Trading Up Will Happen

Grandy

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This is where this gets fun, but the last thing the Giants will want to do is trade Rosen to the Jets, even if they don't want him.

This is like war-to the Jets and Bills bid for the pick hoping not to win and drive the price up for the other bidder?  

I think the only way to make an offer for the pick is to figure out a price that is aggressive but fair, and not go off of that too much.  

The Giants should want Nelson in this draft if they don't want Rosen, so the Jets at 6 give them that chance.  They should listen, unless they just don't want to do a deal with the Jets at all.  If the latter is the case, the Jets need to make sure that the Bills pay through the nose.

Is Mac up for this complexity?

Given recent reports about an ownership mandate to tank with the purpose of getting a qb,  idk that this will even be Mac’s call.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

So everyone who did something stupid that is public knowledge should be forever punished, by stupid I mean juvenile innocent immature nonsense like wearing a silly hat, not bitch slapping a woman.

Yeah, so, I didn't suggest anything resembling the reductio ad absurdum point you're trying to make and I also said that I hope the Jets do draft him, so I'm not sure where "should" comes from.

This is a pretty big misfire on your part.

6 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Taking the best player in the draft and a  perennial  Pro Bowler is grounds for dismissal?

When you have been without a franchise QB for 50 years, haven't had a pass rusher in 12 years, and haven't had a homerun threat on offense then yes. I love Nelson but he should not be in our top 6 IMO. 

Per Matt Miller, Jets are “all in” on this QB Draft Class, and trading up.

Missing out on Kirk Cousins means one thing for the New York Jets: They are all in on this quarterback class. General manager Mike Maccagnan gets a chance to draft another quarterback after missing badly on Christian Hackenberg. And with the No. 6 overall pick, I'm told by league sources the Jets are now a candidate to trade up.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764379-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-early-free-agency-is-a-win-for-draft-prospects?share=twitter

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Is there really a specific qb the jets want out of those 4? I don’t hear any team being in love with 1. They may prefer 1 but would be ok with another as well. I’d be shocked if they all were gone by 6. Barkley and or Chubb are likely gone by #4. I would can mac if we paid the ransom to trade up for the player we find out later would have still been available at 6. 

If we paid the ransom and drafted said player, how would we find out later if he would have still been available at 6?

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Winning a Super Bowl will happen 

Oh sorry thought we were just posting random fairytale wishes.

In 1983 , in college , I joked that all I wanted was a JET superbowl in my lifetime (other than 1969).  It was funny then.  Its not funny anymore.

Chris Wesseling‏ @ChrisWesseling

Giants GM Dave Gettleman to @KimJonesSports on the draft's #2 slot and whether there’s a win-now philosophy with Eli: "You have to say to yourself: 'Can you picture this guy putting on a gold jacket?’ You can't make a mistake. You just can't."

hmmm...Barkley, Nelson ?

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Like I said, I hope he is.  But, Woody Johnson owns the team, and the guy literally wore a **** TRUMP hat to a charity event.

It may not be a smokescreen, but it may also be to avoid answering the question of why he's not on your draft board.  You simply put the work in, and don't trade up to get him.  It's really not that complex.  Again, I have no idea, but if I had to guess, the ambassador does not hire the guy who's publicly said **** his boss.

If he does that when he is actually a Jet it would mean something, perhaps. Otherwise it's meaningless.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The top QBs generally do go at the top. Manning & Leaf  Luck & RG3 Winston & Mariota Goff & Wentz. The likely hood of all 4 going 1-4 is slim because certain teams will have QBs they won't take. However sitting at 6 when you have a QB you love at 3 is a gamble not worth taking.

Every draft is different.  This one is an odd one.  Man to man-Trubisky or Mayfield?

12 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

If we paid the ransom and drafted said player, how would we find out later if he would have still been available at 6?

You don't.  You never know.  

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Giants GM Dave Gettleman to @KimJonesSports on the draft's #2 slot and whether there’s a win-now philosophy with Eli: "You have to say to yourself: 'Can you picture this guy putting on a gold jacket?’ You can't make a mistake. You just can't."

hmmm...Barkley, Nelson ?

We can look at the top 3 picks over the last ten years.  I don't know how many of them are HoF candidates, and to the extent they are not HoF candidates, their teams are still happy with them.  I think he is blowing smoke.  

Nelson is probably the player of all of them who is most likely to make the HoF.   I have not seen any criticism of his game, at all.  Even Barkley has some doubters.   You don't make the HoF at the Combine.  

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

hmmm...Barkley, Nelson ?

Just goes into my mind games theory that they want Browns to take Barkley. Giants are taking a QB. 

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

hmmm...Barkley, Nelson ?

Those are probably the only two I could envision as solid HoF candidates (given that not a single one of these players has even played a NFL snap yet).  These QBs are good but they're not great.  One of them likely will be great but none of us know who that will be.  Nelson and Barkley, on the other hand, are clearly head-and-shoulders above all other prospects at their respective positions.  Probably the two safest picks in the Draft.  If Gettleman is true to his word then he's taking one of those two guys and likely not going to speculate on a QB prospect who has maybe a 40-50% chance of being a franchise QB.  JMHO.

29 minutes ago, Jethead said:

If you traded up to 3 and Darnold/Rosen went 1/2, would you take Saquan or Baker? Tough choice.

Baker and its not even close. I would never draft a running back top 10 and Barkley is the most overrated prospect in the last 20 years.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Just goes into my mind games theory that they want Browns to take Barkley. Giants are taking a QB. 

JMO..If they go QB in the 1st it would be Allen. Eli's contract is tough to swallow the next two yrs...I can't see them burying Rosen the next two yrs. Allen? That's another story. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning-4348/

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Also Mayfield will be available at 6 book it, hopefully he is still available at 7.

He has a better chance going #1 than he does getting to #6 with no other team trying to trade up ahead of the jets to draft him. 

Denver has shown plenty of interest. With so many teams positioning themselves to trade up, i doubt they're all just eyeing one guy. That #4 pick Cleveland has is probably going to be the most coveted pick and i wouldnt be surprised to see a team jump there just to get ahead of the Broncos and Jets, and atleast 1 qb is going in the top 3 picks. That means by the time the Broncos are on the board atleast 2 qb's will be off fhe board and i doubt they're okay with going Case Keenum without a qb for the future there. By the time we get to pick 6 the two qbs will probably be Allen and Jackson...both qb's with incredible potential but both below 60% completion rate in college. 

In my eyes there is simply no way that a qb who over the past 2 seasons completed over 70% of his passes at a clip of over 11 yards per attempt and 40+ TDs is making it to 6 without Cleveland taking him 1st overall or a team looking to jump ahead.

11+ yards per attempt with a 70% comp rate is 1st overall worthy in any draft. I would love for you to be correct.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

He has a better chance going #1 than he does getting to #6 with no other team trying to trade up ahead of the jets to draft him. 

Denver has shown plenty of interest. With so many teams positioning themselves to trade up, i doubt they're all just eyeing one guy. That #4 pick Cleveland has is probably going to be the most coveted pick and i wouldnt be surprised to see a team jump there just to get ahead of the Broncos and Jets, and atleast 1 qb is going in the top 3 picks. That means by the time the Broncos are on the board atleast 2 qb's will be off fhe board and i doubt they're okay with going Case Keenum without a qb for the future there. By the time we get to pick 6 the two qbs will probably be Allen and Jackson...both qb's with incredible potential but both below 60% completion rate in college. 

In my eyes there is simply no way that a qb who over the past 2 seasons completed over 70% of his passes at a clip of over 11 yards per attempt and 40+ TDs is making it to 6 without Cleveland taking him 1st overall or a team looking to jump ahead.

11+ yards per attempt with a 70% comp rate is 1st overall worthy in any draft. I would love for you to be correct.

I see Rosen Darnold and Allen gone and Mayfield available at 6 book it.

44 minutes ago, varjet said:

Every draft is different.  This one is an odd one.  Man to man-Trubisky or Mayfield?

I'd take Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield over Trubisky. Then I'd probably go Watson, Allen, then Mahomes. Just from a coming out of college, that's not to say I believe they will be better than Watson. I'm probably bias because I didn't think it was smart to invest #6 in a QB we didn't fully believe in last year when we had just spent a pick on Hack the year before. 

But I definitely like Mayfield more than Trubisky.

I think back to the draft last year year and all the teams that scrambled to trade up to snag the QB they coveted.

IMHO, the Jets should absolutely be looking to trade up to #3 overall.

We simply can not afford to sit on our hands at #6 and risk missing out on one of the top 3 QB's - myself, I'd prefer Darnold or Mayfield (Not confident in Rosen's career completion percentage at less than 60%) and both could easily be gone by the 6th pick.

I just don't think it's worth the risk to stay put at #6 - the Jets & Mike Macagnon should be doing everything in their power to trade up to #3 overall.

The only way I'd take Rosen is if Darnold & Mayfield went 1 & 2 and Rosen was the only one left at #3.

But, I'd feel good with any one of the three.

I don't consider Josh Allen an option at # 3 overall - a 56% career completion percentage won't get it done at the NFL level.

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

(Not confident in Rosen's career completion percentage at less than 60%)

Rosen's CMP % was only 1% lower than Darnold's, and he played with a worse team and more dropped passes.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, Grandy said:

Rosen's CMP % was only 1% lower than Darnold's, and he played with a worse team and more dropped passes.

Where are pulling that out of? Because you are dead wrong.

Sam Darnold has a 64.9 career completion percentage:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sam-darnold-1.html

Josh Rosen has a 60.8 career completion percentage:

https://www.the40yarddash.com/josh-rosen

So my statement was slightly off - I said Rosen's career completion percentage was less than 60% - apparently he did manage to crack 60% - BARELY.

Here's a couple of more reasons to take Darnold over Rosen:

My concern about Rosen is that he suffered two concussions this past season and in November of 2016 had surgery on his right shoulder. The hits in the NFL will be delivered by bigger and stronger defensive players. Players who suffer concussions are more susceptible to the next one. The shoulder surgery was to repair a soft-tissue injury. It was not reconstructive. Rosen compared it to pulling a hamstring in the shoulder. He feared it could have been worse before what was termed exploratory surgery.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/sunday-morning-qb-josh-rosen-sam-darnold-debating-pick-article-1.3741327

EDIT 3/18/2018: I misspoke; I was thinking of Josh Allen (Career completion percentage 56%) as the QB with the completion percentage under 60% not Josh Rosen. I'm still a little concerned about Rosen's 2 concussions last season - but I'll go on record as stating the following:

I'd prefer Darnold or Rosen at # 3 overall - but if they're both gone at pick # 3, I'd take Baker Mayfield over Josh Allen - a 56% career completion percentage just won't get it done in the NFL.

I can deal with Mayfield being only 6'01 and a little immature, the kid has talent.

If you traded up to 3 and Darnold/Rosen went 1/2, would you take Saquan or Baker? Tough choice.

That’s why trading to 3 is not the right move AT THIS POINT. You trade to 3 on draft day IF the player you want is still there when the 3rd pick comes up.

The place to be is at 2 as CLE ain’t trading 1 and you take either Rosen or Darnold.

The Giants would seriously consider #6, the two 2’s and say a 2 or 3rd pick in 2019. They’d be idiots not to and they still get Nelson in all likelihood if what Gettleman is saying is true about big Molly’s or whatever. I don’t see the Giants trading back to 12 with the Bills if we’re in the bidding game

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

That’s why trading to 3 is not the right move AT THIS POINT. You trade to 3 on draft day IF the player you want is still there when the 3rd pick comes up.

That goes without saying.....but the Jets need to be prepared to pull the trigger - which means discussing and planning it now.

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

Lol. Well I know Mac and the jets would do everything in their power to suppress the rumors that leak out after. You don’t remember hearing the post draft story in 2016 mac was pretty open about ? Texans were sitting right behind the jets in 2nd round, at last min they traded up right in front of the jets. Mac said he was sweating Bullets because he believed Texans heard he was taking hackenberg, and that is why they traded right in front of them. Texans actually picked a quality center. They thought Mac was going to pick Martin, since we badly needed a center.. It’s not a rare thing for the leaks to flow after the draft. Who had bluffed Who, ect. I know you and Mac hate that it comes out after lol.

posted in another thread

No matter what the Giants, Gettleman are saying, I can't imagine a scenario where they pass on Darnold or Rosen. Even if Eli plays another year, if Davis Webb looks like a QB, you don't pass on a franchise QB. And from all the opinions on here, those 2 are franchise QBs. 

On top of that, how can the Giants trade that pick to the Jets. What if that pick traded to the Jets, turns out to be a franchise QB. There is just no way the Giants can be the team responsible for giving the Jets a franchise QB.

It really is just fan wishful thinking. Trying to come up with scenarios where the Giants, who don't plan on picking two again, will pass on a franchise QB because Eli maybe plays another year or two, or Webb is a legitimate reason to pass on a franchise QB. And it's psychedelic drugs that makes you believe the Giants would trade with the Jets to get a franchise QB.

I agree that the #2 pick ain’t happening. If you want control you need to go all the way up to # 1...at the cost of this draft and next years too.

I think it’s going to come down to Barkley or Mayfield.

if they think Rosen is the guy then spend whatever it takes and go get him. I personally don’t like Darnold as much and would be fine with Baker. I think he will be a winner and has the moxie to succeed in NY.

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

posted in another thread

No matter what the Giants, Gettleman are saying, I can't imagine a scenario where they pass on Darnold or Rosen. Even if Eli plays another year, if Davis Webb looks like a QB, you don't pass on a franchise QB. And from all the opinions on here, those 2 are franchise QBs. 

On top of that, how can the Giants trade that pick to the Jets. What if that pick traded to the Jets, turns out to be a franchise QB. There is just no way the Giants can be the team responsible for giving the Jets a franchise QB.

It really is just fan wishful thinking. Trying to come up with scenarios where the Giants, who don't plan on picking two again, will pass on a franchise QB because Eli maybe plays another year or two, or Webb is a legitimate reason to pass on a franchise QB. And it's psychedelic drugs that makes you believe the Giants would trade with the Jets to get a franchise QB.

This gm does not have some sentimental connection to Eli. But maybe they do realize if they grab Barkley, they can win now. Or trade down and collect a nice package of draft picks that can immediately fill rest of their holes..

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This gm does not have some sentimental connection to Eli. But maybe they do realize if they grab Barkley, they can win now. Or trade down and collect a nice package of draft picks that can immediately fill rest of their holes..

There is only one way that happens. Whoever is left on the board, the Giants, without a doubt, believe that QB is not a franchise QB. That's it. There would be no other reason.

Eli maybe playing a year or two is not a reason you pass on Franchise QB with the #2 pick.

Barkley can be the greatest RB of all time, but a franchise QB is more valuable.

Picking multiple players is not as valuable as having a franchise QB.

Yo guys, I just looked on Instagram, and most of the top Jets accounts had reports of Macc calling up teams, and angling a trade up for Rosen. Idk if it's 100% reputable, but my Jets pages never lie, and would be amazing if true.

Archived