Did we get rid of the chant?

Lot K Tailgaters

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

:D  From Woody, with love.

They were so paper thin the people handing them out were having trouble getting them apart. 

I was surprised to see the souvenir stands not having a blowout sale either in years past they used to discount all the merchandise at the last game. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joewilly12 said:

They were so paper thin the people handing them out were having trouble getting them apart. 

I was surprised to see the souvenir stands not having a blowout sale either in years past they used to discount all the merchandise. 

In our section, if you showed them your card, we got 1$ hot dogs and soda for the first quarter. Now, if it was $1 beer.....

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The crowd yesterday was very subdued the loyal season ticket holders in attendance were tired and aggravated and most seemed happy it was all over. 

The fans I talked to were bitter about the opposing teams fans inundating our stadium weekly and the fans who really arent Jets fans and just in seats to go to a football game.

I saw many fans who didnt have a stitch of Jets clothing on they spent most of the game on their phones and taking selfies and really could careless what was going on, only times they showed any emotion was when the guys shot t-shirts into the crowd which reminds me of minor league baseball games. 

The crowd has changed the atmosphere has changed and for the diehards who are left i hope that all changes once the team starts winning. 

I missed Fireman Ed and the J-E-T-S chant yesterday. 

I think it is a sign of the times; the same thing happened when Gillette was built. The ticket prices get expensive; the average Joe can't afford to go the the games (at least not all of the games) anymore. They are OFTEN replaced by white collar FANs that don't really live and die by the team. It has also made the games less enjoyable for visitors as well as the NEW fans don't really appreciate football.

Worse, the stadiums used to be filled with cops and fireman, etc. So, when a drunk buffoon starting mouthing off or getting offensive, 20 guys around him told him to sit down and shut up. Now, the same drunk is surrounded by bankers and lawyers who won't get involved. So, the minority jack@$$ controls the scene.

I used to go to Sullivan stadium, and although I would get light hearted ribbing, it was alway safe and mostly cordial. I even have had Pats fans buying me drinks. It was great (as long as you weren't a jerk). After Gillette and the SB, the fans just got more obnoxious and rude. I have had people making rude comments to my sister. In Gillette we would sit in one of the Luxury boxes (right on the 50). The fans where everyone is an invited guest (or Exec) just become meaner, dumber, and condescending. The last two times I had to break up fights (as the Jets fans were on top). Seriously, fights in the Luxury Box.

Being in the stadium used to be the best way to watch the game, now it is filled with drunks, clueless and obnoxious fans and I don't feel safe bringing kids. My daughter and niece who grow up here in NE want to go to a game, but I don't want to subject them to the crowd even if they are wearing NE colors. It is a shame, but it seems to be the trend all over the league.

Just now, section314 said:

In our section, if you showed them your card, we got 1$ hot dogs and soda for the first quarter. Now, if it was $1 beer.....

What a deal.....in the section I sat in near the end of the game a guy was trying to buy $5 Cracker Jacks for 2 for 5 and the vendor was having no part of it. 

I paid $5 for a Gatorade $5 for a Pepsi and $10 for hot chocolate in a Jets reusable cup what a bargain. 

1 minute ago, Cornfed said:

Yesterday was 30% off jerseys and 20% off hats with your Rewards card.

I dont have a rewards card as I'm not a season ticket holder and the 2 concession stands/booths I past by didnt look they were doing much business regardless. 

Fans especially the season ticket holders deserve so much more. 

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Only way the J-E-T-S chant lives again is if Fireman Ed comes back the new guy Scott nice try but not getting the job done. 

Missed the chant yesterday.

Whats far worse is Joe Nolan screaming like someone is stepping on his nut sack so annoying I thought I was at a Rutgers game yesterday. 

I like Ed , met him a few times nice guy and good Jets fan, but the chant originated long before he became the poster boy. It used to be one side of the stadium would do it then the other sort of like a competition . When Ed starting doing it when he'd get on his brother's shoulders it was cool , but soon after it became a contrived thing where fans would only cheer when prompted. I like it better when its spontaneous . 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I like Ed , met him a few times nice guy and good Jets fan, but the chant originated long before he became the poster boy. It used to be one side of the stadium would do it then the other sort of like a competition . When Ed starting doing it when he'd get on his brother's shoulders it was cool , but soon after it became a contrived thing where fans would only cheer when prompted. I like it better when its spontaneous . 

Yes I know in the UD EZ by a guy in tan coveralls waving a towel I was there for the original J-E-T-S chant. 

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes I know in the UD EZ by a guy in tan coveralls waving a towel I was there for the original J-E-T-S chant. 

Wasn't that guy doomed and the torch passed to Eddie after he mooned the crowd with a J E on one cheek and T S on the other?

I was told that was how Fireman Ed was born. Seriously.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Part of the reason the chant died is because the PA announcer at MetLife Stadium is under orders to fill every second of downtime with commercials, song votes, helmet races, PC Richards whistles, Jets calendar ads, garbage can tosses, death metal music, you name it.

Cool, when did they start playing that?

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'll never understand why you loathe the J...E...T....S....Jets! Jets! Jets! chant so deeply and so thoroughly.

Because it's for the gauche, unsophisticated, beer 'n nachos crowd of slobs. Don't you know, now the smart young fans go to "watch" the game with their 5 year olds who are a quietly playing Minecraft wearing the newest Beats by Dre's to shield them from the heathen mobs actually being vocal at a Football Game, for heaven's sake. 

Now, where's my Saketini and Ahi Nachos, Manservant!?

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agreed.

Hey, the easiest way to bash the Dolphins is on attendance.  Their fans simply don't show at games.  It's really pathetic down there.  What we saw today at MetLife is typical of every Dolphins game, even in seasons where they are competitive.

SAR I

How many people attended yesterday at MetLife?

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Only way the J-E-T-S chant lives again is if Fireman Ed comes back the new guy Scott nice try but not getting the job done. 

Missed the chant yesterday.

Whats far worse is Joe Nolan screaming like someone is stepping on his nut sack so annoying I thought I was at a Rutgers game yesterday. 

It's surprising to me that Fireman Ed is a necessity for a chant to take place.  I never liked Fireman Ed (I never like when any fan tries to be "the fan" of a team) but I liked the J-E-T-S chant because it was unique to us and was part of our tradition.  As a Ranger fan I still get a kick out of hearing "Potvin sucks". 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I was in attendance and cannot find an official count of actual attendance, my guess is 45k 

I was at work yesterday. LOL. But I haven't been to MetLife in a couple of years, and won't be going back until Bowles is gone and they're worth the ticket. 

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The halftime show was the best yesterday men stuffing boxes into Toyota mini vans. 

Bring back the frisbee catching dogs and the flying lawnmowers. 

that will NEVER happen-years back I was at a jet game and one of those went into the stands and hit a guy near us and I think he actually was killed

I went to a Sunday night game vs the Pats with my buddy who is a Pats fan. He thought hearing the entire stadium doing the Jet chant was cool. My god, the things Jet fans disagree about is like children fighting.

19 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I was at work yesterday. LOL. But I haven't been to MetLife in a couple of years, and won't be going back until Bowles is gone and they're worth the ticket. 

Free tickets and free parking got me there otherwise I agree with you. 

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'll never understand why you loathe the J...E...T....S....Jets! Jets! Jets! chant so deeply and so thoroughly.

Two reasons:

First, I pay to see the games and I don't need the Jets or the fans dictating what I should or shouldn't do. It's bad enough the Jets yell at me to "get loud!" on third downs, force me to endlessly stand up and applaud the military, shove legacy Jets players in my face, it's like I need to be prompted when to do the right thing and I resent being treated like an imbecile.

Second, it has a connection to Fireman Ed who I dislike passionately as he, like the above-mentioned other Jets-begs, is the poster child for disingenuous fan participation. Back as a kid when I was naive enough to think he was just a random fan he was barely tolerable.  But once he started getting paid for his antics, radio commercials, paid iPhone apps, it got really bad.  And once he used his pulpit as "voice of the Jets fan" to condemn our owner and the fans that was it, he was dead to me.  Dead to thousands of other fans to, we ran him out of the stadium.  He calls it a culture change, tries to blame wealthy fans, but he screwed himself and we exposed him.

In the end, the Jets chant is a phony obligation perpetuated by a phony mascot and his savants.  Good riddance.

SAR I

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The crowd yesterday was very subdued the loyal season ticket holders in attendance were tired and aggravated and most seemed happy it was all over. 

The fans I talked to were bitter about the opposing teams fans inundating our stadium weekly and the fans who really arent Jets fans and just in seats to go to a football game.

I saw many fans who didnt have a stitch of Jets clothing on they spent most of the game on their phones and taking selfies and really could careless what was going on, only times they showed any emotion was when the guys shot t-shirts into the crowd which reminds me of minor league baseball games. 

The crowd has changed the atmosphere has changed and for the diehards who are left i hope that all changes once the team starts winning. 

I missed Fireman Ed and the J-E-T-S chant yesterday. 

If you were at the Jets New England contest a year ago, you'd have a completely different opinion.

Attending the most disappointing Jets game in MetLife Stadium's history may have suited your budget but does not give you the proper perspective or permission to say such things.

SAR I

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's surprising to me that Fireman Ed is a necessity for a chant to take place.  I never liked Fireman Ed (I never like when any fan tries to be "the fan" of a team) but I liked the J-E-T-S chant because it was unique to us and was part of our tradition.  As a Ranger fan I still get a kick out of hearing "Potvin sucks". 

"Potvin Sucks" is cool because no single fan owns it, it happens organically, no one is getting attention from it.

J-E-T-S was full of motives, it's good that it's gone.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

If you were at the Jets Cheaters contest a year ago, you'd have a completely different opinion.

Attending the most disappointing Jets game in MetLife Stadium's history may have suited your budget but does not give you the proper perspective or permission to say such things.

SAR I

I speak the truth and tell you what I witnessed yesterday. 

Regardless if I was a paying customer or not I feel bad for those of you that have to endure that crap. 

The  head band giveaway......Jeez I dont know what to say to paying fans who deserve so much more than that. 

It shouldnt be this way any game of the season regardless of the situation. 

The stadium is a not a fun place to be anymore if every Sunday is like yesterday even though we came out on the winning side. 

The PA announcer is a hot mess, the music is annoying, the antics from the Jets t-shirts launched into the crowd really? men stuffing boxes into mini vans, men throwing footballs into garbage cans I thought I was at a minor league baseball game. 

The J-E-T-S chant is missing, keep the rest of the rah rah crap and bring back the chant. 

Archived