Donta Hightower - Future Jet?

Integrity28

Would Dont'a Hightower really consider signing with the Jets?

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – In 2006, New England Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri was an unrestricted free agent and it was hard to envision him winding up in an Indianapolis Colts uniform. He did.

In 2013, Patriots receiver Wes Welker was exploring offers from other teams and got into deep discussions to sign with the Denver Broncos, yet it was hard to envision him following through on it. He did.

Those two examples came to mind when the question was asked: Would New England linebacker Dont’a Hightower really sign with the New York Jets?

It’s a timely question because Hightower is visiting the Jets and the meeting is expected to wrap up Monday, according to Jason La Canfora of CBS. It is believed to be Hightower’s first visit of free agency, as a market for him didn’t develop as quickly as many projected.

If Vinatieri and Welker could cross enemy lines, there’s nothing that says Hightower couldn’t.

That’s why, even though some around the NFL believe Hightower ultimately will re-sign with New England, there are no guarantees when it comes to free agency. As ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi said last week, this is “truth week” in the sense that you learn a lot about how teams view players, and vice versa.

Hightower has been part of two of the best programs in football over the last nine years – first at the University of Alabama under Nick Saban and then with the Patriots under Bill Belichick. Both are similar, hard-driving cultures, and now this is Hightower’s chance to explore what it might be like in a different environment.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if that was part of the sales pitch from one of the Jets coaches who would work most closely with Hightower, Mike Caldwell. The Jets’ inside linebackers coach/assistant head coach is a former linebacker who broke into the NFL in 1993 on Belichick’s Cleveland Browns team, with Saban as his defensive coordinator, so he’s walked in the same football shoes Hightower has. Maybe that leads to a connection that Hightower is interested in investing in, as the Jets have been exploring an upgrade at his position.

Ultimately, it figures to come down mostly to financial investment.

Whatever the Patriots have on the negotiating table for Hightower hasn’t been enough for him to want to sign the deal at this point. That led him to the visit with the Jets, and maybe they wow him with an offer that’s too good to pass up.

If they don’t, sometimes simply getting a peek behind the curtain with another team can spark more appreciation for a player’s original team -- or get them to up their original offer and be a catalyst to re-sign. Other times, it can work in the opposite direction.

Which one will it be with Hightower?

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4801799/would-donta-hightower-really-consider-signing-with-the-jets

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I dont'a want'a to sign'a Hightower'a.

Noted, but who do you prefer to have starting opposite Lee at ILBer, 40 yr old David Harris at 6.5 mil  or 27 year old Hightower .  Or are you looking elsewhere .

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Noted, but who do you prefer to have starting opposite Lee at ILBer, 40 yr old David Harris at 6.5 mil  or 27 year old Hightower .  Or are you looking elsewhere .

I saw Brown make a lot of plays vs the Jets last & he played really well vs the Pats too. I have no idea why the Bills are letting him go but I'd take him if the Hightower thing breaks down. It would definitely be for less money but Brown is physical & always around the ball.

The idea that a Patriot wouldn't sign with the Jets is ridiculous. Of course he would, if the Jets offered him the most money.

Players don't care about rivalries as much as fans do. It's just football to them. Hightower didn't grow up a Patriots fan and hating the Jets. He probably doesn't care. He'll go to the best situation for him.

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I saw Brown make a lot of plays vs the Jets last & he played really well vs the Pats too. I have no idea why the Bills are letting him go but I'd take him if the Hightower thing breaks down. It would definitely be for less money but Brown is physical & always around the ball.

They are going to 4-3 and have Ragland coming back.  Don't need many ILBs for a 4-3.

17 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Draft Pick of Cheap FA prospect.  Don't care which, whomever lolBowles and/or Macc want.

We are almost at the bottom of a total tear-down rebuild.  

I refuse to support signing a system-dependent limited skill, limited physical talent LB to start the rebuild just because "he was like good, with the Pats, or something".

If you want to replace Harris now (and I see no overwhelming need to do so !right now! tbqh), fine, do it via the draft or by pilfering a young prospect for low-cost off of someones practice.  Signing a guy like Hightower, who will not be for us what he was in the Pats system, is not the way to rebuild a team.

Per WFAN just the now, Hightower has left the building.  

He's on his way to meet with Pittsburgh.

WFAN heads now trying to lolclaim Hightower isn't a "system" player.  God NY sports radio is such a joke, no wonder so many posters are so poorly informed.

Have to imagine now that Hightower isn't signing with us.  There's just no reason to considering we have no chance at winning.  Only way to have a possibility is to overpay by at least 1.5 mill a year and even then that's not enough.  (See Jefferson)

Also don't believe it would be a guarantee that Harris is released if Hightower signs here. He can play outside and inside although is best inside.  Harris could easily stay for another year and then move on after the season.

23 minutes ago, Komba said:

Have to imagine now that Hightower isn't signing with us.  There's just no reason to considering we have no chance at winning.  Only way to have a possibility is to overpay by at least 1.5 mill a year and even then that's not enough.  (See Jefferson)

Also don't believe it would be a guarantee that Harris is released if Hightower signs here. He can play outside and inside although is best inside.  Harris could easily stay for another year and then move on after the season.

Can we please move on from David Harris PLEASE! My god! He was SLOW 7 years ago. We keep talking about being a fast attacking defense. Its mind boggling to me, I LOVED Harris, that's with an ED on the end, past tense. Overhaul this thing, don't pay David Harris 6.5 million because he was really good 7 years ago, which in the NFL like dog years is 56 years ago.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Draft Pick of Cheap FA prospect.  Don't care which, whomever lolBowles and/or Macc want.

We are almost at the bottom of a total tear-down rebuild.  

I refuse to support signing a system-dependent limited skill, limited physical talent LB to start the rebuild just because "he was like good, with the Pats, or something".

If you want to replace Harris now (and I see no overwhelming need to do so !right now! tbqh), fine, do it via the draft or by pilfering a young prospect for low-cost off of someones practice.  Signing a guy like Hightower, who will not be for us what he was in the Pats system, is not the way to rebuild a team.

I have no issue with adding another young ILB via the draft, but as it stands right now, this entire LBing core is too young and need some guidance on the field .  Personally, I would prefer if it came from a younger than Harris Veteran with experience who can still get the job done. I think Hightower is an upgrade on Harris, younger and can lead these youngsters for at least 2 yrs .     

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Can we please move on from David Harris PLEASE! My god! He was SLOW 7 years ago. We keep talking about being a fast attacking defense. Its mind boggling to me, I LOVED Harris, that's with an ED on the end, past tense. Overhaul this thing, don't pay David Harris 6.5 million because he was really good 7 years ago, which in the NFL like dog years is 56 years ago.

The Jets and their fans always keep players 1 year too long and release players 1 year too early  .

Dont sign anyone that can jeopardize getting the #1 pick. For once, just once, think smart. Dump the rest of these contracts, Gilchrist, Decker, Harris, trade Sheldon, go with Petty and Hack. Get the #1 pick next year, save as much as possible, then build from bottom up. As our talent picks up, free agents will want to come here. Right now you could only get a hyena to sign on as our mascot. 

Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora)

3/14/17, 6:23 PM

Jets have the most $$ on table for Hightower but he doesn't seem inclined to take it. Talks w/PIT and NE are ongoing

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

3/14/17, 6:18 PM

Dont'a Hightower's Pittsburgh visit has concluded and he remains in talks with Steelers, Jets and Patriots.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can we cease with the "Jets have a plan and are sticking to it" narrative if/when they sign Hightower to a huge-money deal plz?

Why can't hightower be part of their long term plan? 

I'm all for them tanking but I'm also ok with signing one really good young lber that teams like the pats and Steelers also thing is good. Either way, he's probably not coming here.

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why can't hightower be part of their long term plan? 

I'm all for them tanking but I'm also ok with signing one really good young lber that teams like the pats and Steelers also thing is good. Either way, he's probably not coming here.

This is an excellent counterpoint: evaluating the efficacy of a free agent target by who else goes after him. I'd say that the Steelers and Pats--obviously infinitely better franchises than the Jets--both have QBs who are <3 years from retirement, whom put up a sh*tload of points. Hightower makes sense there.

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

Pretty steep $ wanted:

Jets remain very interested. Hightower said to be seeking $12M/year. He could be theirs if they hit or approach that number. https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/841752733661175808 

Paying nearly QB money for a player at a position where you drafted another player in the first round the year before...

J!

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Paying nearly QB money for a player at a position where you drafted another player in the first round the year before...

J!

You can play both Lee and Hightower.  Also if the Jets pay Hightower $12M, that is not great money for a starting QB.  Glennon is in the $15M range.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

You can play both Lee and Hightower.  Also if the Jets pay Hightower $12M, that is not great money for a starting QB.  Glennon is in the $15M range.

The fact that they can both play at the same time does not make this a good idea.

When I said, "nearly," it was intentional.

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The fact that they can both play at the same time does not make this a good idea.

When I said, "nearly," it was intentional.

A 27 year old Hightower would be a nice pick up and wouldn't even cost $12M in cap space because you can then release a 33 year old Harris and save $7M.  I don't see a down side to this move, you get younger and better with minimum salary implications. Also $12M is what Hightower is asking, don't know what he has been offered. I guess we agree to disagree.

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

A 27 year old Hightower would be a nice pick up and wouldn't even cost $12M in cap space because you can then release a 33 year old Harris and save $7M.  I don't see a down side to this move, you get younger and better with minimum salary implications. Also $12M is what Hightower is asking, don't know what he has been offered. I guess we agree to disagree.

Hightower being better and younger than Harris is not at all the point.  And if this isn't a 1 year deal, the fact that it's only 5M net in year one is irrelevant.

Pats don't have any intention of paying any of these LBs $12 mil which was the major reason for trading Collins. Hightower is using his contract as a benchmark, however there's no market for such a contract demanded at this time. Hightower is a $8-10 mil player.

Posters have to stop with this consumpt that since Harris is $7 mil that paying $5 mil more isn't a big deal when in reality Harris shouldn't be making no more then $3-4 mil. 

Archived