LUKE FALK played through a broken wrist all season

Paradis

Came out today that he's been playing with a broken wrist since mid-september. Weekly casting/cutoff...  This changes everything as far as i'm concerned. his touch and timing were obviously missing for stretches this season and makes for a complicated assessment now...

Don't think he's really in play for the Jets as he's likely a 2nd-3rd round guy, but damn... 

247Sports' Barry Bolton reports that Washington State senior QB Luke Falk played with a broken left wrist for most of the season.

Per Bolton, Falk broke his left wrist all the way back on Sept. 9, in a win over Boise State, and played the rest of the season with a cast on the injured hand (under a black glove). Washington State went to great lengths to keep this under wraps, with Falk cutting off the cast before media sessions so as to avoid questions. According to Bolton, the senior quarterback was forced to undergo surgery two weeks after the close of the regular season due to his increasing issues with mobility in the wrist. All of this explains why Falk was scratched from the team's Holiday Bowl loss to Michigan State earlier this week. It could also go a ways toward explaining why the gunslinger had himself a relatively down campaign by his standards, throwing for 3,593 yards with a 30/13 TD/INT ratio after posting back-to-back 38-touchdown seasons in 2015 and 2016. Falk's availability for the Senior Bowl is unknown, but this recent surgery could certainly throw a wrench into matters.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Came out today that he's been playing with a broken wrist since mid-september. Weekly casting/cutoff...  This changes everything as far as i'm concerned. his touch and timing were obviously missing for stretches this season and makes for a complicated assessment now...

Don't think he's really in play for the Jets as he's likely a 2nd-3rd round guy, but damn... 

Its a damn shame this kids dont get paid. 

If anything the injury raises Falk's stock in my eyes.  He showed toughness and incredible
production even while severely hampered.  It also makes his outplaying of Darnold during
the USC game even more impressive

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I would pick him in addition to the QB we draft in RD1. I find Falk very impressive.

I would pick him with a later pick if not for anything else to prevent the Patriots from getting him.  Don't know if he has the same drive but I see A LOT of Brady in him.  I'm sure that won't escape the Patriots.

I am not sure what the exact injury was\is, but generally speaking wrist injuries are brutal. My son tore a ligament in his wrist playing football his freshman year in college.  It is incredible that this guy could 1) hide it and 2) play it. Definitely raises his worth in my opinion. Has to be a really tough dude.

Chalk me up as another Falk fan, I liked him a lot even before this news. Some of his touch passes from 2016 are exquisite and he can fire it into a tight window, criticism of his arm strength is overplayed IMO and this news just adds to that. Also seems to do a good job of looking off receivers and doing the little things that pro scouts love. Another Parcells rule guy that ticks all the boxes.

On the downside his season was looking incredible up until that Cal meltdown and after that he was less impressive, Reminds me a bit of how Geno Smith played out his senior year at WVU and it was a shame not to see how he fared against the always tough MSU defense.

I think he will rise as the draft gets closer but would have not problem with having a ‘Falk Hero’ on the Jets!

On 01/01/2018 at 6:27 AM, Philc1 said:

Not his throwing hand but still a tough injury for anyone we need to draft 2 qbs in this draft so 

Every time he took a hit or a sack it must’ve been excruciating, he stands tall in the pocket despite this so I think we can mark him as a tough dude

On 1/1/2018 at 1:19 PM, Beerfish said:

This rationale is very Hackenburgesque if you ask me.  Raising a players value over something and thinking that 'oh he would have been a lot better if".

This is a guy who was talked about as a potential 1st rounder & Heisman candidate heading into the season based on his prior body of work, so it's not quite the same.

If he's still there in the 4th, I'd love to see the Jets do a double-dip at QB the way Washington did with Griffin and Cousins

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

This is a guy who was talked about as a potential 1st rounder & Heisman candidate heading into the season based on his prior body of work, so it's not quite the same.

If he's still there in the 4th, I'd love to see the Jets do a double-dip at QB the way Washington did with Griffin and Cousins

I would have no issue using a 4th rounder on him at all.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, redlichtie said:

Every time he took a hit or a sack it must’ve been excruciating, he stands tall in the pocket despite this so I think we can mark him as a tough dude

Playing with a broken anything must be hard

22 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Patriots will take him at beginning of round 2 or end of round 2, book it.

22 hours ago, section314 said:

With the pick they got from S.F. for Jimmy G.:D

yeah but thanks to jimmy g winning the last 5 games for the niners, we pick ahead of the pats in the 2nd round

On 1/5/2018 at 9:38 AM, bla bla bla said:

I don't think it would be wise to wait until round 2 to take a QB

I agree but I like Falk.   I want a QB so bad and this is a QB driven league I wouldn't even hate on Mac if he drafted a QB in Rd's 1 and 2..... 

And sure everyone can say we can't waist draft picks, we have holes.    That's what everyone said about the Niners too looking to the 2018 draft and then they trade for Jimmy G and as soon as he starts playing they don't lose...... We can fill the holes we have thru Free Agency and the rest of the draft.... We have to find a QB.   Before we do anything else.....

26 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

I agree but I like Falk.   I want a QB so bad and this is a QB driven league I wouldn't even hate on Mac if he drafted a QB in Rd's 1 and 2..... 

And sure everyone can say we can't waist draft picks, we have holes.    That's what everyone said about the Niners too looking to the 2018 draft and then they trade for Jimmy G and as soon as he starts playing they don't lose...... We can fill the holes we have thru Free Agency and the rest of the draft.... We have to find a QB.   Before we do anything else.....

We need a QB but I think taking 2 early or signing Cousins and taking 1 early would send mixed messages to the team. IMO 1 QB per offseason unless there is very clearly a separation of expectation like RG3 vs Cousins for the first 3 years.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

We need a QB but I think taking 2 early or signing Cousins and taking 1 early would send mixed messages to the team. IMO 1 QB per offseason unless there is very clearly a separation of expectation like RG3 vs Cousins for the first 3 years.

Fair enough.... I have said it in some other thread before....  Take Mayfield, Allen or whoever is there that's left from the top QB's at 6 and then in Rd 4 take Mike Reily or Riley Ferguson...   To me the QB talent this year is pretty deep and I believe the Jets should take 2 QBs in this draft.. Maybe not 1st and 2nd rd, though like I said I wouldn't be mad, but grab the guy you are high on early and grab the guy you see that has huge upside in that middle rd.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

Well he fits the Petty/Hack mold of good size and poor mobility. Toughness, frame to add strength and better accuracy make him worth a real hard look...but I can't see him getting popped before the 3rd with all the other guys out there.

Too accurate for Big Mac.  

Archived