Where would you draft this QB ?

Thai Jet

In what round would you draft this QB prospect? Would you draft him at all ?  :

6' 2"  201 lbs.

Career stats 3 yrs.  :

Att.            Comp.       % comp.         Yds.           TD          INT.      Rush Att.        Yds.        Yds. per attempt

374              204               54.3          2713          25            19         190             655                3.45

What say you ?

I need more information like:

What was the average completion percentage for QBs when this player was an option?

What about the average size and weight?

What system did he play in? How does that system project at the next level? 

Is this a silly rhetorical question that uses basic and non-distinguishing stats in order to prop up a guy that misses the mark on every metric to properly evaluate a Qb?

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

6' 2"  201 lbs.

Career stats 3 yrs.  :

Att.            Comp.       % comp.         Yds.           TD          INT.      Rush Att.        Yds.        Yds. per attempt

374              204               54.3          2713          25            19         190             655                3.45

What say you ?

Completely undraftable, since everything you need to know is in those numbers.

Obviously, you're referencing a past prospect who did well.  But you need to know context: how does that compare to a good NFL starter at the time? 

5 minutes ago, baamf said:

Namath, different era...

EXCELLENT !!   Yeah you look at that completion %  and say what the hell?  Even the yardage isn't that great for 3 years. Of courese Joe Willie had a National Championship in there. Craig Morton went 1st round also in the draft. His comp. % was 55.4 with 39 TD's and 31 picks. Morton went #5 in the 1st round while Namath went #12. They were the only 2 QB's taken in the 1st round. None were taken in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

EXCELLENT !!   Yeah you look at that completion %  and say what the hell?  Even the yardage isn't that great for 3 years. Of courese Joe Willie had a National Championship in there. Craig Morton went 1st round also in the draft. His comp. % was 55.4 with 39 TD's and 31 picks. Morton went #5 in the 1st round while Namath went #12. They were the only 2 QB's taken in the 1st round. None were taken in the 2nd round.

Completely different era, to the point that it's crazy to think about how much the game has changed.  I mean, Unitas was the best QB in the league at the time, at 6'1 196. 54.3% completions would've been 5th in the NFL in 1964.  Charley Johnson led the league with a massive 217/ypg, and was one of only 3QBs to average more than 200 yards per game

38 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

6' 2"  201 lbs.

Career stats 3 yrs.  :

What say you ?

Is this QB in this year's draft? 

Just now, Doggin94it said:

Completely different era, to the point that it's crazy to think about how much the game has changed.  I mean, Unitas was the best QB in the league at the time, at 6'1 196. 54.3% completions would've been 5th in the NFL in 1964.  Charley Johnson led the league with a massive 217/ypg, and was one of only 3QBs to average more than 200 yards per game

It IS crazy. You know with the D's not as complex as they are now you'd think the comp. % back then would be better than now.

43 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

6' 2"  201 lbs.

Career stats 3 yrs.  :

What say you ?

Wait, 374 attempts total over three years?

Darnold Mayfield and Rosen were each over 400 for 2017 alone. Tells me that this guy played way before the 'pace and space' era of football.

6 minutes ago, burkett2112 said:

I really hope you aren't throwing these stats out there to argue Josh Allen's numbers aren't important. It was basically a different sport then.

Namath finished his career with 50% completion rate 170tds vs. 220 ints

Nope, just found it interesting that so many QB's back then were barely above 50% . I mentioned it earlier but I would have thought the % would be HIGHER since the defenses are so much more sophisticated and complex now.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Nope, just found it interesting that so many QB's back then were barely above 50% . I mentioned it earlier but I would have thought the % would be HIGHER since the defenses are so much more sophisticated and complex now.

Right, but you aren't factoring in other things.

1. The defensive rules now are extremely in favor of a passing offense.  Jack Tatum was clotheslining guys and damn near killing them in the 70s.  Things you could do in the 60s you can't do now.  Grab a receivers jersey. Touch them when they're more than 5 yards down the field.  Hit them before they've had a chance to ready themselves.  Launch your body at a receiver in order to dislodge the ball.  Lead with your helmet.  Pretty much any level of violent hit whatsoever.

2.  The offensive schemes were also far less complex.  My father coached high school in the 70s 80s.  If they threw the ball more than 2 or 3 times in a game it was a bad sign.  And he held a state record for most consecutive wins.  Now that's an extreme example, but these kids didn't come into school as polished passers back then, and most of them didn't leave polished passers.  Hell, Nebraska was winning national titles through the late 90s running the power option.

3.  Even at the NFL level, because of the commitment to the running game, you were passing in more low percentage situations.  A lot of times it was when you were in third and long.  They also didn't run all these sprint screens and quick swing passes which inflate percentage.

It IS crazy. You know with the D's not as complex as they are now you'd think the comp. % back then would be better than now.

You must be pretty young?

When Namath played , DBs could actually ‘play’ football without being flagged for just looking at a WR cross-ways.

Completion percentages were less because WRs could basically get mugged without a flag. QBs stood in the pocket waiting for a receiver to get open and often got the sh*t kicked out of them with no flags either.

Different game, had little to do with complexity and more to do with the rules IMO

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dave BeBuscherre was a 6’4, 210 lb power forward who smoked two packs a day and he’s one of the top 50 players in NBA history. 

It's like how that old, classic poem goes:

Your pops caught you smokin' and he said no way

That hypocrite smokes two packs a day

Archived