at 3rd wideout.  Let's see how this develops before we declare the problems all solved, and looming down the road remains the big issue of who will be the Qb after Fitzpatrick serves his interim purpose.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

It was Key & Chrebet

Ward was the 3rd outside burner option

those 3 were all dialed in & beautiful to watch '98

1 hour ago, peebag said:

We haven't won anything yet.  I'll reserve my opinion until the end of the season.

You must hate football. Your like the Debbie Downer of Jet fans. Isn't this a forum to discuss what we're witnessing each week? I'm not going to comment on the Jets success so far on a Jet message board cause the seasons not over for me to tell you I told you so.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I am excited about the performance we saw..it was def. impressive and Fitz looked as good as i've ever seen him..BUT....

It was one game, coming off a game where the offense didn't look good at all...Let's see how they do in KC....if they move the ball well there then I'll buy in.

Look, the vaunted Steelers only put up 24 points against the Bengals. We put up 22 and left plenty more points out there.  Another six points by the kicking team alone.  We were going up and down the field on them all day long.  The offense simply was not THAT BAD in game one no matter how much it suits some narratives to make it seem that way.

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Look, the vaunted Steelers only put up 24 points against the Bengals. We put up 22 and left plenty more points out there.  Another six points by the kicking team alone.  We were going up and down the field on them all day long.  The offense simply was not THAT BAD in game one no matter how much it suits some narratives to make it seem that way.

You really can't look at points to determine how well an offense played when you're looking at potential of the team.  The offense wasn't good in week one.  There's no narrative here.  Fitz was bad - it's just a realistic perspective.

They were very good in week 2 - Fitz was fantastic.  

I'm not sure why having an opinion has to be about an agenda.   I would prefer to temper my expectations understanding that one good game doesn't mean the offense is capable of carrying the defense to the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I thought it was 4 points. Missed EP and FG. What am I forgetting/missing?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's led to 11 wins so far.  With a little better defense in Week 1, we're 2-0.  I don't think you can argue that the offense was the bigger problem that day when Dalton threw for nearly 400 yards, was it?

This is half glass full vs empty stuff right here, my man.  By and large the offense has done its job under Chan.  We couldn't say that about this team's offense since what, 1998?

Are you saying the offense has carried this team to 11 wins under Bowles/Chan?

I think the problems were pretty equally distributed in the Bengals game.  If the offense could have punched it in from the RZ, they win.  If Folk makes a kick etc.  The easier thing to control in any game is your offense and they had a lot of chances.  Defense is harder to dictate in general and they had what 8 sacks and a pick?  So I maybe could argue but I digress. 

As for you last comment, once again I think you're taking a small point I'm trying to make and extrapolating into something larger that I'm not saying.  Never did I question Chan Gailey or what this offense has done under him.  Right now the offense is better than the D. 

I'm simply saying, 1 game vs. a terrible Football team wouldnt fill me with extreme confidence that we're not closer to how they played vs. the Bengals than how they did vs. the Bills.  There was room for improvement from both the players and the coaches in that Bills game ie: fumbles, 6 point turnover, penalties, drops and some silly play calls (shovel pass, twice).  Thats a lot to overcome most games and they dont play the Bills every week.

Archived