Position battles to watch as Jets ready for OTAs

Gas2No99

Position battles to watch as Jets ready for OTAs

nfl-buffalo-bills-at-new-york-jets-e62f1

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets will take the field and perform football drills for the first time this week. Which positions are up for grabs on the roster? Here are some of the top battles, including quarterback (Bryce Petty - Josh McCown - Christian Hackenberg), left tackle (Brandon Shell - Brent Qvale), and cornerback (Marcus Williams - Juston Burris)

Let the battles begin...

The Jets will begin organized team activities this week. For the first time in 2017, this year's team will be on a football field doing football things. No contact is allowed, but there will be quarterbacks throwing passes, receivers running routes, and some 11-on-11 drills. 

There are an awful lot of positions open for the Jets, and said competitions will begin at OTAs. Which battles should you keep an eye on? Here's a look:

Reserve Safety: Calvin Pryor vs. Rontez Miles

Calvin Pryor won't start for the Jets this year, barring injury. The Jets made their feelings on him known when they A) Drafted back-to-back safeties in the first and second rounds, and B) Didn't pick up Pryor's fifth-year option. If Pryor has a role on this year's team, it will be as a reserve, special teams ace who may/may not see time in a specially-designed 3-safety package. 

The Jets have another player on the roster (Rontez Miles) with a similar skillset. He's cheaper than Pryor, and proven on special teams. If Miles outplays Pryor in camp, it's entirely possible the Jets cut Pryor before the season (see Jace Amaro in 2016). 

Outside linebacker: Lorenzo Mauldin vs. Dylan Donahue

Lorenzo Mauldin dropped 10 pounds this offseason. He hopes a lighter frame will help him regain his rookie year agility. But if Mauldin doesn't, and he's outperformed by Dylan Donahue in training camp, there's no reason Donahue won't start. General manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles aren't tied to any player on this roster. It seems unlikely Donahue takes over for Mauldin this year, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. :blink:

Tight end: Austin Seferian-Jenkins vs. Jordan Leggett

This is a big offseason for rookie Jordan Leggett. If he plays well, he'll be the starter during Austin Seferian-Jenkins' two-game suspension. If he then plays well when games begin, he could be the starter the rest of the year. He's a talented player, but he first needs to get the coaches' trust, which can start in OTAs. 

Cornerback: Juston Burris vs. Marcus Williams

Juston Burris had a bit of an up-and-down rookie year. He flashed, but struggled a bit with fundamentals. The Jets tendered Marcus Williams this offseason, but aren't tied to him. His $2.746 million salary isn't guaranteed. Morris Claiborne is locked in as one outside corner. Buster Skrine will be one, too, in base. He'll move to the slot in the nickel package. Which means there's an opening for an outside corner in nickel. Williams and Burris will compete for the spot all offseason. 

Right tackle: Brandon Shell vs. Brent Qvale

Brandon Shell, last year's fifth-round pick, is the favorite to win the job. He showed a ton of potential the final three weeks of the 2016 season. But those three games were the only starts of Shell's career, and the Jets did give him a lot of help. There's no guarantee he can step up as an every-week starter. According to ESPN, Brent Qvale and Shell will rotate at right tackle all offseason until coach Todd Bowles picks a starter. 

Receiver: Charone Peake vs. Chad Hansen

Charone Peake, the Jets' seventh-round pick in 2016, caught 19 passes for 186 yards as a rookie. He showed some promise. Chad Hansen, the Jets' fourth-round pick this year, has a similar skillset, but more upside. There's no guarantee Peake makes this roster, especially if guys like K.D. Cannon and Quinton Patton step up. Peake's best chance is to show he can contribute more in 2016 than Hansen. 

Quarterback: Josh McCown vs. Christian Hackenberg vs. Bryce Petty

In a perfect world, Christian Hackenberg would win this competition. The Jets invested a second-round pick in him. They believed then he could be a franchise quarterback. If he develops, it'll only prove them right.

But there's no guarantee. Hackenberg is a huge question mark. He hasn't even attempted a pass in a regular season game, which is why the Jets signed Josh McCown. 

McCown will likely be the starter (to begin the year). Petty has an outside (very outside) chance. Either way, this one will be fun to watch throughout the offseason. 

Ben Ijalana vs Brent Qvale seems like a more likely roster battle as does Quinton Patton vs Charone Peake at WR

3 others I think are intersting.....

Dakota Dozier vs Johnathan Harrison vs Ben Braden vs Alex Balducci  for the last 2 interior line spots 

Anthony Johnson vs Mike Pennel vs Lawrence Thomas for rhe last DL spot 

Freddie Bishop vs Corey Lemonier vs Josh Martin vs Frank Beltre for the last OLB spot 

25 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Three QBs but only one wears a star:

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-21%20at%2011.53.

Birthmark of Destiny

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/judge_child_altcrop350pxheight.png 

Vanquishing evil is actually pretty easy: just grab a Chosen One - Hackenberg?Petty?, give them a sword decent offensive supporting cast & a clean pocket (ojust a herring — Chosen Ones are a very resourceful lot), point them in the right direction and just wait until the evil empire (aka Brady's Patriots) falls. In fact, the only challenge in this puzzle is figuring out just who and where the Chosen One is in the first place. You don't want to end up with a Fake Ultimate Hero - Mark Sanchez, Browning Nagle -, after all.

Well, worry no more!

For your convenience, the gods were nice enough to physically label your Chosen One in some way. Typically, this comes in the form of an unusually shaped birthmark or strange hair/eye color. For bonus points, there will often be a vague allusion to this mark or phenotype that will only make sense once the Chosen One actually appears.

A subtrope of Distinguishing Mark. Overlaps with Claimed by the Supernatural when the Chosen One is literally chosen by something.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

what 

Not sure what's unclear. It means that none of the bad players on the roster are their fault or their responsibility, which has been the line on this group since the day they walked through the door.

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not sure what's unclear. It means that none of the bad players on the roster are their fault or their responsibility, which has been the line on this group since the day they walked through the door.

Pretty incredible how the base has wrapped itself comfortably around the idea that going 2-14 in Year Three is absolutely awesome and correct. That's some real voodoo sh*t right there.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty incredible how the base has wrapped itself comfortably around the idea that going 2-14 in Year Three is absolutely awesome and correct. That's some real voodoo sh*t right there.

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Voodoo schmoodoo. It's Jets fans on the internet. We are the same group of Folgers chugging neckbeards that justified the Doug Jolley trade and applauded using a third rounder on a guy because he hunted swine with a knife while playing next to AJ Hawk. Doesn't exactly take Caribbean supernatural forces to sway opinions around here.

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Round these parts we call it "confirmation bias"

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Voodoo schmoodoo. It's Jets fans on the internet. We are the same group of Folgers chugging neckbeards that justified the Doug Jolley trade and applauded using a third rounder on a guy because he hunted swine with a knife while playing next to AJ Hawk. Doesn't exactly take Caribbean supernatural forces to sway opinions around here.

This feels like a personal attack.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Really though, this is perfect execution of Jet fan self delusion.

I don't see Peake getting cut. Also agree with @Sarge4Tide that it's really between him and Patton, not Hansen.  

I think Shell gets the nod over Qvale.  He looked good in the 3 games he played in and after a couple of years I think Qvale has shown that he's more suited in the backup/rotational role.

Burris vs Williams will be a fun one to keep an eye on.  Williams has had 1-2 good years as a starter but really struggled last year.  Burris took his lumps last year but never really hung his head and battled through em, flashing along the way. 

I have no idea what the QB battle is going to look like.  Ideally, Hack comes out firing and wins it outright but...even as a huge supporter of his...I just don't know.  I'll back that kid the whole way through but I want to hear that he's made significant strides before anointing him anything.  It's not impossible...it's been done before by a 2nd round prospect with a big arm and mechanical/accuracy issues.  Colin Kaepernick looked as bad, if not worse than Hack, in his first set of preseason action and came back a completely different QB in year 2.  He lit it up in the 2012 preaseason and ultimately supplanted Alex Smith.  That said, we don't have Jim Harbaugh coaching this team and Kaep's progress was the exception, not the rule.  If Petty looks significantly better through the summer and Hack doesn't show big time growth, it wouldn't shock me to see him actually open up Week 1.  That would be a gigantic disappointment...at least in my eyes.  I'd venture most of the coaches, front office guys, and fans would agree with me there.  If McCown opens up the season as the starter I'm going to refill my Klonopin prescription.

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Ben Ijalana vs Brent Qvale seems like a more likely roster battle as does Quinton Patton vs Charone Peake at WR

3 others I think are intersting.....

Dakota Dozier vs Johnathan Harrison vs Ben Braden vs Alex Balducci  for the last 2 interior line spots 

Anthony Johnson vs Mike Pennel vs Lawrence Thomas for rhe last DL spot 

Freddie Bishop vs Corey Lemonier vs Josh Martin vs Frank Beltre for the last OLB spot 

This will be the battle for the starting C spot....Johnson is horrible. 

16 hours ago, section314 said:

This will be the battle for the starting C spot....Johnson is horrible. 

That's the first time I've heard that. I thought he did a pretty good job in Mangold's absence. And, it doesn't seem to match the Jets offseason acquisitions.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

That's the first time I've heard that. I thought he did a pretty good job in Mangold's absence. And, it doesn't seem to match the Jets offseason acquisitions.

I agree. If anything, I feel Johnson outplayed Mangold at C last season.

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I mean, to just throw that out there, no evidence, no background, nothing...just slamming a guy.

No evidence ??. I watched all the games. Mangold was clearly injured/on the downturn when he played . Johnson wasn't spectacular but played reasonably well.

I was/am a huge Mangold fan but his time had come. The fact that it's 5/22 and he's still unsigned speaks volumes of what his game film looked like last season.

I know its popular to bash every move the Jets FO makes but this decision was much needed.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No evidence ??. I watched all the games. Mangold was clearly injured/on the downturn when he played . Johnson wasn't spectacular but played reasonably well.

I was/am a huge Mangold fan but his time had come. The fact that it's 5/22 and he's still unsigned speaks volumes of what his game film looked like last season.

I know its popular to bash every move the Jets FO makes but this decision was much needed.

Sorry, I meant the other guy who claimed he wasn't playing well was slamming him with no evidence or background. I can't say I watched every minute because, you know, I have another actual life outside of this franchise, but the few times I did see him, there didn't seem to be any degradation in the play of the interior OL.

Archived