Trading Up Will Happen

Grandy

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, varjet said:

Elway is in a much better situation than the Jets. 

He has a QB that went to the NFCCG, and another that has played.  He picks ahead of the Jets.  Mayfield or Allen likely fall to him.  

Denver is mostly a lock to have one of the 4 fall to them - with Barkley out there Indy and Cleveland will not pass on him....Cleveland at 4 will jump at the chance to have already taken their QB and then get the RB too.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Anyone who thinks this doesn't understanding QB evaluation. (not picking on you, just an easy post to quote)

There's so much that goes into the decision the "Rosen is our guy" Or Mayfield, Allen etc... there's scheme fit decisions, personnel, locker room impact, fit for the staff... etc etc. It's very black and white. THAT is our guy. or not. 

And you don't make that decision, then sit on your a$$ and cross your fingers. You go get him. 

CC. Mike MacCagnan

Not to pick on you .. but if that were the case QBs would go 1-4 every year.

29 minutes ago, varjet said:

Elway is in a much better situation than the Jets. 

He has a QB that went to the NFCCG, and another that has played.  He picks ahead of the Jets.  Mayfield or Allen likely fall to him.  

He’s supposed to be in deep, dark love with Mayfield right now, too

40 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think Mac offers a blank check of picks to the Giants for Josh Rosen. If he’s gonna trade up, do it right and go for it all. 

Woody Johnson has a boss now.  He does not co-sign a check to trade up for a kid who wore a hat that said **** his boss.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Rosen is on the Jet's board.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Why would the Bills trade with us if they could give picks to the teams behind us? If we are trading out we would clearly not be taking their QB.

Well if the Jets aren’t talking to more then one team that would want to trade up for one of those QB’s, and make it very clear to the Bills, and those other teams that they are trading out to someone who wants one of those QB’s then just fire everyone now.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

The top QBs generally do go at the top. Manning & Leaf  Luck & RG3 Winston & Mariota Goff & Wentz. The likely hood of all 4 going 1-4 is slim because certain teams will have QBs they won't take. However sitting at 6 when you have a QB you love at 3 is a gamble not worth taking.

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Agreed! I personally slightly prefer Darnold but I’d be ecstatic with Rosen. I think the Jets very much want the kid, let’s hope Maccagnan makes it happen 

Darnold not throwing at the combine, while the other big names all did, scares me.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Well if the Jets aren’t talking to more then one team that would want to trade up for one of those QB’s, and make it very clear to the Bills, and those other teams that they are trading out to someone who wants one of those QB’s then just fire everyone now.

The same goes for any other team. If the Jets are not selecting a QB with that pick there is no real benefit to trade with us unless we undersell ourselves.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The top QBs generally do go at the top. Manning & Leaf  Luck & RG3 Winston & Mariota Goff & Wentz. The likely hood of all 4 going 1-4 is slim because certain teams will have QBs they won't take. However sitting at 6 when you have a QB you love at 3 is a gamble not worth taking.

fair enough ... i guess the question is ... do the Jets really covet any of them as much as the eagles coveted Wentz.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

The same goes for any other team. If the Jets are not selecting a QB with that pick there is no real benefit to trade with us unless we undersell ourselves.

That’s not how it works, everyone, and their mother knew the Titans were not selecting a QB 2 years ago yet multiple teams wanted that pick why not just go to the Browns instead at 2 first?  Duh because someone else will trade up, cmon man think.

55 minutes ago, Grandy said:

With us in the middle of an almost 8 year playoff drought, Macc needs a franchise QB or else he'll be terminated from the team. We decided not to take a shot at one of the guys last year because of this class.

We've been at every game of the top QB prospects, seen every throw in person. Even from QB's that are extremely unlikely to fall to us at #6.

Macc & Bates are flying cross country to go see the top prospects, even ones that are not going to fall to 6.

So then why else would we be wasting immense time on these guys if getting them isn't possible? That's because getting them will be possible. We wouldn't waste all this time on these guys if we knew we wouldn't get one of them, if not all of them. We are going to trade up for our guy; which QB it ends up being is undecided (Looking Mayfield or Rosen), but we will end up with the signal caller we've waited decades for.

I hope your right but I will believe it when I see it. 

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

they do. the only ones that don't typically involve some team coming down from the 20s just to get them at a more acceptable cost. The ones that people "sit tight on" end up being Christian Ponder. Jake Locker. etc etc

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Woody Johnson has a boss now.  He does not co-sign a check to trade up for a kid who wore a hat that said **** his boss.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Rosen is on the Jet's board.

He's on their board. Otherwise why fly out Mcc and Bates to his pro day after they met w/him two weeks ago at the combine. And please don't say smokescreen.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That’s not how it works, everyone, and their mother knew the Titans were not selecting a QB 2 years ago yet multiple teams wanted that pick why not just go to the Browns instead at 2 first?  Duh because someone else will trade up, cmon man think.

Because there were 2 top QBs and the Titans had Mariota, they wanted to move back. If the Broncos and Jets pass on franchise QBs I don't know if we find a trade partner without selling ourselves short.

I'd rather reach at 6 for a QB than trade back for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and not land a top QB. I guess it's just a difference of opinion on the rankings of these QBs.

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

We're staying at 6 and drafting Quenton Nelson, so everybody just chill out, ok?

I was 100% behind Nelson if we got Cousins but we need to take one of the 4 QBs/Chubb/Barkley with 6. Taking a Guard over those players is grounds for dismissal IMO.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

He's on their board. Otherwise why fly out Mcc and Bates to his pro day after they met w/him two weeks ago at the combine. And please don't say smokescreen.

Like I said, I hope he is.  But, Woody Johnson owns the team, and the guy literally wore a **** TRUMP hat to a charity event.

It may not be a smokescreen, but it may also be to avoid answering the question of why he's not on your draft board.  You simply put the work in, and don't trade up to get him.  It's really not that complex.  Again, I have no idea, but if I had to guess, the ambassador does not hire the guy who's publicly said **** his boss.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Like I said, I hope he is.  But, Woody Johnson owns the team, and the guy literally wore a **** TRUMP hat to a charity event.

It may not be a smokescreen, but it may also be to avoid answering the question of why he's not on your draft board.  You simply put the work in, and don't trade up to get him.  It's really not that complex.  Again, I have no idea, but if I had to guess, the ambassador does not hire the guy who's publicly said **** his boss.

your opinion....JMO you are reading way too much into it from a political perspective. 

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I can promise you that not only is he on our board, he's a top 3 player on our board.

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

your opinion....JMO you are reading way too much into it from a political perspective. 

I don't think I ever stated this as anything beyond my speculation.

But, I do think it's more than just "political."  One thing to dislike Trump.  Another thing to wear a **** TRUMP hat in public.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Because there were 2 top QBs and the Titans had Mariota, they wanted to move back. If the Broncos and Jets pass on franchise QBs I don't know if we find a trade partner without selling ourselves short.

I'd rather reach at 6 for a QB than trade back for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and not land a top QB. I guess it's just a difference of opinion on the rankings of these QBs.

The sweet spot for the Jets should be the 3rd pick . The way I figure it, the Browns will either take Darnold or Barkley. If they take Darnold, the Giants will take Barkley meaning whoever gets that 3rd pick gets a shot at whatever QB they want not named Darnold . If the Browns take Barkley, then either Darnold and Rosen will be there at 3 .

I say try to move up to the 3rd pick or stay put at 6 . Of all the QBs being bandied around to the Jets, I think Rosen and Lamar Jackson would be the 2 best fits in NY . 

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I can promise you that not only is he on our board, he's a top 3 player on our board.

I hope so.  And I hope we do whatever the **** TRUMP it takes to get him.

I just recall Woody stating publicly he'd rather a Romney 2012 victory than a Jets Super Bowl victory.

I don't think I ever stated this as anything beyond my speculation.

But, I do think it's more than just "political."  One thing to dislike Trump.  Another thing to wear a **** TRUMP hat in public.

I totally remember not doing stupid juvenile sh*t when I was 20 years old, I was perfect.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I totally remember not doing stupid juvenile sh*t when I was 20 years old, I was perfect.

Plenty of people get fired for the nonsense they post on FB.  I'm not sure I get your point.

I'm also not criticizing Rosen for doing so, or even calling it juvenile.  I'm simply saying that publicly wearing a piece of apparel stating **** your prospective bosses boss may make it less likely you'll be hired.

We're going into year 3 of "waiting for next year" to address the QB situation via the draft.  For Mac, there is no more "next year."  He's boxed himself and the franchise into a corner and now has no choice to overpay if necessary to ensure we draft one of the top 4 QB's.  What he SHOULD do is go all in to try to trade up for Darnold or Rosen, but I would be extremely happy if we got Mayfield or Allen, even it it means trading up for either.  This team cannot under any circumstances walk away from this draft without one of the top 4 QB's. 

Plenty of people get fired for the nonsense they post on FB.  I'm not sure I get your point.

So everyone who did something stupid that is public knowledge should be forever punished, by stupid I mean juvenile innocent immature nonsense like wearing a silly hat, not bitch slapping a woman.

25 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I was 100% behind Nelson if we got Cousins but we need to take one of the 4 QBs/Chubb/Barkley with 6. Taking a Guard over those players is grounds for dismissal IMO.

Taking the best player in the draft and a  perennial  Pro Bowler is grounds for dismissal?

Archived