Who should be the next GM after the next GM?

CanadaSteve

Thought this could stir some fresh discussion.

I mean, everyone wants Mac gone, and we already have a discussion about who should be the next GM next year....but what about the GM after that in 2 years when they haven't won a Super Bowl?

Who should that be after we fire the next GM?

I will take the job.   Waste this organizations time for three years and then they can fire me!  I will probably do a better job than Mac because I will field a team that will definitely be picking number 1 for a couple years in a row in the draft.  

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I mean, everyone wants Mac gone, and we already have a discussion about who should be the next GM next year....but what about the GM after that in 2 years when they haven't won a Super Bowl?

i don't want mac gone, yet. he's made a commitment to tear down and rebuild and it's only just begun.  give it time.  and don't forget that how these players ultimately perform falls on the coaches.  i'm sure most anti macs will change their toon if either hack or petty emerge.

7 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I will take the job.   Waste this organizations time for three years and then they can fire me!  I will probably do a better job than Mac because I will field a team that will definitely be picking number 1 for a couple years in a row in the draft.  

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Rex Ryan

Sounds about right

i don't want mac gone, yet. he's made a commitment to tear down and rebuild and it's only just begun.  give it time.  and don't forget that how these players ultimately perform falls on the coaches.  i'm sure most anti macs will change their toon if either hack or petty emerge.

People would change their analysis based on new evidence? Those bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Being upset that the Jets haven't won a Super Bowl after two years is the exact same thing as being upset the Jets are quite possibly the worst team in the league after two years, I agree!

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

So...based on the bolded part above: do you believe Idzik actually had 2 good drafts, but their failures actually fall on Rex and Bowles? :) 

Maccagnan's "commitment to tear down and rebuild" (your words):

1. Began with February offers to extend Ryan Clady and Brandon Marshall
  2. The initial cuts were obvious, pure cap moves for unreliable players, which would have occurred on any team even in the absence of any teardown/rebuild: Revis $9.3m, Mangold $9.1m, Gilchrist $6m, Giacomini $5m.
  3. After his dirt-cheap, 5th round rookie RT showed promise starting the last 4 games of 2016, he then goes out and inks two FA tackles for $5m and $8m respectively (both of whom were among the NFL's worst in 2016) in back-to-back days.
  4. He held onto David Harris and Eric Decker through a good part of OTAs until (allegedly) Woody Johnson stepped in.
  5. Has held onto $6m Buster Skrine (who, regardless of age, shouldn't be part of any rebuilding process. How hard does a veteran DB have to suck to get into Todd Bowles' doghouse?).

Obviously - and I've said this a couple of times this offseason - if either Hackenberg or Petty turn out to be good starting QBs, I'll forgive many/most missteps he's taken thus far.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So...based on the bolded part above: do you believe Idzik actually had 2 good drafts, but their failures actually fall on Rex and Bowles? :) 

2. The initial cuts were obvious, pure cap moves for unreliable players, which would have occurred on any team even in the absence of any teardown/rebuild: Revis $9.3m, Mangold $9.1m, Gilchrist $6m, Giacomini $5m.
  3. After his dirt-cheap, 5th round rookie RT showed promise starting the last 4 games of 2016, he then goes out and inks two FA tackles for $5m and $8m respectively (both of whom were among the NFL's worst in 2016) in back-to-back days.
  4. He held onto David Harris and Eric Decker through a good part of OTAs until (allegedly) Woody Johnson stepped in.
  5. Has held onto $6m Buster Skrine (who, regardless of age, shouldn't be part of any rebuilding process. How hard does a veteran DB have to suck to get into Todd Bowles' doghouse?).

Obviously - and I've said this a couple of times this offseason - if either Hackenberg or Petty turn out to be good starting QBs, I'll forgive many/most missteps he's taken thus far.

Quaterback, the "Get out of jail free card".

Mac is not the ringmaster here.  

Even if he was perfect, the combination of  Woody's FA and contract direction and Bowles' personnel direction make this a difficult situation for any GM to succeed in. 

Mac is a good scout I think, and I think he continues to learn.  We should just stay with him until Woody steps away from the team in one way or another (hopefully by selling), and the person who buys the team, likely someone who has had real success in the real world, can do a better job.  

It is clear to everyone that the organization is completely dysfunctional.   Hiring another GM is like bringing another child into a bad marriage.   

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Mac is not the ringmaster here.  

Even if he was perfect, the combination of  Woody's FA and contract direction and Bowles' personnel direction make this a difficult situation for any GM to succeed in. 

Mac is a good scout I think, and I think he continues to learn.  We should just stay with him until Woody steps away from the team in one way or another (hopefully by selling), and the person who buys the team, likely someone who has had real success in the real world, can do a better job.  

It is clear to everyone that the organization is completely dysfunctional.   Hiring another GM is like bringing another child into a bad marriage.   

So true. After I retired a few years back from my first career, I had the opportunity to work for the Jets. Thought it would be the perfect job....favorite team for most of my life, literally 5 mins. from home,etc. While I was contemplating this, I talked to a longtime trusted, successful friend who has worked for the "other team" in our new stadium for years. He told me, basically, "run, don't walk, away from that job."  Said that the place is so mismanaged and dysfunctional that it would be career suicide. Glad I listened to him.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

like i said, if hack or petty pan out mac will be a genius.  but to respond, he still needed to get players to fill out the roster.  signing a left tackle wasn't a bad move although there is some risk in beachem because of his injury history. holding onto guys like decker and harris also wasn't a bad move but at their salaries, they were too expensive for their production and age. skrine?  he's a slot corner.  he was brought in specifically to guard against the edelmans of the league.  and he's actually okay doing that.

as for idzik's draft and the role of the head coach, there's no telling how these guys might have turned out because rex ran a circus. maybe if they were drafted into a different system, most would still be playing. and look at how far a guy like geno fell under rex. geno was touted during the draft of being the top rated qb.

the bottom line is mac is taking the tack he should've taken 2 season's ago and they're paying for it starting now.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

like i said, if hack or petty pan out mac will be a genius.  but to respond, he still needed to get players to fill out the roster.  signing a left tackle wasn't a bad move although there is some risk in beachem because of his injury history. holding onto guys like decker and harris also wasn't a bad move but at their salaries, they were too expensive for their production and age. skrine?  he's a slot corner.  he was brought in specifically to guard against the edelmans of the league.  and he's actually okay doing that.

as for idzik's draft and the role of the head coach, there's no telling how these guys might have turned out because rex ran a circus. maybe if they were drafted into a different system, most would still be playing. and look at how far a guy like geno fell under rex. geno was touted during the draft of being the top rated qb.

the bottom line is mac is taking the tack he should've taken 2 season's ago and they're paying for it starting now.

So if I read this right, everyone he picked up or kept was a great move, except if one is then cut later in the same offseason after being kept then cutting that same player in the same offseason was also a great move. So anything he does is a great move because he's the one doing it.

Those guys drafted in 2014 only spent their rookie seasons with Rex. RG3 notwithstanding, a rookie year is not a career. No system was going to fix most of those guys, and they were given the opportunity to move on to other systems before they were on the Jets for 2 years (less time than they spent in the NCAA). In other words, they were generally just bad picks.

The "bottom line" is after Maccagnan blew through a massive amount of cap space, generally spent very poorly with a good amount of it spending future money that year as well, just one year later the team was no better than when he got here (before such spending occurred). That gift of cap flexibility, plus a high draft pick, plus a healthy roster (in contrast to the prior year), and a perfect storm of awesomeness schedule-wise, led to a short-lived improvement in wins from 4 to 10. Bad as that prior year was, they lost 2 games to NE by a combined 3 points; they lost another in OT; they had a 2-TD swing handed to Chicago by the officials; a sideline timeout may have cost the GB game (it certainly cost tying it up late); and they lost yet another because Rex purposely and spitefully tanked vs Miami to stick it to Idzik by allowing only running plays until the final possession. Even still, with those 10 wins, we barely squeaked by some terrible teams, and had crazy luck in timing opponents' injuries while we remained healthy.

After all that, just one year later, they were no better than when he got here. The major difference in the 2016 vs 2014 records was Buffalo tanked the final game in '16 while Rex tanked the first Miami game in '14. And now the desired plan for 2017 - the measurement of success - is to be even worse.

Sorry, but he's awful. Not even just-okay. He's horridly awful.

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Xenu the Galactic Overlord and Master of the Chattel Races (which has included Terrans since the Grand Unification War of the Outer Rim Worlds).

Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So if I read this right, everyone he picked up or kept was a great move, except if one is then cut later in the same offseason after being kept then cutting that same player in the same offseason was also a great move. So anything he does is a great move because he's the one doing it.

Those guys drafted in 2014 only spent their rookie seasons with Rex. RG3 notwithstanding, a rookie year is not a career. No system was going to fix most of those guys, and they were given the opportunity to move on to other systems before they were on the Jets for 2 years (less time than they spent in the NCAA). In other words, they were generally just bad picks.

The "bottom line" is after Maccagnan blew through a massive amount of cap space, generally spent very poorly with a good amount of it spending future money that year as well, just one year later the team was no better than when he got here (before such spending occurred). That gift of cap flexibility, plus a high draft pick, plus a healthy roster (in contrast to the prior year), and a perfect storm of awesomeness schedule-wise, led to a short-lived improvement in wins from 4 to 10. Bad as that prior year was, they lost 2 games to NE by a combined 3 points; they lost another in OT; they had a 2-TD swing handed to Chicago by the officials; a sideline timeout may have cost the GB game (it certainly cost tying it up late); and they lost yet another because Rex purposely and spitefully tanked vs Miami to stick it to Idzik by allowing only running plays until the final possession. Even still, with those 10 wins, we barely squeaked by some terrible teams, and had crazy luck in timing opponents' injuries while we remained healthy.

After all that, just one year later, they were no better than when he got here. The major difference in the 2016 vs 2014 records was Buffalo tanked the final game in '16 while Rex tanked the first Miami game in '14. And now the desired plan for 2017 - the measurement of success - is to be even worse.

i respect your right to have an opinion.  many times i even agree.  i will finish by saying that considering how badly the jets have been doing for the past 7 or 8 seasons with regard to the draft and free agents i'm willing to see if mac can straighten it out.  to me he won't have carte blanche and the rope will get shorter and shorter each season the jets stink. the one beef everyone can and should agree with is not getting a top flight qb.

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

For a personnel guy to only have 1 confirmed success in 2 drafts is also damning. And his "hit" was one of the biggest no-brainer selections in history when Williams fell to us. A team that absolutely stinks gets basically no significant contributions from any other player drafted by him? If you want to be very generous I guess you could give him an incomplete grade for Darron Lee and some credit for bringing in Robby Anderson off the street (how sad that we're excited about 500 yards from a receiver). That's still very ouch. Even Idzik found Enanwa in the 6th.

Maybe not completely fair but as it looks at the moment, my guess is 10 years from now Macc is remembered by Jets fans as "the guy who took Christian Hackenberg two rounds before Dak Prescott."

22 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

caa60eeb5944aba6e97558ccf88e8a00.jpg

Btw, let me know when a Mike Macagnan-built football team actually makes a NFL playoff

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Being upset that the Jets haven't won a Super Bowl after two years is the exact same thing as being upset the Jets are quite possibly the worst team in the league after two years, I agree!

From a GM's perspective, building a repeat contender (yet falling short of a SB win) is obviously the same quality job as building the worst team in the NFL.

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Guys lets be patient Macc might have a good draft in the year 2049

So, what you are saying is this: You want to talk about the GM that replace the GM that replaces the next GM, while Woody keeps being Woody? 

Archived