Bowles Sees no Need to Play Young QB’s

JetNation

Suppose McCown is infact the best QB on the roster, and the young QBs don't have starter potential. Would you rather:
1. Play McCown to let the other skill position players get experience playing with a better QB?
2. Play a young QB for tank reasons?
Personally, I would choose #1
Suppose u play petty & he plays lights out we have qb then! McCown is a piece of garbage. Fitz outplayed him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dink and Drunk said:

As I said, if the Jets can't win in the running game, they lose the game. McCown is exposed in obvious passing situations. Check out the yards per carry in the Bills win or win against he Jags. Your backs were putting up high yards per carry.

Did you read the analysis, or simply disagree with the punch line? 

Yeah, it's great stuff but your prediction of 6-10 or 7-9 is a little optimistic. 

Carolina - You think it's a loss, probably.

Kansas City - You think it's possible.

@Denver - You think we beat them in Denver.

@New Orleans - You say that's a loss, probably.

Chargers - You think it's possible.

@New England - Predicated on Tom Brady not playing.

So, you have two probable losses. That puts us at 4-8. So:

To finish 6-10, we have to beat Denver and one of the possibles (KC, SD) or Denver and beating a Tom Brady less Pats team in NE.

To finish 7-9, we have to beat Denver and BOTH possibles (KC, SD) or beating a Tom Brady less Pats team in NE.

Basically, you were very specific with HOW we can beat certain teams, but your prediction is predicated on "well, two or three maybes = one for sure" AND that is predicated on us definitely beating Denver in Denver as if they're not ten times better than Tampa Bay on defense, the same Tampa Bay they needed a last second bomb to get to TEN points from and as if Denver in January is the same thing as playing in Florida in early November.

So yeah, I'm counting Denver as a loss. So that puts us at 4-9. NOW to get to 6-10 we have to beat both San Diego and KC which is not likely or one of them PLUS Tom Brady has to sit out week 17, which is not going to happen.  And even if he does, we are not promised to win that last game anyway, especially when there is nothing to play for. The team likes Bowles, but I don't think they like him THAT much.

To get to 7-10, we have to beat BOTH of them PLUS Tom Brady has to sit out and we definitely win that game.

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah, it's great stuff but your prediction of 6-10 or 7-9 is a little optimistic. 

To finish 6-10, we have to beat Denver and one of the possibles (KC, SD) or Denver and beating a Tom Brady less Pats team in NE.

To finish 7-9, we have to beat Denver and BOTH possibles (KC, SD) or beating a Tom Brady less Pats team in NE.

Basically, you were very specific with HOW we can beat certain teams, but your prediction is predicated on "well, two or three maybes = one for sure" AND that is predicated on us definitely beating Denver in Denver as if they're not ten times better than Tampa Bay on defense, the same Tampa Bay they needed a last second bomb to get a respectable result from and as if Denver in January is the same thing as playing in Florida in early November.

After watching Sunday’s game it’s obvious if we can’t run we can’t win. Painfully obvious. I see no more victories and dead people . 

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Basically, you were very specific with HOW we can beat certain teams, but your prediction is predicated on "well, two or three maybes = one for sure" AND that is predicated on us definitely beating Denver in Denver as if they're not ten times better than Tampa Bay on defense, the same Tampa Bay they needed a last second bomb to get to TEN points from and as if Denver in January is the same thing as playing in Florida in early November.

I agree 7-9 might be too optimistic. I should have just said 6-10. I think we may be overreacting to the last game, not sure.

"well, two or three maybes = one for sure": Lets make this whole thing more mathematically precise. Lets specify winning probabilities game per game, and try to do the probability calculation for 4-10, 5-11, etc. Do you want to give me your win probability per game first? Maybe 538 or someone has one.

"Denver as if they're not ten times better than Tampa Bay on defense": I wonder if Tampa Bay defense is better than people realize, and if people are thinking about old Denver D of old. The Denver's defense is being exposed recently. If the Giants can make it happen, the Jets can. I also think that the particular game plan the Patriots used happens to some of the themes the Jets employ. Tampa is a base zone team has a bunch of good LBs, which happens to match up well vs. the Jets. I don't think you can trust McCown to spread the field consistently, so you are forced to play into their strengths. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game

16 minutes ago, Dink and Drunk said:

I agree 7-9 might be too optimistic. I should have just said 6-10. I think we may be overreacting to the last game, not sure.

"well, two or three maybes = one for sure": Lets make this whole thing more mathematically precise. Lets specify winning probabilities game per game, and try to do the probability calculation for 4-10, 5-11, etc. Do you want to give me your win probability per game first? Maybe 538 or someone has one.

"Denver as if they're not ten times better than Tampa Bay on defense": I wonder if Tampa Bay defense is better than people realize, and if people are thinking about old Denver D of old. The Denver's defense is being exposed recently. If the Giants can make it happen, the Jets can. I also think that the particular game plan the Patriots used happens to some of the themes the Jets employ. Tampa is a base zone team has a bunch of good LBs, which happens to match up well vs. the Jets. I don't think you can trust McCown to spread the field consistently, so you are forced to play into their strengths. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game

They're still eighth in the league in total defense whereas TB is 29th. The scoring avg is skewed by the 51 pt loss in Phi and the 41 by NE. In other games they're giving up 18 pts a game. You say we can beat the Chargers and KC because they can't play the run yet we SHOULD beat Denver who is number four in the league against the run because we can do the same things Tom Brady, Martellus Bennett, Rob Gronkowski, Brandin Cooks, James White and Rex Burkhead can do. They did it, why can't we? We're the same!

Somehow we've become this awesome running team which is also mind boggling as if the Bills who just got absolutely annihilated for 237 yards on the ground at home are a true indication of our prowess.

You're very knowledgeable, no doubt, but I think you're seeing things that aren't there because you see the specific possibilities instead of the entire picture.

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

They're still eighth in the league in total defense whereas TB is 29th. The scoring avg is skewed by the 51 pt loss in Phi and the 41 by NE. In other games they're giving up 18 pts a game. You say we can beat the Chargers and KC because they can't play the run yet we SHOULD beat Denver who is number four in the league against the run because we can do the same things Tom Brady, Martellus Bennett, Rob Gronkowski, Brandin Cooks, James White and Rex Burkhead can do. They did it, why can't we? We're the same!

Somehow we've become this awesome running team which is also mind boggling as if the Bills who just got absolutely annihilated for 237 yards on the ground at home are a true indication of our prowess.

TB also shut down NE pretty well (although the Pats were pretty banged up for that one). We can't just throw away that PHI and NE data. I understand what you are saying, more generally; there is a ton of uncertainty, and I was over optimistic. I sure as he.. don't think the Jets put up 40. I do think they will be able to score. To me the big unknown is Brock Lobster against your D. 

Forget, my particular guess. I want you to give your honest opinion on the Jets winning probability of all the remaining games. It will be fun to see their chances of each particular record. I can write it up as a r script. Or not either way! :)

"We're focused more on the Carolina Panthers than getting into that debate," quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates told reporters Tuesday. "Of course, we'll have that conversation at the end of the season. As an organization, this is professional football. This isn't Triple-A.

"We're going to play the best players that give us the opportunity to win at all positions. That's our philosophy and Josh [McCown] is our starter. He gives us the opportunity to win on Sunday and that's what we're focused on. We're focused on a very good Carolina Panthers team. ... At the end of the year, we'll have more conversations about the future."

The man is an utter bald faced liar with his players with the best Chance to win.  He failed to bench revis last year and mo wilk and Skrine earlier this year when they were obviously not giving us the best chance to win.  his this is not triple A comment is moronic and insulting.  by his standards he will never start a new young QB even if it is Darnold, Rosen or Mayfiled becasue you will always find some jag vet who has been around for 20 years that is 'better' as in knows the game more than a rookie.

We are doomed until we dump this clown.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"We're focused more on the Carolina Panthers than getting into that debate," quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates told reporters Tuesday. "Of course, we'll have that conversation at the end of the season. As an organization, this is professional football. This isn't Triple-A.

"We're going to play the best players that give us the opportunity to win at all positions. That's our philosophy and Josh [McCown] is our starter. He gives us the opportunity to win on Sunday and that's what we're focused on. We're focused on a very good Carolina Panthers team. ... At the end of the year, we'll have more conversations about the future."

The man is an utter bald faced liar with his players with the best Chance to win.  He failed to bench revis last year and mo wilk and Skrine earlier this year when they were obviously not giving us the best chance to win.  his this is not triple A comment is moronic and insulting.  by his standards he will never start a new young QB even if it is Darnold, Rosen or Mayfiled becasue you will always find some jag vet who has been around for 20 years that is 'better' as in knows the game more than a rookie.

We are doomed until we dump this clown.

Jeremy Bates is the QB coach

3 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Suppose u play petty & he plays lights out we have qb then! McCown is a piece of garbage. Fitz outplayed him

I don't think there is anything that Petty or Hack can show me in the last few weeks that would prevent me from addressing the QB this offseason. As a fan I'd love to see them for a "just because" but if playing McCown allows other players to grow and mature I'd rather that. Petty and Hack are both under contract for next year so we'll be able to see any growth next preseason if it's there.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Sorry for not stalking the sh*t out of your posts I guess?

So if the Jets are drafting Minkah, who is this magical savior of a QB you Sunshiners expect us to find?  The guy who is gonna make our already "bright future" even brighter?  The guy that will make 17 weeks of playing Josh f*cking McCown "the right move"?

I said signing McCown was a bad move the day it happened, go search it.

Sorry I disagree with you, if you try hard enough you can come to peace with it.

I'm moving on with my life now 

Here's something we know for sure, we are NOT winning any of the road games so Saints, Denver, Pats = losses.

Panthers- Chiefs-Chargers all have guys that can get to the QB & we have QB who holds the ball to long, slow release & bad oline.

4-12 & hopefully picking top 5.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Here's something we know for sure, we are NOT winning any of the road games so Saints, Denver, Pats = losses.

Panthers- Chiefs-Chargers all have guys that can get to the QB & we have QB who holds the ball to long, slow release & bad oline.

Yeah, losing out is a definite possibility. I was vacillating on the Chargers game, but like you said, Bosa can assault the QB. It's not gonna be an easy win.

Plus chicken arm

I think the only winnable games left for us are Denver and LA.

Denever game is at Mile High, so I think we lose.

Chargers have been playing well lately, and a few of their losses came down to 1 possession. They’ll be in thick of a wild card birth. So I think we lose that one as well.

As for the final game. BB historically does not rest players. So we’ll see. 

The rest of the games are tough. Losing out is a big possibility, and should net us a top 5 pick.

On 11/15/2017 at 8:51 AM, Gastineau Lives said:

So yeah, I'm counting Denver as a loss. So that puts us at 4-9. NOW to get to 6-10 we have to beat both San Diego and KC which is not likely or one of them PLUS Tom Brady has to sit out week 17, which is not going to happen.  And even if he does, we are not promised to win that last game anyway, especially when there is nothing to play for. The team likes Bowles, but I don't think they like him THAT much.

To get to 7-10, we have to beat BOTH of them PLUS Tom Brady has to sit out and we definitely win that game.

Counting Denver as a loss? Hahahah They are a dumpster ? 

• 2 weeks later...
There is no reason to play Petty.  He won't be on the roster in a few months.  I'm hoping that once we are mathematically eliminated Hack is the guy they play.  He at least has a chance to be on the team long term.
In the meantime the pitchfork crew will have to either wait for 9 losses or 3 bad games in a row before any changes will be made.  In other words - nothing has changed.
Petty is better then hack! What are you smoking

I might be in the small minority here but I think it's either Hackenburg or bust.  I'm not a believer in Petty, though I'd certainly rather see him than McCown.
It's ridiculous Hack can't get on the active roster in year 2.  I thought they should've given him snaps in the week 17 game last year but they were afraid to even do that.  I was absolutely certain this year he'd be a part of the team (certainly that he'd be on the active roster!) but I was wrong.  I remember when he was drafted there was talk that he needed at least 1 year and possibly 2 years of sitting and learning.  But generally you expect that you'd see something positive by year 2.  If he's still that much of a project then I don't see why the Jets don't cut him.  I have to believe they still have hopes for him.  Personally I'd at least like to see him play a little this year to see if maybe he can surprise everyone.  McCown and 6-10 is an absolute waste of a season. 
He's 3rd string for a reason! He stinks & he wasn't worthy of being drafted 2nd Rd! Moron gm for whatever reason drafted hackenbust

Archived