Hackenberg still a non-factor for Jets, who took 'Hack' over Dak ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If I thought it would stop you I would. I know better than that.

I know your wrong , everyone on this board knows your wrong, that won't stop you from posting endless non factual nonsense.

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

dude, put some thought into your posting - you muck up so many of these threads with your nonsense.

Bring something to the table besides "Jets suck"

Milliner,Wilson,Gholston,Coples,Sanchez, and this years pick is questionable at this point Lee

P.S peerage I NEVER SAID THE JETS SUCK 

They drafted Hackenberg they can't draft another QB before seeing what they have in him. Sometimes you draft a guy and you go through the process of developing the player. Stop being so impatient. I'd rather them take this approach as opposed to throwing him to the wolves before he's ready. 

30 minutes ago, August said:

They drafted Hackenberg they can't draft another QB before seeing what they have in him. Sometimes you draft a guy and you go through the process of developing the player. Stop being so impatient. I'd rather them take this approach as opposed to throwing him to the wolves before he's ready. 

So how long before we know what we have in hackenburg?  And if we wait the 3 plus years and he fails what do we do?  You know after we have passed on far better QB prospects.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So how long before we know what we have in hackenburg?  And if we wait the 3 plus years and he fails what do we do?  You know after we have passed on far better QB prospects.

They identified their guy and they've conceded that he may need a year or two to sit. In the meantime they also have Petty and if he doesn't show enough they very well might turn to Hackenberg. Who if it comes down to it might be ready to step in if they go in that direction. This year it's about him correcting his mechanics and watching from the sidelines and watching film and learning the speed of the game. Next year he'll probably be in the mix for the starting job. Either way nothing in life is guaranteed but this is a refreshing approach as opposed to throwing him out there before he's ready. Granted I wasn't a fan of the Hackenberg pick but he's a Jet so he has my 100% support. 

3 hours ago, August said:

They drafted Hack when they already had Geno and Petty without seeing what they had in the latter. If there is a QB worth drafting at any time in the 2017 draft, Hack isn't going to be a deterrent. And he shouldn't be. That's just a bad way of doing business. The Jets need a QB, no stone goes unturned finding him. 

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They drafted Hack when they already had Geno and Petty without seeing what they had in the latter. If there is a QB worth drafting at any time in the 2017 draft, Hack isn't going to be a deterrent. And he shouldn't be. That's just a bad way of doing business. The Jets need a QB, no stone goes unturned finding him. 

If they feel there is a QB they like then by all means take him. But you can't keep drafting quarterbacks every year you have to identify your guy and do what it takes to develop him and put him in a position to succeed.  

On 11/15/2016 at 10:15 AM, rex-n-effect said:

Sure, in hindsight Prescott would have been among the top two draft picks. Every team passed on him four times and many, including us, picked up QBs who have done less for their team--including top pick Goff and late first rounder Lynch. If you want to specifically criticize our front office for not taking Prescott then you either need to explain how we are any different from every other team.

Because we're ALWAYS missing out on these QB's, even when we have realistic opportunities to grab them.

2012:  Passed on Russell Wilson in the 2nd round partly because of Mark Sanchez's presence.

2014:  Took Calvin Pryor, missing out on Derek Carr, partly because of Geno Smith's presence.  

And now we have Hackenberg over Prescott.

3 different GM's.  Zero ability to properly evaluate QB's and/or have the balls to take one.  Common denominator:  Woody Johnson.  

30 minutes ago, August said:

If they feel there is a QB they like then by all means take him. But you can't keep drafting quarterbacks every year you have to identify your guy and do what it takes to develop him and put him in a position to succeed.  

I have zero faith in this regime to be able to find that guy and put a winning team around him. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because we're ALWAYS missing out on these QB's, even when we have realistic opportunities to grab them.

2012:  Passed on Russell Wilson in the 2nd round partly because of Mark Sanchez's presence.

2014:  Took Calvin Pryor, missing out on Derek Carr, partly because of Geno Smith's presence.  

And now we have Hackenberg over Prescott.

3 different GM's.  Zero ability to properly evaluate QB's and/or have the balls to take one.  Common denominator:  Woody Johnson.  

This is constructed entirely on hindsight. It's not like each of these players were obvious choices like when we took O'Brien over Marino. Otherwise each would have gone early in the first round. 

7 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

This is constructed entirely on hindsight. It's not like each of these players were obvious choices like when we took O'Brien over Marino. Otherwise each would have gone early in the first round. 

I don't care.  It's up to the front office to find us a QB, something we haven't had since Namath.  We have every right to blame them for continued failures.  And primarily our owner for hiring numbskulls at every turn. 

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, in his second season on the job, hitched his reputation to Christian Hackenberg by drafting the Penn State quarterback in the second round this year. 

The Jets knew Hackenberg was a project whose throwing mechanics might need to be overhauled after the 2016 season. But they liked his potential — and still do.Amid all the hand-wringing over whether Ryan Fitzpatrick or Bryce Petty will start against the Patriots after the bye week is this reality: Hackenberg is not a factor to play right now, and it's not clear when he will be. 

Maccagnan said this week he doesn't want to put a timetable on Hackenberg's development, even though the Jets are currently guaranteed to have just Hackenberg and Petty under contract in 2017, among quarterbacks. 

Hackenberg's potential is why Maccagnan picked him in the second round — higher than many observers believed he would have been (or should have been) picked."It's really [about] the player he eventually develops into, and that's really what you have to focus on," Maccagnan said. "We feel good about him. But we also want to make sure we don't set a timetable in there to what he may eventually be. Our goal is to develop him, and if he can fulfill his potential then obviously that's good for us.

"At the end of the day, we look at our players' development. I don't think necessarily if a player is playing or isn't playing necessarily means [that he won't become] the player he may eventually develop into. You don't really know in time."But I do think we like Christian. There are a lot of things about him [we like]. We see a lot of potential in him. We knew going in there were things he needed to improve upon.

"The idea was simply if we were going to take a quarterback in some point in time, to have them in the pipeline to develop. [Petty's] improvement in one year to the next has been ... he's made quite a bit of improvement. The same thing would hold true for Christian going forward." 

Maccagnan better hope so. 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/mike_maccagnan_christian_hackenberg.html#incart_river_index

This whole mechanics bit is very annoying for me.  Either you need to overhaul them or not and with such an investment in the player, someone, anyone should have made that determination after seeing him in camp.  Then he could be working on those adjustments all year this year, you know his 'red shirt' year.

If I hear in camp next year, oh, we now want to overhaul his mechanics which = another full year dicking around then I'll conclude the disconnect between gm and coaches is so big that one or the other has to go.

it's a little tough to see guys like prescott or siemian or osweiler or lynch or wentz or garafalo, or now goff having some success without a whole lot of experience.  probably a lot of these teams would rather have had kept the young qb on the bench for a longer time.  prescott is starting because romo went down.  so why not either hackenberg or petty?  i guess petty is the guy now but why not hack?  and no excuse about mechanics.  the players is either going to play the game and earn or not.  using mechanics is not an excuse.  and if it was, then he should've been picked later.

Rookie Dak in Dallas is what Rookie Sanchez was supposed to be with the Jets.  Best O-line and running game in the NFL.  Difference is, Dak is completing almost 70 percent of his passes and won't throw 20 INT's like Sanchez did.

On 11/15/2016 at 10:12 AM, NoBowles said:

Prescott was handed a throwback Oline, and a fantastic running back. If anyone thinks he would be doing this on the Jets under Gailey they are delusional. 

The Cowboys also drafted that fantastic running back in the same draft they drafted Prescott in. 

Chan Gailey is terrible.

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Cowboys also drafted that fantastic running back in the same draft they drafted Prescott in. 

Chan Gailey is terrible.

Im not a big fan of Gailey. I think he has a pretty nice scheme, but I think his play calling is very bad most of the time. There is a reason he was out of football

Like if we had drafted Dak, Bowles would have had sense enough to start him over Fitz or Petty....RIIIGHT. The jury is still out on Hack only because he hasn't taken an NFL snap. He could very well be as good as Dak, inept coaching decisions will always trump talent.

Archived