Bucs offered deal to make Mike Glennon highest-paid backup

Gas2No99

The Buccaneers offered Mike Glennon a contract that would make him the highest-paid backup quarterback in the NFL, a source confirms to ESPN's Adam Caplan.

Glennon, 27, however, wants to be a starting QB and plans to test free agency, according to Caplan.

Bleacher Report first reported the contract offer.

The Bucs' offer to Glennon would eclipse the deal that the Eagles gave QB Chase Daniel ($7 million per season).

Glennon has seen action in 21 career games with 18 starts for the Bucs, although he hasn't started a game in the past two seasons.

Purely a drop-back passer, Glennon has a strong arm that will function in an offense designed to push the ball downfield, which worked perfectly for Greg Schiano's offense under Mike Sullivan but wasn't ideal when Jeff Tedford became offensive coordinator for the Bucs. West Coast systems relying on shorter, quick throws aren't his forte, and he does not offer much in the way of mobility.

In 2013, his rookie season, Glennon started 13 games and threw for 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He threw for 2,608 yards that year while completing 59 percent of his passes.

In 2014, he started five games for Josh McCown, completing 57.6 percent of his passes for 1,417 yards, 10 touchdowns and six interceptions. He has 30 career touchdown passes, 15 interceptions and a passer rating of 84.6.

ESPN's Jenna Laine contributed to this report.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sign Glennon and trade Hackenberg for a second round pick in this years draft let see if Mike Maccagnan can pull that off, doubt it.

No one in their right minds would trade a #2 for Hack.  

If Mac signs Glennon, it just means he's admitting the catastrophic mistake of drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd round last year.  I'm not sure he's willing to do that just yet.  I Don't think the Jets will sign Glennon, but if they insist on signing a FA, QB, Glennon would be the one I want.

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I know that my point I'm trying to make is Mike Maccagnan wasted last years 2nd round pick  on Hackenberg who may never ever see the field here. 

At this point in time, Hackenberg has a higher upside potential than Glennon in terms of toolsets.

Whether he realizes that upside, is still questionable.

8 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I couldn't possibly form an opinion on Glennon without seeing gifs of every play he's ever made, going back to at least middle school. If we could get some shots of his footwork as a toddler that would probably help.

@Villain The Foe is on it. 

37 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Mac signs Glennon, it just means he's admitting the catastrophic mistake of drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd round last year.  I'm not sure he's willing to do that just yet.  I Don't think the Jets will sign Glennon, but if they insist on signing a FA, QB, Glennon would be the one I want.

Believe what you want to believe, you are entitled to your opinion. But I highly doubt Macc thinks Hack is a bust or was a 'catastrophic mistake'. Quite frankly, it's laughable to assume that when the kid has all the tools and a lot of the intangibles to be a franchise QB and has yet to take any meaningful NFL snaps going into only his 2nd season as a Pro. I.E. Give the kid a chance before you dump all over him.

THAT is why the Jets will not sign Glennon, and instead go with a cheaper, veteran FA QB that can bring stability as a backup, mentor Hack and at the same time give Hack a fair shot to win out the starting gig.   

Neither Glennon, or Tyrod Taylor fit the supposed scheme Morton will run here, unless it's just all guess work that it will be basically a WCO.  Just read the bolded in this article about Glennon, and Tyrod has zero interest in throwing it between the hash marks.

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Neither Glennon, or Tyrod Taylor fit the supposed scheme Morton will run here, unless it's just all guess work that it will be basically a WCO.  Just read the bolded in this article about Glennon, and Tyrod has zero interest in throwing it between the hash marks.

Taylor is a dual-threat option that could thrive for new offensive coordinator John Morton, who won't necessarily run a pure West Coast scheme.

"We don't have a West Coast offense," Bowles said. "We'll have an offense that works. If the West Coast works, we'll run it. If the long ball works, we'll do it. If the running game works, we'll run it. John's very good to adapting to what we have."

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

"We don't have a West Coast offense," Bowles said. "We'll have an offense that works. If the West Coast works, we'll run it. If the long ball works, we'll do it. If the running game works, we'll run it. John's very good to adapting to what we have."

Translation:  I have no idea what I'm talking about.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

@Villain The Foe is on it. 

Believe what you want to believe, you are entitled to your opinion. But I highly doubt Macc thinks Hack is a bust or was a 'catastrophic mistake'. Quite frankly, it's laughable to assume that when the kid has all the tools and a lot of the intangibles to be a franchise QB and has yet to take any meaningful NFL snaps going into only his 2nd season as a Pro. I.E. Give the kid a chance before you dump all over him.

THAT is why the Jets will not sign Glennon, and instead go with a cheaper, veteran FA QB that can bring stability as a backup, mentor Hack and at the same time give Hack a fair shot to win out the starting gig.   

If Mac signs a relatively young QB like Glennon to a big contract, you don't think that this is a signal that the organization doesn't think Hackenberg will ever be a viable NFL QB?  Why sign sign a QB that presumably is being paid big money to be a starter if you think you might have a legit QB already on the roster.  Makes no sense to me.  Now, if the Jets decide to sign Hoyer or another veteran QB to a shorter contract, then I can buy the notion that they think Hackenberg still has a chance to be a starter. 

For what its worth, I would rather the Jets don't sign any QB and let Petty and Hackenberg fight for the starting job and let the chips fall where they may this year.  In a worst case scenario, they both stink and the Jets can draft a QB in 2018.

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Buccaneers offered Mike Glennon a contract that would make him the highest-paid backup quarterback in the NFL, a source confirms to ESPN's Adam Caplan.

Glennon, 27, however, wants to be a starting QB and plans to test free agency, according to Caplan.

Bleacher Report first reported the contract offer.

The Bucs' offer to Glennon would eclipse the deal that the Eagles gave QB Chase Daniel ($7 million per season).

Glennon has seen action in 21 career games with 18 starts for the Bucs, although he hasn't started a game in the past two seasons.

Purely a drop-back passer, Glennon has a strong arm that will function in an offense designed to push the ball downfield, which worked perfectly for Greg Schiano's offense under Mike Sullivan but wasn't ideal when Jeff Tedford became offensive coordinator for the Bucs. West Coast systems relying on shorter, quick throws aren't his forte, and he does not offer much in the way of mobility.

In 2013, his rookie season, Glennon started 13 games and threw for 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He threw for 2,608 yards that year while completing 59 percent of his passes.

In 2014, he started five games for Josh McCown, completing 57.6 percent of his passes for 1,417 yards, 10 touchdowns and six interceptions. He has 30 career touchdown passes, 15 interceptions and a passer rating of 84.6.

ESPN's Jenna Laine contributed to this report.

this is actually a plus in favor of glennon.  he wants to start and has turned down stupid money (for a back up job) to take a chance and be a starter.  this means he has some fire.  maybe he will take more of a show me contract than go for an osweiler.

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well if the West Coast system doesn't fit Glennon's skills, remind me what type of offense our new OC is going to install?

yeah morton knows the west coast offense but the jets are going to be run heavy and will play more ball control.  i wouldn't be surprised if they clone the patsie offense.  it's done that tall immobile guy brady pretty well for the past 15 seasons.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

At this point in time, Hackenberg has a higher upside potential than Glennon in terms of toolsets.

Whether he realizes that upside, is still questionable.

Im not sure on that. I like what I've heard about Hack given that im a Jets fan and I tend to favor our own, but from what its worth the last time this guy was considered something good based on his potential upside was when he was the #1 recruit coming out of highschool. He didnt have a good collegiate career, regressing as the years went by, he was drafted in the 2nd round, though lets be honest, we all know that was the definition of "reach". He went through he entire offseason program yet the coaching staff was seriously afraid to put this guy into a preseason game. And finally, our QB roster consisted of Hack, Petty, Smith and Fitz. Outside of how we feel about any of those guys individually, I think we could all agree that removing Hackenberg from the equation we had arguably the worst QB groups in the league,...bottom 5 for sure. With that said, Hackenberg couldnt see the field in a season when our starter was benched 3 times and the two back ups behind him were also benched due to injury.

It gets to the point where potential upside has to show you something yet Hack couldnt even get on the field in that situation. I think its safe to say that until Hackenberg shows something tangible it will be hard for me to believe about his potential upside, because he hasnt flashed any that warranted that praise since high school. Also, im not trying to make light of the Penn St. situation, the dude showed loyalty to a university that went through a crazy scandal, lost a sh*t load of scholarships and the coach that he actually chose Penn St. to play under left. 

With that said though, it doesnt look good when your program struggles yet the moment you leave they suddenly look like the juggernaut program of the Big Ten conference.

10 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Mac signs a relatively young QB like Glennon to a big contact, you don't think that this is a signal that the organization doesn't think Hackenberg will ever be a viable NFL QB?  Why sign sign a QB that presumably is being paid big money to be a starter if you think you might have a legit QB already on the roster.  Makes no sense to me.  Now, if the Jets decide to sign Hoyer or another veteran QB to a shorter contract, then I can buy the notion that they think Hackenberg still has a chance to be a starter. 

For what its worth, I would rather the Jets don't sign any QB and let Petty and Hackenberg fight for the starting job and let the chips fall where they may this year.  In a worst case scenario, they both stink and the Jets can draft a QB in 2018.

at this point i don't know where this is all going to play out.  i think glennon might be a good qb but if they get him it means riding the bench for hack and petty.  i suppose hack could beat glennon out, but it's doubtful.  hoyer? imho not a bad option if they are looking for a couple of seasons.  hoyer has put up some good numbers when he has played and it's strange he hasn't caught on.

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not sure on that. I like what I've heard about Hack given that im a Jets fan and I tend to favor our own, but from what its worth the last time this guy was considered something good based on his potential upside was when he was the #1 recruit coming out of highschool. He didnt have a good collegiate career, regressing as the years went by, he was drafted in the 2nd round, though lets be honest, we all know that was the definition of "reach". He went through he entire offseason program yet the coaching staff was seriously afraid to put this guy into a preseason game. And finally, our QB roster consisted of Hack, Petty, Smith and Fitz. Outside of how we feel about any of those guys individually, I think we could all agree that removing Hackenberg from the equation we had arguably the worst QB groups in the league,...bottom 5 for sure. With that said, Hackenberg couldnt see the field in a season when our starter was benched 3 times and the two back ups behind him were also benched due to injury.

It gets to the point where potential upside has to show you something yet Hack couldnt even get on the field in that situation. I think its safe to say that until Hackenberg shows something tangible it will be hard for me to believe about his potential upside, because he hasnt flashed any that warranted that praise since high school. Also, im not trying to make light of the Penn St. situation, the dude showed loyalty to a university that went through a crazy scandal, lost a sh*t load of scholarships and the coach that he actually chose Penn St. to play under left. 

With that said though, it doesnt look good when your program struggles yet the moment you leave they suddenly look like the juggernaut program of the Big Ten conference.

I made my qualifications on "upside based on toolsets" alone.

You put Hack and Glennon side by side in a challenge such as the combine, Hack wins that hands down. 

Now, we all know that is not what a player is made of, in his entirety. But the upside potential is higher with Hack than in Glennon. May never be realized though.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You put Hack and Glennon side by side in a challenge such as the combine, Hack wins that hands down. 

Now, we all know that is not what a player is made of, in his entirety. But the upside potential is higher with Hack than in Glennon. May never be realized though.

I don't know about that. Glennon's neck is pretty long, and you know what they say...

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I dont recall Mike Glennon ever being coined at the best QB in the country, consensus # 1 pick in the draft.  Whereas, only a few season ago, Hack was consider just that. 

35 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Mac signs a relatively young QB like Glennon to a big contract, you don't think that this is a signal that the organization doesn't think Hackenberg will ever be a viable NFL QB?  Why sign sign a QB that presumably is being paid big money to be a starter if you think you might have a legit QB already on the roster.  Makes no sense to me.  Now, if the Jets decide to sign Hoyer or another veteran QB to a shorter contract, then I can buy the notion that they think Hackenberg still has a chance to be a starter. 

I agree, I just said they WILL NOT sign Glennon (or any expensive, young-ish QB). I think we seem to agree, lol. 

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

That's so false and misinformed... They are going to sign a veteran QB no matter what... even if Hack was the next Aaron Rodgers... 

52 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Now, we all know that is not what a player is made of, in his entirety. But the upside potential is higher with Hack than in Glennon. My never be realized though.

You know one of the most important, if not the most important toolset for a QB is accuracy. 

A Jets coach said that Hackenberg couldnt hit the ocean if he was standing waist high in water at the beach. 

Sure, Hack may be a better athlete which imo is what the combine truly evaluates and therefore gives him the edge in regards to those abilities, but as a "football player", Glennon indeed has the upside potential at this point in time. 

Archived