Jets and Broncos looking to move up for a QB

Jetsbb

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know.  it's hard to gage how the johnson bros view all this.  my feeling is bowles and mac need to be playoff competitive this next season and make the playoffs in 2019 or bust.  that kind of puts them on a 3 year timeline if you count this past season as year 1.  it's a little bit of a mind game but it's something that can be sold.

Then why bother with an extension - a 2-year extension at that?

A 1-year extension accomplishes that goal - or no extension and let them go into their final year as-is).

A 2-year extension (on top of the 1 year each already had remaining) is a vote of confidence to keep doing little increments, not a "this season's your last chance, you two" move.

True, he didn't give each 5-year extensions, but it goes without saying that they haven't earned it. So what makes them worthy of a 2-year extension? Nothing, other than Johnson family logic.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Literally nobody thinks that will happen so I'm not sure I understand this as the reply.

In response to a suggestion they have to put a product (read: team product) on the field the fans are excited about, I said they don't. And they don't.

They could draft a QB who stinks, and have some people excited but they're mostly not-excited (like with Hackenberg) and they'll still keep their job. Like they did before. With Hackenberg/Fitz in 1 season, followed by McCown the next season, followed by an extension. lol

You were replying to "they have got to put something interesting on the field to interest fans. Their jobs depend on it" and you said "No they don't they just got extensions"

There is no way this fan base will be interested in anything less than what I mentioned previously. If they don't get Cousins or a 1st round rookie I don't think their job is safe. Unless you think there is another scenario that would interest this fan base?

On 1/4/2018 at 6:38 PM, Jetsbb said:

Our extra second round pick will be critical to beat the Broncos. They are one spot above us but they have the 40th pick while we have the 37th and 49. We should be able to blow them out of the water not to mention if a next years pick is involved teams will speculate the Jets would be worse than the Broncos next year. Bottom line Maccagnon would have to be extraordinarily incompetent to lose to the Broncos in a trade up. Sheldon Richardson may have given us our franchise QB.

Thanks, Idzik.

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

This

Yeah, it’s going to take a monster contract to land Cousins, but by doing so you’re most likely solving the QB situation for the next 5+ years barring injury.

We’ve been paying a slapdick 320lb interior DL $17-18 million a year lately to make a minimum impact. I have no issue paying a 29 year old franchise QB an extra ten, finally feeling comfortable about the QB position moving forward, and retaining all of our draft picks.

This. Honestly, I’m okay with signing cousins, drafting Barkley or Chubb. Then picking up Falk or Mason Tudolph in late R1, early R2, whatever it takes to get one of them.

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Ravens D? Anyways they kicked our butt pretty convincingly. A QB and that team is right back being very competitive.

Sorry, I don't believe it. We're just bad, and even our better teams never won in Denver. D Thomas is 30, Sanders will be 31. Plus all the highest paid players are 28 or over.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, detectivekimble said:

The worst case scenario for the Jets is that Darnold and Rosen go to the Browns and Giants, respectively, and Cousins signs with the Broncos.

If you're the Jets, you have to get one of those guys.  

No you don't. Stay at 6 or trade down a few spots and take Rudolph.

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

You were replying to "they have got to put something interesting on the field to interest fans. Their jobs depend on it" and you said "No they don't they just got extensions"

There is no way this fan base will be interested in anything less than what I mentioned previously. If they don't get Cousins or a 1st round rookie I don't think their job is safe. Unless you think there is another scenario that would interest this fan base?

They could draft another QB who barely sees the field and still not get fired. If you think otherwise you're entitled to your opinion, of course, but you're kidding yourself.

If they put Sam Bradford (i.e. neither a rookie nor Kirk Cousins) on the field for all season long and went 8-8 or better, with a 3rd round QB never starting a game in 2018, both their jobs would be very safe.

Only possible thing I could imagine is if - and really, no one expects this so it's silly to presume it as a scenario - they only picked up a Bradford-type and a 3rd rounder who is Hackenberg-esque in practice, and went 6-10. Even then I wouldn't say it's definite, which is saying something. The Johnsons have demonstrated very low demands of their head coaches and GMs. 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then why bother with an extension - a 2-year extension at that?

A 1-year extension accomplishes that goal - or no extension and let them go into their final year as-is).

A 2-year extension (on top of the 1 year each already had remaining) is a vote of confidence to keep doing little increments, not a "this season's your last chance, you two" move.

True, he didn't give each 5-year extensions, but it goes without saying that they haven't earned it. So what makes them worthy of a 2-year extension? Nothing, other than Johnson family logic.

Scary insinuations. It seems to indicate 1- McClown will be back as the unmitigated starter. 2- We will not be drafting a QB for the future 3- All or any draft picks will not be traded or used for a QB and will be used for long term 4- No bonafide FA QB, like a Cousins, is imminent for at least another 2 years {2020}. If this happens I won’t be watching, I’ll just post on here ?

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

Scary insinuations. It seems to indicate 1- McClown will be back as the unmitigated starter. 2- We will not be deterred acting a QB for the future 3- All or any draft picks will not be traded and will be used for long term 4- No bonafide FA QB, like a Cousins, is imminent for at least another 2 years {2019}. If this happens I won’t be watching, I’ll just post on here ?

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I wrote; I meant it's not any insinuation, and no one actually expects it. Personally, I'll be surprised if he doesn't bring in a "name" QB (literally either Cousins or a 1st round QB). I'm just saying if he didn't, he's not automatically getting fired. The Johnsons don't exactly demand success.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I wrote; I meant it's not any insinuation, and no one actually expects it. Personally, I'll be surprised if he doesn't bring in a "name" QB (literally either Cousins or a 1st round QB). I'm just saying if he didn't, he's not automatically getting fired. The Johnsons don't exactly demand success.

Depends on what Woody has felt in regards to an employee.  He had a short leash with Mangini and a short leash with Idzik.  Here wasn't and should have been fired when he quit.  He liked Rex and hung on too long.  No one outside of this place feels that he should have did what he did with Bowles and Macc.  

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Gotcha. From his prior moves it’s hard to decipher what this bean head is going to do. Does he feel like his time is running out therefore he has to make a drastic move? He’s got 3 years at this point to make the playoffs - that’s his measuring stick. If he drafts a rookie this year, it will take a year or 2 (2019-2020) for a rookie QB to come up to speed. Cousins immediately makes you a better well rounded club but I’m totally against this as we are just void of overall talent and he will cost a fortune. I agree that whatever he chooses to do, he’s safe in Johnson & Johnson eyes. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Depends on what Woody has felt in regards to an employee.  He had a short leash with Mangini and a short leash with Idzik.  Here wasn't and should have been fired when he quit.  He liked Rex and hung on too long.  No one outside of this place feels that he should have did what he did with Bowles and Macc.  

Those 2 were exceptions to say the least. But for benching Favre on his start-streak being a whole big thing at the time (playing no small part in the team's late collapse), and fans having an unprecedented ousterfest with Idzik, I think both of them would have survived another season as well. 

Hell, the guy would've kept Herm for even longer if the Chiefs hadn't tampered with him. Went looking for a GM and still held onto lame duck Rex with a declining roster and no cap room.

I think it's uncontroversial to say he didn't and doesn't know what he's doing, and actually sees his (or his brother's) oversight as some sort of asset.

14 minutes ago, BigO said:

Gotcha. From his prior moves it’s hard to decipher what this bean head is going to do. Does he feel like his time is running out therefore he has to make a drastic move? He’s got 3 years at this point to make the playoffs - that’s his measuring stick. If he drafts a rookie this year, it will take a year or 2 (2019-2020) for a rookie QB to come up to speed. Cousins immediately makes you a better well rounded club but I’m totally against this as we are just void of overall talent and he will cost a fortune. I agree that whatever he chooses to do, he’s safe in Johnson & Johnson eyes. 

What's funny to me - ok it's not funny - is that some of the same people in favor of the extension expressed, after he drafted Hackenberg in rd 2, that if this doesn't work out he should be fired. That this is his bed and now he has to lay in it, and he should be judged as a talent evaluator based on that pick alone. And that was before any of them had even the wildest imagination that the guy wouldn't have taken 1 regular season snap in 2 seasons, firmly buried behind the likes of Geno Smith, Josh McCown, and Bryce Petty.

If it puts your mind at ease, since when has Maccagnan spent wisely in free agency? If he doesn't blow so much $ on Cousins, he'll blow it on far worse, like guaranteeing Tahir Whitehead 2 years at $13m per or something. Or take your pick at his next sub-moronic veteran contract in his line of Skrine, Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Gilchrist, Forte, Jenkins, Mo, Fitz, etc.

There's no hope anyway with this fool building a team and the other fool coaching it, so sure, go sign Cousins. At least he's not a sure thing flop lol.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Those 2 were exceptions to say the least. But for benching Favre on his start-streak being a whole big thing at the time (playing no small part in the team's late collapse), and fans having an unprecedented ousterfest with Idzik, I think both of them would have survived another season as well. 

Hell, the guy would've kept Herm for even longer if the Chiefs hadn't tampered with him. Went looking for a GM and still held onto lame duck Rex with a declining roster and no cap room.

I think it's uncontroversial to say he didn't and doesn't know what he's doing, and actually sees his (or his brother's) oversight as some sort of asset.

Disagree that Idzik was totally because of fans.  

Herm had his issues, beyond the lunatic fans who still whine about BBQs. But fact is his down years were when his QB went down and he made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years here.  I don't have to like him, I'm not strong either way with him, but I sure can understand given his record here, keeping hi on a little longer.  I said Rex was a screw up, he liked Rex too much.  

I think it's too easy for fans to say he doesn't know what he's doing.  its downright preposterous to say his brother doesn't, we have no idea yet.  Players absolutely love and respect him,let's see before we start the whining

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's funny to me - ok it's not funny - is that some of the same people in favor of the extension expressed, after he drafted Hackenberg in rd 2, that if this doesn't work out he should be fired. That this is his bed and now he has to lay in it, and he should be judged as a talent evaluator based on that pick alone. And that was before any of them had even the wildest imagination that the guy wouldn't have taken 1 regular season snap in 2 seasons, firmly buried behind the likes of Geno Smith, Josh McCown, and Bryce Petty.

If it puts your mind at ease, since when has Maccagnan spent wisely in free agency? If he doesn't blow so much $ on Cousins, he'll blow it on far worse, like guaranteeing Tahir Whitehead 2 years at $13m per or something. Or take your pick at his next sub-moronic veteran contract in his line of Skrine, Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Gilchrist, Forte, Jenkins, Mo, Fitz, etc.

There's no hope anyway with this fool building a team and the other fool coaching it, so sure, go sign Cousins. At least he's not a sure thing flop lol.

I see. You’re forcing me to reconsider watching these games by using reverse logic. Of course you’re right. At least with Cousins most of the fan base can embrace the illusion that this team is moving forward in the right direction, if going from 5-11 to 8-8 is progress, then I hope they enjoy the mediocrity.  Anyways I’m hoping vs. hope he trades up to #1 and takes Darnold or Rosen. At least the traded picks would go for a good cause rather than being wasted on the way. His next crop of FA’s will ultimately fail and he’ll finally be fired after 2019 or 2020.  But we will at least have a QB.

23 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

To guarantee we get either Darnold, Rosen, or mayfield. It’s impossible to know now which 1 will be there at 3. 

I'd do it for Darnold or Rosen.  I wouldn't trade anything for Mayfield or draft him at 6.

Archived