Jets and Broncos looking to move up for a QB

Jetsbb

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People are vastly overrating how much eli has left in the tank imo.

Hey nothing I would like better than to have them not take a Qb but I think they are smarter than that.  You do not get to or aspire to get two the 2nd pick in the draft so when you find yourself there you should take a Qb if the need is there.

In the end it will depend on how they feel about Darnold and Rosen.

I get the logic behind it, they likely won't draft this high again until after Eli retires and even then that could be a stretch. It's not real easy to land a top 3 pick without getting a regime fired. My gut is teams aren't overly fond of Rosen and I think Darnold goes #1. I think the Giants will hold out until they are on the clock to make a trade, that way they see if Darnold is an option.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

To be worth the pick, I dont think the Giants can sit the QB for two years. It has to be at most 1 year.

I don't see why they couldn't sit him for 2 years, the hard part will be at the first sign of regression from Eli NY will be chanting for the rookie. If the Giants think they may have something in Webb, which sounds true, I could see them taking a QB in round 2 so there isn't as much pressure to remove Eli and it gives them 2 years to determine between Webb and the rookie.

Just now, southtown24th said:

This is true.

It all comes down to how much Gettleman thinks Eli has left in the tank...that's what this is all riding on.

And whether Gettleman is all in on one of these QBs.

I think a Giants Jets trade is not out of the realm of possibility because I think at the end of the day, Mara and Gettleman will do the think that bests suits them

In the Yankees Mets case, the Mets were the team that were not willing to trade. The Yankees approached them for a trade.

Smart organizations dont care about trading to division rivals (Philadelphia trading McNabb) or crosstown rivals 

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I don't see why they couldn't sit him for 2 years, the hard part will be at the first sign of regression from Eli NY will be chanting for the rookie. If the Giants think they may have something in Webb, which sounds true, I could see them taking a QB in round 2 so there isn't as much pressure to remove Eli and it gives them 2 years to determine between Webb and the rookie.

It would be like Hackenberg. except much more. HAckenberg was a second round pick. This QB would be the number 2 pick in the draft

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This is why you blow the Giants away with an offer for the #2 pick. The giants don't NEED a QB and can be enticed by a volume of good picks that puts them in the SB hunt for the next two years.

Frankly, the Giants GM is committing professional malpractice if he is not actively shopping the pick to gauge it's value. And there is not way that the uncertain futures of either Darnold or Rosen can outweigh the real chances of a SB win that multiple high picks would afford the Giants.

So let me get this straight. You are against signing Cousins because he turns 30 next year but you also think that Giants shouldn't draft a QB because they have Manning? #makessense

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

So let me get this straight. You are against signing Cousins because he turns 30 next year but you also think that Giants shouldn't draft a QB because they have Manning? #makessense

It does make sense. Manning won two SBs and is going to the Hall of Fame and he IS the Giants QB right now -- a team that considered itself a QB contender before it was overcome by critical season ending injuries and a flawed O line. 

The Jets were considered the team most likely to go 0-16. Cousins does nothing for the Jets as he enters the declining years of a so-so career. If the Giants use picks to help Manning win another SB, it is more than worth it.  

15 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I've heard the cap space aurgument before and it is valid. However if Elway really wants Cousins, they will dump salaries, renegotiate players, whomever they have to. The question is Cousins ready to go to the best situation to win a Super Bowl or continue on the path to the most money?

That said, there are other QB options for the Broncos. ProFootball Focus feel certain that the Chiefs are ready to move onto the Mahones era next season, no matter how far they get in the playoffs with Smith.

Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins made$19.9 million last year. This year, he'll earn $23.9 million. But you wouldn't guess his salary based on what he drives: a dented GMC Savana passenger van with more than 100,000 miles on it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/22/washington-redskins-quarterback-kirk-cousins-drives-a-dented-van.html

1 minute ago, lounap23 said:

It makes sense for the Giants to trade down and get picks.... Especially if they can get anther #1 pick in 2019.. gives them ammo to go up and get a QB then or they can invest a 2nd rd pick in Jackson and groom him and Webb...  

If the Giants want to locate a successor to Eli and still build to win with Eli, they should trade for Deshone Kizer -- his upside is as good as every QB in the current draft except Rosen (who has injury concerns).

1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Broncos will NOT trade up for another project qb. They will sign one of the Vets available.

I agree. They drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round and got burned. They brought in a less than physically able Peyton Manning and won a SB. So, they'll try to replicate the formula that resulted in success, not the one that resulted in failure.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

The Giants top need is not a Quarterback, Eli is still alright and can be great with a team around him. One of their biggest struggles last year was a trash heap of an O-Line. They also had a really bad Running game which is why many Giants fans are calling for Barkley.

It's not their top need but as an organization they have to look at the future being that Eli is up there in age and they may also believe they are not a team that should be in this high up in the draft too often.  If one of these guys is that good then they should do the smart thing and pick on instead of going in search of one every dam year like the Jets and several other teams after Eli s gone.

43 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree. They drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round and got burned. They brought in a less than physically able Peyton Manning and won a SB. So, they'll try to replicate the formula that resulted in success, not the one that resulted in failure.

Exactly. Also, their defense is set to win now. They don't have time to mess around with another rookie qb who more than likely is not ready to play.

I think the best case scenario at this point is signing Cousins, then drafting the best edge rusher or LT at 6, or maybe even Saquon. Worst case QB scenario is we trade up to 3 for a Mayfield or Allen, both with high bust potential, and lose our near future high picks as well.

18 hours ago, Bugg said:

Don't follow the Skins, but the Rosenberg guy on the Kay show is a big Skins fan and discussed this some today. Cousins has been tagged 2X, and the anger between Cousins and GM Bruce Allen and Daniel Snyder is very real. He is not going back to DC, and the Skins front office isn;t going to tag him again either.

he's gonna sign with denver  ;)

25 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Exactly. Also, their defense is set to win now. They don't have time to mess around with another rookie qb who more than likely is not ready to play.

I keep thinking how many points will the Broncos need to score to win if Chubb is lined up opposite to Miller? 

My preference in order:

1 - trade up to #1 or #2 to get Darnold or Rosen

2 - trade up to #3 or #4 to get Mayfield

3 - sign Cousins

I think the Giants #2 pick is the wild card here.  If there's any chance for Mac to trade for this pick, no price should be considered too steep. Drafting Darnold or Rosen would be the best and most exciting thing that has happened to this franchise in a long time. The reward far outweighs the risk IMO.

19 hours ago, flgreen said:

Your right about that.  One of the reason I think the Jets are going to go very hard after Cousins..    Yes, over pay him.  This will be their 4th season, they have got to put something on the field to interest the fans.  Their jobs depend on it.  

Would have to give up a ton to get a QB, who may or may not be good one day.

No they don't. They just got extensions through 2020.

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I think the best case scenario at this point is signing Cousins, then drafting the best edge rusher or LT at 6, or maybe even Saquon. Worst case QB scenario is we trade up to 3 for a Mayfield or Allen, both with high bust potential, and lose our near future high picks as well.

This

Yeah, it’s going to take a monster contract to land Cousins, but by doing so you’re most likely solving the QB situation for the next 5+ years barring injury.

We’ve been paying a slapdick 320lb interior DL $17-18 million a year lately to make a minimum impact. I have no issue paying a 29 year old franchise QB an extra ten, finally feeling comfortable about the QB position moving forward, and retaining all of our draft picks.

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

That is certainly the maintain mediocrity route.

I don't understand the desire to pay whatever it costs to sign Kirk Cousins. His numbers this season, playing for a better team than the Jets, were just about the same as McCown's on a per game average. Do people believe that Morton will get more out of Cousins than Jay Gruden is? The guy will be 30 when the 2018 season starts. I thought the Jets were rebuilding? Signing Cousins seems like an odd thing to do in a rebuild?

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don't understand the desire to pay whatever it costs to sign Kirk Cousins. His numbers this season, playing for a better team than the Jets, were just about the same as McCown's on a per game average. Do people believe that Morton will get more out of Cousins than Jay Gruden is? The guy will be 30 when the 2018 season starts. I thought the Jets were rebuilding? Signing Cousins seems like an odd thing to do in a rebuild?

Which makes it the most likely outcome...#-o

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Denver has a chance to make a run? You do realize they lost 8 games in a row & their starting WRs are over 30 years old right? This isn't the Ray Lewis Ravens defense anymore & to sign Cousins they have to weaken their defense by letting a player like Talib go. Their Oline was worse than ours. Denvers Super Bowl window is CLOSED.

Ravens D? Anyways they kicked our butt pretty convincingly. A QB and that team is right back being very competitive.

10 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I support pretty much any move it takes to go up and get a QB..  I’m tired of not having one  this position has been a mess for way to long . 

It’s a passing league. Get the damn QB. Next fortify the OL. We have tons of money so revamp it immediately.  All those guys on the line now would provide excellent depth.  Next  would be to revamping the secondary since it’s ‘a passing league’. 2 very good corners and you’re defense suddenly becomes all that much better.  

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No they don't. They just got extensions through 2020.

There is no way that Macc of Bowles makes it through next year if we have McCown or Bradford and no rookie QB sitting behind them. I don't care that they got an extension they'll be out the door. IMO their only guideline for this offseason was get us a QB the can be "The Guy" for the foreseeable future. Cousins or a Rookie 1st rounder fit that bill.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

There is no way that Macc of Bowles makes it through next year if we have McCown or Bradford and no rookie QB sitting behind them. I don't care that they got an extension they'll be out the door. IMO their only guideline for this offseason was get us a QB the can be "The Guy" for the foreseeable future. Cousins or a Rookie 1st rounder fit that bill.

Literally nobody thinks that will happen so I'm not sure I understand this as the reply.

In response to a suggestion they have to put a product (read: team product) on the field the fans are excited about, I said they don't. And they don't.

They could draft a QB who stinks, and have some people excited but they're mostly not-excited (like with Hackenberg) and they'll still keep their job. Like they did before. With Hackenberg/Fitz in 1 season, followed by McCown the next season, followed by an extension. lol

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Literally nobody thinks that will happen so I'm not sure I understand this as the reply.

In response to a suggestion they have to put a product (read: team product) on the field the fans are excited about, I said they don't. And they don't.

They could draft a QB who stinks, and have some people excited but they're mostly not-excited (like with Hackenberg) and they'll still keep their job. Like they did before. With Hackenberg/Fitz in 1 season, followed by McCown the next season, followed by an extension. lol

i don't know.  it's hard to gage how the johnson bros view all this.  my feeling is bowles and mac need to be playoff competitive this next season and make the playoffs in 2019 or bust.  that kind of puts them on a 3 year timeline if you count this past season as year 1.  it's a little bit of a mind game but it's something that can be sold.

Archived