Saturday's Starter

whodeawhodat

Just now, Matt39 said:

If he's refusing to announce it it's obviously Mccown.

Agreed.  No media access today.  Not sure if he has a presser after practice but by waiting he is avoiding having to talk about who he chooses which definitely means McCown.  Not that it matters anyway, only thing that matters is who starts the 3rd preseason game.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Meh, maybe he hasnt had a forum to announce it?  I dont go on the official jets website any longer since i was censored in their comments section.  

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That would be my guess as well.

McClown plays the first two-three posessions.

Hack gets the rest of the 2nd half.

Petty plays mop-up in the second half with the future meat-cutters on the roster.

Do we have a fourth camp arm, I honestly don't recall?  I don't think we do this year, so yeah, Petty finishes the game.

Just now, Warfish said:

Petty plays mop-up in the second half with the future meat-cutters on the roster.

Do we have a fourth camp arm, I honestly don't recall?  I don't think we do this year, so yeah, Petty finishes the game.

I could see this, we dont have a 4th arm that i am aware of.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah. I'd be shocked if McCown didn't start, and disappointed if he lasted more than 10 plays or so. 

I was debating on whether to tailgate or not, but since the weather is indicative of rain and humidity I may pass.

McCown will start a series or two and then HAck plays 2nd & 3rd Quarter while Petty outplays the 3rd stringers in the 4th qtr.

Key players to watch:

Qvale vs. Shell @ RT

OLine protection overall

How Elijah McGuire performs w/#1s

OLB and PAss rush pressure

Demario Davis and open field tackling

Darron Lee turning his head around on coverage and not getting blown away by OLine blocks

Juston Burris at CB

Rookie Safties 

Ross Martin surpasses Yips to be the placekicker

Why on earth does everybody think that Hackenberg deserves more than half the game?  There are three QBs.  McCown probably needs the least work, give him a series or two, then whoever is second gets the half and a series in the 2nd, then the third guy.  

They are protecting Hackenberg.  I don't think that equates to giving him a ton of run and letting him loose - I think it is a few heavily scripted series.

7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I was debating on whether to tailgate or not, but since the weather is indicative of rain and humidity I may pass.

McCown will start a series or two and then HAck plays 2nd & 3rd Quarter while Petty outplays the 3rd stringers in the 4th qtr.

Key players to watch:

Qvale vs. Shell @ RT

OLine protection overall

How Elijah McGuire performs w/#1s

OLB and PAss rush pressure

Demario Davis and open field tackling

Darron Lee turning his head around on coverage and not getting blown away by OLine blocks

Juston Burris at CB

Rookie Safties 

Ross Martin surpasses Yips to be the placekicker

Is this official or your opinion?

39 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Bowles stated he would decide QB play for saturday on thursday night.  now that it is friday morning, anyone have the info?

Thanks.

Well, it is the job of beat writers to track that information and let their followers know. But as we all knows, Jets beat writers are busy with their agendas to care about informing people. 

I don't want to hear Bowles talking about the best players playing (or whatever Cajun backwoods nonsense sh*t he's slinging these days) if he buries Petty in favor of Hack and McCown. Especially considering he spent all of last year hiding Hackenberg in a plastic bubble so he could play the worst QB in the league in Week 17

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why on earth does everybody think that Hackenberg deserves more than half the game?  There are three QBs.  McCown probably needs the least work, give him a series or two, then whoever is second gets the half and a series in the 2nd, then the third guy.  

They are protecting Hackenberg.  I don't think that equates to giving him a ton of run and letting him loose - I think it is a few heavily scripted series.

He requires more REPS, and thus more than 1/2 the game, because he is hasn't had as much live action as Petty did in '16. 

The HC & GM have seen what Petty has done in LIVE action last year, and are yet to see how Hack performs with an oncoming pass rush. The first game should be all Hack & Petty after the first 2 offensive series. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

He requires more REPS, and thus more than 1/2 the game, because he is hasn't had as much live action as Petty did in '16. 

The HC & GM have seen what Petty has done in LIVE action last year, and are yet to see how Hack performs with an oncoming pass rush. The first game should be all Hack & Petty after the first 2 offensive series. 

I am hopeful that Petty has improved.  As long as Petty or Hack(my preference is that order) is starting week 1, I am happy and more interested, win or lose, in the game.  If McCown is week 1 starter, I'll still watch but will be very disappointed that neither one of our youngsters couldnt beat him out...

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

It is a new system and Petty is/was a project too.  If "live action" was so damn important to them they would have played him last year.  I honestly believe they will be careful in how they use Hackenberg.  They seem to treat him like a delicate flower. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't want to hear Bowles talking about the best players playing (or whatever Cajun backwoods nonsense sh*t he's slinging these days) if he buries Petty in favor of Hack and McCown. Especially considering he spent all of last year hiding Hackenberg in a plastic bubble so he could play the worst QB in the league in Week 17

Have you no soul??? JK, i already know the answer to that question :P

http://nypost.com/2017/08/11/the-caring-side-to-todd-bowles-jets-fans-never-get-to-see/

The caring side to Todd Bowles Jets fans never get to see

August 11, 2017 | 3:02am

The caring side to Todd Bowles Jets fans never get to see

Todd BowlesBill Kostroun

MORE FROM:

BRIAN COSTELLO

Brian Costello

Willie Colon wishes Jets fans could get to know the Todd Bowles he knows.

Colon played for Bowles in 2015, the coach’s first year with the Jets. Colon was dealing with a chronic knee injury for most of the year. A day after a loss in Oakland, a game in which Colon struggled, he was summoned to Bowles’ office.

“Listen, I’m going to put you on IR,” Bowles said, ending Colon’s season and his career.

“I care more about you as a man than a football player,” Bowles told him. “You’re putting yourself in danger. I want to see you play with your kids. I want to see you have a life outside of these walls.”

Tears started coming down Colon’s face, and he left Bowles’ office furious at the coach. After talking to his wife and praying for a few days, Colon realized Bowles had done him a favor.

Two weeks later, Colon went back to Bowles’ office to thank him.

“Todd protected me, and I’m forever in his debt because of it,” said Colon, now an SNY analyst. “That’s the type of depth this man has. He’s battle-hungry. He wants to win. He wants it all. But he cares about those guys in the locker room. Those guys care about him. It’s just tough because of what this season can become. That’s going to be overshadowed.

“The public will never see that side. That breaks my heart.”

This season, Bowles has more hurdles to clear than an Olympic sprinter to save his job.

The on-field challenges for his team have been well-documented — from the quarterback situation to a bunch of no-name wide receivers.

But away from the field, Bowles also faces a perception problem. He currently is less popular with Jets fans than A.J. Duhe. Part of that is about the team going 5-11 last year, but it also stems from how little of himself he shows to the public.

The Jets face a decision after this season over whether to fire Bowles, bring him back for the final year of his contract, or give him an extension. If things go as expected, Bowles is going to need something more than his win-loss record to help him. He could start by revealing more of his personality.

Bowles is a truly funny guy, but his press conferences are as enjoyable as a colonoscopy. His sideline demeanor ranges from stone-faced to … stone-faced. It leaves an impression with the fans that their coach is passionless.

The truth is far from that. When the cameras are not on, Bowles is energetic and not afraid to raise his voice. His laugh is contagious.

SEE ALSO

Jets coach tired of Sheldon Richardson's 'B.S.' Marshall feud

With his players, he praises them and punishes them when they need it.

“He’s a real open person with us,” tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins said. “There’s no bull[crap]. There’s no lies. It’s real straight up and forward. He treats it like a family, like how I expect my dad to talk to me. No bull[crap]. This is what needs to be done. This is what needs to stop.”

Somehow a narrative developed last season that Bowles is lax in the discipline department. Perhaps it is because Bowles rarely calls out a player publicly. In fact, he sometimes goes overboard defending his players, like the comment about “sometimes your alarm clock isn’t going to go off” about Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson being late. That was a dumb comment, but Bowles made it from a place of trying to stick up for his guys.

Behind the scenes, though, Bowles gets on players, fines them if they violate the rules and does not let situations fester.

“From Day 1, he’s been a guy to nip things in the bud and he doesn’t repeat himself,” Colon said.

Colon said players won’t walk all over Bowles.

“There’s a level of fear with Todd,” Colon said. “I don’t think he’ll ever let the world see that because it’s not for the world.”

Staying in-house with things can be smart, but so can giving the fans a glimpse of what is going on in that house. He did it this week when he made it clear Richardson needed to pipe down. Bowles needs to do it more.

SEE ALSO

How Todd Bowles can pull off a miracle and not get fired

Bowles is focused solely on winning games, not popularity polls, so it is unlikely he will change. Those close to him say he has no interest in trying to win over fans, who he feels already have formed their opinions of him.

Bowles has worked hard on changing the culture around the Jets this year, and there are some good, young players already on the roster. But will Bowles be around to see this thing through?

“There’s pieces brewing, but you don’t know because of what the season might become if he will have the time to serve New York a solid team and the contending, championship team we’ve been craving all along,” Colon said.

When Bowles was hired, someone who worked with him said, “It’s impossible not to like Todd Bowles.”

Jets fans have found a way. Bowles still can turn that around, but he is running out of time.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

lol, terrific

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

It is a new system and Petty is/was a project too.  If "live action" was so damn important to them they would have played him last year.  I honestly believe they will be careful in how they use Hackenberg.  They seem to treat him like a delicate flower. 

They won't be able to "gage" him w/limited Preseason reps, and LAST YEAR he apparently couldn't call a huddle, let alone play in a game w/out getting killed behind that OLine. Why compromise a Project when he clearly wasn't ready? That's just stupid and BAD personnel management. Live Action IS important and NOW that HAck's had a RedShirt year, I believe they'll expose him to the Lion's Den and see how he fares. 

36 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I am hopeful that Petty has improved.  As long as Petty or Hack(my preference is that order) is starting week 1, I am happy and more interested, win or lose, in the game.  If McCown is week 1 starter, I'll still watch but will be very disappointed that neither one of our youngsters couldnt beat him out...

You'll be disappointed week 1. But that doesn't mean McCown will be the starter for the other 15 games. People need to accept that and I know many won't. 

It's a brand new O system. Just listen to some of the exQBs that have played in a WCO. I've heard Jim Miller and Boomer both say McCown should start. And it's more for the other 10 O players as much as the young QBs. There's way too much the QB has to do.  Let McCown settle the other O players for a 4-6 weeks or so and then turn it over to Hack and/or Petty. 

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

You'll be disappointed week 1. But that doesn't mean McCown will be the starter for the other 15 games. People need to accept that and I know many won't. 

It's a brand new O system. Just listen to some of the exQBs that have played in a WCO. I've heard Jim Miller and Boomer both say McCown should start. And it's more for the other 10 O players as much as the young QBs. There's way too much the QB has to do.  Let McCown settle the other O players for a 4-6 weeks or so and then turn it over to Hack and/or Petty. 

I totally understand what you and the pontiffs are saying.  I dont want one of our younger QBs out there to the detriment of the other 10 players or himself.  BUT, I would put Hack or Petty out there if there wasnt that risk, if they were just a shade under performing as well as the vet.  Not sure if that is possible or if i am contradicting myself....

10 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I totally understand what you and the pontiffs are saying.  I dont want one of our younger QBs out there to the detriment of the other 10 players or himself.  BUT, I would put Hack or Petty out there if there wasnt that risk, if they were just a shade under performing as well as the vet.  Not sure if that is possible or if i am contradicting myself....

The issue isn't about the other 10 being able to compliment the 2 kids for such a time as now, but more so  the ability of the 2 kids to put the other 10 guys in the right position to maximize their abilities . McCown for all his issues, understands the scheme and can get the other 10 lined up properly while being able to understand at a quicker pace what the defense might be attempting . At this point in their development in this offense, it might be a stretch to think that Petty or Hack can get the 10 other kids lined up properly while reading the defense on a consistent basis .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The issue isn't about the other 10 being able to compliment the 2 kids for such a time as now, but more so  the ability of the 2 kids to put the other 10 guys in the right position to maximize their abilities . McCown for all his issues, understands the scheme and can get the other 10 lined up properly while being able to understand at a quicker pace what the defense might be attempting . At this point in their development in this offense, it might be a stretch to think that Petty or Hack can get the 10 other kids lined up properly while reading the defense on a consistent basis .

the issue here is that mccown has not played any better than either of the two young guys.  everyone in the media was writing that mccown would be the regular season starter, now nobody can even say he's earned that right in preseason.  truth, it is pretty close among all 3 of them.  mccown's experience is partially negated by nobody else on the offense knowing the system, so petty and hacks' natural physical talents have become more important than if this offense had more vets who can actually execute this and a line that could block.

it will be telling who bowles starts, if only b/c it will send a message about what he expects out of the season.  if mccown starts and plays nearly a quarter we're back to the fitzpatrick 'he plays b/c he's older' syndrome.  but this year, at least, the media will not applaud it - everyone wants to see if we're drafting darnold or rosen.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the issue here is that mccown has not played any better than either of the two young guys.  everyone in the media was writing that mccown would be the regular season starter, now nobody can even say he's earned that right in preseason.  truth, it is pretty close among all 3 of them.  mccown's experience is partially negated by nobody else on the offense knowing the system, so petty and hacks' natural physical talents have become more important than if this offense had more vets who can actually execute this and a line that could block.

it will be telling who bowles starts, if only b/c it will send a message about what he expects out of the season.  if mccown starts and plays nearly a quarter we're back to the fitzpatrick 'he plays b/c he's older' syndrome.  but this year, at least, the media will not applaud it - everyone wants to see if we're drafting darnold or rosen.

Do you honestly believe that the Jets management and coaching staff will go into the season hoping they lose enough to get the opportunity to get fired ?  I realize the fans are hoping for this outcome, but who goes to work planning to mess up bad enough to get fired when they actually love their job ?

25 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I agree with the above in general, we really don't know if it is a stretch.

While I certainly don't want to see McCown as the regular season starter, it actually makes the most sense to start him this week.  The starters get minimal playing time in week 1, and similarly McCown should be getting the least amount of playing time of all the QBs.  Give him a series or two and then give Hackenberg and Petty get the rest of the game.  Once the starters will be out on the field longer in weeks 2 and 3 is when it will start to make more sense for there to be any further debate over who should start that game.

While I have little doubt it will be used by the media to supposedly prove something, in this case starting McCown actually is the smart move... for now.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I certainly don't want to see McCown as the regular season starter, it actually makes the most sense to start him this week.  The starters get minimal playing time in week 1, and similarly McCown should be getting the least amount of playing time of all the QBs.  Give him a series or two and then give Hackenberg and Petty get the rest of the game.  Once the starters will be out on the field longer in weeks 2 and 3 is when it will start to make more sense for there to be any further debate over who should start that game.

While I have little doubt it will be used by the media to supposedly prove something, in this case starting McCown actually is the smart move... for now.

hRpU3vIVOpAl.jpg

The Jets fan conundrum: "growing Pains" Horror show that we force ourselves to watch

On August 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Gas2No99 said:

On August 11, 2017 at 10:26 AM, whodeawhodat said:

Is this official or your opinion?

Evidently, my opinion is official. :P

Archived