Bates Says Darnold Could be Week 1 Starter

JetNation

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bingo. Nobody saw that coming last yr. In a forum of know it all predictors, nobody likes to be blind sided by the 17 yr ?journeyman lol. Morton was unfairly criticized imo . Passing too much, too much down field ? Ya Todd since your D is the unit that is the 1 under performing, the offense had to score. We weren’t winning games 9-6 like planned. Robbie Anderson was the only real viable threat the O had, how dare he and his big play ability be targeted so much. Matt forte wants to run the ball 1.7 yards?‍♂️

Experts had us at 1-15 last year, many thought their ceiling was 4-12.  Had McCown stayed healthy we'd have been 7-9.

That doesn't mean McCown should start this year; it merely means that the team we're giving to Darnold in September is capable of competing for a wildcard berth and that's what our focus should be right now.  Sitting Darnold would be a mistake, it's not how it works in today's NFL.  If Carson Wentz doesn't start 16 games going 7-9 in 2016 he doesn't lead Philly to 11-2 and the playoffs in 2017.  Rotting on the bench will do Darnold no good. 

SAR I

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Experts had us at 1-15 last year, many thought their ceiling was 4-12.  Had McCown stayed healthy we'd have been 7-9.

SAR I

No they didn't.  The only real experts are the people that put their money on the table.  Vegas had the O/U at 4 1/2.  Jets won 5

The "experts" you are referring to are scribes who are only looking to get clicks on their posts so they said the Jets would go 0-16 to troll an over reacting fan base.  People fell for it, and continue to repeat it.  Doesn't make it true

11 big Jets QB takeaways from OTAs, minicamp | Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater, Josh McCown

Posted June 16, 2018 at 05:00 AM | Updated June 16, 2018 at 05:02 AM

2shares

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Now that the Jets' 13 spring practices are in the books, let's bring you 11 big takeaways on how Sam Darnold, Josh McCown, and Teddy Bridgewater performed, as they compete for the Jets' starting quarterback job. 

Jets Rookie Camp Football
AP Photo

Can Darnold win the Jets' Week 1 starting job as a rookie? 

SPRING STATS

MCCOWN: 114 reps (all with first team), 45-of-63 passing (71.4 percent), one touchdown, one interception

BRIDGEWATER: 92 reps (six with first team), 29-of-47 passing (61.7 percent), three interceptions

DARNOLD: 150 reps (41 with first team), 58-of-95 passing (61 percent), three touchdowns, two interceptions

(Based on the six — of 13 — spring practices reporters were allowed to watch.) 

IS MCCOWN SHOWING HIS AGE?

No, not at all. He still looks spry and enthusiastic out there. He can still make most of the throws. He might not have Darnold's deep ball arm strength, but McCown still appears plenty capable of being a reasonably successful NFL starting quarterback. He had an overall steady spring. Not bad for a guy about to turn 39. 

HOW IS BRIDGEWATER'S KNEE DOING?

Great, by the looks of things. He moved around well throughout spring practices and appeared to have no issues with his surgically repaired knee. From a physical standpoint, at least, he has moved on from that gruesome injury. Now, he just has to continue to grasp the Jets' offense. 

Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

DID THE JETS THROW LESS OF PLAYBOOK AT DARNOLD?

They did not. New offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates said he didn't want to treat Darnold like a rookie. So he asked him to absorb just as much of the playbook as McCown and Bridgewater ... which is to say, the entire thing. Bates is pleased with how Darnold has handled all that knowledge absorption so far. 

DID MCCOWN DO ANYTHING TO GIVE UP HIS SPOT?

No. He was steady enough in the spring and didn't make any glaring mistakes, all while staying healthy. Plus, it's not like the Jets are going to drastically alter their quarterback depth chart off spring practices anyway. Coach Todd Bowles consistently downplays the importance of the spring and these no-pads practices. 

WHAT IF BRIDGEWATER CONTINUES HIS SOLID PLAY?

The Jets will have options. Would they trade Bridgewater? It depends on how badly another team (or teams) needs a quarterback, if an injury happens. It depends on what Bridgewater does in preseason games. And it depends on how Darnold looks. If the Jets feel comfortable enough rolling with Darnold and McCown, and if Bridgewater could command a reasonable draft pick, the Jets could move him. A lot of what-ifs still. 

WHAT IMPRESSES COACHES MOST ABOUT DARNOLD?

Here is what Bates had to say in response to that question:

"His suddenness. If you watch his college tape, he has the ability to make plays off schedule. He's just very sudden. If he sees a guy open, the ball is out now. I kind of describe him as a very sudden player. There's not a lost of wasted thought process, as you go from him thinking to releasing the ball."

Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

WHAT DOES DARNOLD HAVE TO WORK ON STILL?

He didn't take a lot of under-center snaps at USC and didn't have to make pre-snap adjustments at the line of scrimmage. So those are a couple things he is still getting used to with the Jets. Plus, he hasn't done a lot of calling plays in the huddle. He'll need to command a huddle if he is the Jets' Week 1 starter. Darnold expected these to be learning points for him in the spring, and they were. He still has work to do in this area. 

WHO IS TOP QB ENTERING TRAINING CAMP?

McCown entered spring as the incumbent, and as we mentioned, he didn't really do anything to surrender his job, even though the other two quarterbacks handled themselves quite well. Bowles said McCown enters training camp as the No. 1 quarterback, followed by Bridgewater at No. 2, and then Darnold.

HOW CLOSE IS THE RACE RIGHT NOW, THOUGH?

McCown does not have a massive lead. Bridgewater did a nice job in the spring, and Darnold looks like he belongs. If Darnold has a hard-charging start to training camp, watch out. Things could change quickly with the depth chart once preseason games roll around. 

SO DARNOLD HAS A LEGIT CHANCE TO WIN THE JOB?

Yes, absolutely. Bates isn't ruling it out. He said the Jets are going to start the best quarterback, and if that is Darnold, so be it. Bates is not shying away from perhaps starting the rookie. That's how high Bates is on Darnold. He loves the kid's potential. But how quickly can Darnold turn that potential into results this summer? 

McCown, by most advanced statistics was somewhere between the 10th and 15th best qb in the league last year.

This despite having one of the worst Olines in the game, and very mediocre skill players statistically.  Granted a lot has to do with the excellent playcalling on O and the west coast system we used, but still, it should be clear that it's unreasonable to expect a rookie to be a top ten qb right out of the gate.

Also, I think it will be very difficult for Darnold to outright beat McCown in a fair camp battle.  I mean I just don't think its realistic for Darnold to be able to read defenses and command the huddle and playbook like a vet.

So the only reason he would be out there is for the reps.  Which is fine to some extent, playing for the future is important, but still you want to have some sort of team presence, at least before you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

McCown is going to get hurt it's not if it's when. Bridgewater, despite all the awesome press, isn't exactly Ironman. They should just let it play out organically. Especially with the 3 games in 11 days. the Jets play at DET MNF, home opener MIA on 5 days rest and at CLE on 4 day's rest. Someone's going to be a crash test dummy and Darnold will be needed by week 5 one way or another. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

That doesn't mean McCown should start this year; it merely means that the team we're giving to Darnold in September is capable of competing for a wildcard berth and that's what our focus should be right now.  Sitting Darnold would be a mistake, it's not how it works in today's NFL.  If Carson Wentz doesn't start 16 games going 7-9 in 2016 he doesn't lead Philly to 11-2 and the playoffs in 2017.  Rotting on the bench will do Darnold no good. 

SAR I

Wentz was a 24 yr old rookie. Darnold just turned 21. Wentz played all 4 years in college. Darnold only had two seasons under center.

Sanchez only started 1 yr at usc correct ? We saw how ugly he looked in his first few games. He should have been on the 2nd team every week working on the little things that add up. But we had no other viable option. Instead of preparing for opposing D, ect. I wonder if that is why mark never really progressed. He was rushed and never given a chance to slowly kink out his bad habits. We will never know. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I agree with your timeline and your reasoning. I also believe he can learn some things from the sidelines, but that there's a point where the learning ends and you're just wasting time. The fact that the Jets have a new offense and zone blocking scheme also lead me to want someone other than the savior under center while the OL and offense get up to speed. That three games in 11 days thing, also, is a deterrent. No rookie QB, no matter how promising, should have short weeks to prepare for their second and third career starts. So week four, with extra time to prepare for a road game, or week five to start a three-game home stretch, would be my preference. 

But the opening day starter is either gonna be McCown or Darnold, Bridgewater is not in the picture. If Darnold opens the season on the bench, he'll be getting his coaching from his coaches, and from talking to McCown between offensive series. 

+1, in part. Let the new OL, around Spencer Long, go out and get some confidence and chemistry together before throwing them a rookie who is still learning the game. Glossed over in all of these positive camp reports were(apparently) a bunch of jailbreak interior pressures from Leonard Williams and others. If that keeps up, or is a function of bad line calls, it’s gotta be diagnosed and sorted out before Darnold plays. I’m sure he looks awesome throwing the ball to his receivers, but that’s a relatively small fraction of things he’s going to be asked to do. 

16 hours ago, slats said:

I agree with your timeline and your reasoning. I also believe he can learn some things from the sidelines, but that there's a point where the learning ends and you're just wasting time. The fact that the Jets have a new offense and zone blocking scheme also lead me to want someone other than the savior under center while the OL and offense get up to speed. That three games in 11 days thing, also, is a deterrent. No rookie QB, no matter how promising, should have short weeks to prepare for their second and third career starts. So week four, with extra time to prepare for a road game, or week five to start a three-game home stretch, would be my preference. 

But the opening day starter is either gonna be McCown or Darnold, Bridgewater is not in the picture. If Darnold opens the season on the bench, he'll be getting his coaching from his coaches, and from talking to McCown between offensive series. 

Week 4 sounds perfect to me.  We'll see what happens.  It shouldn't be Week 1 and they shouldn't wait past Week 5 most likely.

Bridgewater has looked pretty good.  I think he still has a future as a starting QB in the NFL.  When you say he's not in the picture do you mean at all or simply from a starting option standpoint in Week 1?  I think Teddy is excellent and what the Jets do with him will be very interesting.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Bridgewater has looked pretty good.  I think he still has a future as a starting in the NFL.  When you say he's not in the picture do you mean at all or simply from a starting option standpoint in Week 1?  I think Teddy is excellent and what the Jets do with him will be very interesting.

My rather strong opinion is that they took a flier on Bridgewater as an insurance policy against a McCown injury, or the rookie they wound up with taking his time getting up to speed (or just sucking). Most of our pre-draft conversations were about which of Mayfield or Allen they would wind up taking. No one expected Darnold there, and so far Darnold has been living up to the hype. As a result, I just don't think Bridgewater is in their plans at all. I think they're fast-tracking Darnold, and whether that means week one or four or five as we've discussed I believe they'll want to get him in there ASAP. Bridgewater will be gone next year, and McCown is probably the odds-on favorite to be Darnold's backup next year. I think they'll actively be shopping Teddy. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

My rather strong opinion is that they took a flier on Bridgewater as an insurance policy against a McCown injury, or the rookie they wound up with taking his time getting up to speed (or just sucking). Most of our pre-draft conversations were about which of Mayfield or Allen they would wind up taking. No one expected Darnold there, and so far Darnold has been living up to the hype. As a result, I just don't think Bridgewater is in their plans at all. I think they're fast-tracking Darnold, and whether that means week one or four or five as we've discussed I believe they'll want to get him in there ASAP. Bridgewater will be gone next year, and McCown is probably the odds-on favorite to be Darnold's backup next year. I think they'll actively be shopping Teddy. 

Gotta feel bad for teddy B. He could only muster 500k guaranteed, for the jets. That was his best offer ? It was a no brainer for Mac to sign him for that. It seems he could have been cut pretty early, I still think Mac didn’t want to give up on hackenberg. But he just plain out sucks, and he finally had to accept reality. The fact that darnold is progressing well, I think they will look to trade bridgewater. Hopefully a team gets desperate, some qb will get injured in camp. Let’s hope it’s ours though ha 

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Gotta feel bad for teddy B. He could only muster 500k guaranteed, for the jets. That was his best offer ? It was a no brainer for Mac to sign him for that. It seems he could have been cut pretty early, I still think Mac didn’t want to give up on hackenberg. But he just plain out sucks, and he finally had to accept reality. The fact that darnold is progressing well, I think they will look to trade bridgewater. Hopefully a team gets desperate, some qb will get injured in camp. Let’s hope it’s ours though ha 

Reading Hackenberg's comments after being "traded," I get the feeling that besides sucking he also has a crap attitude. Without that, they might've held onto him as a fourth camp arm/guy to play the fourth preseason game/practice squad candidate. I think they just didn't want him moping around Sam. 

12 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Somebody here needs to dial it back. Being offensive does not make your argument more persuasive. It just makes you look like a d*ck. 

Blaaaaaaaaah. And your reply makes you look like sucking one.

13 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Bowles isn’t as dumb as you think. He knows he will be fired if he doesn’t play Darnold this year and he has a chance to be around for a while if he plays him and he plays well. He played McCown last year not because he was in love with him but because he was the best QB on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You’re right he isn’t as dumb as I think. He’s dumber.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Week 4 sounds perfect to me.  We'll see what happens.  It shouldn't be Week 1 and they shouldn't wait past Week 5 most likely.

Bridgewater has looked pretty good.  I think he still has a future as a starting in the NFL.  When you say he's not in the picture do you mean at all or simply from a starting option standpoint in Week 1?  I think Teddy is excellent and what the Jets do with him will be very interesting.

Week 4 is good in theory, but if McCown does start the season does anyone really believe that Bowles will make a switch outside of an injury? I don't see it if McCown is at least playing average and even a little below average for that matter. He'd have to be stinking up the joint or get hurt. So I'm hoping that Sam wins the job outright to start the season. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

Reading Hackenberg's comments after being "traded," I get the feeling that besides sucking he also has a crap attitude. Without that, they might've held onto him as a fourth camp arm/guy to play the fourth preseason game/practice squad candidate. I think they just didn't want him moping around Sam. 

This makes a lot of sense.  Having a toxic Hackenberg around would not be good this summer.  It was time to cut bait.  If they need another QB for the last PS game, they can pick one up easily enough.  

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

You’re right he isn’t as dumb as I think. He’s dumber.

Exactly - he gives us the best chance to win, blah,blah. I like Chris Johnson so far, but I don't think he has the guts yet to force a decision on the HC. He should of gotten rid of Bowles when he had the chance to last year. 

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

No they didn't.  The only real experts are the people that put their money on the table.  Vegas had the O/U at 4 1/2.  Jets won 5

The "experts" you are referring to are scribes who are only looking to get clicks on their posts so they said the Jets would go 0-16 to troll an over reacting fan base.  People fell for it, and continue to repeat it.  Doesn't make it true

I meant 'experts' in this forum.  I could care less about betting lines which are created to get people to lose money and not based on actual predicted performance.

SAR I

12 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wentz was a 24 yr old rookie. Darnold just turned 21. Wentz played all 4 years in college. Darnold only had two seasons under center.

Sanchez only started 1 yr at usc correct ? We saw how ugly he looked in his first few games. He should have been on the 2nd team every week working on the little things that add up. But we had no other viable option. Instead of preparing for opposing D, ect. I wonder if that is why mark never really progressed. He was rushed and never given a chance to slowly kink out his bad habits. We will never know. 

Agreed on Darnold's age and experience level, but there is something to be said about getting in real work in real games at NFL speed rather than sitting on a bench.  NFL history has shown success with both approaches, for every patient Aaron Rodgers there is a let-him-loose Troy Aikman.  If the player is good enough he can perform well after a few games.  Yes, there is a danger of a rough start but I don't get the sense that this kid is tempermental or will succumb to criticism.

It's imperative that we get our future underway.  I'd hate for this to be a bench year with a lame duck head coach.  The Jets aren't being quiet-  they're on record saying that if he's ready he's going to start so we'll see how this plays out.  Sounds like it's his job to lose, not to win.

SAR I

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed on Darnold's age and experience level, but there is something to be said about getting in real work in real games at NFL speed rather than sitting on a bench.  NFL history has shown success with both approaches, for every patient Aaron Rodgers there is a let-him-loose Troy Aikman.  If the player is good enough he can perform well after a few games.  Yes, there is a danger of a rough start but I don't get the sense that this kid is tempermental or will succumb to criticism.

It's imperative that we get our future underway.  I'd hate for this to be a bench year with a lame duck head coach.  The Jets aren't being quiet-  they're on record saying that if he's ready he's going to start so we'll see how this plays out.  Sounds like it's his job to lose, not to win.

SAR I

I think you are a pretty smart guy to understand this. We are far from the team we were 09/10. We had all the pieces then, we really just needed the qb. So wrong or right, we didn’t give a dam about rushing mark., Wether it rushing him would stunt his growth, we had to Take that chance given the stacked team we had. It almost worked.. Now this team is a far cry from the 09/10 teams. Darnold can play lights out and we still wouldn’t be better then 7-9, 8-8 at very best. So we don’t need to throw him in the fire and risk stunting his growth just to amuse the season ticket holders..

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think you are a pretty smart guy to understand this. We are far from the team we were 09/10. We had all the pieces then, we really just needed the qb. So wrong or right, we didn’t give a dam about rushing mark., Wether it rushing him would stunt his growth, we had to Take that chance given the stacked team we had. It almost worked.. Now this team is a far cry from the 09/10 teams. Darnold can play lights out and we still wouldn’t be better then 7-9, 8-8 at very best. So we don’t need to throw him in the fire and risk stunting his growth just to amuse the season ticket holders..

No you throw him in the fire with those non playoff expectations which allow him to be allowed to play his game, not having to worry about playing safe, and red, yellow, green lights to not screw up a darn near super bowl roster like guys like Peyton, Luck, Wentz to name a few were allowed to do so hopefully come 2019 with another 1st rounder coming in, and 100 mill more to spend on FA’s Sam is in that Peyton, Luck, Wentz year 2 position (those 3 combined for 35 wins in 45 starts in their second seasons after having zero restrictions to sling it how they see fit make the mistakes, and learn from them so they were ready to succeed by year 2, and I firmly believe Darnold is that caliber QB prospect always have).

37 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

If darnold plays lights out we cant be better than 7 or 8 wins? 

Based on what? If hes playing lights out hes scoring tds. Anything could happen. 

Tell me what team has had a lights out hot shot qb that ended up with a losing record

Lol.. oh man. The expectations for this kid should be very high. I can see now already there will be jackasses calling him a bust if he does not reach his full potential by game 4. It will be more like 4 years. He led the nation in turnovers last yr, in college.. You expect him to put a entire “ pro “team on his back and carry us into the playoffs ? Josh McCown had almost pro bowl numbers last yr, and we still only won 5 games. We do need to get this kid major help next offseason. It’s not fair to allow him to try to develop with 1 of the worst Olines in the league.

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I see a parallel with Troy Aikman who benefited from going 0-11, 7-8, and 7-5 and learning and growing while the team was being built around him, ultimately going 13-3 and the Super Bowl in his fourth season.  Especially the way it works today-  we saw first hand what happened in the media and with the fans with Hackenberg and right now Darnold is very confident and we don't want him to lose that mojo as it's so important in a quarterback-destroying city like New York.

And, as stated, the Jets are currently a 6-7 win team and not some 1 win joke like the Cowboys were, it's not like Darnold would get killed.  If he played just to the level of McCown it would be considered a success and then he comes out in '19 as an experienced vet and not some raw redshirt who is being questioned in the media and has lost confidence as Bridgewater blossoms.

Point being, we don't have a bottom feeder roster so there's no reason to protect him.  If he knows the playbook and looks good in preseason, he's the starter in Week 1.  I don't want to waste a year of his development needlessly.  Better to go 6-10 with Darnold than Bridgewater or friggin' McCown.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I see a parallel with Troy Aikman who benefited from going 0-11, 7-8, and 7-5 and learning and growing while the team was being built around him, ultimately going 13-3 and the Super Bowl in his fourth season.  Especially the way it works today-  we saw first hand what happened in the media and with the fans with Hackenberg and right now Darnold is very confident and we don't want him to lose that mojo as it's so important in a quarterback-destroying city like New York.

And, as stated, the Jets are currently a 6-7 win team and not some 1 win joke like the Cowboys were, it's not like Darnold would get killed.  If he played just to the level of McCown it would be considered a success and then he comes out in '19 as an experienced vet and not some raw redshirt who is being questioned in the media and has lost confidence as Bridgewater blossoms.

Point being, we don't have a bottom feeder roster so there's no reason to protect him.  If he knows the playbook and looks good in preseason, he's the starter in Week 1.  I don't want to waste a year of his development needlessly.  Better to go 6-10 with Darnold than Bridgewater or friggin' McCown.

SAR I

Well said and Happy Fathersday!

44 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol.. oh man. The expectations for this kid should be very high. I can see now already there will be jackasses calling him a bust if he does not reach his full potential by game 4. It will be more like 4 years. He led the nation in turnovers last yr, in college.. You expect him to put a entire “ pro “team on his back and carry us into the playoffs ? Josh McCown had almost pro bowl numbers last yr, and we still only won 5 games. We do need to get this kid major help next offseason. It’s not fair to allow him to try to develop with 1 of the worst Olines in the league.

McCown didn't get murdered behind that OL.  No way he puts up near Pro Bowl numbers if the line was that bad.

It's Darnold's job to lose.  If he shows he's ready he's getting the ball.  Not to placate season ticket holders but so he gets a year of experience under his belt.  Brady may be retired a year from now and we have a chance to have the best QB in the division, not some question mark raw redshirt who is years behind Allen and Tannehill.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Well said and Happy Fathersday!

Thank you, Crush, and hope the same for you.  We each have an army of kids so we should be showing off our gifts later today.  I'd be happy with a new grill, better not be lunch and Incredibles 2.

SAR I

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I agree. If Sam WINS the starter job, then get him under center. Im not for annointing him the starter if it hasnt been earned. He wont be damaged goods if he doesnt start from day 1.

I do think this team could reach 10 wins though.

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

McCown didn't get murdered behind that OL.  No way he puts up near Pro Bowl numbers if the line was that bad.

It's Darnold's job to lose.  If he shows he's ready he's getting the ball.  Not to placate season ticket holders but so he gets a year of experience under his belt.  Brady may be retired a year from now and we have a chance to have the best QB in the division, not some question mark raw redshirt who is years behind Allen and Tannehill.

SAR I

The line was that bad. He did get murdered in Denver. He did get sacked often. A rookie usually takes more time to throw. Darnold is not know to have that quick of a release. Ranked 30 out of 32, and that was with a very healthy line. At least we got rid of by far the worst center in the entire nfl. 

I’m for whatever makes darnold the better qb in 2-3 years from now. Will leave it to the “experts “ to decide when he is ready ?

77E738FD-1C5B-4592-BDD4-293B17A50635.png

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The line was that bad. He did get murdered in Denver. He did get sacked often. A rookie usually takes more time to throw. Darnold is not know to have that quick of a release. Ranked 30 out of 32, and that was with a very healthy line. At least we got rid of by far the worst center in the entire nfl. 

I’m for whatever makes darnold the better qb in 2-3 years from now. Will leave it to the “experts “ to decide when he is ready ?

Winters played hurt all year long and probably shouldn't have started. That's not a very healthy line

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thank you, Crush, and hope the same for you.  We each have an army of kids so we should be showing off our gifts later today.  I'd be happy with a new grill, better not be lunch and Incredibles 2.

SAR I

Cooking 2 incredible lunches with a  new grill? I’m down!

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Only 1 starter partially hurt all year. That is considered a very lucky OLine unit. 

He was more than partially injured and it affected his play significantly. I don't consider that "very healthy" when you're starting guard play is materially affected by an injury. That side of the line was the weak link and injury was a major cause of it

34 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You mean the clickbait 'experts' you were referring to yesterday?

I'm just playing with you anyway as I have recently returned from the future and know how this plays out.  I can't say anything because of repercussions on future events but let's just say that your view of when Mr. Darnold should make his first start is incorrect and you probably would be better off getting behind another thesis.

SAR I

23 minutes ago, billo83 said:

He was more than partially injured and it affected his play significantly. I don't consider that "very healthy" when you're starting guard play is materially affected by an injury. That side of the line was the weak link and injury was a major cause of it

Yes having only 1 of 5 guys hurt for the entire yr is considered a fairly healthy unit. Most teams delt with more injures to their Oline. Look at philly, they had some key injures government their Oline, but their OL was doc stacked they hardly missed a beat. Your making excuses that 1 of 5 guys is hurt ( but still can play ) like it’s rare anyone ever gets injured. Your point is that our line is so bad with no depth to allow winters to sit, and if 1 of 5 gets hurt this yr too we could be looking at another excuse why our OL is so bad. Not because we haven’t drafted a OL before the 5th round since, Brian winters.

Archived