Bowles: Fitz is Still the Starter…Still

JetNation

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I think it's pride. If Fitz completely sh*t the bed yesterday, I dont think he would have had a choice

at what point can the gm actually prepare for the future?  

maybe in the end all this means is that petty is so bad and he won't be on the roster next year.  

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

It doesn't make any sense. Whether or not they think Petty has 'it', they spent a 4th round pick and have used a roster spot to carry him this far. Fitz is gone in 2017. Give Petty a few games - with no leash- and see what he can do. If he falls on his face, at least your suspicions are confirmed. But keeping him on the bench does nothing for this team in 2016 or 2017.

On the plus side, Bowles not starting Petty at least confirms what most of us have suspected over the last 18 months: that he is not equipped with the intestinal fortitude or mental capacity to be a Head Coach in the NFL.

Just now, phill1c said:

LOL

No, Todd, it hasn't reached that point yet.

LOL

the 'yet' part is the best.  they're 3-8, last in their division, they still have to play the pats on the road, there are only 2 teams in the afc worse than they are.  but don't worry, we're not in desperation mode 'yet'.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

the 'yet' part is the best.  they're 3-8, last in their division, they still have to play the pats on the road, there are only 2 teams in the afc worse than they are.  but don't worry, we're not in desperation mode 'yet'.

If Clemson or Washington lose their conference championship games this weekend, the Jets may sneak into the 4 team playoff.B)

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Well, aside from the late game-clinching turnovers and all the INTs, he's not actually playing that badly. They can do more with him. Hey, he's not giving jobs away (except his own).

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I defended Bowles in another thread, saying that the Patriot loss wasn't his fault and I stand by that.

But to continue to play Fitz at this point is selfish s.hit. Won't care if he gets fired if he continues to play him.

Who cares if the Pats loss was his fault or not. The game was meaningless and we lost a chance to see Petty develop. Now in an attempt to salvage his career, he is throwing Fitzfumble back out there to be borderline competent and give this team a chance to win games it should be trying to lose. 

Bowles is a selfish moron. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So why was he on the roster this year? They had Fitz/Geno/Hack. Why carry Petty if you know he sucks? What was the benefit? It makes zero sense. The only reason to carry 4 Qbs is because you thought Petty and Hack could both emerge as a player. 

This is a coaching staff afraid to take a chance. Plain and simple. Fitz gives these guys the best chance at looking competent.

By most accounts he was on the cut bubble, had a couple of reasonable pre-season games so he made the team.  A lot has changed between August and now. 

Knowing both Geno and Fitz would be gone next year - my guess is they viewed him a potential competent, cheap back-up...but I think it's unlikely they even see him as that right now.

Just now, phill1c said:

Well, aside from the late game-clinching turnovers and all the INTs, he's not actually playing that badly. They can do more with him. Hey, he's not giving jobs away (except his own).

the problem is, there does not appear to be any plan for the future, while the present completely sucks.  the team started out in 'win now' mode with all these overpaid vets.  now they're 3-8 with 2nd and 4th round qbs who by most counts are nowhere near ready, and they're the only 2 qbs under contract next year.  

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

By most accounts he was on the cut bubble, had a couple of reasonable pre-season games so he made the team.  A lot has changed between August and now. 

Knowing both Geno and Fitz would be gone next year - my guess is they viewed him a potential competent, cheap back-up...but I think it's unlikely they even see him as that right now.

What? No chance. He was hurt the first few weeks of the season. Was given a game to play. Didn't look great, but didn't look awful and they are ready to move on? Really? Either you have no idea what you are talking about, or the Jets are so incompetent at player evaluation that they didn't know what Petty was after having him for all of last year and all of preseason. 

Edit to add that they kept FOUR QBs on their roster the entire season despite knowing that Petty was a borderline backup QB in this league and now is just hot garbage after 1 start that wasn't even that bad????

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Petty is NOT the guy....Bowles and the front office already know this.  He will not be on the roster next year so he's not going to start.  

He'll likely get a shot at the end of the year for a couple of games just to prove the coaches right...he'll suck and then he'll be cut. 

Then you shouldn't have been on the roster this year!!!

Why WASTE a roster spot on a guy you can't put in the game! When you just drafted a player in Hacket who also can't play in a game!!!!

Just embarrassing!!!

Archived