Combine Results Thread

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I always go back to the fact that this example makes no sense. You didn’t need to watch a single snap of Eli’s college career to know he was a great prospect.

So without watching a single snap and going on stats alone, the debate for the #1 pick this year is obviously Jackson and Mayfield right? 

The point is simple. Stats are for fans, the guys making the call watch them and look for qualities that make a good NFL QB 

If stats are a reliable predictor, prove it. 

Show us the top statistical seasons of the draft eligible QBs going back 10 years and where they were drafted and how their careers turned out 

Then rank this years class based on stats alone. 

If you are right about stats and can prove it i will gladly concede the point and even let you choose my sig until training camp, with editorial approval of course. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is a weird trend that’s been apparent for a year now: ex-players love Allen and rip on Rosen. 

I have never seen ex-players extol a player like they have with Allen. David Carr kept using the word RIDICULOUS after some of his throws. He seemed really surprised by his laser accuracy on those deep outs. Him & Steve Smith were commenting on how he good WAIT much longer & still get the ball there quicker than anyone else. In the NFL that is a helluva great trait to be able to wait that 1/2 second for a guy to get open & bam, zip it right in there. Smith & Irving also commented on how his ball just jumps to the WR which allows for YAC. 

Obviously it will be how fast does Allen process everything. You have to admit, IF, and I understand that is a BIG IF, Josh does get great coaching, fixes his feet & can process, he is one Super imposing athletic QB. It's easy to see why some of these GMs & Coaches are salivating. I could easily see Elway drafting Allen.

Just now, Jetster said:

I have never seen ex-players extol a player like they have with Allen. David Carr kept using the word RIDICULOUS after some of his throws. He seemed really surprised by his laser accuracy on those deep outs. Him & Steve Smith were commenting on how he good WAIT much longer & still get the ball there quicker than anyone else. In the NFL that is a helluva great trait to be able to wait that 1/2 second for a guy to get open & bam, zip it right in there. Smith & Irving also commented on how his ball just jumps to the WR which allows for YAC. 

Obviously it will be how fast does Allen process everything. You have to admit, IF, and I understand that is a BIG IF, Josh does get great coaching, fixes his feet & can process, he is one Super imposing athletic QB. It's easy to see why some of these GMs & Coaches are salivating. I could easily see Elway drafting Josh Rosen. 

I just don’t think there are a lot of examples where those things get fixed. He certainly won’t get that help here.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Carbon copy of Aaron Rodgers’ attitude. You can see why people bristle. 

For sure. He does look the part the most though. His drops etc just look like a pro QB. This class is maddening.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just don’t think there are a lot of examples where those things get fixed. He certainly won’t get that help here.

I tÿped Josh Rosen for Elway & meant to say I could see Elway drafting Allen easily.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Josh McCown just had one of his better seasons in years here, so seeing the OC fired & Bates getting the job tells me Bates (a guy who others have used the word genius) might be the guy. Problem with geniuses is they are unpredictable & the guy could walk away wanting to sail around the world. 

Just now, Jetster said:

Josh McCown just had one of his better seasons in years here, so seeing the OC fired & Bates getting the job tells me Bates (a guy who others have used the word genius) might be the guy. Problem with geniuses is they are unpredictable & the guy could walk away wanting to sail around the world. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick also had a career year his first season here and what happened year two. 

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

For sure. He does look the part the most though. His drops etc just look like a pro QB. This class is maddening.

He was smooth a sh*t. I think he has the most immediate success. His injuries & concussions scare the hell out me. Physically he looks like a scarecrow. 

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No doubt. This is why I’m pro-Mayfield for the Jets. It’s a YOLO pick for an entertaining player who won’t melt down over a mean Manish news cycle.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick also had a career year his first season here and what happened year two. 

Lol. Um, Forte had just a little in the tank, Marshall, Decker & Enunwa broke out. Kearse came in right before the season started & Anderson was still learning, Forte was DONE, Enunwa got hurt, Powell was off the juice. Try again.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

No doubt. This is why I’m pro-Mayfield for the Jets. It’s a YOLO pick for an entertaining player who won’t melt down over a mean Manish news cycle.

so did you ever rank the top 7 QB prospects?  You have Mayfield on top of the heap?

It's really important that you and a few others do.  Otherwise you have carte blanche to ridicule any of them at will when Mac chooses one.  But you know that.  :)

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His cockiness is real, it's not a put on. Perfect for NY. You can tell Baker doesn't just say, "I'm the best QB here", he actually believes it without one bit of doubt, lol.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It’s so hard to project draft picks onto this team because it feels like every coach is five seconds from the door. We’re gonna draft a QB based on Bates’ evaluation when Bates was out of the league and sleeping in a tent a year ago at this time?

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

His cockiness is real, it's not a put on. Perfect for NY. You can tell Baker doesn't just say, "I'm the best QB here", he actually believes it without one bit of doubt, lol.

Exactly. There are people whose self-esteem is externally defined and those whose self-esteem is internally defined. Internal guys are huge assholes, but they’re generally impervious to criticism. External guys have rabbit ears and will get dragged down by their environment. The environment around the Jets is bad and is about to get worse if/when Cousins signs elsewhere. Mayfield is a textbook internal guy.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lol. Um, Forte had just a little in the tank, Marshall, Decker & Enunwa broke out. Kearse came in right before the season started & Anderson was still learning, Forte was DONE, Enunwa got hurt, Powell was off the juice. Try again.

Nope loser re-tread other teams old garbage QB's will not resurrect the NY Jets. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s so hard to project draft picks onto this team because it feels like every coach is five seconds from the door. We’re gonna draft a QB based on Bates’ evaluation when Bates was out of the league and sleeping in a tent a year ago at this time?

I see Bates as a guy that says, "I can take Lauletta & turn him into Kirk Cousins", and we can get him in the 2nd round. I can also see the Jets doing that, like you said but Bates decides he wants to study Budism & moves to Katmandu & we bring back Brian Shottenheimer as our new OC.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He was smooth a sh*t. I think he has the most immediate success. His injuries & concussions scare the hell out me. Physically he looks like a scarecrow. 

Rosen holds the ball too long and gets too choosy. His style + lack of durability is the cause of his injuries. A pro OL might protect better but the timing is faster and the rush is heavier so there's no increased safety for a fragile egg. After Pennington, let some other sucker team repeat our mistake. At least Chad was a nice guy. Rosen is a highfalutin jerk trying to cash in with a one and done hit and run.  

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Carbon copy of Aaron Rodgers’ attitude. You can see why people bristle. 

Good call. I can't think of a more unlikable face than Aaron Rodgers. Watching them try to market him in truck commercials is painful.   Is Rosen that level of unlikeable? I don't know but you might be right. Rodgers is just a natural. I still can't figure out whether I like the Mayfield moxy or this is straight up dbagarry. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly. There are people whose self-esteem is externally defined and those whose self-esteem is internally defined. Internal guys are huge assholes, but they’re generally impervious to criticism. External guys have rabbit ears and will get dragged down by their environment. The environment around the Jets is bad and is about to get worse if/when Cousins signs elsewhere. Mayfield is a textbook internal guy.

I do agree with this. I would have no problem drafting Baker. I'm afraid Elway might feel the same way. This draft will be a hands over eyes deal. It's going to be tough to watch but might turn out incredible for us. I'm praying Baker drops to 6 & we keep out 2 second rounders. Bakers the kind of guy that could give the confidence to go up to Gillette & kick the f*cking door in & bury those bastards to the bottom of the AFC east eventually.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I do agree with this. I would have no problem drafting Baker. I'm afraid Elway might feel the same way. This draft will be a hands over eyes deal. It's going to be tough to watch but might turn out incredible for us. I'm praying Baker drops to 6 & we keep out 2 second rounders. Bakers the kind of guy that could give the confidence to go up to Gillette & kick the f*cking door in & bury those bastards to the bottom of the AFC east eventually.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Exactly why bowles would be terrified of him.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

so did you ever rank the top 7 QB prospects?  You have Mayfield on top of the heap?

It's really important that you and a few others do.  Otherwise you have carte blanche to ridicule any of them at will when Mac chooses one.  But you know that.  :)

I don’t have a top seven, but if I was going to rank them, it’s:

Would draft:

1. Rosen: smartest dude, most natural QB of the field, knows that he’s good. Downside: will get three OC’s fired and will consistently be the “unnamed source” in the locker room calling his head coach a loser.

2. Mayfield: Will drive you nuts with his limitations and will probably be a guy you’re looking to upgrade in three years, but will be a huge celebrity and will give the fans a reason to tune into Jets games even when they’re not good. The Jeremy Lin of Jets football. Will be impervious to Jets Miasma and is mentally tough enough to fend off Todd being awful.

3. Darnold: He seems like a meathead and will probably melt down with the Jets, but has enough talent to possibly attract the Next Head Coach in a way that Mayfield won’t. 

Wouldn’t draft:

4. Josh Allen: The history is against QBs with his statistical profile and Jets Miasma would subvert any attempt to rehabilitate him. I tried watching him against Iowa and Oregon and he wasn’t competitive on single passing down. The big arm is useless if he’s going to go 1-12 on third down against the Bills in November.

5. Lamar Jackson: He needs to go to a place with a creative coach with enough political capital to take some chances with a non-traditional offense. He’d come in here and be asked to run the same offense as Josh McCown, which he’d be awful at, and he’d get Bryce Petty’d off the roster.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

He reminds me of Russell Wilson. Obviously not as fast, but I could see Baker as a duck & run, stop & throw right on the money PITA. He's like a MUCH MORE SOLID Flutie with a better arm & much more cocky. Flutie was confident but admitted he wasn't quite sure when he went to the NFL. I don't see one bit of doubt in Mayfield.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Exactly why bowles would be terrified of him.

Why would Bowles be terrified of him? This narrative that Bowles hates young QBs is stupid because he hasn't had a young QB that's been better than the elder QBs. Until that happens, the narrative is not true

14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Good call. I can't think of a more unlikable face than Aaron Rodgers. Watching them try to market him in truck commercials is painful.   Is Rosen that level of unlikeable? I don't know but you might be right. Rodgers is just a natural. I still can't figure out whether I like the Mayfield moxy or this is straight up dbagarry. 

The funny thing about those Rodgers truck and insurance commercials is that the underlying theme in all of them is that Rodgers is a misanthrope with no desire to speak to other humans.

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It’s all moot because they’re going to sign a vet and draft corner or DL. It is written.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So you dont like Bradley Chubb then.

No, he’s good and will be a fine pro. He plays one of the two most valuable positions in the game and is the only non-QB pick that doesn’t get MetLife burned to the ground on draft night.

Archived