A lot is made of the infamous two safety strategy...

slats

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

I can see what you are stating here. The issue is that the Jets DL is not configured for speed and does not get to the QB with enough pressure. Thus the long bombs consistently.

They may not have to be. Different coaches with different players. We need to see them on the field together first before we draw any conclusions, especially in June.

If the coaches know how to use the talent on the roster then mission accomplished

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Question is, what prospects were truly worth the pick at those positions (esp. @ #6)? 

It's also said that safety is the QB of the defense, or at least the DBs, and it sounds like Adams has been just that during mini-camp. Yes, CB is more prized based on their ability to play, but they don't have to do as much co-ordinating as S.

all i can say is i remember how much better the dolts looked when bob sanders was healthy and in the line up.  they had the other 10 players with a replacement safety and looked like dog sH8t.  same thing with the steeler defense since palomalo retired.  good safeties can really help the corners look much better.  and the jets played better with kerry rhodes at free safety even though that guy wouldn't make hard tackles. these guys should really help the defense.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

In 1st round the QBs and OTs were not considered worthy of #10 let alone #6. Mahomes would have been problematic unless after we had already signed McCown to an uncuttable contract this year, that we would have moved Petty (who ain't worth much if anything in a trade) or cut him and then let Hack, Mahomes, and McCown fight it out as this year's starter (4 QBs is to much for that type of competition). Had Mahomes or any QB not name Trubinsky, who went at 2 anyway, been more ready by evaluation to start sometime this year then maybe we would have taken them. Adam's at #6 was fine and since others in round 2 were high risk like Cook and Mixon we were better off with Maye since our 2nd round track record is like a curse we don't want to add more fuel to. And I don't believe in curses, but the 2nd round has been unreal that either we get bad players or have the unfortunate events like Byrd, where the player is good, but something bad occurs to them (Also see Geno "Broken Jaw" Smith). Harris is the only very good 2nd round pick I can recall and I am almost 52 years old. 

i agree on the adams versus mahomes.  mahomes is not ready for prime time and he is proving that in his training camp.  we'll just have to see what trubitsky does.  right now the jets need to be doing as much as possible to get hack ready.

6 hours ago, slats said:

But I'm actually pretty optimistic -and, yes, I realize it's a low bar, but yeah - that Marcus Maye could be the best second round pick the Jets have selected since David Harris. That wouldn't suck, despite his position. 

Low bar is a vast understatement considering all he has to do is last on the roster for more than 2 years and play more than like 10 snaps.

I wanted Watson in the first round but can't really fault the Adams pick. It was a glaring need position so I'm okay with it. I really wanted Mixon but was realistic and knew Mac would not pick him. For a team that is so offensively challenged as this one is was it to much to ask to draft on that side of the ball? What reall pissed me off was the trade downs when need positions could have been filled on the OL especially at C. The third round had real value and Mac crapped the bed IMO.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

They may not have to be. Different coaches with different players. We need to see them on the field together first before we draw any conclusions, especially in June.

If the coaches know how to use the talent on the roster then mission accomplished

Rodgersis STILL the DC

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Point is, this would have VERY likely been a DB pick no matter what. As others have stated, the Jets were never going to pick Cook or Mixon, and even less likely despite talent because a RB at that point would have been a luxury pick for a team like the Jets. And they obviously knew that Pryor was a goner and Gilchrist was a goner.

I don't get the Mahomes thinking. The Jets are a bottom five team trying to rebuild with one of the best QB drafts in while coming up in 2018. Why on earth would the pass on a sure thing (a top three pick) in Adams for a project, when they're going QB next year with much better quality? Mac isn't as dumb as people here are trying to make him out to be. None of us knew that they had already moved on from Pryor and Gilchrist when they were drafting.

If we were drafting DB no matter what Sydney Jones would have made more sense.  He was a top 10 draft pick until he got injured, is a CB which is more valuable position than Strong Safety, and has way bigger upside than Maye

59 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Rodgersis STILL the DC

They sure did tweak that staff.  Such a great idea to have to force Petty and Hack to learn a new playbook when neither could learn the first playbook and oh by the way West Coast Offense doesn't even suit their skill sets

2 hours ago, thadude said:

If we were drafting DB no matter what Sydney Jones would have made more sense.  He was a top 10 draft pick until he got injured, is a CB which is more valuable position than Strong Safety, and has way bigger upside than Maye

That's fair. I think there were basically two ways to go == DB or RB. The two RB's were character disasters and a luxury pick in a rebuilding year. Going safety or corner depended a lot on what the Jets knew about the status of the positions/players  going into the draft. I fully expected to see them pick a CB as well. But I get why they went safety now. Let's hope Burris is all that he appears to be so far this off season. Corner may not be a problem after all.

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

A franchise with this anemic an offense cannot pick 2 safeties at the top of the draft. And it's even worse when you look at how they have favored defense at the top of the draft forever. 

Yea but this rebuild is going to take 2-3 years - and that's if we get our QB - gotta start somewhere.

13 hours ago, jamesr said:

Question is, what prospects were truly worth the pick at those positions (esp. @ #6)? 

It's also said that safety is the QB of the defense, or at least the DBs, and it sounds like Adams has been just that during mini-camp. Yes, CB is more prized based on their ability to play, but they don't have to do as much co-ordinating as S.

Which is why you don't second guess the Adams pick. He was a steal at 6 and could have easily gone at 2. Maye on the other hand was a questionable pick.  Was he the absolute target by Mac or BPA on their board? Baker, S, and King, cb, were chosen just a few picks before.  Numerous other players were rated higher and would have filled positions of need. Re-enforcing the secondary however was paramount. If you had to go defense again early,  I would have preferred grabbing one of the higher cb's left.  And Maye should have no trouble exceeding the expectations of the previous Jets 2nd rounders since Harris in 2007:  Ducacusse, Stephen Hill, Geno Smith, Amaro, Devin Smith and Hackenberg. A monkey picking out of a hat could have made more successful picks. 

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

offense, we should have drafted offense.   scoring is for chumps

Hard to argue. I saw CB as a MUST in round 2 or 3.  But the guy I really really wanted in round 2 was TE Gerald Everett.  And he was there. SMH. This kid is going to be a star ⭐️ 

46 minutes ago, BigO said:

Hard to argue. I saw CB as a MUST in round 2 or 3.  But the guy I really really wanted in round 2 was TE Gerald Everett.  And he was there. SMH. This kid is going to be a star ⭐️ 

His player comp is, get this, Quincy Enunwa. 

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

His player comp is, get this, Quincy Enunwa

Say what! Not sure who made that comparison. Everett is bigger but I can see it since he's not a classic size TE. 6'3 239. Enunwa 6'2 225.

11 hours ago, thadude said:

And a huge injury risk... Who knows if he will ever be the same.... He could just as easily bust and be dee milliner

19 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Mixon, Jones, Cook that order.  We're not competing this year we could have afforded Jones partial red shirt season.

Right, a guy who knocked a girl out, a guy with a torn Achilles, and a drunk? 

59 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Right, a guy who knocked a girl out, a guy with a torn Achilles, and a drunk? 

Yeah but Sidney Jones is a stud. He should've been the pick. The Maye pick ruined that day for me. I feel better about it now but I'm not totally gonna be on board until I see something on the field.

10 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

That's fair. I think there were basically two ways to go == DB or RB. The two RB's were character disasters and a luxury pick in a rebuilding year. Going safety or corner depended a lot on what the Jets knew about the status of the positions/players  going into the draft. I fully expected to see them pick a CB as well. But I get why they went safety now. Let's hope Burris is all that he appears to be so far this off season. Corner may not be a problem after all.

I've actually heard good things about Burris in OTA's.  The thing is  if we have zero pass rush and an inept offense our secondary will continue to get lit up

We could be entering the season with DeShaun Watson and Dalvin Cook but instead we have 2 safeties.  Hard to get excited about that when you think about what they could be building around. 

Maye will be a good player in the league.  Not great but good. He'll break the 2nd round bust trend that has plagued the Jets.  Never saw him as a FS which is interesting that will be his position.  I know they like his versatility but still, you have to wonder what the Jets are seeing because he really cant cover all that well.  At the time, I felt it was a very redundant pick, not only to Adams but what we already had on the roster in Pryor and Miles but we'll see.  Maybe he turns into something he was not in college. 

21 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Here's the next several picks. Who would you have preferred?

7 39 Marcus Maye Jets DB Florida
  8 40 Curtis Samuel Panthers WR Ohio State
  9 41 Dalvin Cook Vikings RB Florida State
  10 42 Marcus Williams Saints DB Utah
  11 43 Sidney Jones Eagles DB Washington
  12 44 Gerald Everett Rams TE South Alabama
  13 45 Adam Shaheen Bears TE Ashland
  14 46 Quincy Wilson Colts DB Florida
  15 47 Tyus Bowser Ravens LB Houston
  16 48 Joe Mixon Bengals RB Oklahoma
  17 49 Ryan Anderson Redskins LB Alabama
  18 50 Justin Evans Buccaneers DB Texas A&M
  19 51 DeMarcus Walker Broncos DE Florida State
  20 52 DeShone Kizer Browns QB Notre Dame
  21 53 Teez Tabor Lions DB Florida
  22 54 Raekwon McMillan Dolphins LB Ohio State
  23 55 Dalvin Tomlinson Giants DT Alabama
  24 56 Obi Melifonwu Raiders DB Connecticut

Honestly?  Considering Adams and what the Jets have on the roster...I'd take a bunch of these guys over Maye.

For sure Tabor and Wilson since it was a position of need and are just better player than Maye.  Sidney Jones being injured kind of makes it a wash.  Cook for sure over Maye. Mixon, I just dont think I could be good with that but yes, he's definitely the better talent.  The TE's are meh but Ryan Anderson and DeMarcus Walker I'd probably prefer. 

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

We could be entering the season with DeShaun Watson and Dalvin Cook but instead we have 2 safeties.  Hard to get excited about that when you think about what they could be building around. 

Maye will be a good player in the league.  Not great but good. He'll break the 2nd round bust trend that has plagued the Jets.  Never saw him as a FS which is interesting that will be his position.  I know they like his versatility but still, you have to wonder what the Jets are seeing because he really cant cover all that well.  At the time, I felt it was a very redundant pick, not only to Adams but what we already had on the roster in Pryor and Miles but we'll see.  Maybe he turns into something he was not in college. 

Go play your video game

Jk imagine if Watson plays well what a sh#tshow next season will be

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

And it's the job of the players to execute. If they are incapable of doing so then you get players who can.

For example, why did we get rid of Calvin Pryor?

The D looked confused quite often last season. I do not think that was all on the players

How do you get worst the more you work in a scheme ?

1 - Coordinator leaves for Head Coaching position  

2 - Injuries take a toll on your better players .  ***

3 - Age prevents players from doing the things they did when they were younger . ***

4 - Complacency sets in after players have gotten the contract they worked to achieved and no longer have the desire to work at their craft .  ***

5 - Salary cap issues causes you to lose younger players who have excelled and have been poached . ***

6 - Players and position coaches have maxed out their abilities and what's left can now be exploited .  ***

Last yr every single 1 of those reasons happened to the Jets  with the exception of the 1st one on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball . 

Archived