Does the NFL need to implement a draft lottery system?

drsamuel84

I know it's easy to look at this year in the bubble of a Jets fan view and say it's an overreaction to a tank year.  But let's be honest, with team success becoming more and more dependent on the ability to find a franchise QB, should the league seriously look into some sort of draft lottery system?  I mean this year alone you have the Jets, Bills, 49ers, and Browns basically going into the season rooting to lose.  I know not every draft is going to have this caliber of potential franchise QB's but I do think you may being to see this more and more as teams tear their rosters down with the hope of landing a top pick.  I know it wouldn't solve all the problems as teams would still want to have the best chance to "win" the lottery but it would decrease the emphasis on tanking especially late in the year.

1 minute ago, drsamuel84 said:

I know it's easy to look at this year in the bubble of a Jets fan view and say it's an overreaction to a tank year.  But let's be honest, with team success becoming more and more dependent on the ability to find a franchise QB, should the league seriously look into some sort of draft lottery system?  I mean this year alone you have the Jets, Bills, 49ers, and Browns basically going into the season rooting to lose.  I know not every draft is going to have this caliber of potential franchise QB's but I do think you may being to see this more and more as teams tear their rosters down with the hope of landing a top pick.  I know it wouldn't solve all the problems as teams would still want to have the best chance to "win" the lottery but it would decrease the emphasis on tanking especially late in the year.

I don't know... I think draft talent is so unknown that tanking isn't any kind of guarantee. Lots of people want it to be a simple math problem... Tank + 1st round pick = Success... But we all know it's not that simple... It depends on the players, the year, the overall team itself...

I just don't know if it's so much of an advantage for a team to try and tank or rebuild that it requires a rule change... Teams are going to do it, because their odds of getting better increase... But are they really so much better that the system needs to change? Eh... Not sure. 

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

I don't know... I think draft talent is so unknown that tanking isn't any kind of guarantee. Lots of people want it to be a simple math problem... Tank + 1st round pick = Success... But we all know it's not that simple... It depends on the players, the year, the overall team itself...

I just don't know if it's so much of an advantage for a team to try and tank or rebuild that it requires a rule change... Teams are going to do it, because their odds of getting better increase... But are they really so much better that the system needs to change? Eh... Not sure. 

I'd also argue correctly that not one of those teams are tanking, maybe the fan base is rooting for the tank, but the teams themselves are not trying to tank, look at the Bills they are 2-1, and just beat up on the Broncos, yes the 49ers are 0-3, but they have no interest in trying to lose, the Browns are rebuilding, and just suck at it, and Bowles has made it very clear he is in it to win it, and so has Macc considering he has given Bowles a veteran QB, and recently 2 veteran WR's to make sure they are competing.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

I'd also argue correctly that not one of those teams are tanking, maybe the fan base is rooting for the tank, but the teams themselves are not trying to tank, look at the Bills they are 2-1, and just beat up on the Broncos, yes the 49ers are 0-3, but they have no interest in trying to lose, the Browns are rebuilding, and just suck at it, and Bowles has made it very clear he is in it to win it, and so has Macc considering he has given Bowles a veteran QB, and recently 2 veteran WR's to make sure they are competing.

Right-o... Some how shedding aging "star" players has become synonymous with tanking too. They cut a couple 33+ year old WRs on the decline?! They're giving up everything!

Fans may root to lose. Teams do not. The draft is not based on the fans.

How are all those talented veterans that the Jets got rid of getting on elsewhere? You know, the guys who were going to win us all those games this year had we kept them?

No.  The NBA draft lottery is there for the purpose because there is a big difference picking 1st than picking 5th in the NBA.  The talent level drops significantly through each pick.  This is why they implemented the lottery system to avoid teams tanking in that league.  The NFL is not the same at all.   Whether you pick 1st or 30th in the NFL you can end up with the same caliber player but in the NBA the odds are horrendous.  I don't think it's ever been done.

Each year in the NFL draft mistakes are made. Prescott was 4th rounder, Carr a 2nd, Rogers went 17th I believe. Look at us, we had high picks & took Gholston, Milliner, Coples, Pryor, lol. There are future stars in every draft, just got to find them.

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

NO

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

No.  They don't.

And No, it wouldn't decrease any tanking whatsoever.

And No, none of the team you list are "tanking".  Just stop.

Stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

Archived