Petty needs help

Jetster

14 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

As much as I think the OL needs help, I tend to agree that if one puts aside the Qb issue, CB is the unit most in need of help.

I hear this draft is deep at CB. I'm all for going after Gilmore as the #1, start Burris on the other side, use Roberts, demote Shrine to dime & maybe draft another CB.

I think if the Jets want to really fix this defense, they should go strong for 2 defensive free agents, Jamie Collins & Gilmore. Then in the draft if a big time edge rusher falls... boom. Might take 2 drafts to completely revamp the Oline. They might have to sign an aging vet at LT as a bridge. Macc has a lot of work to do & not enough picks to do it.

Petty needs help. Yes. Especially help from the O-Line. I don't care how good a QB is if the O-Line can't protect him he's gonna get sacked and not look good. Andrew Luck has been sacked 37 times this year. Is Luck a good QB? Yes. Is he holding on to the ball too long? No. I've seen Petty going through progressions when he's not running for his life. What's positive is seeing him make good throws in clutch situations. As I said in other posts he only has 2 starts. What I see is a QB that has good potential to be a starter with more game time experience and some better protection up front.  

22 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Petty needs help. Yes. Especially help from the O-Line. I don't care how good a QB is if the O-Line can't protect him he's gonna get sacked and not look good. Andrew Luck has been sacked 37 times this year. Is Luck a good QB? Yes. Is he holding on to the ball too long? No. I've seen Petty going through progressions when he's not running for his life. What's positive is seeing him make good throws in clutch situations. As I said in other posts he only has 2 starts. What I see is a QB that has good potential to be a starter with more game time experience and some better protection up front.  

Its not an enviable place to be as a young QB playing behind 2 backup tackles. I think Wesley is holding his own & getting better. He's got big ol Suh on Saturday, looking forward to see how he holds up. Winters has actually played well vs Suh in his short career. If they can give Petty time the Jets WRs should be open all over the place! Maxwell is horrible!

OL should be our number one priority this offseason.  I don't know how Macc can't even say otherwise.  He should grab the best LT he can find although it doesn't seem to be a draft heavy on them.  This "looking for quality later in the draft" crap just won't work this year.  I have actually been surprised by some of the backup lineman we have had.  They haven't done that bad a job.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mark got the fear forever put into him in 2011 against the Ravens and he was never the same guy. I hope to god our O-line doesn't make Petty forever jittery like that

Thank you... Thank you.... Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People forget that hit and Sanchez was in fact NEVER the same after the Ravens game!!

The OL was awful that year and people kept saying that Sanchez was the reason why Wayne Hunter wasn't performing.... A joke!!!

IMO an OL, and a good one, is the life line of effective offensive performance.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

People forget that hit and Sanchez was in fact NEVER the same after the Ravens game!!

The OL was awful that year and people kept saying that Sanchez was the reason why Wayne Hunter wasn't performing.... A joke!!!

that was the night Mangold was out and we put a guy at C who was not ready to play and was soon out of the league.  he got killed that night

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It really was THAT obvious that the Ravens basically killed Sanchez's soul that night. He was mentally done after that massacre. I remember thinking it that yearand in 2012. I was shocked to seeso many people on here agree over the years that the Ravens game ruined him.

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

It really was THAT obvious that the Ravens basically killed Sanchez's soul that night. He was mentally done after that massacre. I remember thinking it that yearand in 2012. I was shocked to seeso many people on here agree over the years that the Ravens game ruined him.

Terrell Suggs single handily destroyed his confidence and pocket composure.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

That game was where I knew the Jets ship was sinking officially and bad years were coming...

to be fair we did bounce back, played a decent game at NE and eventually were 8-5 w/ a favorable sched down the stretch but then we collapsed.

You're all full of sh*t.  The very next game he played pretty well against the Pats and the next three (all wins).  We didn't all lose faith until the Tebow disgrace and that horror show against Philly.  The guy was never the same?  He was the same QB he was against Miami and Green Bay in 2010 and Buffalo and New Orleans in 2009.  They didn't ruin him.  He never was. 

EDIT:  Okay you aren't all full of sh*t.  nyjunc isn't full of sh*t.  Well, to be fair, he is full of sh*t, just not about this. 

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

to be fair we did bounce back, played a decent game at NE and eventually were 8-5 w/ a favorable sched down the stretch but then we collapsed.

Yeah, but the lack of order and no plan if Mangold got hurt. It just looked like a mess, and I knew we were pretenders.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Most won't believe it but I think it helped change Sanchez' career. 

he still had moments for us, I still think it was the lack of talent around him that hurt him as he played well in Philly when they had a lot of talent 2 years ago but I can see your point.

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

So, I guess you're saying that Gailey and Bowles have shown they have the skill to develop Petty?  My guess is that you "watch" our games in braille. 

Considering Gaileys history, yes.

More than the what your mystical, unknown, HC candidate and his mystical, unknown OC have proven.

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

the oline has been a problem but petty also needs to read the defense and make his throws faster.  many times he was just sitting there and the 49er player would come in and sack him.

I doubt Petty is doing much checking off when he reads a defense. He is pretty much running what is called.

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

OL should be our number one priority this offseason.  I don't know how Macc can't even say otherwise.  He should grab the best LT he can find although it doesn't seem to be a draft heavy on them.  This "looking for quality later in the draft" crap just won't work this year.  I have actually been surprised by some of the backup lineman we have had.  They haven't done that bad a job.

Not sure if Armstead-Saints, Schaeder- Falcons or Glenn-Bills will be on the market next year but they are all FA in 2017. All good Tackles. Should try to get a Vet and a good draft or 2. 

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Not sure if Armstead-Saints, Schaeder- Falcons or Glenn-Bills will be on the market next year but they are all FA in 2017. All good Tackles. Should try to get a Vet and a good draft or 2. 

Saints resigned Armstead for 5 years. Cordy Glenn has a bad back so they may have to go with a B type LT.

Remove deas weight from roster. Sign best available Olinemen and Secondary players available, all to Mac-like deals, short and easy to get out of after a couple of years. 

Keep #15 & #87 for one more year. (Gives Petty experienced guys to help his development.) 

Draft BPA.

See what happens.

What I heard from Petty in Newsday today was an encouraging sign and shows some self awareness. He took fault for the sacks saying in the first half he didn't trust his reads and hesitated too much took too long leading to sacks. I mean if he can fix this it says he's an NFL Qb. Because six sacks is too many.

20 hours ago, Jetster said:

they should go strong for 2 defensive free agents, Jamie Collins & Gilmore.

I agree on this 100%.

Gilmore simply b/c he is a man-press CB who plays tough and is the top, young FA CBs available. I'm not in love with him as a player. He's not one of the premiere CBs in the league, so I would not break the bank for him, but the Jets really need a guy like that. If Rex gets fired, they may decide to let Gilmore walk, otherwise I think Rex will do everything in his power to keep him. 

J.Collins on the other hand is worth breaking the bank for. Of course, I'm not taking astronomical numbers, but I would give him a monster deal as a top pass rusher can expect to get. And to get him, the Jets will need to outbid the Browns, who already gave up a draft pick just to get an edge to re-sign him. He may not BE one of the top Pass Rushers in the league but he is versatile, young but in his prime and would fit very nicely in the Jets defense. With Wilk, L.Williams, McLendon at NT the O-line will be preoccupied for Collins to run wild as a pass rusher. His production should increase. Hopefully he sees the Jets as having a better defensive front line to play on and that is a factor in his decision making. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

What I heard from Petty in Newsday today was an encouraging sign and shows some self awareness. He took fault for the sacks saying in the first half he didn't trust his reads and hesitated too much took too long leading to sacks. I mean if he can fix this it says he's an NFL Qb. Because six sacks is too many.

Petty did hold the ball to long on several occasions, but in all honesty the O-line was bad,  As the Petty break down articles pointed out, on most plays the 9'ers only rushed 3-4 guys, OL should be able to hold that for a while, they were breaking right in.

Petty seems to be a class guy, he's not going to throw his OL under the bus.  Lets see what happens when a team, maybe the Fins throw everything at him in the blitz book.

I like the kid so far

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

I agree on this 100%.

Gilmore simply b/c he is a man-press CB who plays tough and is the top, young FA CBs available. I'm not in love with him as a player. He's not one of the premiere CBs in the league, so I would not break the bank for him, but the Jets really need a guy like that. If Rex gets fired, they may decide to let Gilmore walk, otherwise I think Rex will do everything in his power to keep him. 

J.Collins on the other hand is worth breaking the bank for. Of course, I'm not taking astronomical numbers, but I would give him a monster deal as a top pass rusher can expect to get. And to get him, the Jets will need to outbid the Browns, who already gave up a draft pick just to get an edge to re-sign him. He may not BE one of the top Pass Rushers in the league but he is versatile, young but in his prime and would fit very nicely in the Jets defense. With Wilk, L.Williams, McLendon at NT the O-line will be preoccupied for Collins to run wild as a pass rusher. His production should increase. Hopefully he sees the Jets as having a better defensive front line to play on and that is a factor in his decision making. 

Your thinking the same way I am! LBs that can't run free end up with 320LB behemoths killing them. Look at what happened to Ray Lewis the year Nagata & a couple of other Ravens Dline got hurt, he had his WORST YEAR! Agree completely on Gilmore, we need a press corner badly. As much as we all know we need Olineman, this Jets team I believe is a 2 year rebuild if we have a QB in Petty or Hack. Say the Jets somehow pulled off a Gilmore/Collins grab, just imagine for a moment that the Jets are on the clock & Jabril Peppers is staring them in the face? How much better is this Jets defense with young CBs like Gilmore, Burris, Roberts, plus 2 fast as sh*t hybrids like Lee & Peppers, with Jamie Collins & Jenkins. Talk about versatility! You could have a Seattle type of defense if Mo comes back completely healthy & hungry in 2017.

Go offense in the 2nd & 3rd, maybe we get another pick for Sheldon? They aren't going to take a RB in the 1st three rounds because they have 8 million in Forte & Powell, plus maybe, just maybe, Khiry Robinson finally gets healthy (he's still a young man). They could go Oline big time in early round after the first.

I would 100% prioritize OL over CB.  In fact, if our first 2 picks are OL, I'll be happy.  Let our QB (whoever he/they are) get a fair chance to show themselves and develop.  If we want to eventually be a good/great team, develop the offense first, and we can always add to the defense later.

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I would 100% prioritize OL over CB.  In fact, if our first 2 picks are OL, I'll be happy.  Let our QB (whoever he/they are) get a fair chance to show themselves and develop.  If we want to eventually be a good/great team, develop the offense first, and we can always add to the defense later.

If theres an average Olineman staring at us @ 5/6/7 I'm taking BPA no matter where who that is other than Dtackle.

18 hours ago, Jetster said:

If theres an average Olineman staring at us @ 5/6/7 I'm taking BPA no matter where who that is other than Dtackle.

Correct. The odds are that either A. The top o-lineman propespect will be there or B. The top O-lineman prospect will go ahead of us, pushing down another premiere player to our selection. And even if it's Allen (a d-lineman) who the Jets probably would not want to draft, it opens up a trade down scenario for whatever team DOES really want Allen- who's a heck of a prospect. 

18 hours ago, Jetster said:

Your thinking the same way I am! LBs that can't run free end up with 320LB behemoths killing them. Look at what happened to Ray Lewis the year Nagata & a couple of other Ravens Dline got hurt, he had his WORST YEAR! Agree completely on Gilmore, we need a press corner badly. As much as we all know we need Olineman, this Jets team I believe is a 2 year rebuild if we have a QB in Petty or Hack. Say the Jets somehow pulled off a Gilmore/Collins grab, just imagine for a moment that the Jets are on the clock & Jabril Peppers is staring them in the face? How much better is this Jets defense with young CBs like Gilmore, Burris, Roberts, plus 2 fast as sh*t hybrids like Lee & Peppers, with Jamie Collins & Jenkins. Talk about versatility! You could have a Seattle type of defense if Mo comes back completely healthy & hungry in 2017.

Go offense in the 2nd & 3rd, maybe we get another pick for Sheldon? They aren't going to take a RB in the 1st three rounds because they have 8 million in Forte & Powell, plus maybe, just maybe, Khiry Robinson finally gets healthy (he's still a young man). They could go Oline big time in early round after the first.

I don;t know how I feel about Peppers and his fit on this team and the value of taking him so high. Yes, he's a fantastic athlete and a great prospect. Yes, he's versatile. But if you are looking for a safety, I prefer Adams. If you are looking for a Pass Rusher, I prefer Tim Williams. If you are looking for an ILB, there's Foster and Cunningham. Peppers is a hybrid. He's a lot like Lee except Lee is more of a LB than safety and Peppers is more of a S than LB. I don;t think you can just line up Lee and Peppers as ILBs. So do you play Peppers at SS. Then what about Pryor? Do you give up on him? I'm just not certain of the fit or even the value taking him that high.

So if the JEts were to somehow bring in Gilmore and Collins. I would go top O-lineman, or simply BPA who could end up being a CB or Pass Rusher who's stock skyrockets. Or even Fournette- despite the fact, as you pointed out, that the Jets are already invested in Forte, Powell, and to a lesser degree Robinson. Fournette is a special player. If he is there for the Jets only a big time trade down offer will sway Macc from taking him, IMO.    

18 hours ago, thshadow said:

I agree but I would point out a couple of things.

1. rookie O-linemen, even if drafted in the 1st round, are not always a sure thing to come in and be the solid presence a young QB needs on the O-line. And this year in particular there is really no sure fire O-lineman. Although I do like Robinson and Ramczyk as possible starters at RT to start their NFL careers. So the Jets will still need to address O-line in FA and bring in a solid veteran to protect the blind side.

2. Everything is connected. Yes, the obvious assumption is that a young QB needs weapons and a good offensive line to develop. But a secondary that can't stop a nosebleed also hurts the QB. He has to play from behind. The play-calling changes. The run game is no longer as effective in keeping the defense honest. PA is no longer as effective. A bad secondary and bad pass rush often force bad field position for the QB. Etc., etc.

So while I agree that the Jets need to draft O-line early and continue bringing in young players that can eventually develop into starters on the O-line. The truth is that they will have to address it in FA for immediate help. And really, the CB position as well. So the draft- especially the Jets first round pick needs to be BPA (who may be an OT). Or of course, they can trade down.  

On 12/14/2016 at 8:45 AM, Jetster said:

After watching replays of the Jets offense the one thing that stood out to me was the awful play of the offensive line. Petty was under way to much duress when the Niners were rushing only three.

Im hoping Jet fans aren't looking at these next 3 games through the eye of a needle regarding Petty. There are so many factors that contribute to the success or failure of each play. Watching the Giants Cowboys game on Sunday night, I specifically zoned in on how much time Zak Prescott had in the pocket. Many times he had 5/6 seconds to scan the field. He was 1 of 15 on 3rd downs. Granted the Giants defense is miles better than the Niners but everything is relative regarding QB play.

The Oline is going have to really step up its game vs the Miami front or Petty won't have a chance. I believe our own defense will be the story of this game because field position will be imperative to our offense confidence. Playing behind our own 20 is a recipe for disaster for a young QB. Chan can take more chances if we can force the Fins to play off the LOS because Petty can push the ball down the field much farther & with more velocity than Fitz. Really, really looking forward to seeing some development with Petty getting all the reps in practice. 

Its going to benefit Petty greatly to get on the same page with Marshall & Enunwa instead of focusing in on Anderson. I'm sure they'll be some ugly football, but I just want to see Petty take charge & see if he can bring some excitement to the offense, that's contagious to the entire offensive unit. Fitz literally sucked the life out of everyone with his weak arm & bad decisions. Just pushing the ball down the field will be exciting for the Jet fans in attendance. Seeing the ball travel 40 yards on a rope is a lot of fun. Good luck Bryce, please don't get hurt behind this crappy Oline.

Zak Prescott is as successful as he is because of the offensive line and the system they play with the running game and the TE.

Archived