NFL1000: Ranking Every NFL Receiving Corps

sciond

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2711007-nfl1000-ranking-every-nfl-receiving-corps

32. New York Jets

1 of 32

hi-res-6951e29888d35a1dba561f3e1e038e33_
Al Pereira/Getty Images

Receivers: Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, Jalin Marshall, Robby Anderson, Quinton Patton, ArDarius Stewart, Charone Peake, KD Cannon, Frankie Hammond

Tight Ends: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jordan Leggett, Eric Tomlinson, Braedon Bowman, Brian Parker

While speaking to reporters, New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson seemed to suggest losing Brandon Marshall in free agency will make things easier in the locker room, but it's hard to say how it'll make things easier on the field.

Marshall led the team in receptions with 59, and at 6'4", he's been a reliable big target throughout his career. Moreover, the Jets don't have anyone to replace him in that capacity. Quincy Enunwa came along nicely in 2016, leading the team in receiving yards with 857. But he's far from proven, and he's also valuable as a slot receiver.

The Jets would love to have Eric Decker back at full speed after he missed 13 games with hip and shoulder injuries. Decker caught 80 balls for 1,027 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2015, and when healthy, he's a dynamic downfield threat. Most likely, he'll be the primary target of whoever is playing quarterback for the Jets this season. (Hint: That quarterback uncertainty is part of the problem.) 

One player who showed potential in 2016 was Robby Anderson. The undrafted free agent from Temple caught 42 passes for 587 yards and two touchdowns in his rookie campaign, and he led the team with nine deep receptions.

But overall, the Jets receiver corps is emblematic of the fact that, because of injuries, free-agency blunders, draft issues and coaching problems, this is a woefully undertalented roster in need of a major rebuild. That's not likely to change in the short term.

Why are we last?  I'm not saying we have a top 10 receiver core (without Marshall) but would you seriously trade this group for say the Vikings?  Panthers? Bears? Bills? 49ers? Rams?  Cardinals?  Titans? Lions? Colts?

Then there are teams that are at least toss ups such as Saints (depends how much you believe in Michael Thomas) or Redskins (does Reed count as a receiver?).  

Decker/Enunwa/Anderson is better than being last place.  It's certainly closer to last place than first place, but to rank them dead last is pretty dumb.  

3 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

So they got patton, cannon and hammond, but missed Hansen?

Thank you.  First thing I noticed as well.  Not worth reading an article written by somebody who doesn't know who's on the team.

wow, enunwa had some really quiet yards last season.  but really, the receivers are made by the qb and vice versa.  and it also doesn't account for the use of rb's or even the te's.  the jets weren't structured to have great wr's last season.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Quick now rank the linebackers and DBs, where Maccagnan has directed most of his resources. 

this is an org problem more than a GM problem. Seems to me Bowles wanted all those guys, and Mac gave them to him. Problem is the stupid ass org structure more than the GM, IMO. 

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

Why are we last?  I'm not saying we have a top 10 receiver core (without Marshall) but would you seriously trade this group for say the Vikings?  Panthers? Bears? Bills? 49ers? Rams?  Cardinals?  Titans? Lions? Colts?

Then there are teams that are at least toss ups such as Saints (depends how much you believe in Michael Thomas) or Redskins (does Reed count as a receiver?).  

Decker/Enunwa/Anderson is better than being last place.  It's certainly closer to last place than first place, but to rank them dead last is pretty dumb.  

I think the QB play last year impacts this ranking.  I mean, it's a stupid ranking by a stupid site but for sh*ts and giggles...I'm not sure the Jets are better than any of those teams from a WR perspective.  However, if the Jets had a legit QB last year, I think Robbie Anderson is probably on everyone radar as a player to watch this season. Instead, he's unproven.  Decker cant stay healthy so its hard to put him a consistent threat.  And it's not like he does anything special.  He's a nice possession receiver.  So basically the Jets have Enunwa as their only consistent WR threat on the team.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Problem is the stupid ass org structure more than the GM, IMO. 

It's both (or, to be more accurate, the former gave us the latter). Blaming one over the other is just parsing necessary and sufficient conditions.

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's both (or, to be more accurate, the former gave us the latter). Blaming one over the other is just parsing necessary and sufficient conditions.

I find it impossible. Ive read enough Bowles quotes to know he's making a lot of the personnel calls, more of them then Maccagnan. I think there are certain coaches who should get this input, Bowles is clearly not one of them. I don't have any love for Maccagnan, and if he is fired tomorrow, I'd have zero issue with it. But I don't even know what the hell he is as a GM, since Bowles seems to give more quotes about who we are going to sign or draft, or why we signed or drafted someone than Maccagnan does. Considering Bowles was hired first, and they both report to Woody the moron, its all moot. We will never win anything with this owner, unless we luck our asses off and stumble onto a winning QB and a winning coach. The rest is banging our nuts with a hammer.

18 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I find it impossible. Ive read enough Bowles quotes to know he's making a lot of the personnel calls, more of them then Maccagnan. I think there are certain coaches who should get this input, Bowles is clearly not one of them. I don't have any love for Maccagnan, and if he is fired tomorrow, I'd have zero issue with it. But I don't even know what the hell he is as a GM, since Bowles seems to give more quotes about who we are going to sign or draft, or why we signed or drafted someone than Maccagnan does. Considering Bowles was hired first, and they both report to Woody the moron, its all moot. We will never win anything with this owner, unless we luck our asses off and stumble onto a winning QB and a winning coach. The rest is banging our nuts with a hammer.

Game, set, match. Nothing else needs to be said. 

I think the QB play last year impacts this ranking.  I mean, it's a stupid ranking by a stupid site but for sh*ts and giggles...I'm not sure the Jets are better than any of those teams from a WR perspective.  However, if the Jets had a legit QB last year, I think Robbie Anderson is probably on everyone radar as a player to watch this season. Instead, he's unproven.  Decker cant stay healthy so its hard to put him a consistent threat.  And it's not like he does anything special.  He's a nice possession receiver.  So basically the Jets have Enunwa as their only consistent WR threat on the team.

If we are factoring in QB, then sure there is a case. However, on pure talent we are better than a decent amount of teams. Like the Browns with Britt/Coleman.

We lack a true No. 1 but otherwise I don't think it's that bad. We suck at the QB position though, so if that's a factor then it's understandable. Although then it should be a passing game ranking than receivers ranking.

10 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If we are factoring in QB, then sure there is a case. However, on pure talent we are better than a decent amount of teams. Like the Browns with Britt/Coleman.

We lack a true No. 1 but otherwise I don't think it's that bad. We suck at the QB position though, so if that's a factor then it's understandable. Although then it should be a passing game ranking than receivers ranking.

I wish I had a $ for every time I begged for Mike Williams with pick #6 on this site and I was was told by most that WR would be a "luxury" pick because we are so strong there. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I wish I had a $ for every time I begged for Mike Williams with pick #6 on this site and I was was told by most that WR would be a "luxury" pick because we are so strong there. 

Mike Williams is a stud, but it would have been a luxury pick for us because compared to the other barren areas of the roster, WR is somewhat flush with talent.  I really liked Chris Godwin from PSU or Carlos Henderson because I thought they were value picks (with better upside than Stewart).  

My only concern with Williams is his ability to create separation.  Clemson throws a ton of back shoulder passes (it's hard to defend in the NFL, it's virtually impossible to defend in college) combined with deep shots, which allow Williams to have an advantage.  However, he's not Julio Jones fast, so I would like to see how he adjusts to coverage in the NFL where a true No. 1 corner is faster than him, therefore he can take more chances looking back at the QB.  Although the catch radius with him is ridiculous, because he has the height and arm length.  His vertical jump was concerning though, because he was a former basketball player, and it was one of his best abilities to high point the ball, but the vertical was mediocre.  

I wouldn't have complained much if we picked him though, because I love drafting receivers, lol.  

Archived