Timing Matters

DMan77

As a Jets fan I am obviously dying for a great QB to come along and play for the Jets. We've waited for so long to have a stud, all-pro, MVP QB. 

And I think when we look back at the last couple decades and realize that we haven't had one, we bow our heads and sigh because we know that's the reason we've been regulated to the bottom of the barrel for most of the last 30 years. 

But sometimes I think about other teams who did manage to find their stud QB, but did not have the success that's supposed to bring. I think about just how hard it is to find a great QB, and how low the chances are... Would it be worse to be those teams? Would it be worse to have hit that QB lottery, but not collected? Would I be happier as a Dolphins fan knowing that I had my all-time great QB, and had some good seasons with some fun wins and exciting Sundays, but didn't win it all? Or I think about San Diego (LA, I guess) who had Dan Fouts and now Rivers (he's at least very good) and still haven't gotten to the promised land. Or maybe even the Bengals who had Ken Anderson, Carson Palmer and now Andy Dalton, but still can't quite put it together... 

Sometimes that helps me feel better about not having found that QB of our own yet.. Unlike other teams that have gotten their guy but let the opportunity fade, the Jets are still in a place in theory where they can get their guy one of these years and make a move.

And maybe when we look back we'll realize that these last 15 or 20 years would have been the toughest to make a run, even with a top QB.

Maybe the timing will work out. . The top QBs of the last 15 years will be either gone or in their twilight soon and it'll be time for a new group. Had the Jets had a stud QB these last 10 years they would have been going up against Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Manning, Rivers, Brees... QBs who have broken and set all time records at a crazy pace... 

So maybe, just maybe, as bad as things have been for the Jets, the timing will work out. They will find a new QB as part of this next era, and we'll be thankful to have that guy now, and not in the middle of other teams hall of fame QB careers...

Our timing is actually perfect.

Any year that franchise QBs are in the draft we either over achieve and pick too late or win a few meaningless games at the end of the year and our out of range,

In years where we suck and pick top 10 like this year there are no franchise QBs.

Expect and overachieving 8-8 record next year for the Jets.

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Any year that franchise QBs are in the draft we either over achieve and pick too late or win a few meaningless games at the end of the year and our out of range,

In years where we suck and pick top 10 like this year there are no franchise QBs.

Then why don't they trade up?

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed.   In addition there  are usually quarterback needy teams ahead of us,  so it makes trading up difficult. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

even so, if they truly wanted a paticular qb in the draft or free agency or on another team all they got to do is make the trade or pay the cash, etc.  imo there are only 5 or so qb's who aren't going to be moved no matter what.  so bring on an 8-8 season.  heck bring on a 9-7 season.  if they do that and show some real improvement over the clusterf**k that was last season then so be it.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What happened in the past 50 years has no impact on today. Each NFL season is for the most part an independent unit

That isn't true. This isn't a random coin flip. What happened 50 years ago might not matter. But what happened 16 years ago does matter. 16 years of ownership for Woody. 16 years of his leadership. The results haven't been great.

He still owns the team so the past does have an impact.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

That isn't true. This isn't a random coin flip. What happened 50 years ago might not matter. But what happened 16 years ago does matter. 16 years of ownership for Woody. 16 years of his leadership. The results haven't been great.

He still owns the team so the past does have an impact.

IN terms of on the field and drafting? I don't really think it does. Unless Woody is a meddler

Ya I mean, it's not really about trying to figure out why... There are lots of factors. There are also statistics and odds involved too.

Anyway I realize this isn't a popular viewpoint when the team is this bad. But it helps me a little too think that when the time comes and the stars align just right, the Jets might find themselves in a better position than they might have in the last decade or so. 

Agree it is more then just the QB

Falcons have a franchise QB as do the Panthers, Chargers, Colts and Lions and none of those guys have a ring, two came close but some did not even make the playoffs

Arguably the Bengals, Fins Titans and Bucs are in the same boat - Raiders and Eagles might get a bye but QB is almost always the ticket to the dance...

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because Macc is an ineffectual negotiator. 

Surly possible... Or also just inexperienced right? That's always a danger with new GMs... Lets see what happens this year with his moves and contracts and such. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The amount of success the Jets have had in the past 20 years with absolute trash at QB is actually quite remarkable. 

Ya and I guess that's part of what I was eluding too... I don't feel like the Jets have "had their chance" and maybe that ends up working out... If the Jets had their stud QB in the last 10 years, would he have been playing second or third of tenth fiddle to the top tier QBS we all know? The ones who have been setting records, making clear hall of fame cases, etc... 

Maybe we're just on the cusp of a new era and now will actually be the best time in the last 20ish years to find that QB. Sure if we found one 10 years ago that would have been great and we would all be happy to be competitive... But maybe finding one now, as a new time begins in football, will actually work out even better for us... That's what I'm going to chose to run with! 

Jets had opportunities to pick :

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Dax  Prescott

Russell Wilson

Derek Carr

Teddy Bridgewater

and so many others who have come and gone .

When you have no QB, and one who has played well and showed well when it counts is available, you take the player.

11 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

IN terms of on the field and drafting? I don't really think it does. Unless Woody is a meddler

The record is what the record is. Doesn't matter what we think. Because the record stands for itself.

Woody has Bowles and Macc reporting right to him. I don't care if people call it meddling or not. But if they have to run decisions by Woody, and Woody has limited football knowledge (which he does), that isn't a winning formula. And once again, the record proves that.

If getting a Franchise QB was simple everyone would have one and getting one wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

Some teams seem to luck into one and some seem to just be picking high at the right time.

You can't control that, what you can control is doing your homework on what is available in the draft, engineering the pick to get the guy you are interested in, then giving that guy the full support and coaching he needs to become what will hopefully be your franchise QB.

And when you look at the history of the 'winning' franchises,(and I"m just cherry picking a few below) it's not like they have had a huge swag of franchise QBs themselves over the years who have delivered the SB Ring :

Dallas - Staubach , Aikman

Pittsburgh - Bradshaw, Roethlisberger

NE - Brady

San Fran - Montana, Young

Denver - Elway, Manning (parachuted in via free agency)

Green Bay - Starr, Farve, Rodgers

Raiders - Plunkett, Stabler

Most have just 2 Superbowl winning QB's, Green Bay have 3 as do Washington (but none 25 years) . We at the Jets have 1.

Basically my point being, it can feel like every other team just continues to turn out Superbowl winning franchise QB after franchise QB, and it's just not the case.

Yep sure, we need to find another one, but just trying to illustrate that even the very best of franchises can go decades between one QB and another.

Where we have fallen down compared to the above teams is win or lose, in the last 40 years since Namath left we should have produced at least one QB that got us to a SB.

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because Macc is an ineffectual negotiator. 

Because all you have to do is decide to trade up and it just happens or if a team wants to rape you in a trade you should just bend over.

You whined that he overpaid for a OL and surely wouldn't if he gave in and traded away too much move up. 

Also, two drafts, one where he tried to move up sure proves the guy is ineffectual in making trades.   I mean it was there for the taking, what's the matter with him! 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because all you have to do is decide to trade up and it just happens or if a team wants to rape you in a trade you should just bend over.

You whined that he overpaid for a OL and surely wouldn't if he gave in and traded away too much move up. 

Also, two drafts, one where he tried to move up sure proves the guy is ineffectual in making trades.   I mean it was there for the taking, what's the matter with him! 

1. Using the "r" word in the first paragraph pretty much confirms everything I've ever thought of you. How despicable and cowardly. There are better ways to describe what you're trying to accomplish but you take low hanging fruit. How about you grow up?

2. Negotiations are more than just trades. But I'm so appalled by your post that I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. 

20 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Sometimes that helps me feel better about not having found that QB of our own yet.. Unlike other teams that have gotten their guy but let the opportunity fade, the Jets are still in a place in theory where they can get their guy one of these years and make a move.

Sorry but I don't understand the bold which I think this is the heart of your post.  Now...the Jets have been in place in theory occasionally and infrequently in the past.  That is true.  However, it has never lasted long and it certainly isn't true at the moment.  It's not like we are there except we have to wait for our turn at a QB.  Geesh.  Can you say....magical thinking?   

Archived