Combine Results Thread

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

was funny a few weeks ago when people mocked Allen for not being able to throw ball through a hole a few feet away yet he was able to connect on perfect throws 75 yards down the field yesterday.....

There are dudes tailgating in the parking lot at every NFL stadium who can throw a football seventy yards. 

10 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Brian Billick would caution anyone who might excuse a college qb's low completion percentage by blaming the surrounding talent on that college football team .

billick_20110317230907514_0_0_bigger.JPGBrian Billick

@CoachBillick

Biggest error we made when evaluating Kyle Boller out of Cal was justifying low comp % by criticizing the talent he had around him.

What was Brett Favre & Joe Montanas college completion percentages?

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It was funny a few weeks ago when people mocked Allen for not being able to throw ball through a hole a few feet away yet he was able to connect on perfect throws 75 yards down the field yesterday.....

Is this a bit?

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Honestly, they all looked really good.. Allen is a freak. Rosen is solid. Mayfield is very accurate and a competitor. Darnold didn't perform but he's a clutch play maker. 

My preference is Darnold.... Allen.... Rosen.... Mayfield but I'd be more than happy with either assuming we don't land cousins.

I think your right & the scouts were right. This will be the best QB class since 2004 & we are going to get 1 of these guys at #6 if we miss on Cousins. I thought these QBs looked very good & even a guy like Lualetta, Falk, White could have a Cousins upside with his accuracy (you could see their lack of arm strength on longer throws). Macc needs to nail this draft! It's truly our opportunity for a bright future. We all so deserve it.

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What was Brett Favre & Joe Montanas college completion percentages?

You are asking about tow guys that went to college in the 70’s and 80’s.  It’s a completely different game both at the collegiate and professional levels.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919159/article/nfl-combine-winnerslosers-josh-allen-trumps-rosen-jackson

Winners

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming: To the surprise of scouts in attendance, Allen was the best passer on the field Saturday. He not only showed exceptional range as a deep-ball thrower, but he was on point with his short and intermediate tosses, particularly out-breaking routes to the boundary. In addition, Allen displayed improved footwork and mechanics on his throws, which led to better accuracy and ball placement. While it is important to keep a T-shirts-and-shorts workout in perspective, this stellar outing from Allen will prompt some scouts to view the Wyoming product as the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the class, based on his physical dimensions and his limitless potential.

Losers

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA: The most polished passer in the 2018 quarterback class was expected to put on a throwing exhibition that would create buzz in Indianapolis about his readiness as a franchise QB. But Rosen failed to play up to expectations, struggling with his accuracy and ball placement in drills. Rosen missed the mark on several intermediate throws, particularly on out-breaking routes (speed out and post-corner). The repeated misfires were surprising, considering how he displays outstanding accuracy, ball placement and anticipation on tape. While evaluators don't really have concerns about his mechanics, footwork or arm talent, Saturday's struggles will give scouts an opportunity to see how he responds to a little adversity when he gets another chance at his pro day.

Get on board the Allen train everyone.

13 hours ago, Bugg said:

What happens when nobody answers to anybody, and nobody is in charge. 

It's still shocking to me to the the Giants picking at #2 & Broncos at #5 in front of us! Much better teams overall, and it's bullsh*t that head to head isn't the first thing for draft position. The Broncos literally kicked the sh*t out of us but are picking ahead of us based on strength of schedule? Absolutely ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919159/article/nfl-combine-winnerslosers-josh-allen-trumps-rosen-jackson

Winners

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming: To the surprise of scouts in attendance, Allen was the best passer on the field Saturday. He not only showed exceptional range as a deep-ball thrower, but he was on point with his short and intermediate tosses, particularly out-breaking routes to the boundary. In addition, Allen displayed improved footwork and mechanics on his throws, which led to better accuracy and ball placement. While it is important to keep a T-shirts-and-shorts workout in perspective, this stellar outing from Allen will prompt some scouts to view the Wyoming product as the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the class, based on his physical dimensions and his limitless potential.

Losers

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA: The most polished passer in the 2018 quarterback class was expected to put on a throwing exhibition that would create buzz in Indianapolis about his readiness as a franchise QB. But Rosen failed to play up to expectations, struggling with his accuracy and ball placement in drills. Rosen missed the mark on several intermediate throws, particularly on out-breaking routes (speed out and post-corner). The repeated misfires were surprising, considering how he displays outstanding accuracy, ball placement and anticipation on tape. While evaluators don't really have concerns about his mechanics, footwork or arm talent, Saturday's struggles will give scouts an opportunity to see how he responds to a little adversity when he gets another chance at his pro day.

Well this was a unique take from yesterday.  Everything else out there stated the opposite.  

This must be generated by either Josh Allen’s agent or a GM hoping that Rosen falls.  

More the NFL trying to convince everyone that there are 4 FQBs in this draft.

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Winners

Losers

I hope this is the overall consensus and Allen goes to Cleveland and Rosen slides to the Jets.  That would be so creamy.

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well this was a unique take from yesterday.  Everything else out there stated the opposite.  

This must be generated by either Josh Allen’s agent or a GM hoping that Rosen falls.  

I havent watched a single minute or read single article about the combine so far...just jumped into this thread this morning.

What has the large majority been saying about this? 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I hope this is the overall consensus and Allen goes to Cleveland and Rosen slides to the Jets.  That would be so creamy.

This is a weird trend that’s been apparent for a year now: ex-players love Allen and rip on Rosen. 

13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Agreed.  No flags went up for not throwing at the combine.

The flags came up throwing during the season.

Only real red flag being he may need a little more time than originally thought to start.  He has the talent, even with the overreaction to turnovers

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is a weird trend that’s been apparent for a year now: ex-players love Allen and rip on Rosen. 

I’m cool with it. If this means a team besides the Jets gets this years Hackenburgh and we might get a rookie QB that can dress on gameday. With his helmet and everything! I can barely contain myself. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

I havent watched a single minute or read single article about the combine so far...just jumped into this thread this morning.

What has the large majority been saying about this? 

I did not see Allen throw yesterday, but I did see Rosen and I thought he looked good threw some really nice deep balls.  Just about every report I have read except the one quoted above said Rosen looked good.  General consensus from what I have read was that Allen had a really good day and was very impressive yesterday as well.

Probably more important than what happened on the field are some of the reports that Rosen aced his interviews.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

TomShame posted an article by Rob Rang on page 7 of this thread that claimed Rosen had the better day.  They did say Allen had a good day, but said Rosen was better.

He also said that Mayfield had some “fluttered” balls on his deep passes.

NFL Network repeatedly talked about how Rosen was the star.  So no where other than this one article has said Rosen was was the “Loser” of the day.

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Come draft time, he will be the #1 pick

I could see the Browns saying f*ck it, his measurables are too good to ignore. After watching Allen toss the rock yesterday I was thinking about how much of the field has to be defended with this guys arm. He was literally tossing the ball with ease 25- 35 more yards than the other QBs with ease. The Browns are loading up with talent, and if Josh Gordon stays out of trouble he's easily the best WR in the NFL after Brown & Jones. 

They take Allen, then draft Barkley at #4 if the Giants & Colts pass. Allens upside is insane compared to Darnold (BORING!), or Rosen (I think best QB but 2 concussions? in an NFL with so many CTE concerns, I could see him retiring early with 50 million in the bank). I see Allen having the potential of Big Ben, with better running skills. Allen ran the same 40 as Wentz at 6-5" & 237 LBs. The guy is a freak! Did you see some of the holy sh*t looks & high fiving, back slapping going on after some of his throws yesterday? Very tough to pass on that potential, Jamarcus Russell turned out to be just an azzhole who didn't love football, Allen is a good kid, great family, incredible work ethic (farm boy), who loves football. If I'm the Browns with that many draft picks, I'm drafted the guy with the highest ceiling, and I'm hedging my bet later like the Skins did with Cousins & drafting a White, Falk, or Lualetta later. 

Kiser, Allen, Lualetta. Great RB to take the pressure off. Be pretty damn bold! 

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Good write-up by Rang, though his opinion on Jackson’s workout seems to differ from a lot of others. It appears that Rosen has allayed a lot of concerns about his douchiness, and Josh Allen is going to successfully trick someone into drafting him top five. 

I have convinced myself(probably incorrectly) that the most likely to take him in Denver.  I imagine Elway looks at him, a big, mobile, cannon armed QB and sees himself more than any other QB in the draft.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’m cool with it. If this means a team besides the Jets gets this years Hackenburgh and we might get a rookie QB that can dress on gameday. With his helmet and everything! I can barely contain myself. 

I want a three way “camp battle” between Sam Bradford, Josh McCown, and Baker Mayfield which blows up so hard in Todd’s face that he spends his off-hours sitting in a dark room charting a path toward becoming the unpaid DB coach at Temple.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have convinced myself(probably incorrectly) that the most likely to take him in Denver.  I imagine Elway looks at him, a big, mobile, cannon armed QB and sees himself more than any other QB in the draft.

Absolutely. Elway has shown a real blind spot for physical attributes superseding th mental acumen of the position. It appears that he thinks QBs can simply learn the game as they go so long as they’re tall and can throw hard.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I want a three way “camp battle” between Sam Bradford, Josh McCown, and Baker Mayfield which blows up so hard in Todd’s face that he spends his off-hours sitting in a dark room charting a path toward becoming the unpaid DB coach at Temple.

I’m pretty sure Todd  started doing that second Josh went down this year and he had ti play Petty., “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like him.” “ Ok fine, we just give up.” 

I watched Allen, Rosen, Jackson, and Mayfield throw yesterday.

Rosen did a real good job throwing. He had 1 dud at the beginning, but the rest of the way he showed off. He displayed his great footwork, motion, and arm, launching some impressive deep balls.

Jackson played meh. He showed some great altheticism, but was really inconsistent, and that's something we saw in his time at Louisville.

Mayfield did good. He showed off his accuracy that he's been flaunting about, and showed that he has a stellar arm. Something some scouts were indeed doubting.

Allen played like a god. Comparing him from the Regular Season, to Potato Bowl, to Senior Bowl, and to the Combine, he looks incredibly different. The guy we've been knocking for accuracy was far and away the best passer at the combine. He was throwing some amazing balls, and showing off his mega-arm. He seems to have corrected things like his footwork since the season ended.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

The Rosen part is 100% accurate. I was surprised to come here and see all the hype for Rosen in this thread. When we were watching at the bar he struggled mightily on a lot of throws. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

That would be fantastic. Rosen is the best of this class, imo. Never thought we had a shot at him, but if he slides to 3, we may be able to move up.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He’ll be amazing on third and 75 in a big spot.

Good one, lol. Funny thing is, watching Allen toss the ball yesterday reminded me of Kenny Obrien, slow back pedal, beautiful deep ball. Except Allen can throw it 70 yards, a good 20 yards more than Kenny. Am I missing something? All I've heard about Allen was he had no accuracy & I know he was throwing against air, but he was like a laser on those outs, whether short or long. It seems to be all about his feet, which a good coach should be able to fix. I mean, even his peers were like WTF with some of his throws, it wasn't just his 70 yard throws & I as much as I don't want to say this, watched the entire QB drills. I could see this kid turning into a much bigger Terry Bradshaw except Terry was 6-3" 218 & Allen is 6-5" 237 & even runs much faster.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Good one, lol. Funny thing is, watching Allen toss the ball yesterday reminded me of Kenny Obrien, slow back pedal, beautiful deep ball. Except Allen can throw it 70 yards, a good 20 yards more than Kenny. Am I missing something? All I've heard about Allen was he had no accuracy & I know he was throwing against air, but he was like a laser on those outs, whether short or long. It seems to be all about his feet, which a good coach should be able to fix. I mean, even his peers were like WTF with some of his throws, it wasn't just his 70 yard throws & I as much as I don't want to say this, watched the entire QB drills. I could see this kid turning into a much bigger Terry Bradshaw except Terry was 6-3" 218 & Allen is 6-5" 237 & even runs much faster.

FWIW, Hack could not throw the outs that Allen could, so he is better than that.  

There is no way a team as bad as the Colts but does not need a QB does not trade down, unless they take Barkley and think they could really turn it around in 2018.  The smart move for the GM is to load up on picks and take a RB in round 2.  The Jets and Broncos can do that. Chubb is not good enough to take at 3 if you don’t have to-they could likely get him at 5 or 6.,

Mac has a real pickle if he trades up to 3, because then he may need to make a choice of someone over Mayfield who could backfire.  Mayfield is actuallly the safest QB in this class, believe it or not.  The others need development and pose other risks.

It would be hard to trade up for Rosen, particularly for Bates’ offense.  If any of the QBs are there at 6, you take them.  

Sixty percent. Every year, this number is tossed around when quarterbacks are being discussed ahead of the NFL Draft. The art of identifying a franchise quarterback is so mystical that it almost seems foolhardy to suggest that a simple yes/no question can determine who will or won’t be a successful franchise starter. That being said, few in the NFL had a better career than Bill Parcells, and this was one of his golden rules for selecting a franchise quarterback: He has to complete more than 60 percent of his passes in college. This is relevant in 2018 because of one draft darling: Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen. Standing six-foot-five, 240 pounds and wielding a howitzer on his right arm, Allen has draft reporters (and anonymous scouts) wide-eyed with his athletic potential. There’s a problem though: Allen has never completed 60 percent of his passes in college and, in fact, his career completion percentage is only 56.1. At this point in his college career, Allen has played with inconsistent mechanics, leading to bad throw trajectories from time to time.

The rule holds up. The greatest quarterbacks since 2000 who never threw for 60 percent in any of their college seasons: Josh McCown, Tyrod Taylor, Shaun Hill, Derek Anderson, Brian Hoyer, and Kyle Boller. This rule doesn’t suggest to you that anyone who completes 61 percent of his passes in a season will be a star, but it does help you eliminate a wide swath of rough so you can keep sifting for diamonds.

From 2000 to 2017, the best quarterbacks to complete their college career with a completion percentage of less than 58 were Ken Dorsey, J.P. Losman, Jay Cutler, Kyle Boller, Matthew Stafford, Patrick Ramsey, and Tyrod Taylor. Most of these quarterbacks improved their completion percentage year-over-year and finished with a season near or above the magical 60 percent threshold.

Allen only started two seasons before entering the NFL Draft, and he saw his percentage tick from 56.0 to 56.3 in that time. For comparison’s sake, Lamar Jackson, another controversial prospect in this draft, also has a career completion percentage below 58 percent. But in three seasons, he’s improved from 54.7 to 56.2 to 60.4.

Some may suggest that Allen’s numbers are depressed in 2017 because of a weakened supporting cast (most of his top targets graduated after 2016). It’s true that he’s playing with several freshmen, but in terms of drop rate, Allen’s receivers only dropped 4.8 percent of his passes this season.

Among the top quarterback prospects, only Sam Darnold had a better drop rate from his receivers, while Baker Mayfield and Jackson had more than eight percent of their passes dropped.

Another explanation for Allen’s poor numbers is the pro-style offense he plays in, which gives him fewer easy throws. That was the argument used to prop up Connor Cook two years ago, but Cook was a mid-round pick and remains relegated to the third string behind E.J. Manuel. Allen also doesn’t help himself, choosing to force difficult throws when he would be more successful checking down or scrambling for a few yards.

The NFL Draft process, with its exhibition games, player interviews, metric workouts, and team visits, still has to play out. But when April comes around, teams with a Parcells influence will have Allen removed from their draft boards due to his passing metrics. Even so, it only takes one team to fall in love with his physical abilities and make him their franchise cornerstone. Despite his raw ability, history indicates they’re making a mistake.

Archived