Trading Up Will Happen

Grandy

With us in the middle of an almost 8 year playoff drought, Macc needs a franchise QB or else he'll be terminated from the team. We decided not to take a shot at one of the guys last year because of this class.

We've been at every game of the top QB prospects, seen every throw in person. Even from QB's that are extremely unlikely to fall to us at #6.

Macc & Bates are flying cross country to go see the top prospects, even ones that are not going to fall to 6.

So then why else would we be wasting immense time on these guys if getting them isn't possible? That's because getting them will be possible. We wouldn't waste all this time on these guys if we knew we wouldn't get one of them, if not all of them. We are going to trade up for our guy; which QB it ends up being is undecided (Looking Mayfield or Rosen), but we will end up with the signal caller we've waited decades for.

Edit: We did it boi's!!! I'm a f**king prophet.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Grandy said:

With us in the middle of an almost 8 year playoff drought, Macc needs a franchise QB or else he'll be terminated from the team. We decided not to take a shot at one of the guys last year because of this class.

We've been at every game of the top QB prospects, seen every throw in person. Even from QB's that are extremely unlikely to fall to us at #6.

Macc & Bates are flying cross country to go see the top prospects, even ones that are not going to fall to 6.

So then why else would we be wasting immense time on these guys if getting them isn't possible? That's because getting them will be possible. We wouldn't waste all this time on these guys if we knew we wouldn't get one of them, if not all of them. We are going to trade up for our guy; which QB it ends up being is undecided (Looking Mayfield or Rosen), but we will end up with the signal caller we've waited decades for.

Is there really a specific qb the jets want out of those 4? I don’t hear any team being in love with 1. They may prefer 1 but would be ok with another as well. I’d be shocked if they all were gone by 6. Barkley and or Chubb are likely gone by #4. I would can mac if we paid the ransom to trade up for the player we find out later would have still been available at 6. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Is there really a specific qb the jets want out of those 4? I don’t hear any team being in love with 1. They may prefer 1 but would be ok with another as well. I’d be shocked if they all were gone by 6. Barkley and or Chubb are likely gone by #4. I would can mac if we paid the ransom to trade up for the player we find out later would have still been available at 6. 

Based on pro day workouts, Senior Bowl, Mogglez inside guy and others, Rosen and Mayfield are our two favorite options..which happen to be my own two favorite options so I’m happy at the moment. I just need us to actually pull it off.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Based on pro day workouts, Senior Bowl, Mogglez inside guy and others, Rosen and Mayfield are our two favorite options..which happen to be my own twice favorite options so I’m happy at the moment. I just need us to actually pull it off.

it just can't be allen, the guy needs a redshirt year.  the more i think about the broncos, i think they go BAP not qb.  i think the elway/mayfield interest is a great smokescreen to get a team like the jets to trade ahead of them and push a guy like chubb back to them.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

First of all, how would you know they would still be available, once the Jets trade up?

Second, if the Jets want their guy, the last thing they should do is try to get cute and end up not getting the trade-up. It always cost more than it's worth on paper to trade up at the high-end of the draft, but in this case it is worth the cost.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think Mac offers a blank check of picks to the Giants for Josh Rosen. If he’s gonna trade up, do it right and go for it all. 

This is where this gets fun, but the last thing the Giants will want to do is trade Rosen to the Jets, even if they don't want him.

This is like war-to the Jets and Bills bid for the pick hoping not to win and drive the price up for the other bidder?  

I think the only way to make an offer for the pick is to figure out a price that is aggressive but fair, and not go off of that too much.  

The Giants should want Nelson in this draft if they don't want Rosen, so the Jets at 6 give them that chance.  They should listen, unless they just don't want to do a deal with the Jets at all.  If the latter is the case, the Jets need to make sure that the Bills pay through the nose.

Is Mac up for this complexity?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

it just can't be allen, the guy needs a redshirt year.  the more i think about the broncos, i think they go BAP not qb.  i think the elway/mayfield interest is a great smokescreen to get a team like the jets to trade ahead of them and push a guy like chubb back to them.  

Think so? Idk if Keenum is enough for them. I think Elway loves Rosen and Mayfield like we do. Think Elway realizes he needs a future QB too.

14 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Every team in the league has their personnel people at the UCLA pro day. They’ve got like 10 draftable players.

At this point, I don't care who they get from the "top 4" as long as they get one of them.  I will get behind any of these young guys and root for them to become our franchise QB.

If we wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to grab someone in the 2nd tier of prospects with the idea of grooming them for a year or two....I'll be buying Colts season tickets.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

This is where this gets fun, but the last thing the Giants will want to do is trade Rosen to the Jets, even if they don't want him.

This is like war-to the Jets and Bills bid for the pick hoping not to win and drive the price up for the other bidder?  

I think the only way to make an offer for the pick is to figure out a price that is aggressive but fair, and not go off of that too much.  

The Giants should want Nelson in this draft if they don't want Rosen, so the Jets at 6 give them that chance.  They should listen, unless they just don't want to do a deal with the Jets at all.  If the latter is the case, the Jets need to make sure that the Bills pay through the nose.

Is Mac up for this complexity?

if the bills offer a buttload of picks to the giants, they take it and run.  the giants 'fixed' their defense with insane FA contracts.  JPP has one hand.  eli apple is a disaster.  the team is on the cusp of a rebuild and they could use a lot of picks.  the team has drafted horribly in recent years.  the bills will trade up for rosen, not allen.  allen will make it out of the top 10.

I’m all for trading up as long as it’s for Darnold, or Rosen don’t care which one (I prefer Darnold, but Rosen is fine), those are the only 2 QB’s worth drafting top 10 IMO.  Also when push comes to shove like the Winston, Mariota draft both teams Browns, and Giants will be more then happy staying put Browns for Darnold, and Giants for Rosen at 1, and 2, both will listen, but in the end neither will move IMO.  After that Allen, and Mayfield are not worth the gamble at 6 so if you are ok with one of those 2 trade back, and hope one is still available, but if not no big deal address all the gaping holes on offense, and edge rusher, or a luxury pick of DT specifically a stud NT type like Vea.

8 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

First of all, how would you know they would still be available, once the Jets trade up?

Second, if the Jets want their guy, the last thing they should do is try to get cute and end up not getting the trade-up. It always cost more than it's worth on paper to trade up at the high-end of the draft, but in this case it is worth the cost.

I’m just asking. Do they have a guy ? Is there any 1 of the 4 they are in love with ? We have a million holes, we can get very quality players with those 2 second round picks. If they don’t love 1, stay at 6 and actually get some help for whatever qb is under center next yr. 

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m all for trading up as long as it’s for Darnold, or Rosen don’t care which one (I prefer Darnold, but Rosen is fine), those are the only 2 QB’s worth drafting top 10 IMO.  Also when push comes to shove like the Winston, Mariota draft both teams Browns, and Giants will be more then happy staying put Browns for Darnold, and Giants for Rosen at 1, and 2, both will listen, but in the end neither will move IMO.  After that Allen, and Mayfield are not worth the gamble at 6 so if you are ok with one of those 2 trade back, and hope one is still available, but if not no big deal address all the gaping holes on offense, and edge rusher, or a luxury pick of DT specifically a stud NT type like Vea.

I know you don't think Mayfield or Allen is worth the 6th pick but if you are comfortable taking either at 12-15 then just pull the trigger at 6. I don't think Macc can afford to get cute and try to maximize value when it comes to the QB position.

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m just asking. Do they have a guy ? Is there any 1 of the 4 they are in love with ? We have a million holes, we can get very quality players with those 2 second round picks. If they don’t love 1, stay at 6 and actually get some help for whatever qb is under center next yr. 

LOGIC alert! lol hell yeah stay put...unless Darnold is the second coming this sell the farm to get him. But what I hear from my college football friends...they say all of em have too many questions..

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Based on pro day workouts, Senior Bowl, Mogglez inside guy and others, Rosen and Mayfield are our two favorite options..which happen to be my own two favorite options so I’m happy at the moment. I just need us to actually pull it off.

It’s Rosen. He’s perfect for a West coast based offense. Get him, Mcc

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I know you don't think Mayfield or Allen is worth the 6th pick but if you are comfortable taking either at 12-15 then just pull the trigger at 6. I don't think Macc can afford to get cute and try to maximize value when it comes to the QB position.

that is also accurate lol...damn jjets off season

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I’m ok with Allen at 15ish, not comfortable with Mayfield period, and I wouldn’t shed any tears if Allen wasn’t available at 12-15.

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

It’s Rosen. He’s perfect for a West coast based offense. Get him, Mcc

You know who else is perfect ?? Luke Falk in the 2nd round. Id love me some Rosen .. but if we take the RB or Chubb in one ... Falk is a pretty good backup plan.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m ok with Allen at 15ish, not comfortable with Mayfield period, and I wouldn’t shed any tears if Allen wasn’t available at 12-15.

I think this forum seriously under sells Allen.

Who do you think would trade up to 6 if the picks ahead of us were Darnold/Rosen/Chubb/Barkley/Nelson? If Allen and Mayfield are left then those are probably the top 5 in some order. The only players moving up for at that point are QBs, if we don't think those 2 are worth of the 6th pick what makes you think other teams want to give up picks to get them?

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I think this forum seriously under sells Allen.

Who do you think would trade up to 6 if the picks ahead of us were Darnold/Rosen/Chubb/Barkley/Nelson? If Allen and Mayfield are left then those are probably the top 5 in some order. The only players moving up for at that point are QBs, if we don't think those 2 are worth of the 6th pick what makes you think other teams want to give up picks to get them?

Bills, take the 2 first rounders, and a 2nd, and let them move up for Allen.

21 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

i think we just as likely stay put at 6 ...

Anyone who thinks this doesn't understanding QB evaluation. (not picking on you, just an easy post to quote)

There's so much that goes into the decision the "Rosen is our guy" Or Mayfield, Allen etc... there's scheme fit decisions, personnel, locker room impact, fit for the staff... etc etc. It's very black and white. THAT is our guy. or not. 

And you don't make that decision, then sit on your a$$ and cross your fingers. You go get him. 

CC. Mike MacCagnan

Archived