Report: Buffalo Leaning Towards Cutting Taylor

JetNation

On 3/3/2017 at 4:33 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. He's the guy you bring into a team like Denver that is a decent QB away from a SB. Tyrod would make us just good enough to go 8-8 the next 4 years. No thanks. 

At least with Glennon there is a chance that he's a legit franchise QB. 

Yeah so lets give him 60mil to find that out. I don't want Taylor but giving either one of them a big deal based on a small sample size is being foolish. Not with the holes on this team anyway. If the surrounding cast was stronger I might be tempted but I still say let the kids play see what you have.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bills are an incompetently run franchise so hopefully it means they will cut TT. That's when Mac goes in and signs him fast. And then we build an offense around him. Looks like they might eventually cut Decker and if he does we have no experienced receivers or tight ends. 

8 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah so lets give him 60mil to find that out. I don't want Taylor but giving either one of them a big deal based on a small sample size is being foolish. Not with the holes on this team anyway. If the surrounding cast was stronger I might be tempted but I still say let the kids play see what you have.

What kids? Petty? Lol.

On March 3, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Gangrene said:

I agree talent wise, but Lynch now running the show in SF along with KS coaching, that may be more attractive to free agents unless the money is more coming from the Browns.

If the money is the same I would prefer Santa Clara...who ends up qbing both teams is the other factor. Tyrod Taylor in San Francisco ? Kind of appealing for a free agent campared to the rest of the free agent qbs...

Lynch has zero FO experience he's simply a name.  Could be good, could be bad.  KS blew the SB

Best thing the 49ers have going is $90 million in cap room.  Roster wise they have the least talent of any team in the NFL 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The Bills are an incompetently run franchise so hopefully it means they will cut TT. That's when Mac goes in and signs him fast. And then we build an offense around him. Looks like they might eventually cut Decker and if he does we have no experienced receivers or tight ends. 

The Tyrod-haters think the Bills know what they're doing

6 hours ago, thadude said:

Lynch has zero FO experience he's simply a name.  Could be good, could be bad.  KS blew the SB

Best thing the 49ers have going is $90 million in cap room.  Roster wise they have the least talent of any team in the NFL 

I agree on Lynch just being a name but he has brand recognition. Players know who he is and is respected for his past life as a ball player.. just as Elway turned that past player goodwill currency into attracting free agents, so will Lynch.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

What kids? Petty? Lol.

Petty. Hack. Find out what you have. If they stink then you are not tied down for the next 4-5 years to guy who restricts you cap wise and on the field. If Glennon is signed do you really think they will have a winning record next season? With that schedule? I don't. Why pay Glennon 60 mil or more to go 6-10 or 7-9? If they can even win that many with the tough schedule they have? Sorry but you can do that with the guys they have and still keep flexibility and be cap smart.

The Jets are keeping a close eye on the Tyrod Taylor situation with the Bills 

If the Bills let Tyrod Taylor go, the Jets could be interested in adding him.

If the Bills let Tyrod Taylor go, the Jets could be interested in adding him.

(ADRIAN KRAUS/AP)

The smokescreens, misdirection, half-truths and outright lies run rampant this time of year when the circle of trust is as large as a penny.

The start of NFL free agency this week has prompted inquiring minds to wonder how the quarterback-starved Jets will address their biggest need. There's no elixir out there at the moment, but keep an eye on Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor if/when he shakes free in the next week.

The hubbub about the Jets interest in pending free agent Mike Glennon has been largely overblown. Although Mike Maccagnan & Co. are intrigued by the Buccaneers backup signal caller, the feeling on One Jets Drive is that he's not going to be worth the $14-plus million-per-year deal that he's in line to get in the coming days. The Jets, frankly, believe that he's destined for the Chicago Bears.

The Jets view Glennon, who will turn 28 in December, as a solid player with a definite ceiling that isn't high enough to get them to where they ultimately want to go. Glennon is 5-13 as a starter with a 59.4 career completion rate and 84.6 passer rating. He hasn't started a game since 2014.

Buffalo Bills agree to hire Sean McDermott as head coach

Will they inquire about Glennon after the official start of free agency on March 9 (4 pm)? Sure, but barring a philosophical shift, they're not willing to be the highest bidder for Glennon's services.

Free agency can spiral into Thunderdome, so it's wise never to say never. The early indications, however, are that at least one team will be willing to pony up more loot for Glennon than the Jets.

One thing is clear: The Jets don't believe that Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg will be the Week 1 starter. The feeling in the organization all last year was that Petty's ceiling was NFL backup. The overriding belief on One Jets Drive is that Hackenberg isn't even close to competing for the starting job in 2017.

That leaves the powers that be with clear hole at the game's most important position.

"All options are on the table," Maccagnan said last week at the NFL Scouting Combine about his plan to find a quarterback. "We're going to do everything possible to make every position competitive, in particular that position, whether it's free agency or the college draft. We do like our two young quarterbacks, but they're both young and they both have to go out there and earn whatever position they may eventually have on the team."

Mike Glennon at $14 million a year doesn’t make sense for the Jets.

Mike Glennon at $14 million a year doesn’t make sense for the Jets.

(WESLEY HITT/GETTY IMAGES)

In a vacuum, it would be terrific for the Jets to position themselves for a quarterback-rich 2018 draft class that includes USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen (among others), but Maccagnan and Todd Bowles aren't in the business of tanking. There's no assurance that Woody Johnson will retain both or either of them if the Jets stink to high heaven in 2017.

So, Taylor makes sense on myriad levels. The Bills reportedly haven't decided whether they'll pick up his option that would guarantee him $30.75 million in 2017 and 2018. The Bills will have to decide whether to pick up a $15.5 million bonus by March 11. Taylor, who will turn 28 in August, is 14-14 as a starter, including 7-8 last season.

Rex Ryan was fired before Buffalo's season finale against the Jets because he refused to bench Taylor at the behest of management due to a clause in his contract that would give him a big injury payout if he got hurt in that game. (Taylor later underwent sports hernia surgery).

If the Bills and new head coach Sean McDermott decide to move on from Taylor, the Jets would be in play.

Taylor is a dual-threat option that could thrive for new offensive coordinator John Morton, who won't necessarily run a pure West Coast scheme.

"We don't have a West Coast offense," Bowles said. "We'll have an offense that works. If the West Coast works, we'll run it. If the long ball works, we'll do it. If the running game works, we'll run it. John's very good to adapting to what we have."

Taylor has run for 1,148 yards and 10 touchdowns in his two seasons as an NFL starter. He's completed 62.3 percent of his passes with a 92.3 passer rating. He's not Brady or Rodgers, but he's good enough for a team desperately looking to solve their most maddening problem.

5 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I agree on Lynch just being a name but he has brand recognition. Players know who he is and is respected for his past life as a ball player.. just as Elway turned that past player goodwill currency into attracting free agents, so will Lynch.

Elway is a successful GM because he knows what he's doing and makes good moves like getting rid of Tebow at the height of Tebowmania in favor of Peyton Manning

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Petty. Hack. Find out what you have. If they stink then you are not tied down for the next 4-5 years to guy who restricts you cap wise and on the field. If Glennon is signed do you really think they will have a winning record next season? With that schedule? I don't. Why pay Glennon 60 mil or more to go 6-10 or 7-9? If they can even win that many with the tough schedule they have? Sorry but you can do that with the guys they have and still keep flexibility and be cap smart.

Petty looked like a freakin JAG last year.  He's at best an ok backup.  He is not even league average starter

Hack is a joke

One thing is clear: The Jets don't believe that Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg will be the Week 1 starter. The feeling in the organization all last year was that Petty's ceiling was NFL backup. The overriding belief on One Jets Drive is that Hackenberg isn't even close to competing for the starting job in 2017.

Just now, thadude said:

Well if Madouche Mehta says we shouldn't sign Glennon now I'm 1000% sure it's absolutely the right move

The Jets view Glennon, who will turn 28 in December, as a solid player with a definite ceiling that isn't high enough to get them to where they ultimately want to go.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Elway is a successful GM because he knows what he's doing and makes good moves like getting rid of Tebow at the height of Tebowmania in favor of Peyton Manning

Did I say Elway was not ? My point, which you missed completely is that when Elway wjoined the Bronco's front office, he had no expereince but his name recognition helped them attract players.  John Lynch is now at a similar point in his career transition and can use his very successful player profile to attract free agents.  Elway knew no more than Lynch when he began.

My point here, The Dude... is name recognition, aka Brand. I am comparing 2011 John Elway to 2017 John Lynch - both being a particularly recognisable / good ex-NFL player name.. at the point they embarked on their front office journey. Neither had Front Office experience at that point in their lives but their names certainly help them attract players. Elway was the first to admit to Pat Bowlen that he had not clue about picking players when they first talked about him going to work in the front office. He learned as he went along and he ended up making some very good decisions. Do you think Manning would have signed to the Broncos without a strong recruitment  from ex-player John Elway who by then had full control of the Bronco's football operations ?

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Petty isn't the answer. Did you watch him play last year? He is brittle as well. Not a good combo. He actually played worse than Fitzpatrick, which is pretty hard to do.

Hack? If they want to stake their jobs on letting Hack play I am all for it. That would mean they believe there is at least a chance they think he is going to be good. Not sure that is the case.

If you play Petty or Hack and they do terrible you are also not developing any of the young WRs. Anderson, Enunwa, Peake, Smith etc.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Petty isn't the answer. Did you watch him play last year? He is brittle as well. Not a good combo. He actually played worse than Fitzpatrick, which is pretty hard to do.

Hack? If they want to stake their jobs on letting Hack play I am all for it. That would mean they believe there is at least a chance they think he is going to be good. Not sure that is the case.

If you play Petty or Hack and they do terrible you are also not developing any of the young WRs. Anderson, Enunwa, Peake, Smith etc.

I actually do not agree with the Petty being brittle part to be honest.  The plays he got injured were due to 100% epic failures by other players on the team.

In camp Shell whiffs on a block and he gets killed.

The Center screws up the snap count and two Phins come free and he gets killed.

The RB who has been hurt all year comes in and coughs up a fumble and Petty tries to recover and he gets killed.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Injuries are the least of Petty's problem 

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Did I say Elway was not ? My point, which you missed completely is that when Elway wjoined the Bronco's front office, he had no expereince but his name recognition helped them attract players.  John Lynch is now at a similar point in his career transition and can use his very successful player profile to attract free agents.  Elway knew no more than Lynch when he began.

My point here, The Dude... is name recognition, aka Brand. I am comparing 2011 John Elway to 2017 John Lynch - both being a particularly recognisable / good ex-NFL player name.. at the point they embarked on their front office journey. Neither had Front Office experience at that point in their lives but their names certainly help them attract players. Elway was the first to admit to Pat Bowlen that he had not clue about picking players when they first talked about him going to work in the front office. He learned as he went along and he ended up making some very good decisions. Do you think Manning would have signed to the Broncos without a strong recruitment  from ex-player John Elway who by then had full control of the Bronco's football operations ?

I have no idea how lynch does in Frisco.  Do I think players sign there because of him?  No I think players sign because they have an assload of cap room

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I actually do not agree with the Petty being brittle part to be honest.  The plays he got injured were due to 100% epic failures by other players on the team.

In camp Shell whiffs on a block and he gets killed.

The Center screws up the snap count and two Phins come free and he gets killed.

The RB who has been hurt all year comes in and coughs up a fumble and Petty tries to recover and he gets killed.

This is the Jets. The QB is getting crushed several times a game. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Petty looked like a freakin JAG last year.  He's at best an ok backup.  He is not even league average starter

Hack is a joke

Petty is what he is. Judging from a small sample size he's not that exciting is he?

Hack may or may not be a joke. The point is for all the protesting about him we have never seen him on the field. Lets see what He's got. They are not committed to either one over the long term so what can it hurt? Its not like this team has Super Bowl aspirations for next season anyway.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Fair enough, I agree on Petty to a certain extent but am willing to let him and Hack battle it out. I agree wholeheartedly on Hack. I hope they do stack their jobs on him because that means Bowles would most assuredly be gone and maybe Mac too. I have little confidence in Mac and none in Bowles so letting Hack or Petty play will hasten the exit of one or both of them. Win, win all around.

As for the young WR's. I am not too enamored with them and aside from Enunwa and Anderson don't see them sticking, especially if Bowles is gone.

27 minutes ago, thadude said:

I have no idea how lynch does in Frisco.  Do I think players sign there because of him?  No I think players sign because they have an assload of cap room

It's pretty clear what you think, yes, cash is the number one reason but not the only reason.  I'm sure you'll  remember Antoine Winston. The Jets felt confident when he and his wife left their facility that Winston would sign with them. In the end he did not sign with the Jets despite being offered a 30 Million dollar contract; his wife did not like Long Island.

24 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

It's pretty clear what you think, yes, cash is the number one reason but not the only reason.  I'm sure you'll  remember Antoine Winston. The Jets felt confident when he and his wife left their facility that Winston would sign with them. In the end he did not sign with the Jets despite being offered a 30 Million dollar contract; his wife did not like Long Island.

Antoine WInfield.  He did spout that bit about his wife and Long Island, but the Vikings paid him $35M and $3M more signing bonus than the Jets offered.  Money talks.  

5 hours ago, thadude said:

Hack is a joke

You're right. Hack looked horrible in all those games last year. Complete joke, he is. 

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Antoine WInfield.  He did spout that bit about his wife and Long Island, but the Vikings paid him $35M and $3M more signing bonus than the Jets offered.  Money talks.  

Why don't you repeat that one more time, I did not get it earlier...

17 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Petty is what he is. Judging from a small sample size he's not that exciting is he?

Hack may or may not be a joke. The point is for all the protesting about him we have never seen him on the field. Lets see what He's got. They are not committed to either one over the long term so what can it hurt? Its not like this team has Super Bowl aspirations for next season anyway.

I don't know what's so stimulating to Glennon-haters about petty.   Only throw Petty can make effectively is to the GO route because of raw arm strength.  

Petty can't read defenses or go through progressions(did neither at Baylor).  He throws a lot of interceptions at the NFL level.  Never played in the elements in college and it showed in the Pats game he couldn't complete a single pass

23 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I don't know what's so stimulating to Glennon-haters about petty.   Only throw Petty can make effectively is to the GO route because of raw arm strength.  

Petty can't read defenses or go through progressions(did neither at Baylor).  He throws a lot of interceptions at the NFL level.  Never played in the elements in college and it showed in the Pats game he couldn't complete a single pass

Where in the above post did I say anything remotely good about Petty? What I should have taken a page from your book and said "He sucks". Your  pre-ocupation with Glennon is touching but unwarranted. You can't see the forest for the trees. Let me put it it terms you can understand. GLENNON SUCKS. Okay? Feel better now? Jeesh.

5 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Where in the above post did I say anything remotely good about Petty? What I should have taken a page from your book and said "He sucks". Your  pre-ocupation with Glennon is touching but unwarranted. You can't see the forest for the trees. Let me put it it terms you can understand. GLENNON SUCKS. Okay? Feel better now? Jeesh.

Petty gives good head

It appears Morton is going to bring a west coast offense (or one very similar) to the team this year.. Is Tyrod a fit for that? A 1 read qb who looks to make plays with his legs before his arm? Idk about this he's not going to come cheap. He's a good talent but idk if he's the right guy for the job

Archived