Contingency plans; Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson

RedBeardedSavage

Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2018 QB prospect do you prefer for the Jets @ the sixth pick?

• Neither; wait another year
    • Neither; take a different prospect later in the draft
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Josh Allen

54 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Polian is a genius GM and deserves every achievement he has earned. Guy knows what he’s talking about. This right here might be a little extreme..don’t think he needs to move to WR like Braxton Miller did ... but I do think his point was made that he isn’t a good QB for the pros. 

I’m sure there’s certain coaches that wouldn’t know what to do with a player like that, but if he went to a system like andy reid runs we’re talking MVP upside

Taking into account I don't know more about either one than I've just casually read:

By instinct, I generally prefer a pocket passer, but all such passers are not close to equal. I generally prefer a good pocket passer, and (on paper) despite the gut feelings of some, so far the picture I'm seeing painted is Allen's got quite a ways to go to be a good pocket passer (if he can ever actually become one).

Jackson is hardly supposed to be a finished product either, but in the meantime he has far more to offset that learning curve with his legs. I think with either one there's a good chance they'll be drafting a QB again by the end of their rookie contracts, and in the meantime Jackson's x-factor traits will stop team from just teeing off on him like they might with Allen. Plus he'd be exciting as hell to watch (at least while he's upright), unless he's truly terrible as a passer I guess, lol.

In all seriousness, if they take either of these two in round 1, I'd be in favor of them going the 2012 Redskins route and take another QB in the same draft. Maybe not in round 3 like Washington did, depending on who's there at another position, but I wouldn't hesitate doing so in the 4th-5th. Frankly even if they took a Falk or similar in round 3, the thought of losing out on another 3rd rounder like Winters, Mauldin, or Stewart won't keep me up at night. Would be even better if they could accomplish this by trading down a little for Jackson, and taking another QB with the extra pick we added.

We're a team that needs a QB right now, so we can't wait for later - with a Falk level prospect as our top pick - if we lose out on our first 4 choices (counting Cousins among this top 4). But the class is allegedly deep enough that IMO we might as well take advantage of that if we end up with one of the less-heralded prospects as our top prize (even at #6). Neither Allen nor Jackson - just from what I'm reading - seems a sure enough solution alone to put all our eggs in 1 basket, and Jackson will always be an injury risk for the same traits that make him a special talent in the first place.

Just an idea. Also things have more shuffling around to do after the combine, and Jackson may fall to a 2nd round prospect, or only marginally above that, which would negate all the above lol.

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

I’m just saying jackson is being slept on. I think polian is nuts, even josh mccown spoke up about it. the scouts will fall in line at the combine when they see these kids throwing side by side

Unlike former NFL G.M. Bill Polian, who has hitched his wagon to the “Lamar Jacksonshould move to receiver” narrative, McCown believes Jackson will thrive.

“A lot of times what you have to look at is what are these young guys being asked to do in their systems?” McCown said. “When you get a talent like Lamar you can go, ‘Man, there is so much that we can do.’ Especially with . . . the RPOs and things like that. There’s an ability to move the football with his legs. We saw it at times when he just won football games with his legs, period.

“I think sometimes when you see that then it’s easy to just go, ‘Man, he should play receiver.’ But when you watch this guy throw the ball, he’s really got a good whip. The ball comes out of his hand pretty hard. Those are the things I think you have to take into consideration.”

McCown actually thinks that, with the changes to the pro game in recent years, Jackson could do even better at the next level.

“You get a guy like that — and I’m not comparing him to Dak Prescott — but why did Dak Prescott go in the fourth round?” McCown said. “Well, because maybe in college he wasn’t being asked to make some of these throws and play in a system. Then he gets into the league, and his game translates to the league better than college. I think Lamar Jackson could fall in that mold where you get this kid and you say, ‘Hey do these things,’ and that may open up a whole other part of his skill set that we didn’t see. Even more recently Deshaun Watson last year. He’s an intriguing prospect to me because of his athleticism, because of the home run speed that he has and because I think when you get him into a system there’s a lot of upside for him.”

Polian is an idiot, and I've never been a fan of his. Peyton kept him in Indy as long as he did and Indy would have won more than 1 SB with a more competent GM.

In Carolina, he drafted Kerry Collins over Steve McNair LMFAO.

I don't take him seriously especially when it comes to QBs

I’m just saying jackson is being slept on. I think polian is nuts, even josh mccown spoke up about it. the scouts will fall in line at the combine when they see these kids throwing side by side

Unlike former NFL G.M. Bill Polian, who has hitched his wagon to the “Lamar Jacksonshould move to receiver” narrative, McCown believes Jackson will thrive.

“A lot of times what you have to look at is what are these young guys being asked to do in their systems?” McCown said. “When you get a talent like Lamar you can go, ‘Man, there is so much that we can do.’ Especially with . . . the RPOs and things like that. There’s an ability to move the football with his legs. We saw it at times when he just won football games with his legs, period.

“I think sometimes when you see that then it’s easy to just go, ‘Man, he should play receiver.’ But when you watch this guy throw the ball, he’s really got a good whip. The ball comes out of his hand pretty hard. Those are the things I think you have to take into consideration.”

McCown actually thinks that, with the changes to the pro game in recent years, Jackson could do even better at the next level.

“You get a guy like that — and I’m not comparing him to Dak Prescott — but why did Dak Prescott go in the fourth round?” McCown said. “Well, because maybe in college he wasn’t being asked to make some of these throws and play in a system. Then he gets into the league, and his game translates to the league better than college. I think Lamar Jackson could fall in that mold where you get this kid and you say, ‘Hey do these things,’ and that may open up a whole other part of his skill set that we didn’t see. Even more recently Deshaun Watson last year. He’s an intriguing prospect to me because of his athleticism, because of the home run speed that he has and because I think when you get him into a system there’s a lot of upside for him.”

Jackson is the next rg 3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Jackson at six is insane

How so?

his rocket arm?

his blazing speed and dynamic athleticism?

his accuracy although he had more percentage drops from teammates than any other top tier QB in the draft?

His height? He'll measure in above 6'2 which is your average size NFL QB.

Hos college production? 

Bc he's not a sure thing? None of them are. 

How so?
his rocket arm?
his blazing speed and athleticism?
his accuracy although he had more percentage drops from teammates than any other top tier QB in the draft?
Hos college production? 
If Mayfield is there I draft him. If only Allen or Jackson available I trade down! Also jets have a qb with a cannon his name is hackenburg. Big arm doesn't automatically guarantee success

this scenario assumes cousins isn't signed.  imo their best move would be to go after mccarron and then use the 6 pick on a top prospect or get someone later like falk or lauletta.  as for allen or jackson, i'd pick allen.  jackson has wide receiver written all over him.

16 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

If Mayfield is there I draft him. If only Allen or Jackson available I trade down! Also jets have a qb with a cannon his name is hackenburg. Big arm doesn't automatically guarantee success

You just cherry picked the argument. Allen will most likely be gone but it's too far away to know where any of their values end up landing as to whether trading down or up will even be an option. 

I'm not advocating taking Jackson at 6 but I haven't really found a good argument why it wouldn't be exciting. He checks as many boxes as any other QB prospect. Maybe some of the boxes to check are different per QB prospect but I fail to see how it would be absurd to think about at the moment.

Bill Polian has somehow been proclaimed a Genius, lol. Listen, I like the guy but he was GM in Buffalo & Jim Kelly is super underrated. 

Marv Levy was a great coach, brilliant guy, and the K gun offense was awesome. Then Polian just stepped in sh*t with Payton Manning. Payton Manning is a NY Jet if Parcells agrees to promise he'll take him #1 overall. Parcells balks, Manning stays in School, Jets take Keyshawn Johnson, and the next year the Colts have the #1 pick overall & take Manning, lol. Oh my god, Bill Polian is a genius, lol. 

If he was a genius the Colts would have won more than 1 Super Bowl. He's like an old NFL codger now, stuck in his ways, unable to see the forest for the trees. It's a new era in the NFL, and Lamar Jackson is going to be the new Randall Cunningham. Just imagine Randall playing with these new rules protecting the QB, defenseless WRs, using the sideline, throwing the ball away. You take a really smart, 6'-3" kid with crazy speed, a whip arm, and build an offense around him with a couple stud RBs, some good sized possession WRs, a TE, a mobile Oline with a really good center in the Mawae mold, and with 3 years NFL experience, Jacksons gonna be a nightmare. 

I pray to god that if the Jets don't take him, he ends up in the NFC. He just seems like one of those transcendent players that comes along & flips the entire script of what QB should look like in the NFL & turn it on its head. 

I watched A LOT of Carson Wentz this year, and the guy just makes plays, and most of them were improvisation but he always keeps his head up, looking down field. I think that's the way Jackson will be once everything slows down for him. I truly believe that when Jackson gets experience & the game slows down, he's gonna be playing at another level. The type of level where he knows EXACTLY when he's got enough for a 1st & just slides, or when to just turn on the Jets & smoke it. When to FAKE like he's taking off to draw a LB, and just floats it to a wide open TE or RB. All I hear about this guy is that he's smart, a gym rat, studies his azz off, coachable, calm, and has GOTTEN BETTER EVERY YEAR! Wait until he grows up! 

His upside is crazy! 

7 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Not 1 draft board outside this forum rates Jackson over any other qbs I'm thinking you're all the same people who said geno Smith was a franchise qb

And those same draft boards rated Paxton Lynch over Dak Prescott 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

How so?

his rocket arm?

Hos college production? 

Amazing how Jackson at 6’3 is considered too short but Mayfield at 6’0 no one cares

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

How so?

his rocket arm?

Hos college production? 

because doofus thinks he’s RG3 

Archived