Combine Results Thread

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, jetsons said:

jackson reportedly HAS been asked to tryout as a WR by several teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762306-lamar-jackson-reportedly-asked-to-work-out-as-wr-by-multiple-teams

Lamar Jackson Reportedly Asked to Work Out as WR by Multiple Teams

ALEC NATHANMARCH 2, 2018

LEXINGTON, KY - NOVEMBER 25:  Lamar Jackson #8 of the Louisville Cardinals runs with the ball against the Kentucky Wildcats during the game at Commonwealth Stadium on November 25, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky.  (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
Andy Lyons/Getty Images

Lamar Jackson emerged as one of the most electric quarterbacks in the country at Louisville, but a handful of NFL teams are reportedly interested in what he can offer as a pass-catcher. 

According to Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager, "multiple NFL teams" have requested that Jackson work out as a wide receiver as well as a quarterback. 

However, Jackson said he won't work out as a wide receiver and that no team has asked him to do so, per Jeff Legwold of ESPN.

Wide receivers drills are on Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Quarterbacks are scheduled to hit the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium the same day. 

crop_exact_901064444.jpg?h=344&q=90&w=61
Lamar Jackson Is the NFL Draft's Most Polarizing QB Prospect

The 2016 Heisman Trophy winner previously said he found chatter of a potential positional switch frustrating. 

"It is annoying because quarterback is all I played all my life," he told ESPN.com's Andrea Adelson. "People look at my legs and they see I can make big plays, but they don't really see my arm, and I make big plays with my arm. I scored more touchdowns with my arm than my legs so..."

Jackson, 21, threw for 9,043 yards and 69 touchdowns in three seasons at Louisville. He also rushed for 4,132 yards and 50 scores. He did not catch any passes. 

"Yeah, I'm not much on that," Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said of moving Jackson to receiver, per NFL.com's Dan Parr. "I want to bring him in. Let's exhaust that other thing that we know he's good at and see. I'm just saying in general. This is a general statement: Let's get him in and let him wing it a little bit and see how he does. We'll be able to fit some things in there, I'm sure."

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has Jackson ranked as his No. 5 quarterback behind Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield. 

Well, the dude just said I hasn’t happened, and the Bleacher Report is a fan blog.

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Rosen is a Giant as long as he doesn’t do some wild sh*t in his interview with them. The dude will be a megastar there. I’d put the odds of Maccagnan drafting a QB in the first round at about 12%. It’ll be a DB or something.

I dont think Mac has the balls to miss out on a top free agent qb AND not draft one in the 1st round. He isnt known as a risk taker and that my friend would be the biggest risk of him losing what little job security he has. 

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I dont think Mac has the balls to miss out on a top free agent qb AND not draft one in the 1st round. He isnt known as a risk taker and that my friend would be the biggest risk of him losing what little job security he has. 

Agree they need to bring in a quarterback. Disagree in that Maccagnan will see Sam Bradford and Josh McCown as fulfilling that need.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Agree they need to bring in a quarterback. Disagree in that Maccagnan will see Sam Bradford and Josh McCown as fulfilling that need.

no, I think he is pretty clear that he cant get away with McClown again unless he drafts Allen. You might have a point about Glassford, I dont see the love for that guy but a lot of people still think he is good enough to win with. 

7 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

no, I think he is pretty clear that he cant get away with McClown again unless he drafts Allen. You might have a point about Glassford, I dont see the love for that guy but a lot of people still think he is good enough to win with. 

When you say he “can’t get away” with McCown, you have to remember that Maccagnan doesn’t actually report to anyone. Neither does Bowles. They can get away with anything they want.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When you say he “can’t get away” with McCown, you have to remember that Maccagnan doesn’t actually report to anyone. Neither does Bowles. They can get away with anything they want.

No I mean that I believe the banners will fly again at the stadium and the owners have shown a tendency to cow tow to fan pressure. It might not seem like it but I'd bet Mac is on a bit of a short leash.  

OL:

These guys looked great at the combine:

Gereon Christian
James Daniels - looked really smooth
Will Hernandez
Kolton Miller - really athletic
Brian O'Neill - really athletic
Rod Taylor
Connor Williams
Austin Corbet
Quenton Nelson

These guys looked good:

Tyrell Crosby
Mason Cole
Sam Jones
Braden Smith

RB:

Looked great

Saquon Barkley
Nick Chubb
Derrius Guice
Kerryon Johnson
Sony Michel
Rashaad Penny

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Players have egos especially QBs. I’ve been reading that he’s rated as a slash type player not a starting QB. 

No doubt, but it’d be weird to just outright deny that any team asked about it. Would be easier to admit that it happened and dismiss it.

Does Mayfield saying he has no plans of being a back up kind of hurt his chances of getting drafted by either NY team?  Surely, the NYGs are still Eli’s team and we all know how Bowles feels about QBs under 30,

8 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Does Mayfield saying he has no plans of being a back up kind of hurt his chances of getting drafted by either NY team?  Surely, the NYGs are still Eli’s team and we all know how Bowles feels about QBs under 30,

I don't think so, any QB should say that, it shows confidence. I hope really hope we end up with him.  The NFL is probably hoping (or pulling strings) to get him on the Jets. Could you imagine this franchise getting Broadway Baker after 50 years of no franchise QB. Their ratings would sky rocket after 2 seasons of them taking a dip. I could believe the NFL influences decisions within reason. I think the Rams were nudged into taking Michael Sam with a pick that ultimately would not have meant much because of how it would make the league look. Part of me hopes that is true because I want Baker but as a sports fan I hope I'm totally off base.

52 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Doesn't matter what you want.  He's the best player in the draft.  If the Jets signed Cousins and drafted this guy, they'd instantly be a winning team.

I'll take Mayfield & Penny. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't think so, any QB should say that, it shows confidence. I hope really hope we end up with him.  The NFL is probably hoping (or pulling strings) to get him on the Jets. Could you imagine this franchise getting Broadway Baker after 50 years of no franchise QB. Their ratings would sky rocket after 2 seasons of them taking a dip. I could believe the NFL influences decisions within reason. I think the Rams were nudged into taking Michael Sam with a pick that ultimately would not have meant much because of how it would make the league look. Part of me hopes that is true because I want Baker but as a sports fan I hope I'm totally off base.

Yes QBs should be confident but with Mayfield’s history between his family and basically every div 1 school HC in the state of Texas, it is going to be a problem in NY.  Just too many journalists want to bash the Jets for what ever reason.  Now the minute Bowles goes with McCown to start the season until Mayfield learns the playbook, etc. he or his dad are going to plead their case through Manish.  And the Jets will be the biggest losers in this.

35 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Yes QBs should be confident but with Mayfield’s history between his family and basically every div 1 school HC in the state of Texas, it is going to be a problem in NY.  Just too many journalists want to bash the Jets for what ever reason.  Now the minute Bowles goes with McCown to start the season until Mayfield learns the playbook, etc. he or his dad are going to plead their case through Manish.  And the Jets will be the biggest losers in this.

Maybe, but I don't think he let the media get to him much being in the spot light the last 2 years. He has had his mistakes but I don't believe any of those were triggered by the media. The public intoxication is concerning but could just as easily be written off as a young college kid drinking. IMO the Kansas game and the Ohio State game were both seen as a competitor imposing his will on a team and letting emotion get the best of him. You are right it could be a sign of things to come but I think that firey personality is what could make him great too.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think Rosen is a Giant as long as he doesn’t do some wild sh*t in his interview with them. The dude will be a megastar there. I’d put the odds of Maccagnan drafting a QB in the first round at about 12%. It’ll be a DB or something.

Not so much with the current regime but we all know Woody has meddled with personnel decisions in the past. Yes, I know Chris is supposedly running the show right now but with all of the empty seats that need to be sold at MetLife, do you really think that a conversation hasn't taken place at Florham Park about how many Long Island Jews make up the Jets fan base and how drafting Rosen might get them back in the seats? 

I'm sure the Johnson's have already started guessing what the back page of the Post will read if they trade up and grab Rosen. 

58 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Not so much with the current regime but we all know Woody has meddled with personnel decisions in the past. Yes, I know Chris is supposedly running the show right now but with all of the empty seats that need to be sold at MetLife, do you really think that a conversation hasn't taken place at Florham Park about how many Long Island Jews make up the Jets fan base and how drafting Rosen might get them back in the seats? 

I'm sure the Johnson's have already started guessing what the back page of the Post will read if they trade up and grab Rosen. 

I’m laughing thinking about Woody FaceTiming Chris Johnson, having a serious conversation about how to appease Long Island Jews, with Mike Maccagnan sitting across the conference table looking like this:

2DFBB254-676D-42D0-BF5F-6466258FB5E6.jpeg

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

NFL media heads getting up in their vapors about Casserly saying Lamar Jackson should be a receiver and Lamar just said that not one team has asked him to work out as anything other than QB. Sports journalism is really the lowest rung of the profession, man.

I think NFL people decided to troll the likes of Florio and Peter King to see how many think pieces they’d put out over this.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Deep down, I think this is the QB the Jets want in the draft if they pick one.  Provides the best of both worlds to Macc and Bowles. Young QB but also the most ready to play immediately and help win games in year 1.

I think there’s been a big smokescreen with Rosen. Everyone knows he’s the surest prospect of the bunch and so everyone is up playing everyone else hoping his status as the “person no one is talking about” causes him to fall

Archived