Romo Retires Which Could Help Us

KRL

He's going to the TV booth:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19073822/dallas-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-leaving-football-broadcast-career

HOU expected to get him as their QB, that's why they basically "paid" CLE to take Osweiler.  With Romo
gone they only have Tom Savage at QB.  I would assume they are going to be very desperate to get a QB
in the draft.  With Maccagnan's history with them he should have the ability to "abuse them" in a trade
down.  Let's hope

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for Tony. I think one step to preventing the damaging effects of the game is to listen to your body rather than your ego. Guys body is begging for a break, glad he is smart enough to listen. Had a nice run for an undrafted guy from eastern Illinois. 

Only problem with this theory is that Houston needs to win Now and not wait for a QB to develop and most of these QB's coming out are viewed as projects. They will try to make a trade or roll the dice with Cutler or Kap.

Via trade they would go for Garoppolo or Cousins and I don't see any of this involving us in any way

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Good for Tony. I think one step to preventing the damaging effects of the game is to listen to your body rather than your ego. Guys body is begging for a break, glad he is smart enough to listen. Had a nice run for an undrafted guy from eastern Illinois. 

Agreed.  I think he probably already played too long tbh but I'm glad (for his sake) that he's at least retiring now.  However, I don't think the story is over just yet.  Someone QB will get hurt or some good team (e.g. Broncos) will probably make a big offer to bring him in for 1 year.  I'm sure his broadcasting job will have an out clause should he decide to return. 

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

For us older fans who remember Staubach  and of course Aikman,  its amazing Romo has passed them both in many categories.

And he slept with Jessica Simpson, theres that in his bag.

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I think he probably already played too long tbh but I'm glad (for his sake) that he's at least retiring now.  However, I don't think the story is over just yet.  Someone QB will get hurt or some good team (e.g. Broncos) will probably make a big offer to bring him in for 1 year.  I'm sure his broadcasting job will have an out clause should he decide to return. 

Im not sure because the broadcasting after playing gig seems to be the post career holy grail for most players. I mean even coaches like Gruden seems to prefer it over returning to coaching. Maybe it's just enough limelight and just enough money without the suffering to quench the drive. Hell, Brandon Marshall isn't even retired yet and is priming the pump for the transition. We will see but I think he will forego the pain of returning to football after experiencing the pampering of Broadcasting. 

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

For us older fans who remember Staubach  and of course Aikman,  its amazing Romo has passed them both in many categories.

And he slept with Jessica Simpson, theres that in his bag.

In her heyday too. I would like to think directly after her soapy car wash scene from TheDukes of Hazard. Feel free to think that too. All of you. 

27 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's funny how these QBs are good enough for every other team to want but don't have the proper value for the Jets at 6 and we have no QB .

I was going to type this exact statement.

46 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's funny how these QBs are good enough for every other team to want but don't have the proper value for the Jets at 6 and we have no QB .

Amazing, isn't it.

Even funnier is the "Texans will want Hack" line that crops up more and more now.

46 minutes ago, KRL said:

With HOU at #25 we could get their #1, #2 and a future #2 if they come up to #6

That's a terrible deal. The only silver lining of the pain of watching your team be terrible is to get a top premium pick. That's like trading Leonard Williams for Kyle Wilson Devin Smith, and Hackenberg. Horrific horrific deal.

Houston probably realizes they are screwed and will look at signing Cutler for a year and drafting a mahomes type that falls to them to groom him over the year to start next year.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Amazing, isn't it.

Even funnier is the "Texans will want Hack" line that crops up more and more now.

If Houston did not think it was worth trading this year's second for Hack (basically a even up deal with seasoning), that would be pretty telling.

9 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Houston probably realizes they are screwed and will look at signing Cutler for a year and drafting a mahomes type that falls to them to groom him over the year to start next year.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

This would make a lot of sense for them, and they could perhaps trade up a bit from 25 but not necessarily to 6.

With Hopkins and some counseling, Cutler could perhaps be good in Houston.

This was a smart move by Romo all around-he made enough money, he has a beautiful family that he can try and walk down the beach with, he will have a great career in the booth, and he stuck it to "the Man."  Now Jerry and bear his entire salary and unamortized bonus.

Best news I heard all day-on a personal level.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

With HOU at #25 we could get their #1, #2 and a future #2 if they come up to #6

that is a great, GREAT deal for hou !..  now, why we would ever agree to it...  morons-moron-demonstration-kfc-bucket-in

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

1 hour ago, KRL said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19073822/dallas-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-leaving-football-broadcast-career

HOU expected to get him as their QB, that's why they basically "paid" CLE to take Osweiler.  With Romo
gone they only have Tom Savage at QB.  I would assume they are going to be very desperate to get a QB
in the draft.  With Maccagnan's history with them he should have the ability to "abuse them" in a trade
down.  Let's hope

Houston (By Houston I mean Bill O'Brein) apparently love Savage, and legitimately not just a thing they are throwing out there to put others off a possible QB they like in the draft, or to make Dallas think they weren't that interested in Romo where they would trade a valuable draft pick/asset to get him.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Houston did not think it was worth trading this year's second for Hack (basically a even up deal with seasoning), that would be pretty telling.

There is no chance of any kind they (or anyone else) would trade a 2nd Round Pick for Hack.  None.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

As said, the team that really gets screwed by this are the Texans.

As of now, they have the worst QB situation in the NFL, with the Jets and Browns slightly ahead.

And now they will either have to give in to signing Cutler or Kaepernick or make a trade.

Savage >>>>>>>>>> Anything the Jets have at the QB position 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

down.  Let's hope

We should be able to trade hack to them for a 1st and a 3rd i would imagine since O'Brien loves the guy and thinks he is hot stuff.

36 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

That's a terrible deal. The only silver lining of the pain of watching your team be terrible is to get a top premium pick. That's like trading Leonard Williams for Kyle Wilson Devin Smith, and Hackenberg. Horrific horrific deal.

Agreed it would have to be 1st, and 2nd this year, and at least a 1st next year.

Or 1st, and 2nd plus Whitney Mercilus.

40 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I agree there a big drop off in talent from 6 to 25.

6 to 12 is much different. 

Even the second rounder wed pick up is almost an early third. Id flip if this happened. 

If anything it hurts us. Houston could move up to take a qb

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

They have the value in posters minds.  The only thing that matters is if they have the value in GM's minds.  

With that said i would like to see that trade go down. Except with another 1st round pick   Strongly doubt it

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

They have the value in posters minds.  The only thing that matters is if they have the value in GM's minds.  

With that said i would like to see that trade go down.  Strongly doubt it

As would I . I wish for the Jets to draft only 1 QB, (Trubisky) but I would have no issue if it were to be Watson . That said, I do believe it would be in the long term interest of the Jets to acquire as many picks as possible in this very deep draft at the positions this team so desperately need .

Archived