5 Depth positions in this draft

CanadaSteve

Been doing some research, and it seems that there are 4 positions that are quite deep in this draft:

CB

RB

Edge Rushers

TE

There is talk in some of the draft circles of RB's going undrafted that are at a 3-4 round talent, and upwards of 10 edge rushers and CB who will grade out at 1st round.

Now, that said, we cannot expect to get 6 starters in this draft.

However, should Jets, and any NFL team, take a strategy of focusing on strengths of each draft, given the limited amount of starting positions on each team, and the need for starters each year?  As an example, you many not need a CB right now, but there is a chance to sign a great player for depth at a cheap cost with starting potential in 2-3 years when you might need a starter.

For instance, the Jets need an LT, a Guard, a Center prospect, TE, another QB prospect, a RB prospect, 2 edge rushers, 2 CB's, and a S.

Unless they want to take a risk at drafting Ryan Ramcyz, there is no clear LT choice.  Center is not deep, but some potential for depth at later rounds.  Guard is looking okay in this draft, but again, later rounds.  Running Back does NOT have to be one of the big three in Fournette, Cook, or McCaffrey.  This could be addressed in rounds 4-5, the key being we have to move down at SOME point to recoup that 4th round pick.

If the Jets can be patient, and the league doesn't go crazy, any one of Kizer, Trubisky, Kaaya, Watson, Falk, or Webb could be potential QB's, but I do not think any of them are worthy of a top ten pick.  If they can wait until the second round and see who falls, even if they trade down to recoup that 4th, they could come away with another decent QB prospect.

So, I come to this.  It won't be popular, but this draft is DEEEEEEEP at both Edge and CB.  If you are the Jets, do you spend early and get top guys, or do you double dip by taking two of each of this deep class if you can, and fix two problems this year, and let next's draft fix at least one other problem 

With a huge need at cb and edge rusher with a deep class like this, I would wait until round 2+. This draft class for OL is very slim. We should pick a top OLinemen and then fill the other positions later with the depth at the cb and edgerusher positions. Other than the qb's, this draft class can turn the Jets around.

.....key word, CAN

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Who knows what our needs will be after free agency. We are going to have to bring on vets for our online and secondary I would think. You can't wait around and hope to draft guys because sometimes you don't get the guy you want and we can't leave a gaping hole at any position hopefully we patch the holes up pretty well and draft bpa

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Been doing some research, and it seems that there are 4 positions that are quite deep in this draft:

CB

RB

Edge Rushers

TE

There is talk in some of the draft circles of RB's going undrafted that are at a 3-4 round talent, and upwards of 10 edge rushers and CB who will grade out at 1st round.

However, should Jets, and any NFL team, take a strategy of focusing on strengths of each draft, given the limited amount of starting positions on each team, and the need for starters each year?  As an example, you many not need a CB right now, but there is a chance to sign a great player for depth at a cheap cost with starting potential in 2-3 years when you might need a starter.

For instance, the Jets need an LT, a Guard, a Center prospect, TE, another QB prospect, a RB prospect, 2 edge rushers, 2 CB's, and a S.

Unless they want to take a risk at drafting Ryan Ramcyz, there is no clear LT choice.  Center is not deep, but some potential for depth at later rounds.  Guard is looking okay in this draft, but again, later rounds.  Running Back does NOT have to be one of the big three in Fournette, Cook, or McCaffrey.  This could be addressed in rounds 4-5, the key being we have to move down at SOME point to recoup that 4th round pick.

If the Jets can be patient, and the league doesn't go crazy, any one of Kizer, Trubisky, Kaaya, Watson, Falk, or Webb could be potential QB's, but I do not think any of them are worthy of a top ten pick.  If they can wait until the second round and see who falls, even if they trade down to recoup that 4th, they could come away with another decent QB prospect.

So, I come to this.  It won't be popular, but this draft is DEEEEEEEP at both Edge and CB.  If you are the Jets, do you spend early and get top guys, or do you double dip by taking two of each of this deep class if you can, and fix two problems this year, and let next's draft fix at least one other problem 

I think if 1 of the 3 RB falls to you in 2nd round it would be hard to pass up.  That also goes for that TE from Alabama.  I do like the OLB from UCLA though..I hope he falls to us in 2nd.

Just why the fug have we drafted mauldin and Jenkins in the 3rd round the last two years?  both 3-4 olb that hardly play that spot and thus don't get any pass rush.

Unless Bowles and Rogers wake up and change some tings any edge rusher we get will be misused.  We need to double dip in the secondary and double dip on the oline.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Just why the fug have we drafted mauldin and Jenkins in the 3rd round the last two years?  both 3-4 olb that hardly play that spot and thus don't get any pass rush.

Unless Bowles and Rogers wake up and change some tings any edge rusher we get will be misused.  We need to double dip in the secondary and double dip on the oline.

it's all about how these guys are being used.  bowles had a really good defense in arizona and it's hard to see why these guys just aren't getting it.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

CB

RB

Edge Rushers

TE

Theres a lot of different ways you can go, And its hard to gauge b/c you really don;t know which prospects will have their draft stock skyrocket and which ones will sink. 

Having said that, my strategy is 2 fold. 

1. You simply take the BPA at the 5th overall pick. Anyone other than DT-Allen and wR-M.Williams (simply b/c of the Jets depth at D-line and WR). Fournette? a QB, an O-lineman, a Pass Rusher, whoever the Jets have highest  their board.  

2- and this is the preferred choice. You trade down and take an O-lineman in the first round (in the teens or early twenties lets say). That way you should still get one of the top OT prospects (a position of not very good depth in the draft). The assumption being that Robinson and McGlinchey are off the board, but maybe Ramcyzk is still there. That way you have additional draft picks (via trade) to address other positions of need that also happen to be deep in this draft- CB, Edge Rusher, TE, RB, pretty much in that order.

IMO- the top 3 OTs are very good prospect. The problem is there is a drop off after that with guys like Dawkins and Davenport who have immense potential but are raw. And after that there is an even bigger drop off, with guys that are suited to be career RTs only or have major holes in their game. Getting one of those top 3 OTs early while adding draft picks would give the Jets a ton of flexibility gong forward in the draft.    

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I don't disagree Beerfish, but are you willing to take Ramcyz at 5?  If we could move down about 5-8 spots and still get him, while picking up extra picks, great!

But that is risky.  I just don't like him at #5.  We could definitely get a guard in the 3-5 round range in this draft.  But OT's are not so hot this year.  Again, if we sign an LT in the off-season, and put in Shell/Qvale at RT, we might get away with drafting a guard and things going right.  Could we dream that Jarvis Harrison could step in and take a Guard spot?

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Who knows what our needs will be after free agency. We are going to have to bring on vets for our online and secondary I would think. You can't wait around and hope to draft guys because sometimes you don't get the guy you want and we can't leave a gaping hole at any position hopefully we patch the holes up pretty well and draft bpa

Of course not....but you have to go from the standpoint of what the needs are currently.  You also can't go into the draft NEEDING a LT when there is only about 2-3 that might be good enough to play the position at the NFL level.  If that is the case, you have to presume you will find something in FA, leaving you to target players that are within the strength of the draft

32 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I don't disagree Beerfish, but are you willing to take Ramcyz at 5?  If we could move down about 5-8 spots and still get him, while picking up extra picks, great!

But that is risky.  I just don't like him at #5.  We could definitely get a guard in the 3-5 round range in this draft.  But OT's are not so hot this year.  Again, if we sign an LT in the off-season, and put in Shell/Qvale at RT, we might get away with drafting a guard and things going right.  Could we dream that Jarvis Harrison could step in and take a Guard spot?

I'd love to move down in this draft, get more picks and double dip.  As a matter of fact I'd be willing to move down a long ways if we could get another 1st rounder next year.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Fire Bowles, Hire Rex

that may be an alternative if rex's defenses were that good.  fact is rex's leaving the ravens didn't knock them back and the buffalo defense is nothing to write home about.  i will say his defense did play better than bowles' has this season.  i don't think i can overstate how much of a cancer sheldon has become and how he has impacted the play of quite a few people.

Funny, this class is deep at CB, edge rusher, TE, and RB; we suck at all of these positions - what are the odds? In all seriousness, if this draft is indeed deep  at these positions, I would expect Mac to bring in some quality players ....

Although I agree with the sentiment that if the draft is deep in one position, you should draft early in the other, I wouldn't want Mac to reach especially in the first, so BPA. No matter how good this draft is, we are still going to need another year to really compete, so don't blow the first round pick on a reach. We aren't likely getting the SB next year anyway.

Personal Opinion:

1. Go Strong to O-line Early (and Often).  Need to net at least two potential legit O-line starters.  if the Draft is not O-line deep, all the more reason to draft them early.

2. Cornerback.  As many as we can select, as high as we can select them, because our DB's are horrible, our pass D amongst the worst in the NFL,  and all have earned being cut with their poor play.

3. Quarterback - Mid-Round prospect, to join Petty & Hack as our three rostered QB's next year.  No recycled veterans to tempt Coaches next year.

4. A Running Back late (if indeed this is a "deep" RB Draft and decent talent is available later at this position).

We cannot fix everything in one year, and we cannot fix everything in one draft.

But if we walk away with Two O-linemen, two cornerbacks, a QB and a RB, I will be very very happy with the PLAN at least.

I'm content to try and fix other needs in Free Agency (like edge rush, presuming we dump some of our existing talent on the D-line).

For FA, I stress LB (speed!), Cornerbacks (yeas more) and more O-line depth help.

We have enough skill at WR to survive a year and not starve any young QB's we play.  We have more than enough talent at D-Line, thats an issue of better scheme (A) and better motivation (B).  But O-line and DB's are horrific and need serious help.   RB needs a hand (for pairing with Powell, Forte must be cut he's horrible).  And for the love of God.....no more Fitzpatricks, Hoyers or their ilk.  Young and up-and-coming or sod off at QB.

Hate to break it to everyone, but this isn't the year to draft an OL round 1. Cam Robinson is looking like the only 1st round talent and many evaluators don't see him as a LT in the future.

An alternative plan would be to bring in Tyrod and Fournette and attempt to replicate Cowboys football. However, finding 2 legit tackles would be a challenge.

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Personal Opinion:

1. Go Strong to O-line Early (and Often).  Need to net at least two potential legit O-line starters.  if the Draft is not O-line deep, all the more reason to draft them early.

2. Cornerback.  As many as we can select, as high as we can select them, because our DB's are horrible, our pass D amongst the worst in the NFL,  and all have earned being cut with their poor play.

3. Quarterback - Mid-Round prospect, to join Petty & Hack as our three rostered QB's next year.  No recycled veterans to tempt Coaches next year.

4. A Running Back late (if indeed this is a "deep" RB Draft and decent talent is available later at this position).

We cannot fix everything in one year, and we cannot fix everything in one draft.

But if we walk away with Two O-linemen, two cornerbacks, a QB and a RB, I will be very very happy with the PLAN at least.

I'm content to try and fix other needs in Free Agency (like edge rush, presuming we dump some of our existing talent on the D-line).

For FA, I stress LB (speed!), Cornerbacks (yeas more) and more O-line depth help.

We have enough skill at WR to survive a year and not starve any young QB's we play.  We have more than enough talent at D-Line, thats an issue of better scheme (A) and better motivation (B).  But O-line and DB's are horrific and need serious help.   RB needs a hand (for pairing with Powell, Forte must be cut he's horrible).  And for the love of God.....no more Fitzpatricks, Hoyers or their ilk.  Young and up-and-coming or sod off at QB.

So the plan is to build an offensive line, with a strong secondary and ignore the quarterback position? I feel as though I've seen this in the not-so-distant past...

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Personal Opinion:

They aren't cutting Forte based on economics. He also wasn't horrible. 

Unless they're drafting a QB in the first round, there's no point. They already have two projects that both need attention and reps. A third makes no sense at all. 

3 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

So the plan is to build an offensive line, with a strong secondary and ignore the quarterback position? I feel as though I've seen this in the not-so-distant past...

And your counter is......what?

Reach for a QB unworthy of a 1st round spot, start him right away behind a porous O-line and a limited running game, and no Defense to backstop?

Think we've seen that tale too.  

Till the QB either proves himself (Petty/Hack) or one realistically drops into our laps (not the 2017 Draft), the best way to build is to build around your biggest weaknesses.

13 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

CB

RB

Edge Rushers

TE

I agree that we won't get 6 starters out of this draft. But we are picking around 5, I would expect that there are at LEAST 2 starters in this draft. Lots of help is needed.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Personal Opinion:

I like the sentiment War, but I just don't think the talent is there for OLINE in this draft.  I personally think we HAVE to sign a legit LT, let Shell and Qvale play it out for the RT, a depth Guard signing, and a Guard in draft to groom.

I hate to say this, but I would love to see a move down that nets us another 3 or 4, and I would be okay with 3/4 picks being CB's and edge rushers.

It's early yet, but I have seen in different mocks ALL the QB's everyone are talking about falling to the second round when we pick (except Trubisky).  IF that happened, I would DEFINITELY take one of them there.  But for the love of God do not take one at 5.  Now, if they moved down to the low 20's, picked up multiple picks, then maybe...:)

Archived